Moose 24-Feb-07
caribou 24-Feb-07
SERBIANSHARK 25-Feb-07
Bowbux 25-Feb-07
Jeff in MN 27-Feb-07
Bowhunt302 27-Feb-07
Matt 27-Feb-07
19-Feb-07
What would be the difference in grouping size between these two types of arrows. I am presently shooting goldtip .006, I was going to buy some .001 and the owner of the proshop told me that there would'nt be any difference in grouping size. I always taught that the more money you spend on arrows the better they would be. Can you suggest any kind of arrows for my set up: Arrows size is 5575. Matthews switchback 65 lbs, draw 30", arrow length 29" shooting release. broadhead 100 grains.

19-Feb-07
"the owner of the proshop told me that there would'nt be any difference in grouping size."

lol...you need to find a better proshop. he outright lied to you.

let me not get into to many specifics here, but do you think that professional level target archers use.006? and if they don't ...why do think they don't.

they don't..001. how far off as a variable.

19-Feb-07
I think what the guy meant was, YOU probably wouldn't see a difference in group size. Maybe only 10% of archers at best could notice the difference.

A guy who shoots a 56x 299 average in league, might drop to a 45x 298 average by dropping from .001 arrows to .006 arrows.

What's far more important is spine consistancy.IMO. I shoot as well or better with .006 Carbon Tech whitetails as I do with .001 Gold Tip Pros.

19-Feb-07
I see no big difference and I've shot the high dollar end ones and the low end ones. I'm no pro shooter by any means and for hunting there would be no great noticable difference if you ask me. I believe your pro shop guy did not lie to you, he was probably trying to save you some money for what you were trying to accomplish. Sounds like he could have made an easy sale, stick with him. I agree with x-man

20-Feb-07
If your one of the elite target archers in the world it is probably aplicable as x-man & rupescot have said.I dont believe the average to above average flinger is going to see a noticable difference.(JMO)

20-Feb-07
My opinion is to "control all you can control" to put yourself in the best position to make your shot. The best bow, best broadhead, best fletching, etc, etc, ... and most of all; the best arrows will minimize the chances of equipment messing up your shot.

Personally ... I "ALWAYS" want my equipment to be better than I can ever be. This accomplishes a few things #1. I "know" my practice is making me a better archer because I never have to consider "equipment" when I solve a problem ... it's always about form. #2. When I get into the woods, I never doubt my rig. NOTHING about equipment creeps into my mind. #3. Just in case I accidentally "put it all together" on one shot ... the equipment won't mess up my "perfect shot." LOL

20-Feb-07
Moose; what's the SMALLEST 5 shot grouping you can shoot consistently at 20 yards? If it's the size of a half dollar or less, go for it and buy the "better arrows". If it's larger; buy the less expensive arrows.

You are basically correct in that the arrow gets better as the price increases. BUT, the shooter DOES NOT get better as the price increases.

p.s. a target shooter wouldn't shoot gold tips to begin with :)

20-Feb-07
"lol...you need to find a better proshop. he outright lied to you."

Your pro shop did not lie to you. He is being the pro that you want him to be by not trying to sell you something you don't need. Thread after thread, SERB knows all and puts down everyone else and thier opinions.

20-Feb-07
As far as hunting I would not waste my money why not go to a .003 arrow , first I bet not many people know what .001 is so I will give a ref,the hair on your head is about .004 to .005 so if you split that hair 5 times that is .oo1 and if you split that 10 times that is .0001 I am a tool and die maker so I know .STEVE

20-Feb-07
For the average shooter .006 is fine , now if you're moving past 40 yards go with with .001 and ur group will be a little better. Now here is how to cheat, most arrows come at 32" and u lose all the straightness at the ends, so cut off an equal amount ant both ends to achieve your lenght of the arrow and that will make your .006 be more like .003 to .001 depending on your lenght.

20-Feb-07
...lordy...the pro shop was an honest person giving you real world info....as stated, unless you are a pro who shoots competition regularly, use the extra money you save over the years to go on a hunt!! Golf junkies have been duped into every golf ball, putter, driver "must have" advertising when the average player has a hard time hitting a 75ft. wide green 7 out of 10 times from 120 yds !!! Do you really think that in the heat of the moment in a hunting situation that the animal you shoot is going to notice a 1/2" difference in impact point?? However, if you have the cash and nothing better to do with it..get the best..like buying a Cadillac over a Chevrolet...they'll both get you from point A to B in comfort....but the caddy looks better and costs more.

20-Feb-07
go to your pro shop and have him spin test a bunch of those shafts with broadheads on them.....you coudnt give me or anyone I hunt with 006 shafts.....003 for that matter. And IMHO, if you cant tell the difference in your own shooting 006s, and 001s'....you may as well stay with the oo6's. Be the best you can be...(practice, practice, practice,), and shoot the best equipment you can afford. R

20-Feb-07
Do you want to trust your arrows? Or always wonder "did my arrow cause me to be a few inchs off?" I am not a great archer by any measure, but I can tell the difference. For me, the noticable difference in group size came when I went from .006 arrows to .003

20-Feb-07
Sighh HuntingHabit,

"Your pro shop did not lie to you. He is being the pro that you want him to be by not trying to sell you something you don't need. Thread after thread, SERB knows all and puts down everyone else and thier opinions."

Wow...He's being teh pro that you want him to be? I expect the truth, and thats far from it. I used to shoot the .006 GT's...flew like crap with broadheads even though my bow was tuned properly. Switched to .003, and my groups got better and better. Interesting as it may be, i could always pick out an arrow or two out of the .006 batch that flew a lot worse than the rest... Coincidence, hardly!

Now, if you want to shoot a mechanical head, then the .006 and .003 work just fine either way...lets face it, we're removing the variables given by using fixed blades.

In either case, i see your point...he may not need .001, but lets call a spade a spade...

20-Feb-07
Colorado-Bowhunter -

So what is the current group size Moose is shooting? Let's say it's 3" at 20 yards. So, as a professional, you are going to recommend to one of your customer that he spend $100 on a dozen new arrows, and he can expect to see a 2" group instead? You won't have customers for very long. Again, as stated above, the average shooter will not see this difference. There are a ton of other variables that effect his group size that I would be looking at before suggesting that he buy new arrows. But, you must know Moose, his abilities, how his equipment is tuned, and every little of piece of information that his pro probably knows about him... I trust the local pro over some guys on a forum telling me to throw money at the issue... I also never said that .001 arrows are not better quality than .006 arrows, I said his pro shop is not trying to sell him something he doesn't need.

"Interesting as it may be, i could always pick out an arrow or two out of the .006 batch that flew a lot worse than the rest... Coincidence, hardly!"

You can do this with any make of arrow, even the best. I will refer to the above comments that spine is more of an issue than straightness. You haven't played with enough arrows if you haven't seen this. With this said, many guys think GT have terrible spine. I happen to shoot GT Pro's and Hunters and even if the spine isn't the best, it's better than I can shoot. They both shoot in the same group for me, but I'm probably not as good of a shot as you. 5" groups at 40 yards with broadheads is good enough for me.

"Now, if you want to shoot a mechanical head, then the .006 and .003 work just fine either way...lets face it, we're removing the variables given by using fixed blades."

Oh, I see. So field tips, mechanicals, and fixed blades fly differently with the same arrow? And your bow is tuned. Uh-huh. This statement proves that to not be true. Or are you saying I need straighter arrows to shoot equal fixed blade groups? If you can't group field points and broadheads, you need to start at step one in Easton's tuning guide before telling someone else to buy better arrows to improve thier shooting.

20-Feb-07
...I guess I could say that I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy whatever arrows I want...and am also fortunate enough to have taken quite a number of animals on several continents, many falling within sight, and often on video...and the GT Hunter shaft has worked just fine, thank you. I also have no qualms about throwing my $55 a dozen shafts at armadillos, rabbits, long shot coyotes, grouse etc. because every shot is not a $20 shot...$15, maybe (good BH's), but not $20 :-)....do what feels right for you and gives you the results you want....

20-Feb-07
Take all the variables out & shoot a round with .01-.03-.06-out of a hooter shooter.I wanna see the results! That should clarify this topic up a bunch!

20-Feb-07
first of all for all you shark hunters...serb (me) didn't put anyone down. i stated simple fact. straighter arrows fly straight all thing equal.

second. go to national tournment and see what their shooting....it's not .006 gold-tips. in fact you'll never even see .001 gt pro hunters.

what you will find is a whole slew of x10 series, and x7 series easton arrows....and by the way the straightness factors on any of the series i spoke of is between .001-.0015.

thats not a know it all comment. those are facts.

now, as was mentioned earlier...spine difference between arrow is an issue big time. gt's have terrible variances in their spines 70-100 when i used to shoot them. that does effect great shooting to be sure. more than .006-.001 some will attest to. there are certainly better spine matched arrows on the market than gt's. carbon tech for one. there's others.

you guys also, have veered into the waters of how much it could really vary. to a great shooter. alot. to a guy who puts up a paper plate on a wall a@ 20 yards hits it 6 times straight and is ready to hunt...not at all. so how do you know how great a shooter the man who asked the question is? i assume he wants facts based on the assumption he a great shot...not a 9" paper plate shot, a (x) shooter.

so back to the original question....who did i bad mouth...the guy who lied that there is NO difference...or did i insult some people here who don't have the shooting ability TOO see a difference.

i gave the man the benifit of the dought he can shoot lights out. most of you gave him the IT'S GOOD ENOUGH, BECAUSE THOSE ARROWS ARE BETTER THAN YOU CAN SHOOT ANYWAY BENIFIT.

am i wrong?

by the way huting habit $100 arrows being used by top level shooters? where? $200-$250 sounds more like it.

for those of you who agreed with what i said, and say. thank you...your not siding with me, but in fact, being objective. for those who feel strenght bashing the shark after reading this thread...shame on you.

20-Feb-07
Cut it out Serb; I want huntinhabit to give up his source of those $100 tournament arrows!!

His posted 5" groups at 40 tells me he wouldn't last long on the tournament line....maybe the first end, maybe not. I'm guessing somebody peed in his cheerios this morning! Nothing like slamming a guy for stating the truth. The pro shop owner lied.....or the story was relayed to us incorrectly!!

Bottom line; A plain and simple fact: There WILL BE A DIFFERENCE IN GROUP SIZE! Whether Huntinhabit shoots GT pro or hunter or Easton XX75: They just ain't the same as x10 or any other arrow built to exacting tolerances, and that .006 DOES make a difference, no matter the brand. Just because a shooter may not see it, doesn't mean it isn't there!

dennisomfs: "Do you really think that in the heat of the moment in a hunting situation that the animal you shoot is going to notice a 1/2" difference in impact point??

YES!!!!! 1/2" could make a VERY BIG DIFFERENCE!!

20-Feb-07
You guys have way to much time on your hands lol. Will the average guy notice the difference prolly not. Is the difference there yes, you can’t ague that. The point is ill put my extra 20 bucks in some G5s. The go to the range with the dozen arrows shoot them at a long yardage ( I shoot at 80) number the arrows shoot a few rounds the ones that are always in the center go in my quiver best of both worlds.

20-Feb-07
Hehe, fun stuff.

I accept your coments...my bow is perfectly tunned, so when field tip and mechanicals are you shooting 1-2 inch groups at 40...i have a good base to go from when comparing that to my broadhead. Now, when shooting a .003, my broadhead group are around 3 to 4 inches at 40...6+ with my left over .006s. Only variable that changed was the straightness of the arrow...hence, straigter arrows fly better, which equals better groups.

But, like i said before, i hear what your saying...my only concern lies with a person who bought a dozen .006s and cant get his bh to fly bc of the arrow straightness...the old saying hold true, you get what you pay for...hehe, at least so we hope.

20-Feb-07
wow, another pissing match! go figure.

Moose,

The difference in group size will depend on your shooting abilities and consistencies in your shooting. Your experience may differ from mine, or others who've commented here. Myself, I pretty much stick with .003 sticks, but have shot some .006 arrows. Myself, I did notice a difference between the two, but it seemed to only manifest itself when I was shooting broadheads. BH's definitely held tighter groups at 20-60 yards when I shot .003 arrows. I think the BH groups when using .006 shafts most likely suffered more from bad form on my part than from the difference in the shaft straightness. What I mean by this is that ANY arrow tipped with a BH is more susceptible to flight problems from form issues than a FP tipped arrow. The slightest form problem is magnified by the BH, therefore, the slight difference in straightness will be magnified when shooting BH's.

sorry for the long post, but I will just say that I will not hunt with any arrow not .003 or better. That is my confidence level.

20-Feb-07
The straighter the arrow the better the flight. The better the flight the better the shot. No matter the skill level, you are giving yourself an edge when your arrows are straight. If it did not matter we would all be shooting bent up aluminum arrows that we have had since the 1980s.

20-Feb-07
The difference in grouping? From none to a lot. I can see a little bit of difference in the .0015 to .005, but it is around 1/2 - 3/4" in average group size at 40 yards. Some folks couldn't find a statistical difference in group size between .001 and .01 shafts. The worst shooting shafts I ever had were .001 - the straightest I ever shot. Go figure.

20-Feb-07
$100 "tournament", or "top level shooters" arrows? Who the hell said anything of the sort? Last I checked GT Pro's were .001, and XX78's are .0015. I'm sorry, I keep forgetting that if it doesn't cost a fortune it isn't worth a crap. Better yet, now we're telling the guy to go spend $250 on arrows. LOL!! Where did you guys pull all this from?

Serb, I'm sorry, you didn't deserve the comment. I rarely fight with anyone here because I've learned it's a no win situation. Right or wrong. You've just posted some things lately that come off as being a real know it all with money to burn, and I pounded back. I'm sure you're a good guy, and don't mean your posts the way I read them. I apologize.

Telling a guy his shop 'LIED' to him is a bit harsh though. Usually a lie by a shop pro would imply they are trying to get him to buy something, where in this case they are telling him to save his money. More than likely the shop is trying to help him...

"His posted 5" groups at 40 tells me he wouldn't last long on the tournament line"

LOL. I have no desire to shoot tourneys anymore. I got out a LONG time ago. Yeah, I had three of the same newest bow, scopes with 4 power lenses, 4' stabilizers, spent 3 hours a night 6 days a week at the range, busting ACC's every weekend, etc... I used to be a good shot, but I got over that addiction and now enjoy my life. I'm also not ashamed of my shooting and will never exagerate my abilities. I shoot to hunt, and couldn't care less about a 'score' anymore. Oh, and I work for living, someone pees in my Cheerios every morning. 8*)

Bottom line - Yes, there is a difference for top shooters. Depending on your abilities and other factors, it may or may not make a difference. I get the feeling that Moose is the average guy like me, and money isn't growing on his lawn. When you're ready for new arrows, consider upgrading, but don't feel inferior because you don't.

20-Feb-07
Be aware that just because the company advertises a certain straightness, the arrows that you shoot may not have been made as advertised.

Also, other variables such as weight and/or spine tolerances may be accounting for the group size more than the straightness.

In other words, an arrow that is straighter may also have less spine variation, or maybe the straighter arrows had more spine variation. Unless you are actually measuring (controlling) ALL the variables, you’re really just guessing as what to attribute to which variable.

20-Feb-07
Thanks for the info guys. Can you recommend an arrow for my setup. By the way I can shoot 3" group at 40 yards.

20-Feb-07
Moose, look at the Beman Black Max-sz.340-10.4gpi-.003 straight-around $80. @ doz. Great arrows in the mid range!3" @40-----probably shrink it to -----2".Heck, my pin covers 2" at 40.

20-Feb-07
I would give a hard look at Carbon Tech whitetails. They sell a .400 deflection (equivalent to a 5575), but if I wer you I might look at the 6580.

21-Feb-07
For those .001 tolerance arrows, how many shots into a target do you think it takes to loose that .001??

My guess: 1

At the shot and at the impact they bend, after that that almost perfect tolerance probably isn't so perfect anymore.

21-Feb-07
not true and each carbon maker will tell you so. carbon doesn't loose tolerance. especially good carbons.

a gentlemen made the clearest and most accurate statement possible. shoot through a hooter shooter and the results would be clear as day. put a broadhead the the machine and the difference is huge between .006, and .001 arrows.

dpoes anyone even check their spines on their arrows? i have a feeling most here do not.

do you even know how? this question is for the forum.

21-Feb-07
WELL, the guys who know a lot more than me; again confirm my philosophy of buying the best you can afford when you don't know enough. The quality may be helping you in ways you don't even realize.

I've never heard anybody squawking about having "TOO" good of a bow, or squawking about his Swarovski binoculars are better than he can use, or his arrow are TOO good for him. Ever hear a Zeiss owner saying he wished he had a pair of Tascos? A SilverFlames owner complaining? Yet ... you read plenty of threads where somebody is complaining about a lesser quality product or lesser quality piece of equipment which has fail him. "NOW" ... he's researching for what he; in my opinion; should have bought right from the start ... higher quality and the accompanying better performance.

Buying quality has many rewards; from the obvious, to the unexpected and ... right down to, and including the seldom mentioned "pride of ownership." I know it's not "politically correct" to say it out loud; but you actually have a "right" to be proud of your Vectrex, Guardian, Drenalin, etc, etc. Personally, for example; when somebody mentions bows; my mind goes to my Allegiance; or mentions arrows, I think of my Carbon Techs and then I feel a sort of self satisfaction and self confidence in/or with them. Somebody mentions “sights” and my mind goes to my Trophy Ridge Matrix ... and something I “don’t” feel so good about. LOL

Buy the best quality you can afford ... even if you don’t know all the reasons why.

21-Feb-07
I agree. Buy the best you can afford.

Scott

21-Feb-07
99.9% of the time, it's the best thing to do. or at least buy in the upper end of the given item.

21-Feb-07
PS..a target shooter wouldnt shoot GOLDTIPS??!! What the heck kinda crazy comment is that????!! As a matter of fact GOLDTIP has some of the BEST indoor arrows by the Name of 30x cutters. Tim Gillingham of Goldtip is one of the nations best shooters...Most of the guys I shoot indoor 300 and Vegas leagues with shoot the Goldtip X-Cutters and these guys are burning the x-ring out!!. YES... Its does make a difference in the straightness...I wouldnt settle for anything less than .003 in any brand and if your above the "normal" shooter go with the .001....Jeff

21-Feb-07
jeff, as for what i meant, was nobody shoots gt prohunters that are also .001. not the brand. the model.

gt prohunters which i have used in the past had real bad differences in spine. 70-100 on the scale. thats all, not the target series. i still don't know why they don't do a select series in the prohunters. cull them to more exact tolerances. they have a great arrow other then that.

for hunting i shoot 3-71 a/c/c, for target i like the easton x10 series.

21-Feb-07
Anyone who shoots any brand carbon should cut off at least 1 - 1 1/2 inch of of both ends before the final cut. I have used the "Pro' series with great results for 3D, not indoors. I will use any of the X-cutters or 22 series for indoors. I'm still using some of my BlackHawk Speed 23's for indoors and out...I just wouldnt go under .003....Jeff

21-Feb-07
I shot in a wa. tournement attended by Jay st.Charles and his dad Glenn. It was when Animal targets first got started. This was pre carbon days as only unlimited pros shot carbons. My brother and I shot in a 4 group with Jay. We were using 2219 heavy alums and brother cliff at halftime ask glenn (because we heard he was good at hand straightening)if he would check these arrows, He handed glen 3 bent game getters and as we watched he talked and twinked (bent) these arrows better than any pro straightener on market.

Carbons are either straight or broke. If you are a great violin player you would use a Strativarious but could still make a Sears sound decent. Tourniments (out to 80 , hunting out to 40) Milt

21-Feb-07
If you're talking about Goldtips, the pro shop owner was right. The only diffence between the 006 and 001 as far as GT is conserned is the price. Their quality control is horrible. I've done the tests and you're not getting what you pay for.

Now then, you want to improve your group size? Look into Bemans or Eastons. You'll get what you pay for, and if you're doing your end right, those groups will shrink.

21-Feb-07
here you go .....

http://www.archers-friend.com/archers-friend-spine-testers.html

21-Feb-07

SERBIANSHARK's embedded Photo
spine tester

21-Feb-07
SS,

Do you really shoot X-10's for target shooting? What kind of recurve do you have? Surely you don't use them for indoor spot shooting with a compound bow?

Lets see a picture of your arrows, (not an ad photo)

21-Feb-07
Yep...better buy the ones that are flat ass guaranteed to be straight within 0.001 inches. Cause everyone knows you can't shoot a perfect score or kill a deer with anything less than that.

Arrows straight to within 0.001. I lump those right into the same bucket as Scentloc, fancy detailed camo patterns and anything else that can be categorized as "marketing Hype" or "Yet another way to seperate a fool and his money".

Some folks haven't yet figured out that manufacturers HIRE folks who sit in their offices all day and do nothing except think of ways to get you to part with your money.

Arrows straight to within 0.001. BWWWAAAAHHHHH!!!!

21-Feb-07
With Gold Tips, Bemans, and most Carbon Express arrows, I cut off both ends before fletching. With some arrows, it's not neccessary. Carbon Tech, Arrow Dynamics, CX Maximas, Axis are already cut as such at the factory before packing and shipping.

Not all brands are created equal, I'll put a factory packed dozen CT whitetails at .006 up against a dozen factory packed GT pro hunters at .001 out of a Hooter Shooter; and I'll come home with padded pockets. ;)

21-Feb-07
Serb I believe if you checked one of the top shooters in the world right now (Tim Gillingham) shoots Gold Tip. So I recun you might see some pros shooting them at the big shoots.

21-Feb-07
Some how I just knew I had a twin.Dont go gettin us in a fight with Serb!

21-Feb-07
i'll repost for you who can't scroll up.

jeff, as for what i meant, was nobody shoots gt prohunters that are also .001. not the brand. the model.

gt prohunters which i have used in the past had real bad differences in spine. 70-100 on the scale. thats all, not the target series. i still don't know why they don't do a select series in the prohunters. cull them to more exact tolerances. they have a great arrow other then that.

for hunting i shoot 3-71 a/c/c, for target i like the easton x10 series.

21-Feb-07
x-man...you've got to be blind or just can't read at all. where did i say i shot x10's?

what the heck did i write now that your trying to read it right.

x10's, or x10 series, which one is it rainman?

you say you tested all these bows at your shop. which shop. the name and city please. you say you sell elite , bowtech, hoyt, and mathews. what shop?

21-Feb-07
otto...you say:

"Arrows straight to within 0.001. I lump those right into the same bucket as Scentloc, fancy detailed camo patterns and anything else that can be categorized as "marketing Hype" or "Yet another way to seperate a fool and his money".

"Some folks haven't yet figured out that manufacturers HIRE folks who sit in their offices all day and do nothing except think of ways to get you to part with your money. "

to this i say, do you have some trophy photos, link them to your name please. i'm sure we would all love to know that you and your non-tech hunting skills, have actually killed something other than your keyboard keys.

sounds like you just don't like to spend money, and blame those that can.

post away howard hill. you probably use a self made bow too, lets see it in the photo's.

21-Feb-07
IMO...consistant spine plays a bigger facter then striaghtness for grouping. Unless one can shoot 1" groups at 40yds I doubt one would notice any real difference.

22-Feb-07
I used to have a nice Starrett dial indicator like SERBIANSHARKS, complete with padded steel carrying case ... until my son borrowed it to work on his fancy car. Told me "he needs it more than me;" with a big smile and a laugh. Fact is, I hadn't used it in 20 years; so he was right. "KIDS; you gotta lovem!" LOL

22-Feb-07
Good humor, that's a file photo of the spine tester. I doubt it is ownwd by anyone on this web site.

SS, go back and re-read your posts. "I shoot acc's for hunting and x10's for targets."

22-Feb-07
there's more then 1 type of arrow in the x10 series. and no, i don't shoot the x10s.

maybe if someone were to read things more clearly, and then research the easton arrows that are on the market, they could save themselves looking like a wanna-be.

22-Feb-07
chris, that spline tester can be bought for a little over $100.

22-Feb-07
I was gonna respond to Otto with a dose of common sense and a little something about getting what you pay for but the Serbian Shark just sank his teeth into him and there ain't nothin left.

22-Feb-07
i found the info.

http://www.archers-friend.com/to-build-an-arrow-spine-tester.html

22-Feb-07
x-man. or rob messner...............you say you tested all these bows at your shop. which shop. the name and city please. you say you sell elite , bowtech, hoyt, and mathews. what shop?

22-Feb-07
I don't sell Hoyt or Mathews, never said I did. I have plenty of custmers with them, but they didn't get 'em here. I sell Parker, Elite, Fread Bear, PSE, Browning, Reflex.

Page Lake Archery

25991 co rd 1

Hancock, MN 56244

Mon. - Fri. 4pm-8pm, weekends by appointmesnt (320) 392 5611

22-Feb-07
I'm not sure how you do it, I'm trying but I just can't type with my foot in my mouth. ;)

22-Feb-07
ROTFLMAO

I just hope to hell the guy at least got his question answered.

22-Feb-07
Maybe the shark is planning on going to x-man's shop for some advice. 8*)

22-Feb-07
why foot in the mouth. you said tested all these bows in your shop. i asked you what's your shops name. simple question.

as for the mathews bashes you post so often. you don't even sell them. it's what i figured if you were indeed a proshop.

but i already knew your not a dealer.

22-Feb-07
OK I'll humor you one more time. Please copy and paste ANY Mathews bashing post of mine.

Besides, I thought this thread was about arrows, not Mathews.???

DOH!!! don't ya just hate it when you forget what thread you're on.

22-Feb-07
TAG, you're it.

22-Feb-07
Putting your foot in your mouth is a term used to describe when someone has said something foolish. An example of this might be indicating people have said something that they didn't. Or doing the former in an effort to use your words against them. Or doing both and then trying to play it off like you didn't.

22-Feb-07
That's why I leave the elequent writing to you Matt ;)

22-Feb-07
yeah, what he said..........

jeez this is getting comical.

23-Feb-07
I'm getting confused ... alas ... again.

23-Feb-07
agree, this thread is not about bows, back to arrows, straighter arrows fly straighter. done. with all spines being equal.

23-Feb-07
If I had to choose between a .005 with a better spine vs .001 with bad spine.....I'd take the .005

23-Feb-07
good point my friend. thats why i buy all my arrows out of my proshop. i hand select now from a 10 dozen pile of arrows by bringing my spine tester with me to the shop. and i shoot .001 a/c/c's 3-71's. you can't do that buying arrows on-line.

dot the i's, and cross the t's.

23-Feb-07
So who is it that goes to the trouble of marketing a 001 shaft with poor spine consistency? 006 or 001 was the question....and frankly I cant believe any one can find anything to argue about. Why spend the money on a top of the line bow, only to shoot mediocre or lowsy shafts? It all goes back to whatever whoever has is the best......throw common sense and logic clean out the window.

23-Feb-07
The point being made is regardless of striaghtness, spine consistancy is not all the same. And yes same makers have put out 003-001 arrows that had lousy spine.

23-Feb-07
the worst spine consistency for a high end arrow i have used is gt. prohunter.

23-Feb-07
Serb in your opinion what arrow has the worst spine consistency>>>>?

(just want to hear it for a THIRD time so i dont forget)

23-Feb-07
i said out of the high end arrows that I'VE shot the gold tip prohunters were the worst for being consistent.

23-Feb-07
"high end arrow i have used is gt. prohunter."

High end arrow? They don't meet your standard for quality or price, how can they be 'high end'?

23-Feb-07
huntinhabit , if your just yacking to hear yourself, i'm not going to waste time with you.

ok here you go.

high end

a/c/c, obsession, full metal jckets, gt prohunter, maxima hunter, and more of them.

low end

terminator, sst, gt expedition do i need to keep going.

high end means dollar amount. not quality. i don't shoot the low ends, because of straightness, and then i cull from the barrel to get the spines the same. but thats my way.

23-Feb-07
BWAAAHHAAAHHAAHHAAA!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!

"if your just yacking to hear yourself"

Have you read your own posts all over this forum? LOL!!!!!! That is definitely my favorite SERB quote to date.

So when I say "$100 arrows" that is translated into "$100 arrows being used by top level shooters? where? $200-$250 sounds more like it."

But when you say "high end arrows" and "high end means dollar amount" it means GoldTip Pro Hunters.

Gotcha. I'm with ya Serb, LOL! And yes, I understand you're going to tell me next that $250 arrows are "pro level", which I somehow implied. This is just too funny.

23-Feb-07
....lots of info since I last checked this thread ! Somehow (and I guess I was terribly wrong) I got the impression that the original post had to do with hunting situations and not target shooting. Since my target shooting over the years has been limited to occassional 3-D (won the last one I did 4 years ago), and since then been busy hunting whenever I can (18 for 18 animals on one Africa trip, many dropping in sight of the hide), I guess I feel qualified to address "is 1/2" tolerance OK for hunting?"...as far as cutting each corner of the X, I'll leave that and the question of what arrow to use to the target shooting experts out there. Anybody that thinks in the heat of the moment in a hunting situation that that arrow is going to be "target" accurate is a hold lot calmer of a cucumber than I am... :-) So guess I'll bum around with my old,cheap GT's, keep filling the freezer, and enjoy the little extra jingle in my pocket....

23-Feb-07
but you still manage to drop in, pat yerself on the back , and brag any way, dont ya.....get out from in front of the mirror and think about other peoples actual question., R

23-Feb-07
ditto Blacktails post

23-Feb-07
Wow...A guy goes out of town on business for a couple a days. I'da thought you guys would'a settled this buy now.

Serb... "to this i say, do you have some trophy photos, link them to your name please. i'm sure we would all love to know that you and your non-tech hunting skills, have actually killed something other than your keyboard keys.

sounds like you just don't like to spend money, and blame those that can.

You asked where my trophy photos are? Well, to be honest, it doesn't matter enough to me to post any here. My self image as a bowhunter does not hinge upon any need to post my hunt photo's here. Nor is the validity of my opinion on arrow shaft straightness related to the number of photo's not posted. What a bizzare little connection you tried to make there.

You did get one thing right. I try to hunt as non-tech as possible. The last deer I shot with a compound was about 12 yrs ago. It was an emotionless kill. I needed more of a challenge to my hunting. So now I enjoy the challenge of taking deer with a recurve, without sights, without scentloc. I'll admit to using camo so I probably should back off that. I'm not knocking compounds either. Hunt with what you want to use brother.

As far as spending money...well let's not go there. There's no need for each of us to post our W-2's now is there? In the digital world, anyone can claim to have money can't they.

Here's my take. Folks tend to want to argue the "Buy the straightest" arrow argument by saying "Hell, that's what the PRO's use". Pull up a chair son...Here's a lesson in real world economics.

How much money do you think an average, no, no, make that a TOP PRO shooter makes in a year OFF HIS TOURNAMENT WINNINGS? The answer? He couldn't pay his airfare off his tournament winnings. If a Pro won every friggin tournament he entered, could he make $100K a year? $100K a year ain't dick if you're traveling every weekend, living in a hotel every weekend, feeding yourself in restaurants etc... Pro shooters make their money off what? All together now: Endorsement Money. And who decides to pay Pro Shooters endorsement money? That's right, the Tournament Sponsers. And why do companies even sponsor tournaments? If you answered "Cause that's one of the ways that they convince people to buy their products", then go to the head of the class. Pro shooters don't even GET to decide what they are going to shoot. The arrow shaft company writing the ENDORSEMENT check decides what arrow a Pro is going to shoot. And is the arrow shaft company going to ask Mr. Pro shooter if he wants to shoot the $49/doz, straight to within 0.006" shafts? If you guessed no...move to the head of the class. The arrow shaft company is going to tell Mr. Pro Shooter to shoot the $250/doz, straight to within 0.001" super duper "you can't miss with these" shafts. And since Mr. Pro Shooter NEEDS the endorsement check (NEEDS cause he aint makin enough off the winnings)he'll shoot what ever Mr. Arrow Shaft company check writer tells him to. Is Mr. Pro Shooter going to admit this? If you answered "No, cause he'd look like a sellout", then move to the head of the class. Mr. Pro Shooter will publicly proclaim "I shoot the "you can't miss with these shafts" because, well, uh, well, cause you can't miss with these shafts, that's why.

Now why does Mr. arrow shaft maker want Mr. Pro shooter to shoot the $250/doz. shaft? If you guessed "Cause Joe Bowhunter will see Mr. Pro shooter shooting "You can't miss with these shafts" and buy a boatload of them", then move to the head of the class. And why else does Mr. Arrow Shaft Maker want Joe Bowhunter to buy $250/doz "You can't miss with these shafts". If you answered "Cause there's a trainload of profit in selling $250/doz "You can't miss with these shafts", then go to the head of the class. Is there a trainload of profit selling $49/doz shafts? No, there's some, but not a trainload.

Guys....as much as you want to believe that businesses are altruistic and here only to sell you what's in your best interest to buy...well, it ain't happening. Not in your wildest dreams. Businesses (yes, archery companies are businesses) are in business to make money. As much as they can. Why? Cause they are under pressure from the Board of Directors and the stockholders to do so. The job of the marketing group is to figure out ways to get you to part with your hard earned money. Make money and everyone is happy. And if they can convince you to put more profit in the till, then guess what. They will.

Now if you got the coin to spend on $250/doz. arrows, go for it. Spend your money however it makes you happy.

But apply a little critical thinking. Just be aware of why $250/doz arrows cost $250/doz. It ain't cause their 0.005" straighter.

23-Feb-07
I just want to know the name of his archery shop so I can call the owner and congradulate(sp?) him on landing a customer like Serb. I bet they drool every time he drives up, and laugh every time he leaves.

I have one of those guys too. And my guy has "bought" his way onto several hunting TV shows. Too funny, to hear him brag about his high dollar toys and how good they make him.

23-Feb-07
otto, how old are you. what do you do for a living?

i'll tell you what i do, i own company's. i develope land, and build custom homes. i employ 50 or so people, and have a roofing division thats one of the top 20 in the state. oh yea, and i hunt for a hobby. thats it.

danz custom homes llc., visionary developers llc, and a few other things. i'm 41 years old, played professional hockey for 3 years in europe. and been married to the same great gal for 17 years. i own a little more than 3000 hunting acres of extremely managed whitetail country, and some houses around the country.

so don't go there. others here have seen what i'm about. yea, there's bs'ers here....but your not talking to one of them.

i don't need to hide behind a computer screen. danz custom homes.com has a website and your welcomed to see.

23-Feb-07
How many times are you going to tell us how great your are?

23-Feb-07
x-man....the archery shop i use happens to be owned by aa good friend of mine before he was even in the business. yes, i do spend money with him instead of saving maybe a couple bucks here and there going to a super store.

but it makes me feel good that he now has one of the largest shops in central wisconsin, one of the biggest leagues in central wisconsin, and i was able to help him by being a loyal customer.

you could laugh behind the backs of all the customers you want to. whatever. but mine are true friends and constant companions. we hunt the west at times together.

enough said.

23-Feb-07
Serb

"otto, how old are you. what do you do for a living?

Really Serb, I don't understand your fascination with me or what I do or how much money I make or how good a shot I am. Really, it's not pertinate to a discussion on arrow straightness.

I'm glad you've done well for yourself. You should feel fortunate that God has chosen to bless you as he has.

23-Feb-07
others want to challenge....i'm not exactly apt to run.

i'm not some young man with dreams being lived on the net.

23-Feb-07
So exactly how many times must we read the words "enough said" bofore this jerk leaves?

Hey Serb, NOBODY LIKES YOU!!!

I hardly EVER post on this site even though i read it every day. But I just can't stand it anymore. Sorry Pat, Take a star from me if you must, but this clown needs to be put in his place!!

I guess it's true, you can buy a diploma, but you can't buy knoweldge.

23-Feb-07
Hey serb you call those custom homes on your site. This is what Kind of custom homes I build. They are million dollar range.Alton Darling construction in chestertown Md.No we dont have a web site to go check us out. Sorry everyone I know this is not a home builders site be he started it.

23-Feb-07
"As far as spending money...well let's not go there. There's no need for each of us to post our W-2's now is there? In the digital world, anyone can claim to have money can't they. "

did i say this or you?

like i said. wrong guy.

i say we stay civil let by gone's , be by-gone's and move on.

23-Feb-07
shelly......again people puting in there two cents without reading the entire post.

i'm done here.

23-Feb-07

mdjunior's embedded Photo
mdjunior's embedded Photo
tada

23-Feb-07
I've read every post word for word pal.

"I'm done here" PLEASE GOD, LET THAT BE TRUE!!

23-Feb-07
Junior, where's the "cement pond"? I cant believe I keep coming back to this thread!

23-Feb-07
We doing that now. Three years after they moved in. Along with the cabana. Thats 11000sq ft living space.

23-Feb-07
These threads are adictive buglemaster

24-Feb-07
Looks like PHOTOSHOP to me. LOL

24-Feb-07
Sorta cute how the grass covers the porches!

24-Feb-07
Its not photo shop. Thats the back of the house. It has a walk out basement level.

24-Feb-07
My dad said if you guys start picin on me. Hes going to talk to your dad.

24-Feb-07
I thought this was going to be a 5 or 10 post was I wrong !!!!!!!!!!

24-Feb-07
Over what distance is TIR straightness measured? (according to ATA or ASTM standards)

24-Feb-07
Only 41 years old? I would have figured that anyone who has been everywhere and done everything the Serb has would have to be at least 75-80 years old.

24-Feb-07
Only 41 years old? I would have figured that anyone who has been everywhere and done everything the Serb has would have to be at least 75-80 years old.

24-Feb-07
2posts,

28" span

All shaft blanks come out of the machine, then are sorted by a series of measuring devices. They are sorted by straightness, weight, and spine. (not neccessarily in that order)

I have a DVD that shows the Carbon Express factory at work. And once you look around the fact that it's a CX marketing DVD, the rest of the info is pretty neat.

24-Feb-07
Hey Otto,

You sound like a golden pass ,Like me. If we have enough senority , lets you and me sign off.

Milt

24-Feb-07
109 replies to my question,that's incredible, to bad that they are not all about what I asked in the first place. Thanks to those that answer what I was looking for.

24-Feb-07
It's definitely time to tighten up the borders!

25-Feb-07

virginia slim.........serb...nobody likes you!!!!??

some do, and some don't as the post will show.

let's just agree , to disagree on that statement. huh

mdjunior, great work.

in central wisconsin, i do only specs. stopped working for customers a few years ago. now it's mostly buy land, sell land. and build a home on a few here and there.

the market here that i have to bring homes out to the market at around $120. per sq. foot of living space plus the land. it's alot different than when i had a divison in kenilworth il. here's a pic. of the average 240k home.

25-Feb-07
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

27-Feb-07
Well, that was certainly interesting jumping in on the end of this one. I guess my switch from Easton 2216's to CE maxima 350's at .0025 that are suposedly spine matched at the factory should work pretty good. Probably better than my shooting ability warrants but at $120 cut and fletched they are still not a terrible bite from the wallet. I'm looking forward to trying them out. I'm looking even more forward to sliping one thru an elk and maybe a few deer this fall.

Glad to hear that the Maxima does NOT need to be trimed from both ends because I doubt if the shop makeing them did that.

27-Feb-07
Moose,

I would reccomend Carbon Express Terminators int he 4560 spine. These have been my favortie hunting arrows in the past. I have bought selects and the regulars and I can't out shoot the difference.

As far as you guys who say there is a "significant" differnce between .006 arrows and .001, you probably haven't shot very much.

I can't say I'm a pro, but I can confidently say I'm better than average. Right now on Blue and white my average this winter is 300-53 x's. Thats alternating between my xx78 SS 2315 and Carbon Express Terminators 4560's. I also got 2nd place at the 2006 IBO world trophy championships (HC) with a 398 and 16x's, using Dick's sporting good specials, Blackhawk "monsterbuck hunters," (.006 straightness), and It was the only 3-D shoot I shot last year.

Many3-D pro's shoot easton Fatboy and Lightspeed both have a .005 straightness.

Seems as though it has more to do with the shooter then anything

Just my .002... JK

27-Feb-07
One thing I think folks lose sight of is the difference between shooting field points and broadheads. Field points are very forgiving and BH's can be quite a bit more finicky, so what folks are abel to do with field points may not necesarily translate to BH flight. It would be interesting to see if a Hooter Shooter can tell a difference in groupability of BH tipped arrows with varying degrees of straightness and spine consistency.

• Sitka Gear