Boomerdog in OK 05-Feb-07
trojanman 06-Feb-07
Archerontario 06-Feb-07
Archerontario 06-Feb-07
pybowhunter68 06-Feb-07
Coolcop 07-Feb-07
Coolcop 07-Feb-07
05-Feb-07
I would like to start feeding some local and huntable White Tail deer possibly Turkey.

Problem is I am seeking a very simple and effective feeder. I don't desire any electronics and I would prefer one that Cattle can't nudge or get into without fencing off, so I need to be able to manipulate the location as well.

Do any of the Bowsiters have a DIY simple and effective feeder that you would share the plans with me.

Should you care to PM me that would be great.

Thanks and Happy Trails.

Poppop

05-Feb-07
U need about 5-8 feet of 4in PVC pipe, 1 4in PVC Y, 2 4in PVC caps.

Put one cap on one end and then put the Y on the other end so the Y would be looking up, put a little stub piece in the bottom of the Y, put a cap on the bottom. I spray paint mine brown to blend with the trees. I also hang it like 18in to 2 foot off the ground.

05-Feb-07
Google Jesse Outdoors and go to the forums section. Look for game trail camera and camcorders forum. Look at the thread called, "Antler trap worked" and scroll down. You will see one of mine in action and a lot of close ups of how to build it. Very simple PVC feeder that moose described. I would post the picks here but I am not at my computer.

Bob Urban

05-Feb-07
Thanks, Moose and Bushbow. I am on my way to the Plumbing suppliers.

05-Feb-07
Good luck finding something that cattle won't destroy. If it has grain it, they'll get it.

It's amazing how they can mess things up.

05-Feb-07
I never have a problem with cattle.........but, we only use whole corn. Also, I was at a low fence ranch hunting hogs and I saw cattle go by a feeder and not even give it a 2nd look. I asked the rancher and he said they never mess with it. Are you using a different kind of grain? Also, I use a 8" PVC pipe about 6' tall. It will hold almost 100 pounds.

05-Feb-07

lil buck's embedded Photo
lil buck's embedded Photo
heres a pic of my dog feeder sure wish the deer would come to it. 55 gal drum with pvc toilet flange on the bottom with 45 elbow and pipe. 2x4 treated legs hold 3-400 lbs corn.

05-Feb-07
by the way if you know whos dogs these are call my dad he sure would like to know.

05-Feb-07

Archerontario's embedded Photo
here is a simple way for a feeder a 10 inch sewer pipe and all i did was fab up a bottom this feeder holds 100 lbs of corn works great notice the 8 point in the top of the pic

05-Feb-07

bears use it to

05-Feb-07

so do those dam fishers

05-Feb-07

and coons

05-Feb-07

05-Feb-07

Boomerdog in OK's embedded Photo
Boomerdog in OK's embedded Photo

06-Feb-07
hey archerontario, nice feeder, if you don't mind sharing the info i would love to know what amount of space between the bottom of the pipe and the feed pan do you leave to make the feeder work correctly?

06-Feb-07

i used a 10 inch sewer pipe and fabbed up an aluminum tray i also drilled holes in the tray to allow the rain to drain out. i then cut an 8 inch wide by 4 inch heigh to allow for the corn to gravity feed these are the best feeders i have seen. the bears dont destroy them at all i fed probably 8 bears from july to early oct and they never hurt them one bit. here is 2 of those bears here

06-Feb-07

we also bear hunted over these feeders too. it is funny everybody thought when i started feeding the bears that the deer would vacate the area i seen alot of deer bear hunting as well i also had deer come to the feeder when a bear was still hanging around the stand

06-Feb-07
How long does it take for the animals to empty those feeders?

07-Feb-07

Coolcop's embedded Photo
Coolcop's embedded Photo
I made this feeder a few years ago, after I got tired of the squirrels tearing up my old feeders. This feeder incorporates the squirrels help in discharging the corn/sunflower seeds. The feeder itself is a 55 gal drum that I have hung from a pulley that is connected to a chain that fastened between 2 trees. The corn dispenser has no moving parts, or batteries to replace. It is made completely out of steel so the squirrels, try as they will cannot damage it. The corn simply falls off the tray when squirrels and birds paw through it looking for the sunflower seeds mixed in. If you want to feed more corn put more sunflower in the mix. Less corn put less sunflower seeds in the mix. I’ve had this feeder up and running for about 2 years. Hawks and Owls love it because they always have food to. I built one for my mom this year and she has strictly birdseed in her’s in her back yard.

07-Feb-07

Coolcop's embedded Photo
Coolcop's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear