passing... thru 24-Jun-11
Elk Dog 24-Jun-11
Ruger109 24-Jun-11
Frankie 2 Times 24-Jun-11
>>>---WW----> 25-Jun-11
25-Dec-08

>>>---WW---->'s embedded Photo
How often have you though about a hot cup of coffee or a warm soup to go with your sandwich while out on a day elk hunt. I know I have so I decided to do something about it. I didn't want to break the bank and buy a stove for $40-$90 so I made my own for nothing, Na Da, zilch! Unless you want to consider the price of the 3 pop rivets that hold it together.

This little stove will boil 2 cups of water almost as fas as your kitchen gass range will. And it was knid of a fun project to make. I've made 5 of them so far and given them to several friends.

Here are some pictures of it. The stove itself is made from an aluminum beer bottle. The windscreen is part of a pumpkin pie filling can. And the pot is the only part I had to buy. I think it was around $6.00 at Sportsmans Warehose. It is just the right size to fit the flame ring produced by the stove.

25-Dec-08

Here it is all nestled inside of the cook pot.

25-Dec-08

Here is just the stove itself in my hand for size comparison. It actually developes about a 4 inch flame ring. I made an aluminum windscreen for it originally and it was so hot, it melted the screen. That is why I went with the screen made from a tin can.

25-Dec-08

And finally, here it is all packed in the pot and ready to place in my pack. There is also room in the pot for some packets of hot chocolate, dehydrated soup or what ever else you might happen to think of.

25-Dec-08
Cute Bill, but what does it burn? I'm guessing you didn't figure out a way to ignite beer... 8^)

Got a close up of the stove inards?

Greg

25-Dec-08
Burns Heet gas treatment in the yellow bottle or denatured alcohol. I'll send you a link to how the stove is made by one guy. Mine is slightly different.

25-Dec-08
That's way cool.More info on the actual stove please.

26-Dec-08

ElkNut1's Link
I agree, it is a cool item. I'm a recipient of one of those stoves & can't wait to put it to use! I will set it up just like WW has his, pot & all. I'm one of those who'd like a cup of coffee or soup on certain days. The weight isn't a factor so it'll be in my pack! Thanks WW

ElkNut1

26-Dec-08
i have an agreement with the elk where i hunt to not bother me when i have my cup of coffee nearby. they are very cooperative in that regard i might add.

26-Dec-08
Ummm..... for the guys wanting more info on the actual stove. That is the actual stove - LOL. Slick little unit W.

Now if I only drank beer I could make one. I suppose I could buy some beer and dump it so I can use the bottle. Just kidding. Thanks again, this will be a good little project to get me through the weekend.

26-Dec-08
what's the three pop rivets for? What kind of bottle for the stove part itself?

26-Dec-08
What is the beer "bottle"? I picture a typical aluminum can. It looks like a bottle shape cut in half with the top inverted and riveted into the base. Am I close? Where do I get the bottle?

26-Dec-08
Bill, that is a dandy penny stove. My problem is the local liquor store does'nt cary the Budweiser aluminum bottles, & I cant even find one on the side of the road.I have made several different versions, including one made from a womans hair spray aluminum can.Search on YOU TUBE for penny stoves & you will get a great education on making one of these nifty little stoves.

26-Dec-08
I don't drink either. I found the first bottle along the road to make the first one with. I bought a 4-pak at the liquor store for the other four I made. I dumped the beer down the stool. Figured the yeast in it might help the septic systim out. LOL!

26-Dec-08

>>>---WW---->'s Link
Lots of questions here so I'll add a link that shows a guy making one. Mine is a little different and I think alot better. But it is made in a similar manner as this video link.

Mine has more burner holes on it. I placed them about 1/2 inch apart. You should end up with 17-18 of them. It produces a much better burn than the one in the video. Also, I didn't put a primer thingy on mine. There is no need for it.

It's a fun little project to make.

24-Jun-11
WW, so no glue and no wick? and the rivets hold the insert tight? or do you run a bead of epoxy when you rivet them together?

24-Jun-11
WW, Extremely cool stove. May have to check out the link and make one for myself in the next couple weeks. Thanks for sharing the idea. May the wind be in your face........

24-Jun-11
How long do the aluminum can stoves last?

24-Jun-11
Bill, can I be your friend too!! :-).

Slick little setup.

25-Jun-11
You pour the fuel in the middle of the stove and just lite it there. No need for a wick. And the rivets hold it together with no other type of glue or or epoxy.

How long will one last? I'd say probably a lifetime. It will never burn out. You will need a wind screen and The one I show in the picture is the cat's meow. Make it the same heigth as the top of the stove.

• Sitka Gear