Genesis 16-Dec-08
Foodplot 16-Dec-08
Africanbowhunter 16-Dec-08
tonyo6302 17-Dec-08
livinn59801 17-Dec-08
New York Bowman 17-Dec-08
guidermd 17-Dec-08
12-Dec-08
Just watched another Lee and Tiffany episode. Wow the bucks they kill!!! Question is, do they hunt behind fences? I never hear "all fair chase" or "no fences". Also while we're on the subject would you answer the same question about the following celebs which are some of my favs. Ralph and Vicci, Jay Gregory, Knight and Hale, The Dury Bros, Jim Shockey, Michael Waddell, Tom Watson, and add a few more of the "big names" if you would.

Thanks, Flip

12-Dec-08
Private managed lands mostly

12-Dec-08
I am just down the road from lee and tiffany. No high fences, but they have large plots of crops with the very best of the best food plots with their land management. They keep a good magnet with their hard work. I always hope for the ones that leave their areas to come through mine.

12-Dec-08
Lee got his monies worth. 2 perfect purchases LOL

12-Dec-08
Glad to hear that about Lee and Tif. I sure enjoy that show. Seems like maybe I have it figured out and may already be watching the "real" deer. Not meant to start high fence or not issue, just want to watch hunting of free range animals. Flip

12-Dec-08
The shows with people who were not "famous" for something other than hunting are usually genuine and fair chase, i.e. Drury's, Lakoski's, Eastmen's, the Primo's boys etc.

Another thing to look for is those that spend time showing themselves scouting, planting food plots, and hunting mountains, those are almost always fair chase.

When you start having bass fishermen, race car drivers, and those types, you start to see high fence hunting.

If that fails, you can always look up the "outfitter" on the internet if the fences don't show on t.v.

12-Dec-08
I wish my job was hunting giant deer, and I had enoughmoney to buy the land and make it work. More power to those who have made it work, as some of those mentioned here have. I think the minimum you would have to have in a management program is 1000 acres, and ina lot of areas, a lot more.

12-Dec-08
what is wrong with "private, managed lands"?

just seeking the clarification since it was posted that way.? curious.

12-Dec-08
about the only problem with private managed lands rests in the minds of people who are relegated to hunting public unmanaged lands.

12-Dec-08
what happened to that fishing guy last year that got caught klling deer in a pen

12-Dec-08
yeah, thats what I thought the problem was.

so at least we haven't yet decided that is "unethical" to hunt private managed lands.

how about private Unmanaged lands, is that more fair? or ethical?

12-Dec-08
Knight and Hale have hunted with a good friend of mine in Southern Illinois several times. I've been on that property many times and can guarantee that there aren't any fences, just lots and lots of private acres. Like the others have said Lee and Tiffany, Drurys, Ralph and Vickie, Primos, Jay Gregory and Jim Shockey all hunt free-range animals. I would imagine the RealTree guys are no-fence as well, but I don't know.

12-Dec-08
Mul hunting with tiffany wow i dont thing id be the first out of camp...

12-Dec-08
city are you thinking with your thing. Lee mite pull you thing off. LOL

12-Dec-08
I think most of them had a vision about what they wanted and went for it... some of us collected cars '57 chevy, '69 camarao's, some of us bought cheap houses in city's and rented them out, and yes some invested in antiques and sought to gain profit from them, yet these people saw where things were headed for hunting and fishing and took a chance at it. God bless them, because we can sit and watch a good deer hunt in our living rooms when the season is over, and have a beverage of choice while were at it!

These shows are for entertainment and ADVERTISING... I think they are all winners... they are special in their own way, that is why they have their own program's.

If any of us think bad about some of them, we could start our own show.

12-Dec-08
So the ones named above are the good. Now we need the bad and the ugly. Bad, Russ Thornberry, Larry Weishune (sp) just a few times, Bill Burnworth, Ted Nugent, Jackie Bushman, a few times, and probably others who I can't think of now. As for the ugly I am a total loss.

12-Dec-08
More of the celebs have hunted behind a fence than you will ever know.

12-Dec-08
Don't forget Troy Gentry's infamous black bear killed in a small enclosure, then checked as a wild kill.

13-Dec-08
So Wisconsinvette,enlighten us with your wisdom or are you just another jelous hunter lashing out.

13-Dec-08
Northwoods makes a good point, I started checking out the outfitter used for the hunts I watched, not only to check for hi fenced, but also what it costs to hunt there. It's very interesting to see who hunts hi fence and what they are willing to pay to kill a huge buck. I watched Roger Raglin kill a monster one night and checked the outfitter, one fenced area was only 150 acers. His buck would have cost the average Joe $10,000.00. Sad to see it really. I don't think any of the major hunting shows would ever do it. If they did it once, people would question every deer they ever shot.

13-Dec-08
"As for the ugly I am a total loss."

One vote for the dude on McMillian River Outfitters...

13-Dec-08
That dude on McMilliam river outfitters?

does he come across as beign errr sort of... err Odd? Gay maybe? Perv wait i cnt say that on TV

I would not trust him around any kids

13-Dec-08
HERE;S MY BEEF WITH THE PROS,, they show tilling and plowing and seeding for food crops so we can do the same,,, but we , the average hunter don't have the land, the equiptment, the funds or time to do this,, you ever tried growin food plots in the ozarks of arkansas! the other is this,, the scrawny deer in the cornfields are way bigger than any thing down here,,, just my 2 cents,,, but i still like watching tiffany!! lol!!

13-Dec-08
Yeah that McMillan dude gives me chills and I don't know why.For one thing he talks too #@*% much!

13-Dec-08
Yeah it's called McMillan River Adventures and comes on at off-peak times. Used to have the guy that played Willie from "Eight is Enough" on it (I forget his name) but him and the crazy host man had a falling out so he's gone.

They do hunt the remote North country some so I watch sometimes for the scenery and animals...

13-Dec-08
Not All is as it seems to be......but Most is!

Not All got their start with THEIR Money either... but with someone elses!

Some have done well and actually had their own money/business to do just that though!

Sponsorship and money management has helped put a lot of the 'celebs' where they are today. Then some tend to branch off from their roots and go it on their own after managing the monies they had previously taken in!(from sponsorships)

Most of the 'celebs' are good hunters and also evidently good money managers and know how to 'sell themselves' in order to maintain a 'thriving business'!....the ones that don't...WON'T Make It!

Jealousy runs rampit in any success by others.....

BUT....High Fence is just that....and YES there are those that do that too! Their Choice....but I don't watch those shows (usually) even though I like watching 'the animals'!

First and Foremst though.....a show operates on Advertisement! Without that and consumers watching and buying....a show is doomed!...just my $.02 cents

13-Dec-08
Caught part of a show today with Brett Favre hunting over bait but don't know about fences.

13-Dec-08
The McMillan guy is definitely odd, but he must have something going. He has a wife that is hot!

13-Dec-08
The "Primetime Bucks" series by Hunters Specialties is all fair chase.

14-Dec-08
To me its all just entertainment. If you take it for more than that your feelings will get hurt. These people show you what you want to see and tell you what you want to hear. Hunting videos are a business, plain and simple.

14-Dec-08
hunting shows are like soap operas.........you can get really wrapped up in them, or just laugh it off. when it comes to profitting, i don't believe much because money is the real reason for doing it in the first place. gaining people's support is a big thing to ensure profits, so they want you to "LIKE" them. have you ever seen ugly people on hunting shows? if so, not many, that doesn't attract large viewers.

14-Dec-08
What show was Jim Shockey on years ago when all he did was narrate home videos that were sent in? He got started by being one of the best hunters and guides you could find. It used to be almost uncomfortable to listen to him talk, he was pretty raw compared to other hunting celebrities. I kinda liked that, and still do.

Then he started appearing on shows until he had his own. My point, he is the real deal, T.C. pays him alot of money to take record book big game animals all over the world with his T.C. However, I believe that while he is a skilled hunter, he still has to have other guides throughout the nation and world for that matter, find his record book animals and help put him on them. He is still a great "celeb" for the sport.

I know that every hunting show is edited and cut and pasted to make it an enjoyable show. I know this and take all of them with a grain of salt. Of course they are out there to make money, duh! As well as the sponsers. Most who visit the Bowsite would probably give up part of thier anatomy to be in those guys shoes. An informed viewer like most of you, seem to be offended that the "wool is being pulled over your eyes". Why get so wrapped around the axle? Enjoy the shows, or simply turn the channel.

14-Dec-08
FOBROB, if you have the intelligence then think critically about the very simple sentence I wrote.

Now ask yourself how many celebs you know of hunting behind a fence. Now guess if there are probably others out there that have?

I really lashed out didn’t I? I didn’t even accuse anyone.

Oh, and no, I have no reason to be jealous of someone who hunts for a living. Congrats to them on living the dream. I just hope there honest with what they are doing.

14-Dec-08
The Drury Bros. have lots of farms that they own and manage. As for every other big name in hunting, they normally mention the name of the free ranging ranch that they are hunting. They kind of do a promotion for the ranch in exchange for a discounted price.

15-Dec-08
Honesty and integrity are 2 things that there is not much of in the tv outdoor world . When it is not hidh fence or pen raised animals it is the creative editing that is just as offensive as hiding the facts surrounding the kills. I guess it comes down to a persons morals, and it is sad to say but the outdoor tv industry is no better than that of the rest of the country. It is easier to lie than to show how it all really happens . I am not saying that they all fake shows or kills but ot looks as though it is becoming more and more acceptable. Someone stated on another thread that we should get together and critique these shows and write the sponsers about the lack of judgement and beleivabilty of these shows . Anyone else up for this I sure would like to see it happen, dont like being lied to especialy if the liers are making money hand over fist for it. JMHO Thanks Gene

15-Dec-08
The worst hunting show on earth is "Hunting with the Judge". All they do is hunt in high fence. What really gets me is that at the end of the show they say " all hunting was done in the spirit of fair chase"...........PATHETIC!

15-Dec-08
Bone Collector with Michael Waddell coming in January...Hunting show or special effects show?

16-Dec-08
I tell you what takes balls and that is when you say I'm going to hunt Kansas this week and I'll show you the hunt when I get back. Unless you have them tied up to a tree before you get there it is still a crap shoot no matter how many deer they have. Good luck out west and be sure to bring a jacket.

16-Dec-08
Knight and Hale have a high fenced place in Western KY that they hunt, along with a bigger no fence farm.

It is what it is. I don't see them advertising this fact, but that isn't neccesarily hiding it either.

16-Dec-08
no offense, but calling hunting celebs ricjh is like calling a YUGO a pretty good car. lol

celeb's make 10-100 million a year....some more...these guys...lol.....not even close.

a couple mill a year is not exactly braking into fort knox in the world of tv...sports....or entertainment.

some here really need to lighten up and just enjoy life, and what you made of yours!!

serb

16-Dec-08
A few ? for the Serb. How would you feel if someone sold you a 200 inch whitetail and after the fact you found out it was a reproduction . Are you still happy or are you a little upset maybe only worth 500 and not the 2500 you paid. I personally believe that hollywood is just make beleive and that if these shows want to be in that line of work fine , but lets not make like it is anything other than what it is. I personally think that it is borderline fraud , how about a class action suit against sponsers and celeb hunters

16-Dec-08
All we hear is, "Wow I'd love to hunt big bucks for a living. Getting paid to go hunting." I use to make a good living, getting paid to fish. Trust me when I say.. its not glamour, and its more work than most are willing to put up with. And in the end it wasn't fun, it was a job. Do you really think you want to turn something you love into a job. Just add a deadline and a paycheck to it and see what happens.

Most hunting celebs aren't making big bucks. They aren't getting rich by hunting on TV for a living. Most make their money from sponsors and appearances. People like Michael Waddell might be famous hunting celebraties, they are by no means wealthy.

People like Will Primos and Bill Jordan may have money, its because of their companies and not from hunting in front of a camera. Jim Shockey makes his money from outfitting, not hunting on camera. His show helps promote his outfitting business. And there aren't many wealth outfitters.

TV shows are nothing more than entertainment. Period. People watch, sponsors advertise and sell product. If its not entertaining then you won't tune in next week. I am not going to get my shorts in a twist because I think the show didn't represent real life. Its not real life... its a TV SHOW. Even reality TV isn't reality. Who is going to watch a season's worth of boring footage and possibly shoot a decent buck. That would be real life... and no one is going to watch week after week of that. Most of us would hunt a lifetime to kill just one or two of the bucks we see every day on these shows. How do you think they are going to keep people watching, and sponsors contributing $$$ if they doin't make the show entertaining.

Bottom line is, its entertainment. Take if for what its worth. As long as its legal, humane and reasonalbe, then its entertaining. And isn't that why you are sitting in front of the TV in the first place.

16-Dec-08
I have a really old video (20-30 years) by McMillan Outfitters. It is called "Manhunter" and it was an excellent video of a polar bear bowhunt....and definitely fair chase and informative.

I read something at the beginning of this thread about McMillan. Please tell me that the guy being referred is fairly new to the McMillan outfit, because the guy in the videos that I have seems like a stand up guy, and the hunts are definitely fair chase.

16-Dec-08
I wonder what it costs to produce the shows on TV. Many days must be spent getting enough footage to produce the shows, as well as finding a sponsor to pay. It would seem with the things going on with the stock market some of these companys would be cutting back on add dollaars. Does anyone know what is going on in the industry?

16-Dec-08
THE WORST ONE IN MY OPINION IS JIM BURNWORTH... WESTERN EXTREMES... LAMEST SHOW EVER.. ALMOST ALL THE ELK ARE HIGH FENCE AND HE MAKES A POINT TO SAY HOW HARD AND GOOD OF AN ELK HUNTER HE IS.. MAKES ME WANT TO PUKE! I WONT EVER OWN A BOWTECH AS LONG AS THEY SPONSOR THAT CRAP

16-Dec-08
As long as bowtech keeps building x-bows, and sponsoring a show showing gun hunts....many people will feel the same.

16-Dec-08
A lot of interesting points here. What started this was a question from a youngster in my camp this year. While killing time during the mid-day we turned the outdoor channel on and started watching. The youngster, in his first year, asked when we could expect to see some of the deer like the film was showing. I explained to him that the eight or nine mounts on the wall and dozens of average antler mounts in the cabin, (none over 120"), was very typical of the area and represented over 30 years of hunting.

When he asked me why I didn't wait for a deer like those on tv I answered that I still am waiting for one, but in 30+ years of all types of hunting, I think I've only seen the tail end of handful of deer that I would guess went over 125" and they didn't offer a shot. The important thing to me was "if the deer mattered to me", or if they were happy with the animal.

What resulted was an interesting couple of hours with a few teenagers asking questions of the four experienced bowhunters in the group. We were trying to be as honest as possible about their chances of taking a monster buck without putting out the flame that burns inside all of us and keeps us going out "one more time" or staying out "just a little longer" in the hopes the big one will wander by. Lets face it, there are way too many things pulling at teenagers these days to take a chance on disuading one from hunting by telling him that his chance of taking a Pope and Young deer at my camp were slim to none. That fact, coupled with the fact that this one particular kid came from a non hunting family, could result in the loss of a hunter if we didn't play our cards right.

Truth be told, I really didn't have an honest answer about the celebs when the question was put to me. I think I may have said some of it is great stuff representing a seasons worth of work on large private tracts, and a lot of it is garbage produced just for entertainment the same way science fiction or westerns keep us entertained. I asked the kids to think of some of those celebs and monster bucks as actors, placed in position to entertain us and nothing more. I wish I had a better answer, but I didn't, so I thought I would get an opinion here.

At the end of the day we had two of the teenagers kill bucks, an eight point with a 14" spread (taken by the boy from the non hunting home), and a spike. We hooted and hollered and slapped their backs like they had gotten buckzilla! They were the celebs now! I think they may understand a little better now, and what I care about is that I know they want to come back to camp next year.

The deer season ends in New York today, but I have already started making plans to share my camp again next year, I hope you guys will do the same.

Merry Christmas (yes Christmas) and Happy New Year!

Dave Dole aka Flipper

16-Dec-08
"How would you feel if someone sold you a 200 inch whitetail and after the fact you found out it was a reproduction ."

WHAT????????

16-Dec-08
Dave, Good for you having the youths in camp with you. As for the hunting shows and high fences. Maybe we might look at it like this. For some reason, maybe it was us, or maybe it was the TV shows that highlight these monster bucks, these teenagers wanted to be involved with hunting. Whether the shows portray a realistic senario for hunts isn't the point. Maybe the up side is that these shows inspired a couple youths to want to grab a bow and head to the woods. Over time, they'll come to appreciate the reality of a hard earned buck, but until then they found their way into the woods. Thats one more step in the right direction. Kids today have too many distractions and ways to get into trouble. Maybe these shows offer a way to appeal to their sense of instant gratification that all too many of our youths have these days. Right or wrong, these shows played a factor in the teenagers wanting to take up bow hunting. I'm all for that....

16-Dec-08
Frankie, Good point. Flipper

16-Dec-08
Jake,this would be the "new" owner.

16-Dec-08
I like seeing big bucks behind fences or free ranging.

16-Dec-08

Africanbowhunter's embedded Photo
Africanbowhunter's embedded Photo

Africanbowhunter's Link
There is hope for our FUTURE

I was honored to host an 11 year old Texas Girl Alexis Williams on her first deer bowhunt last weekend

second evening she shot a nice Spike buck WT @ 17 yards with a 30# Parker Challenger compound bow AXIS 500 arrow and Steel Force Single Blade Broadhead that went clear through the Buck, and killed it

Alexis Williams is a true celebrity in My book.

17-Dec-08

tonyo6302's Link
"I bet if it were not for Tred Barta, Jackie Bushman, Calibul and mechanical broadheads, there would be no high fences. "

Nope, just salt licks and bait piles.

;^)

17-Dec-08
I might be the odd one out, but I likely the "different" looking bucks. Whether large or small, a unique rack is way more interesting the same ole big ones you see killed by the dozen on modern shows

17-Dec-08
Bad - Jack Brittingham, Jimmy Houston

17-Dec-08
SERB,

he said

"how would you feel if someone sold you a 200 inch whitetial and after the fact you found out it was a reproduction"

i would say you would have to be a bonehead for giving $2500 for a reproduction rack and not knowing enough to identify if as a repro and not real. i got the real jordan buck rack here, come and get it, only $10k while they last!! hehe

• Sitka Gear