General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
Elksnout 29-Nov-08
Kurve 29-Nov-08
Elksnout 29-Nov-08
Kurve 30-Nov-08
Pete In Fairbanks 30-Nov-08
29-Nov-08
I'd like to find out if the bears in the Oregon coast range hibernate differently than areas that have "real winters" with cold temps, snow etc?

29-Nov-08
do you mean length of time, like say compared to the high country?

29-Nov-08
Since we don't have a harsh climate, do they sleep most of the winter, or wake up Periodically and roam around?

30-Nov-08
where the winter is not harsh for extended periods, bears are known to wake-up and move around.

gary alt is a biologist for the PA. F&G and has done extensive studies on bears. i have read some of his work. this behavior has been documented in the NE so I am certain it would occur in western Oregon where the winter temps are relatively mild in comparison.

30-Nov-08
In most areas with a more temperate climate, most bears will sleep during cooler temperatures and move around during warmer weather.

The exception is pregnant sows who stay in the den from late fall until several weeks after their cubs are born.

Bears have what is called "delayed implantation." They breed in June/July, but the fertilized egg does not "implant" on the wall of the uterous until they go into the den and stop moving around.

Pete

• Sitka Gear