Knife2sharp 21-Mar-08
ironhunter 22-Mar-08
midwest 22-Mar-08
walks with a gimp 22-Mar-08
09-Mar-08

bcbowhunter's embedded Photo
bcbowhunter's embedded Photo

bcbowhunter's Link
This new Bale blind looks good and would work great aroound here. But I wonder how expesive it will be. and how portable.

Bets on price....LOL

Has anyone ever seen it or even used it as test?

Any info

09-Mar-08
No bets on price, but I'd love to have one. I've said for many years that is the design I'd want on a blind. Even in some of my elk hunting spots, I think it would work great. It looks like it might be pricy and heavy since they are using "natural" materials.

09-Mar-08
what about bating.....illegal.....lol......

super close bait pile....

09-Mar-08
Hunted out of them Alberta. Very effective but I didn't much care for them. The ones I hunted from were homemade so I have no idea of price.

09-Mar-08
Should work well until some farmers cows decide to eat your blind. And no I'm not kidding. If I remember right, that thing has alfalfa in it and other things that livestock like to munch on. Also, I'd think it would either mold or rot in a years time.

Great looking blind but not made of practical materials.

09-Mar-08
You put whatever materials you want in it from what Im reading. Your paying for the frame.

I have been waiting for prices myself.........

Don

09-Mar-08
Keith Beam and Brooks Johnson were the featured speakers at this weekend's Nebraska Bowhunters Association banquet and were asked about the bale blind at a question-and-answer session. They didn't know for sure yet, but they were hearing that the blind would cost about $550 to $600. When they were originally designing it, they projected the retail price to be around $400, but metal prices have gone up a bunch since then.

As Don K said, you get the metal frame and then you decide what materials to use on it. They said if a couple of people work on it, it takes about 45 minutes or an hour to have it covered and ready. When finished, they said it weighs around 300 pounds.

10-Mar-08
We got one from Keith and Brook. They sent it in 3 boxes UPS! The main box weighs in at more than 80+ pounds (maybe more) and is long and high (heavy).

My intentions are to put it together at our farm. Judy bought Duck Hunting Woven "fake" Grass to apply to the frame work. I think we can put it on our flatbed trailor and move it around where we want it. Then in OFF SEASON just move it up to one of the sheds out of the way and leave it there till the next season!

I think once we get it together it will work great for many years! It's not something I'd want to take down and put together all the time!.....jmho

10-Mar-08
Looks almost like it is made out od cattle fence panels, is that true? is it mostly skeleton and you add material or does it have a cover then add on top?

BC

10-Mar-08
They're zero dollars and zero cents on shop.primos.com right now. I think I'll take a 1/2 dozen of them, at least!

11-Mar-08
bc....yes, it looks like cattle pannels fastened to some frame work! Then it has Scent Absorbing Black Material that goes over that! Then you add your "grass"....fake or real.

I'll put 'hers' together sometime this summer. I hope it's not hard to do!

One time in Wyoming antelope hunting....we used a whole cattle pannel....staked down one end so it wouldn't move.....then picked up the other end and walked towards the fastened end (hold on TIGHT) bending the pannel skyward. Then have someone fasten it down! We burlap sacked that blind in and touched up with spray paints in a camo pattern.....it worked!!

11-Mar-08

Africanbowhunter's embedded Photo
Africanbowhunter's embedded Photo
They work great I hunted from One

Shootign ports were too small

Red Dot Shot a huge Pope & Young 10 point from oen 2nd day THEY works

Cows tried to eat them as well as deer

Suckers them every time

Tink Nathan

11-Mar-08
Not good for me!

I have hay fever.

11-Mar-08
Can you 'smoke' in one? (I guess I'd need a fire exstinguisher huh?)

11-Mar-08
The ones I huted out of in Alberta must have weighed 300 pounds or more. They moved them around on trailers. You could do the coffee can and toilet paper thing inside and stay plenty warm but getting the deer to pass by slow enough to get the freakin windows open or closed was tough.

You can't open windows on all sides because they pick up your motion immediately. So you have to have the right window open in advance. Also the magpies love to sit on them.

If I were gun hunting, I surely would have a couple. But I don't see why you couldn't build one out of wire and lathing and chicken wire mesh. Cover it with burlap and wire your grass on.

Or maybe just smoke the grass and kick back like Headhunter does.

11-Mar-08
i bet you could make your own out of fence. For as heavy as it is.

12-Mar-08
Good one herm.LOL!!!

12-Mar-08
Sweet!

12-Mar-08
I heard they come with an optional wet bar...

12-Mar-08
I made one about 5 years ago with electrial conduit and it has a fabric cover. It weighs about 20 pounds and has 6 shooting windows. I used it on my last antelope hunt and they didn't pay any attention to it. Grouse like to land on it and walk around. I'll get it set up to turkey and deer hunt this year and post pics. I have pics on my old computer I'll try to find.

12-Mar-08

walks with a gimp's embedded Photo
Let's see if this old computer still works..

12-Mar-08

Here's a few more.

12-Mar-08

Another.

12-Mar-08
OK, Walks with a gimp - I have to ask. I am imagining you and possibly a hunting partner carrying this thing slowly through a field filled with round bales stalking in range of a goat. Or, did you just set it up in a travel area/water hole and wait for goats to come in. Nice work BTW.

A couple of friends tried rolling one slowly into range of a herd of goats after running out of cover on a stalk, but just as they got into range the ground sloped away and the bale began to roll too fast and spooked them off.

13-Mar-08
We just set it up near a crossing leading to a close water hole. I did move it about 200 yards myself while inside across an alfalfa field and my asthma about killed me!!!! It is light enough to carry while inside but I had my bow, pack and chair and that was plenty!. The framework breaks down with wing nuts and the cover has velcro fasteners around the bottom rectangle, windows and doorway. It takes about 10 minutes to set up. It would be more compact if the end hoops were made to come apart in 3 pieces, could be done with slip joints easily enough. I just didn't put in enough time to make it that way.

14-Mar-08

tonyo6302's embedded Photo
tonyo6302's embedded Photo

21-Mar-08
tonyo6302....cool caption!

21-Mar-08
LOL, walks with a gimp, you wanna sell me one of those frames for less than 400$?

Jeffrey

21-Mar-08
Actually, Double Bull used to have a fabric bale blind on their website, I wanna say about 6-8 years ago. But I never knew anybody that ever had one, nor had I ever seen them at any shows they did or in any of the stores that carried their blinds. This was right around the time they started using the Predator deception. I may still have the brochure which also shows some of the different camo patterns they used, like Skyline.

Who knows, maybe it wasn't fabric, maybe it was this same thing, but I don't remember it being quite that big.

22-Mar-08
I bet in a while someone will bring something portable to market. The oportunity/demand for a product like this is large enough to be worth chasing. Walks with a gimp has already done what could be considered an early prototype! Fine tune the frame,then have one or two different type coverings/textures and your off and running. The idea of using one for stalking could really have some possibilities also.

22-Mar-08
I've seen commercially made bale blinds, but they were set up for waterfowl hunting with a spring loaded top that flipped up for shooting.

22-Mar-08
"LOL, walks with a gimp, you wanna sell me one of those frames for less than 400$?

Jeffrey"

I sure will! How about $379.95????

I doubt if I have more than $20.00 in that framework. If I do another, the round parts will be in 3 pieces and it will be larger in diameter and longer. This one has enough room but "more is better"...

• Sitka Gear