Sage Buffalo 22-Dec-09
toehead 22-Dec-09
fuzzy 22-Dec-09
Sage Buffalo 22-Dec-09
bad karma 22-Dec-09
bad karma 22-Dec-09
fuzzy 23-Dec-09
17-Dec-09
Ok. Before I started hog hunting here in TX/OK all I heard was how bad hog meat was. Real gamey, etc.

8 hogs later (350lbs is my biggest) I have some of the best meat I have ever eaten. I'm baffled by the bad rep. Why?

Matter a fact the first boar I shot the locals told me to just leave it (which I was like what!?!!?!) It was excellent eating.

My kids love it even more than deer which they love.

Of the 8 hogs I have shot 7 were boars over 200+ lbs.

I will say as soon as they are down they are skinned, quartered and in coolers which has always made the game I eat excellent table fare.

Anyway, was wondering if I have just been lucky or everyone has had the same experience?

17-Dec-09
I love the meat, it's fabulous. I sure wouldn't go out of state to hunt hogs if I couldn't eat them. First week March for me, can't come soon enough...

17-Dec-09
I've not eaten "bad" hog meat. Some hogs have been a little more gamey than others, but I suppose that is a function of what they were eating at the time.

17-Dec-09

jcrew1922's embedded Photo
jcrew1922's embedded Photo
we made the hams for Easter last year. the whole family loved it.we are going again this March to shoot a few more.

17-Dec-09
Here in Ca. the truely wild boar hogs over 200 lbs are a bit rank. A nice fat sow is some of the best wild meat I've eaten.

17-Dec-09
Wild hog meat is very hard to beat in my view. We love it! I have heard the same about antelope and, again, I have never had antelope I didn't love. Of course, I tend not to shoot them after they have been running all over creation (even when I was rifle hunting).

Right now I would say my order of preference is antelope, hog and then elk. As a TV host says, those are "good eats!"

17-Dec-09
I think I have enough years of hunting, 15 now, to say I believe the gamey comments on meat is due to improper handling of the meat whether accidental or neglect.

I know many have killed more game than I have I probably have 100+ animals under my belt and can say I have NEVER had a bad eating animal. Not 1. Now I have missed and had the unfortnate experieces of making bad shots (so I am no super hunter by any means).

I was lucky enough to start hunting antelope first and because you hunt them in 100+ degree weather at times you have your animal in a cooler in 1-2 hours max.

I kind of institued that with all game I hunt and am careful as can be to not get anything nasty on my meat and wash it down when I can and have it wrapped in frozen immediately.

My wife and I have been married 16 years and we have lived off of wild game. My kids love it as well.

Sorry for the long winded post just a thought I had.

17-Dec-09
Different folks have different tolerance levels for "off" tasting meat. My husband won't eat venison that tastes like a rutting buck smells, and is much more sensitive to the "goatey" taste that our dairy goat's milk acquires when she's ready to be dried off. That being said, wild hog meat is very good and tastes much like very lean pork...which after all, is exactly what it is. The flavor of the meat however is influenced by the animals diet and the way the meat is handled. However big, mature, rank-smelling boars tend to yield meat that smells and tastes just like that musky old boar. You can soak it in ice water, cover it with cayenne and try anything else to cover up that musk, but if you can't get past that smell/flavor then you're not going to care for it. We prefer to eat either sows or young boars and leave the trophy boars for hanging on the wall. Not every big boar is rank, but you'll know a bad one as soon as you walk up to it. Basically, if the meat stinks while you're trimming it on the gamepole, it's going to smell the same way while roasting in your oven.

-Cheryl

17-Dec-09
Cheryl-

Thanks for the tip!!! I will keep that in the memory.

17-Dec-09
Cheryl - that's why I always shoot the smaller ones! 8-)

And if you believe that, I have this bridge to talk to you about...

17-Dec-09
I agree with Cheryl 100%....

17-Dec-09
I've yet to eat any bad wild hog, but I've had deer and antelope stink just like Cheryl said about some of her boars.

17-Dec-09
I hunt hogs for a living here in Florida and I have never had one taste bad.I hear everyday do not eat boar hogs but I think it is a unique person that can tell the difference as long as it has not been run and not all of them smell or taste stronge.Enjoy we will tomorrow on the grill.

17-Dec-09
Yode - Tell me more of this bridge you speak of...

17-Dec-09
Back where I grew up jackrabbits were supposed to be tough, stringy and gamey and nobody ate them. Well, we did. My brothers and I shot many hundreds over the years and every one turned out tender and delicious (although some of the credit belongs to good ol' Mom's cooking skills, I suppose!) Too bad the coyotes have pretty much wiped out the population back home.

Javelina is another with a bad rep, but I've got a friend who has been hunting them for years. He brought some on our antelope hunt this year and I think it may have edged out antelope as my favorite wild meat. It was incredible, and all he did to cook it was put it in the crock pot with some wine and onion soup mix.

18-Dec-09
Mike, it's in Brooklyn,New York. I won't deliver though!

18-Dec-09
I raise hogs.

When a boar is breeding sows he is gamey if he's not he tastes as good as anything else.

18-Dec-09
On this subject I defer to the man whose handle is "Pig Doc".

:)

18-Dec-09
Pig Doc is spot on :-)

20-Dec-09
I love wild hog on the smoker but with a ranky big boar I just make it into fine tasting sausage. I've only had a few stinky ones but like cheryl says you know it when you are skinning. They all made good italian sausage though.

20-Dec-09

Sage Buffalo's embedded Photo
Just made another great roast tonight from one of these bad boys. My 2 guides are in the picture.

It was so ridiculously good I still can't believe how much I love the meat. My 5 yo daughter thinks its the best.

I pray I never shoot a boar as Pig Doc has mentioned. That would be a shame!

20-Dec-09

Another pic...

20-Dec-09
Pig Doc,

"Boars, whether wild or domestic, produce a hormone, androstenone, that along with skatole, cause boar taint."

Based on your above statement I am serious when I ask this question- do all mammals, including man, have a harmone like a pig that produces a bad odor?

Thanks

21-Dec-09
My wife, Cheryl and myself are in a unique situation to be around wild hogs everyday of the year. In the last 10 years we have made our living by providing a place for hunters to hunt wild hogs. I would be safe in saying we have seen a few thousand killed. We field dressed them, skinned them, processed them, cooked and ate them and most importantly, we get to hear of the consumers reports of the meat. Here's what I know...

Most sows are great flavor...No "boar" taste

Young boar is great (mostly 1 year or younger)

Castrated males are great...

Old boar (mature) that have been "rutting" are rank. Keep in mind that hogs can, and do breed year round, just more in cooler months of fall/winter and spring. Food dictates breeding activity as well.

If I had to put a percentage of good, non-hormonal favor versus rank favor boar, I would say 70% strong and 30% neutral. Again, this isn't science, but our true life, being around it 24/7 experience.

Seems most everyone that comes to kill a hog says "I want a boar!" I tell them if you want one to mount then have at it. If for food, shoot a sow. I think the men feel it's more "manly" to shoot a BOAR! 8*} It's that testosterone...go figure!

Respectfully,

Matt Napper

Shiloh Ranch Hunting Camp

21-Dec-09
My wife, Cheryl and myself are in a unique situation to be around wild hogs everyday of the year. In the last 10 years we have made our living by providing a place for hunters to hunt wild hogs. I would be safe in saying we have seen a few thousand killed. We field dressed them, skinned them, processed them, cooked and ate them and most importantly, we get to hear of the consumers reports of the meat. Here's what I know...

Most sows are great flavor...No "boar" taste

Young boar is great (mostly 1 year or younger)

Castrated males are great...

Old boar (mature) that have been "rutting" are rank. Keep in mind that hogs can, and do breed year round, just more in cooler months of fall/winter and spring. Food dictates breeding activity as well.

If I had to put a percentage of good, non-hormonal favor versus rank favor boar, I would say 70% strong and 30% neutral. Again, this isn't science, but our true life, being around it 24/7 experience.

Seems most everyone that comes to kill a hog says "I want a boar!" I tell them if you want one to mount then have at it. If for food, shoot a sow. I think the men feel it's more "manly" to shoot a BOAR! 8*} It's that testosterone...go figure!

Respectfully,

Matt Napper

Shiloh Ranch Hunting Camp

I agree 100 percent. I quit shooting boar hogs many yrs ago. Although I do know a guy that swears you can shoot a rank one put it in a cooler full of ice and add grapfruit juice and let it drain down. Do that a few days and he says it will take the stinch out of them. I told him I'd rather just take the grapefruit juice put a little vodka in it and let the boar hog go.

21-Dec-09
I must have gotten lucky and while I may be 7 for 7 on the boars as far as taste is concerned I may run out.

Look like sows from here on out unless it's a big tusker!!!!

BTW The guide on the left is 250 lbs to give you an idea of how big he is!

21-Dec-09
puzzles me as well, only ever had one that wasn't good, a very old and tough boar (and the flavor wasn't bad, just really tough)

21-Dec-09
Some folks can eat carp on shingles and love the cedar flavor! LOL! :-)

Seriously though...I really believe some people (such as myself have vary sensitive palates. Boar can be so tuff it takes a saw to cut the gravy though.

Swine and Dine!

Matt

21-Dec-09
Pig Doc,

Thanks for your response. I have found this to be an interesting thread.

Tradman and Huntress your response is right in line with what other hog hunting operations have shared with me.

Tkx

21-Dec-09
"I told him I'd rather just take the grapefruit juice put a little vodka in it and let the boar hog go."

ROTFLMAO!

22-Dec-09
pigdoc, thanks for the info. I have come to the conclusion that:

1) people who have actually TRIED boar meat, and dislike it, must actually taste and/or asmell something there that I can not and :

2) people who actually EAT mayonnaise can not POSSIBLY be smelling (or tasting, ugh!) what I smell and taste!

22-Dec-09
It's like Celantro (Sp?). To some it tastes like heaven but to me and many others it tastes like soap (some chemical).

However, wild boar meat tastes like Kobe beef (ok maybe a stretch there) but I am passing hunting deer this weekend to chase more hogs!!!)

22-Dec-09
I am down to 1/2 a tenderloin and a package of cutlets form the 100+ lber I shot at Shiloh during the Leatherwall hunt in September...some of the best dang meat I have ever eaten, pork or otherwisde, wild or ortherwise! I cooked the first half of the tl last night in butter, i had cut it into little medalions, literally melted in my mouth! CAN NOT WAIT TO COOK THE OTHER HALF TONIGHT!

WILD BOAR...It's whats for dinner at my house!

22-Dec-09
wonder if theres a connection there?

mayonnaise smell seriously gags me

22-Dec-09
Fuzzy: what part of VA are you in? I use to live in gloucester and Richmond. You live in the mayonnaise belt...mayonnaise is put on everything!!

22-Dec-09
My two biggest hogs at Shiloh were 300 lbs and 221 lbs. Both were delicious. I cooked the backstraps at a friend's 60th birthday party, and they were gone in minutes.

Yes, there are some old stinky pigs, but I think it happens a lot less than claimed. And I also suspect that meat care plays a part in it, too.

22-Dec-09
My two biggest hogs at Shiloh were 300 lbs and 221 lbs. Both were delicious. I cooked the backstraps at a friend's 60th birthday party, and they were gone in minutes.

Yes, there are some old stinky pigs, but I think it happens a lot less than claimed. And I also suspect that meat care plays a part in it, too.

23-Dec-09
Sage Buffalo, I have heard of Gloucester and Richmond, but I can't see them from here!

Seriously, I am closer to Nashville than Newport News.

No "mayo belt" here!

That answer your question? ;-)

• Sitka Gear