How often do you replace safety harness?

Printable View - Switch to FULL VIEW

By: Steve Grogg
Posted: 13-Sep-09

My SOP harness is about 10 years old. It seems to still be in good condition but I would rather be safe than sorry. I'd replace it if necessary but, don't want to spend money I don't need to. Anybody know the manufacturer's recommendations? Also wondering what most industrial outfits' policies are regarding this issue.

By: flyingbrass

Yes, they recommend 2 years from the date of manufacture. I saw it on their website, video and packaging. I just got a SOP and it was one year old when I got it. FWIW, I just replaced my old harness which I had since 1995 so I was due. Just use common sense I would say but no way am I replacing a SOP next year no matter when it is made.

By: passthru

You should at least change it each time you fall.

By: kellyharris
Posted: 14-Sep-09

pasthru is correct everytime you fall you should replace it...

i bought a new one last year but i felt my old one was just fine. i bought a sewn in vest

By: Preacherman

In general industry fall protection harnesses typically have a retirement term of 7-10 years. However that is with a fairly extensive annual inspection program and rigorous manufacturing standards. I don't know if recreational fall protection has the same standards so I would go by the manufacturers recommendations.

By: Preacherman

I forgot to mention. the 7-10 year retirement is provided the harness has not been subjected to a fall.

By: milnrick

I just checked some notes from a Treestand Safety Instructor's Course I took earlier this year and verified it with the TMA.

Each Harness should contain a warning label sewn into the inside of one of the panels, or the rip-away tether. The label will tell you the service life of your harness.

The TMA's stated Service Life for a harness is 5 years. Individual manufacturers, however, can specify a shorter period, 2, 3, 4, etc, but should not exceed the 5 year service life.

As several others have already pointed out, the harness/vest should be replaced if it becomes involved in a fall.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 16-Sep-09

Depends on the harness and type of stitching used. I made over 800 freefall jumps in the Army and have had as many as 200 jumps on a rig. Had a couple of reserve openings and that is 120mph plus in freefall and come a almost sudden stop and still jump the same rig over and over again. Always inspect the stitching on your harness often.

USPA D7897

End of Topic

You are viewing the printable View - Switch to full view to respond to this thread Logo