TXHunter 23-Aug-10
BULELK1 24-Aug-10
Steve H. 24-Aug-10
Steve H. 24-Aug-10
Txnrog 24-Aug-10
Shrewski 24-Aug-10
BULELK1 24-Aug-10
11-Jan-06
Mitochondrial DNA evidence has demonstrated that Fannin sheep are in fact Dall sheep and not Stone sheep (as they are routinely recorded). The Yukon wildlife folks have been saving the drilled out core material from their horn plugging program for roughly a decade and researchers can also tell what range an individual sheep is from.

The DNA testing has also demonstrated that Stone sheep are a hybrid between Dall sheep and the Rocky Mountain Bighorn!

There are true stone sheep in the south central part of the Yukon and of course with the exception of the extreme NW corner of BC, their sheeep are all Stones. I suspect that as the word gets out the price of a true stone sheep hunt will go even higher as many hunters who once thought they had a "Grand Slam" realize that they are a ram short....

11-Jan-06
Do you have a link to a study or evidence?

11-Jan-06
The DNA Grand Slam.....kinda gotta ring to it!4 test tubes for 1/10,000 the of the price :)Taxidermists are going to be PO'ed!

Informative post,Steve

11-Jan-06
During a Dall hunt in the NWT in August, I read a report that was commissioned by the Canadian government and their finding was there was absolutely no genetic difference between a Dall and a Stone. The visiable diffence is nothing more than a color phase.

The outfitter that I was hunting with said that they only begin to see color (Dark) on their Dall sheep about 10 years ago. Now almost half of the Dall rams have color. The ram I took had a considerable amount of color on his legs, rump, and stomach.

I think it was Dennis Campbell that said a true white sheep will be a thing of the past within the next 20 years. I think he is probably correct.

11-Jan-06
Steve H. -

Please direct us to the source of your information. I would sincerely appreciate it.

As for: "The DNA testing has also demonstrated that Stone sheep are a hybrid between Dall sheep and the Rocky Mountain Bighorn!"

I'm not buying any of that line.

11-Jan-06
I have hard copies of these studies. Ok, I should have seen this coming. Who can I send one to that can scan it and send it to the boys?

HH, I already have a copy for you and Janet if you pm me an address.

One is in "Molecular Ecology" and one was puplished in "Journal of Evolutionary Biology".

Roger, I suspect that what you read was either one of those I have or confused "stone" with "Fannins"????

RamDreamer: The hybridization is omething that happened in an area that was isolated, as in an island of land surrounded by glaciers or "Glacial Refugia". The hybridization was an event that occurred thousands of years ago.

Remember, although these studies were done with mtDNA; DNA is admissible in court as proof positive!

11-Jan-06
Also,

Since color (non-white) in dalls is dominant, once some becomes "genetically available" and if there is nothing to select against it, then color is what we will and are getting!

11-Jan-06
So, the Dalls in the Northern Yukon (Olgilvie Mts) were the first to have color available? There are no TRUE Stones within 300 miles of them.

I'm keeping MY Fannin as a Stone ;~). I can't afford to go after a true one!

11-Jan-06
I can scan them for you. PM me if you still need it done.

11-Jan-06
"DNA is admissible in court as proof positive!" I find that statement a bit misleading. DNA can be a powerful tool for identification, both of species and individuals, but data interpretation, especially in discerning species, is not always straightforward. To be clear, I'm not disputing the results you state as I haven't read the journal articles, but we have to keep things in perspective. Yes, DNA evidence is usually admissible in court, but it is by no means a given that the presentation of that evidence will provide the result the presenter of the evidence wishes (OJ Simpson case comes to mind-the DNA evidence was very compelling, but aparrently it wasn't "proof positive" for the jury). Species identification can be tricky, and there may be contention over the results of these data in the future-or maybe not, have to wait and see... Phil

11-Jan-06
Dan,

I sent you a PM and will mail you a copy to scan so we can let "the boys" see the publications first-hand.

PB,

Sure there is interpretation involved and a specific level determination isn't the only thing to be garnished here although my initial thoughts are that a new species designation of "Ovis stonei" (italics intended) might not be all that unlikely!

Like I mentioned earlier, most of these individuals can be identified by mtDNA to one unique mountain range. They even were able to detect an "illegal" harvest that was in the mix.

11-Jan-06
Are these the articles in question?

Sandbrew

http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/faculty/david_coltman/uploads/pdf/JEB2005b.pdf

http://www.nwtwildlife.com/Publications/JournalPublications/pdfdocuments/Worley_2004_GeneticStuctSheep

11-Jan-06
http://www.nwtwildlife.com/Publications/JournalPublications/gates1.htm

That is it Sandbrew, thanks. Now we don't need to do it the old fashioned way by snailmail and scanners!

The second link above is incomplete. Here is a link to the abstract with a link to download a .pdf:

http://www.nwtwildlife.com/Publications/JournalPublications/gates1.htm

11-Jan-06

Appletree's Link
http://www.zoology.ubc.ca/~irwin/GreenishWarblers.html

The Preble's Meadow Jumping Mouse ain't got nuthin' on the Greenish Warbler (link provided).

So just what is a species anyway?

Appletree

11-Jan-06
Interesting reading....really doesn't matter to me if they are white, brown grey or green. All these sheep live in beautiful country and I hope to hunt anyone of them again....someday

Is it possible natural selection is causing darker dall sheep to me prevalent since the white coats stand out at a distance to all hunters wolves included?

It's going to be a tough sell.....but I'm going to try to convince the wife I need to hunt Dall sheep before all the white ones are gone. ;-)

Sandbrew

12-Jan-06
Perhaps white dalls are less visible to predators in the long winter darkness when they are most vulnerable? I dunno!

As an "ex" paleontologist, I know that what I believe to be differentiation at the species level is perhaps a bit different than the definitions I always saw in print. Of course I only ever had hard-tissue morphology to go by.

I don't believe that it is entirely infeasible/unrealistic to have two closely related species that can interbreed and produce a viable offsprinf for one. Most definitions preclude that option.

Oh yeah, since you brought it up HH.....likely that CA bighorns and deserts may be a bit more cosely related than earlier suspected versus closest link to O. canadensis.

Yes, all beautiful critters and they even become more facinating to many of us when we learn and understand more about their life-history!

12-Jan-06
Thanx Steve & Sandbrew - Very interesting reading! Yep it be interesting to see where it all falls with the slam boys! But I do like HornHunters attitude! LOL

12-Jan-06
I think the key item that contradicts the thoughts that white coloration will be removed is the fact that these sheep are "philopatric" (the big word for the day). Bottom line is many sheep ranges are isolated and insulated from genetic influx and thus if the right genes aren't there now and "available" then it ain't goina happen!

I am now convinced that we will continue to see more and more fannin coloration in ranges that have a link to where fannin coloration is being seen today and it is already proving out. That would include the Tannana Uplands of Alaska.

I don't think there is a link between the Brooks Range and other sheep range other than a couple hundred miles of black spruce bogs and these genetic studies alreay indicate that much smaller distances pose a barrier.

HH, will mail a copy to you today.

12-Jan-06

MNHunter's Link
How will they classify ones that glow in the dark????

18-Jan-06
HH,

I suspect you got it backwards (again?).

I suspect the larger, more aggressive bighorn did the "tapping".....and pay attention, she was a dall, well at least at first!

06-Jun-06
ttt

06-Jun-06
I have seen several Dalls in the Alaska Range south of Fairbanks that had black tails and black hairs along the crest of the back, as well as some black hairs in the brisket area.

And I think most everyone knows about the "fannin" sheep in the upper Charley River country and up the Kandik and the Nation.

Some of those eastern AK sheep have enough gray in them that they would certainly "pass" for real Fannins, were they located somewhere else.

Pete

23-Aug-10
"I am now convinced that we will continue to see more and more fannin coloration in ranges that have a link to where fannin coloration is being seen today and it is already proving out. That would include the Tannana Uplands of Alaska." (Steve H. 2006)

OMG, I am a prophet! I finally saw my first Alaska fannin last week a HUNDRED miles from the Canadian border in the TU! Then the day my pilot picked me up he saw his first 50-60 miles west of the border in the TU!

I have an unloaded pic, not a very good one, but will add soon.

23-Aug-10
Fannin hunt prices have increased dramatically over the past few years.

They used to be thought of as a "poor man's Stone's sheep" but are now being marketed more as a unique subspecies that (along with the California bighorn) are needed complete the true "North American Slam".

Whatever they are taxonomically,I think they are the most beautiful North American sheep.

23-Aug-10
"I think the key item that contradicts the thoughts that white coloration will be removed is the fact that these sheep are "philopatric" (the big word for the day). Bottom line is many sheep ranges are isolated and insulated from genetic influx and thus if the right genes aren't there now and "available" then it ain't goina happen!

I am now convinced that we will continue to see more and more fannin coloration in ranges that have a link to where fannin coloration is being seen today and it is already proving out. That would include the Tannana Uplands of Alaska.

I don't think there is a link between the Brooks Range and other sheep range other than a couple hundred miles of black spruce bogs and these genetic studies alreay indicate that much smaller distances pose a barrier."

White Mountains, North Brooks seem way too remote to be influenced by Canadian stone herds. I guess we'll see.

I'd bet that the white sheep aren't going anywhere. The only thing really new here is the mitochondrial test result linking the fannin to the dall exclusively. The TU fannin sighting seems perfectly logical (in spite of the distance involved) given the areas proximity to the Yukon.

It is much akin to spotting the occasional mule deer in the Wrangells in Alaska. If a breeding Stone ram gets into an area dominated by dalls the rest is history.

23-Aug-10
Not to sound like too much of a geek, and i don't claim to know anything about sheep genetics and very little about genetics in general.

But I read a book a few years ago called "Mapping the Human Genome" and it discusses tracking humans and their geneology through the use of mitochondrial DNA. It is interesting, as they use it to track civilizations of humans on different islands and continents through mtDNA, which is apparently the most ancient type of DNA in a cell and different fthe DNA found in the nucleus of cells that carry the genetics that make you you and among other things are used for IDing a person in a crime etc...

From what I gathered, the time frames that can be looked at by comparing mitochondreal are in the tens of thousands of years type timeframes - which I would guess could show at least some evolutionary link between lots of different species of sheep which assumedly all evolved at some point from a single species if you go back far enough?

But again, I am no expert - just read a book at a Holiday Inn Express one night!

23-Aug-10
Can you find a way to make CA bighorns a desert bighorn. It'll most likely save me 60,000.00. That is I need to draw my CA bighorn tag first.

23-Aug-10
I use the "R-A-P" approach OA. Raffles,Apps,and Prayers...

:-)

24-Aug-10
so this is pretty much the very same info we got about 4-5 years ago?

Nothing has really changed for P&Y or B&C nor Grand Slam acceptance---correct?

Good luck, Robb

24-Aug-10

Steve H.'s embedded Photo
Steve H.'s embedded Photo
Here she is. Had a bit of trouble figuring how to zoom and crop on my new MS Office. I took a look at the map and looks like about 120 miles from the border.

Robb, I don't think the recording groups wanna tell some one (a bunch of hunters) that ummm, no you don't have a slam like you thought, you have two Dalls, one is just a gray color phase. Now go get your Stone..... Guarantee they will resist!

24-Aug-10
BTW, there were another 12-15 white dalls to the right of our gray friend in the photo and traveling with her earlier that day. A couple lambs seemed to have a faint gray too.

24-Aug-10
Y'all should pick up a copy of 'The Arc of Wild Sheep'. All true Ovis species readily hybridize, the distinctions between species and subspecies are often hunter defined, not scientifically defined. If you look at the species in areas like Iran and some of the hymalayas, you'll see that most are based on regional variations of the same species. Really in NA, there are two sheep, the 'thin horned sheep' stones, fannins, and dalls, and there are bighorns, Calis, Deserts, and RM Bigs. All the other distinctions are what we've come up with to find an excuse to tell the wife to go on another once in a lifetime trip ;-)

24-Aug-10
Don't know if this will show any better, but here are a couple of her friends

Photobucket

24-Aug-10
That certainly makes $ense Steve!

Thanks, good logic.

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear