BC 12-Sep-06
Slingblade 12-Sep-06
WHITETAIL 12-Sep-06
lonewolf 13-Sep-06
BC 13-Sep-06
GooseSlayer 13-Sep-06
Slingblade 13-Sep-06
03-Sep-06
Is anyone out there using or has used Tree Hoppers drill bit and Allen bolts to access their tree stands? I can see advantages and disadvantages to this system but would like to hear from someone who has used this stuff before. BTW I will only use these on privite land as Michigan does not allow screw in tree steps on state land. Thanks guys.

03-Sep-06
good system but with minor problems. i've had times where i get to my tree only to realize that the holes had filled with water which are now froze. make sure you don't pull out at all when climbing or you will test gravity! bolts are .50 cents which is alot cheaper than steps. if your gonna leave them in for the season the freezing water shouldn't be a problem but where i hunt if i leave them in they will get stolen along with my stand!

04-Sep-06
I use it religiously the last 2 seasons. I take the bottom 4 or 5 out when I climb down. I lay them under some leaves close by. When it's rained and you slide the bolts back in...they will squirt water out at you! I never thought about the freezing thing...I'll remember it now though and carry some screw ins for emergency.

One thing to watch...if your boots have cleets in the sole...I have had a step halfway up pull out when I raised my foot to the next step. Getting down I had to hang on to a step and the tree and slide down to the next step since the one came out. Since I am aware of that happening...I have not had that problem again! I also put mine in at a slight upward angle now.

I really like Tree Hopper Steps and Drill Bit!!

04-Sep-06
This is similar to the ones I've bought from this guy. I've used mine and can say it works. I just need about 5 more as I'm 5.4" and the height that I can get is about10-12'.

here's the link... http://www.woodyhunting.com/index.html

04-Sep-06
You've got to love Buster. See him at many sports shows with great products. Aways a pleasure to chat with him.

04-Sep-06
Scratch my last post. Used them today and figured out how to effectively use them. Got closer to 18-20 feet today just out practicing and setting up places to hunt.

04-Sep-06

04-Sep-06
Oops.

Great system. Its all I use. Buster is awesome and stands behind his products. Been using the system now for about 8 years. No more screw ins for me.

05-Sep-06
where are you buying them at .50 a piece? thanks

05-Sep-06
I dont use the steps but i will tell you one thing Tree Hoppers belt for hanging stands is the best thing since sliced bread. Talk about a great idea.. Walt

05-Sep-06
I have used them for years. They work great. Alan

05-Sep-06
Been using them for 13 years. It's all I use on private land. I'll set up 15-20 trees to "hop" around on during season. I've got the cordless drill bit, and the hand drill both. Hand drill works great during season when I need to be quiet. I love being able to pull my steps on the way down the tree, and know that my stand is safe. Take no time to slip the steps back in the next time. I have had the holes freeze up... but in central IL, we don't get all that much crappy weather. If so, I carry the hand drill to open the holes back up. Just take about 3 turns to cut through the ice.

05-Sep-06
I like this system also. I've been using it with good results for 4 years now. I seldom use screw-in steps anymore.

05-Sep-06
i get the bolts from BIG R for about 50 cents. they are sold by the pound. they are not the same exact bolts as tree hopper sells as they have a regular head instead of the hex head but they are strong and do not bend.

05-Sep-06
where is big r out of?

05-Sep-06
yea baldy...I'd like to get a couple (read 5) more. Also, is there a place to get the hand drill for cheaper than 40+ dollars?

Paul

06-Sep-06
Make sure you use a least Grade 5 bolts, Grade 8 being even better. I have bent the cheap Home Depot bolts. The good bolts are approx. $1.50 ea. Look on top of the hex head and you will see the rating. The better bolts are much stronger and are made of better steel.

06-Sep-06
A buddy and I have been using these for about 6 years or so. We must have 90 bolts between us. They are awesome. They won't come out if you lift your foot up instead of "out" when you go to the next step. The other great thing is that the steps never move or pivot like others do because they are just straight into the tree. Dwayne

PS: I would NEVER use anything other than hardened grade 8 bolts if you decide to "roll your own!"

07-Sep-06
My number one method for many years.

08-Sep-06
So many good posts, now I want 'em!

08-Sep-06

NewHunter1 's Link
Sure wish Baldy would come back on and answer my last post. Where can I get some bolts for .50 apiece? Now does anyone know where I can get a hand drill like the one in the tree hopper sells or Woody products sells?

Paul

08-Sep-06
Make sure you buy HARDENED BOLTS!!!! Grade #9 I think!

08-Sep-06

KC's Link
Paul, is tree hopper selling the hand-drills again? They quit selling them for a while... cost too much to produce. The ones that Buster sold with the wooden handle were awesome. I lost one a few years ago, and our local shop had one on the shelf... probably been there for 10 years. I picked it up pretty cheap.

There's another one being made... it's on Simmons (broadhead) website. I think it's called a Woodpecker. Same principle... but just not the same quality as the old tree hopper. They sell the hardened bolts, too... like a buck apiece.

08-Sep-06
Guess you can't post pics??????

Follow the link above... you'll see the Woodpecker.

08-Sep-06
KC,

Thanks for the heads up. I see that Simmons is selling the hand drill, but for 49.95 + S/H I'll have to look elsewhere. I think Buster (woody) is selling his for 41.00+bolts. I will look again, and I'm not above taking my drill in and using the ole dewalt. As long as I do it slow to keep down the noise I should be ok....should be. I may however buy the 8 bolts for 8.00. That would give me 19 bolts to get to any height in any tree. For now however I'll wait until the end of the year and purchase this during the summer months. I did buy 40#'s of grade 8 bolts in 3/8" x 6", 3/8" x 5, and 3/8" x 4" that I'm not going to use. I tested these bolts out and they are not nearly as stong as the bolts I got from Buster. They bend...looking to sell them as I don't have any use for them, but not for someone to hurt or kill themselves hunting.

Paul

08-Sep-06

NewHunter1's Link
KC,

I looked on the treehopper website and they are only selling the cordless drill bit. Sorry for the confusion. Here's their website. http://treehopper-llc.com/

Or see the link...don't know if I did that right or not.

09-Sep-06
Ok, I'm sold. Just sent in my order. Thanks guys.

11-Sep-06

11-Sep-06
Trying to get an order in to Woody. Anybody know a good way(other than the phone) to place an order? Steve

11-Sep-06
Call and leave a message...he'll get back with you. Also, I think you can place in order by mailing in what you want...just give him your CC # or a check. Not to sure as I placed an order via phone.

Paul

12-Sep-06
Thanks, Paul. Steve

12-Sep-06
Rerod (or rebar to some) cut into 8" lenghts works just as well. If you or any of your friends work in the trades, it's easy to get scraps.

12-Sep-06
Interesting. Are they 3/8 in diameter?

12-Sep-06
I wouldn't use anything besides the grade 8 bolts with this system. I've just accumulated mine over the years of using this system. I'll bet I have 150+ bolts all grade 8. No sense in trying to use less if the possibility exists to get hurt. Get a few here and there and pretty soon you'll have plenty for many different set ups. I have many of mine still in the trees from last year for return to some of my favorite stands. If you want to remove them you can usually pull them out w/in a year or so. Greater than that you'll need a large allen wrench to remove them, but they still come right out. By the way they are 5/16" and not 3/8" I believe. I have about 40 bolts rusting a bit in the backyard now so they'll be ready for this season. You can put in 14 bolts and be in your stand in the time it will take you to put in 5 screw ins. Awesome system guys!!

13-Sep-06
where is the cheapeast to buy them? thanks

13-Sep-06
Yeah, rerod is 3/8". If you can get scraps for nothing they work great. Have never seen one bend. These rods are used to re enforce concrete. They are very strong.

13-Sep-06
Here is the site you want to visit. Great products by people who know bow hunting.

http://www.treehopper-llc.com/

13-Sep-06
Got through to Woody. Should have everything by the weekend. Great people. Is the rust on these bolts a problem? They are alloy steel which can rust. Any sense in cold galvanizing. Or is the rust part of the blending in effect. By the way, thanks for all the input. Safe and successful hunting for all.

• Sitka Gear