Muley 07-Oct-11
HeadHunter® 07-Oct-11
Gerald Martin 08-Oct-11
woodguy65 08-Oct-11
woodguy65 08-Oct-11
woodguy65 08-Oct-11
FlatLndr 09-Oct-11
14-Jan-08
I am trying to get my first mountian lion hunt planned, and I am wanting to see some mounts, and some of the different things you guys did with your trophy, in case I get lucky when I get this thing going. Also what does it usually cost to get a lion mounted? I live in TN so I would have to get someone from somewhere else to mount it if I got lucky. Lets see those mounts and all the information you can give me. thanks coondog

14-Jan-08
Ther are probably 5 threads that you can find via search on the same subject. The pics may not be viewable anymore.

14-Jan-08
Here you go. http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=16&threadid=333302&MESSAGES=57&FF=16

14-Jan-08

Brock-ID's embedded Photo
Brock-ID's embedded Photo
Here is my first lion. I liked this pose the best. I have another lion skinned and tanned but still looking for another pose..

Gage Brock

15-Jan-08

Mathews Man's embedded Photo
Here is a picture of the form and base of my lion during the mounting process.

I have it wall mounted without the lower portion since I don't really have room to set it on the floor.

You can kind of get an idea of how much space it takes up in this picture.

It's good to have some options, maybe my next house will have a bigger game room :^)

15-Jan-08

Make sure that you have the skull done using beetles and mount it on a stand. It is quite a neat piece too.

I built my own stand and used a glass rod to prop the top of the skull opened.

15-Jan-08
[IMG]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u33/dirtybill521/cougar.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry not a great pic,but here is one way to have it. I personally like the one above hanging on the wall. I'll have to go back now. Darn..

15-Jan-08
Mine won't be done for another month or so but it will look similar to this one on my taxidermist web site.

http://www.dourlain.com/north_american_pgs/na_2.htm

15-Jan-08

Roadkill's embedded Photo
Here's mine, I have the pics on another thread, but love to post em anyways. I've been told "you only get what you pay for" so many times its amazing. It is true though, I had my bobcat done locally (by an inexpensive taxidermist), and it looks so bad I am ashamed to let people see it. The cougar was done in B.C. by a very reputable (and expensive) taxidermist. I get nothing but compliments on it. With shipping home I have $5245.00 Canadian dollars invested. Was it worth it...now that I'm out of the initial shock...YOU BET! My advice would be, don't have someone mount your trophy just because they are inexpensive, you only get one chance at it. Hope you shot a big one!

15-Jan-08

another..

15-Jan-08

and a third. Good luck.

15-Jan-08

Then I got my money's worth! A very generous bowsiter mounted my lion and only charged me the cost of materials. It was a blessing to run into him.

16-Jan-08
mathews man, ya just can't beat that price! :) Nice cat.

16-Jan-08
Yeah, I was quite thankful for the offer to mount him and at the time was between jobs.

It was a decent sized lion too, 176#'s dressed out.

17-Jan-08
Brock Thats a good looking mount. Like the pose & laid back look of the cat. Nice

04-Feb-08

cornfed's embedded Photo
cornfed's embedded Photo
Here is my 2006 cougar from Montana.

04-Feb-08

cornfed's embedded Photo
cornfed's embedded Photo
Here's a little better pic without so much flash. I actually picked out this pose after seeing a pic of Scotts lion.

05-Feb-08

elkaholic's embedded Photo
elkaholic's embedded Photo
this is the best one I have found

05-Feb-08
It's amazing how small things make the difference between GREAT and NICE. Roadkill your mount is GREAT. The others are nice. The difference I see is the necks on some of the others look like they are swollen by the rut or something.

05-Feb-08
Cats are probably the single hardest thing for a taxidermist to make look right. Make sure that you see a number of examples of your taxidermist's work on lions before you committ. There's a lot of bad ones out there.

05-Feb-08
Maybe bigger cats just have bigger necks.

All the mounts look good and give the hunter an idea of what he could do with his lion. As far as judging the actual quality of the mount and the anatomical correctness of it, much more is required than a single pic.

06-Feb-08

lumberman's embedded Photo
lumberman's embedded Photo
Here's a cat i took in Alberta in 2006. Mount was done by philip soucy in montana.

07-Feb-08

northbendhunter's embedded Photo
northbendhunter's embedded Photo
My Wyoming lion from 2006 by Jody Green.

07-Feb-08
Phil Soucy is the only one I trust my cats with.

07-Feb-08

oregonbowhunter's embedded Photo
oregonbowhunter's embedded Photo
Here is the one I shot in 2000 with a buck my dad shot the same year

08-Feb-08
that's cool

08-Feb-08
Elkaholic who did your cat?

09-Feb-08

Got Elk's embedded Photo
Got Elk's embedded Photo
Work in progress.

13-Feb-08

huntdoug's embedded Photo
huntdoug's embedded Photo
2006 cat taken with Leroy Neilson SW Utah

mounted by Mays Taxidermy Stevens Point Wis.

13-Feb-08
Is it just me or are Cougar the most common animal to be mounted poorly?

Got Elk, the face detail on that Lion mount is the best I've ever seen. Fantastic. Why do you think guys have such a hard time getting the eyes and facial expressions on a cat to look realistic?

13-Feb-08
"Is it just me or are Cougar the most common animal to be mounted poorly?"

I was just thinking the exact same thing. One 1 or 2 make me think (is that thing alive".

13-Feb-08
Yes, I agree, definatly very hard to get a good cat mount. There are some sad looking bobcat mounts on an older thread, that make me wonder if one should have to pay full price for a mount like that.

13-Feb-08
Yes, I agree, definatly very hard to get a good cat mount. There are some sad looking bobcat mounts on an older thread, that make me wonder if one should have to pay full price for a mount like that.

15-Feb-08
Thanks Busta. I can't wait to see the lion, I took this picture just before the finish work on the face and ears. The lion will be perched on a rock when complete, which it is now. Was anyone at the SCI show a few weeks ago? It was in the Artworks Taxidermist booth.

15-Feb-08

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Yes cats are very difficult to do. Got Elk I really like that mount. Different then most (ears not lying down), and face looks good.

21-Feb-08

Got Elk's embedded Photo
Got Elk's embedded Photo
Just got my lion back.

22-Feb-08
wow!! looks great!!!

22-Feb-08
gotelk, your lions face looks great, and your base is just as appealing.

22-Feb-08
Hey Huntdoug, I think that your cougar pedistal is the best lion mount I have ever seen, congrats.

22-Feb-08
Coondog, If your guide is doing the skinning ask him if he skins with a dorsal cut (down the back) Check with your taxidermist but I think you'll find he prefers it that way. Your guide will also only have to split the legs up to the ankle, cut the bone off and invert the leg. Take lots of close ups of the face for detail and get a list of measurements to take from your taxidermist. Don't forget to keep the meat. Excellent eating. Cougar, the other white meat. Good luck. I hope some day to hunt them myself. I'm afraid Canada has priced me out of their market. $6000-$8000 plus travel.Yikes!

22-Feb-08
Great looking mounts guys, but Brock-ID, I have to admit that is a favorate of mine.

22-Feb-08
Probably don't want to do a dorsal on cougars. Generally speaking, a dorsal cut is the best way to skin out most animals for lifesize, but for cougar I think the best is to do a ventral incision because of the length of the hair on the back. Although it is more stitching, the seam is much easier to hide in the belly hair. imo. I'll second keeping the meat. I think it is delicious and runs a very close 2nd to pork.

23-Feb-08

Got Elk's embedded Photo
Got Elk's embedded Photo

26-Nov-08

pahunter's embedded Photo
pahunter's embedded Photo

27-Nov-08
Busta, I think cats of all kinds seem to be the most difficult for a taxi to get right, especially in the eyes. In my meager opinion I believe that if a taxi can do a great cat he/she is a true artist. In this matter I don't think it is a case of "you get what you pay for (although a good cat guy is going to cost you for sure)" but a case of researching what you want to get. I've seen bobcats that cost obcene amounts of money and come out looking like Vincent DNofrio in Men In Black, and seen some done by a guy doing his own work just getting into the game that were amazing.

12-Dec-08
Phil Soucy is the best. He is recognized as a cat expert in the taxidermy field. He is expensive, but well worth it-IMO

18-Dec-08

ehiztari's embedded Photo
Kodiak Taxidermy, Meridian Idaho did mine. Was well worth the cost.

18-Dec-08

another angle

19-Dec-08

BoostedRob's embedded Photo
Here are the two cats that Phil Soucy has done for me. (I hope this works)

19-Dec-08

BoostedRob's Link

19-Dec-08

In case the link doesn't work...

19-Dec-08
Rob, that is one awesome mount. One of the very few of a cat snarling that I like. Not the others aren't good mounts, but yours just looks like he has a reason to be mad. Very nice.

19-Dec-08

Some better detail

19-Dec-08

19-Dec-08
What does Phil Soucy charge?

19-Dec-08
GotElk, where'd you get that one done?

19-Dec-08
Soucy's lion mounts start at $3,500. His work is more than worth the price and wait.

22-Dec-08
got elk great mount

30-Dec-08

bigguy's embedded Photo
bigguy's embedded Photo
Here is mine. The detail in the rocks is awesome and it seems like the cat is looking right at you, no matter where you are in the room. Unfortunately, I don't have a close up photo on my computer.

21-Jan-09

22-Jan-09
trying to find the lion in that photo is like playing a where's waldo game!

LOL

21-Aug-09

21-Aug-09

Archerdan's embedded Photo
Archerdan's embedded Photo
Here's mine taken in West Texas on a deer hunt. I rattled him in. Was quite the hunt!

22-Aug-09
i have seen a lot of lions over the last twenty years and Soucy is the best at making them look real.

23-Aug-09
GOT ELK That is one of the most realistic faces i have seen. Looks awsome. I have caught and seen tons of lions up close so i know what they should look like. I see so many guys post their pics and the face is terrible. Very nice mount.

23-Aug-09
Soucy does over 50 lions a year. He is the only one that all the top lion guides use.

23-Aug-09

Another one of Soucy's cats. The 2008-2009 Montana Super Tag lion.

23-Aug-09
www.joshstaxidermy.com.............out of washington state, check out home page of the website, cougar attacking trophy whitetail

18-Sep-09

skullman's embedded Photo
skullman's embedded Photo
My brothers mt.lion he shot with a bow in Idaho. Mounted himself

06-Sep-11
Finally got my Lion to Alaska.

07-Sep-11

GoneAgain's embedded Photo
GoneAgain's embedded Photo
See if the photo will attach this time.

07-Sep-11

elkmtngear's Link
These are so cool.....sad that I can never hunt them here, being in Northern California. Also sad, that they are munching down half our deer herd on a regular basis!

Congrats to everybody with these great trophies!

Best of Luck, Jeff

07-Oct-11

Yaak's embedded Photo
Yaak's embedded Photo
I kind of like this one.

07-Oct-11
Boosterrob, should of had the last cat you posted a pic of mounted with a double cheese burger in it's paw. That is trully a fat cat.

07-Oct-11

HeadHunter® 's embedded Photo
HeadHunter® 's embedded Photo
My Wifes (for sale)....Montana Bow Kill P&Y...Fun and Exciting Hunts for them Big Cats!......Good Luck!

08-Oct-11
I think looking at other people's lion mounts is kind of like when a guy asks you what you think of his wife. Nobody wants to be the one to tell him his wife is a fat pig. :) Some great looking mounts here and some...long as your happy, I'm happy for you.

Yaak, I agree with you. :) That picture of your cat sent a chill down my spine. On a cat we treed last year I was the first one to the tree and we were only using one dog. There were thick trees around a big douglas fir that the cat had treed in. When I pushed throught the branches and looked up in the tree, I was staring at 150 lb. tom with that expression on his face only 15 feet above my head. I looked at our one dog, the little .22 pistol in my hand and thought to myself, " I hope that cat remembers he's scared of dogs and humans and doesn't decide to come down." Thankfully he remembered he was scared of dogs and humans.

08-Oct-11

woodguy65's embedded Photo

08-Oct-11

08-Oct-11
Niether one of those are mine - I just thought they were cool and giving folks ideas. Taxi work done by Dennis Harris - best in the world, he's currently doing a wolf for me.

09-Oct-11
Headhunter wife or mount for sale?

• Sitka Gear