Sitka Gear
Deer are stressed so what do I feed 'em?
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
tadpole 03-Mar-10
LongbowBob 03-Mar-10
Wages 03-Mar-10
Zbone 03-Mar-10
pav 03-Mar-10
Treerat 03-Mar-10
Wages 03-Mar-10
Stikboman 03-Mar-10
JUSTHUNT1 03-Mar-10
Chris Roe 03-Mar-10
thesquid 03-Mar-10
LKH 03-Mar-10
pav 04-Mar-10
Oakie 04-Mar-10
JJJ 04-Mar-10
fuzzy 04-Mar-10
fuzzy 04-Mar-10
tadpole 04-Mar-10
glacier 04-Mar-10
Gundy 04-Mar-10
Russ Koon 04-Mar-10
pav 04-Mar-10
Stikboman 04-Mar-10
Sage Buffalo 04-Mar-10
Foodplot 04-Mar-10
fuzzy 04-Mar-10
keith 04-Mar-10
fuzzy 04-Mar-10
keith 04-Mar-10
fuzzy 04-Mar-10
St. Croix 04-Mar-10
fuzzy 04-Mar-10
pav 04-Mar-10
SERBIANSHARK 04-Mar-10
Zbone 05-Mar-10
TD 05-Mar-10
JUSTHUNT1 05-Mar-10
pav 05-Mar-10
Zbone 05-Mar-10
keith 08-Mar-10
Sagittarius 08-Mar-10
ahunter55 08-Mar-10
Foodplot 08-Mar-10
loprofile 09-Mar-10
Foodplot 09-Mar-10
loprofile 09-Mar-10
keith 10-Mar-10
guidermd 10-Mar-10
Foodplot 10-Mar-10
pav 10-Mar-10
LLBUX 10-Mar-10
sagittarius 10-Mar-10
03-Mar-10
I got to believe the bucks are in a pretty sever state of stress at present, so for you experts out there, just what would you feed them NOW? Forget the food plots etc. Would shelled corn relieve any of the stress?

03-Mar-10
Probably not much. Most Fish and Game departments would tell you not to feed them.

LBB

03-Mar-10
LBB beat me to it. :)

I've heard it many times over the years that feeding deer, particulary feeding them corn, where they are not used to eating corn, actually causes them more problems than just letting them fend for themselves.

Deer are ruminants and thus have a rather complex digestive system and as I understand it feeding them a feed that is too rich in carbs will cause an increased level of certain acids that kill specialized bacteria they need to break down woody browse that they survive on during the winter months. Basically then they can eat all they want but because their stomachs now lack the bacteria, they can't break down the food into nutrients, and they often starve or become weekened several weeks after the intial feeding.

Of course if you live where there is already corn stubble fields everywhere, then maybe they're already used to corn. But from what I've seen in northern MO they still hit the woody browse hard even though they forage on picked corn fields all winter, so . . . it's probably best just to let nature do her thing.

03-Mar-10
Good post Wages

03-Mar-10
Dissenting opinion here....may get slammed, but I've witnessed the benefit first hand, so have at it.

We're feeding 16%(min) protein alfalfa cubes (approx 1-1/2" squares). Four feeders spread out over 800 acres. Going through about 400lbs/week right now.

I'm from Indiana. We provide a diversity of food plots as close to year round as possible. There just isn't anything left come February and March. That's when we put out supplements.

Have found the deer will tell you when they are hungry...and when they don't need the supplements any more. i.e. We put out the first round of feed on January 26th. Trail cams confirmed the feed was found quickly, yet the deer really didn't start taking advantage of it until February 7th.

They are calling for temps in the 50's all next week, so I expect a gradual slow down and expect the deer to snub the feed by the end of the month.

We had zero mast crop last fall, below average temps this winter and above average snowfall....so the activity at the feeders was above average this year.

Mineral licks will be freshened for the year within the next couple weeks.

Goal is to have the herd in "growth" mode rather than "recovery" mode when the sun tells those antlers to take off. Healthy does yield healthy fawns as well.

03-Mar-10
I don't feed deer. This is just a question because I am not sure so why are the deer pounding every standing corn field near my house and how would that be different in this area if someone was feeding corn when the deer seem to eat it by choice out of the fields. And I would think that wild deer that are feed corn would also eat browes during their travles at night. Just wondering.

Mike

03-Mar-10
I think the key to feeding would be to do it gradual to start with, and to gradually quit, so that you don't upset the stomach ph levels.

I'm no expert on this, just passing along what I've been told and/or read over the years from those who are.

03-Mar-10
an option would be to cut down some trees. if the deer are stressed they may be on them before you get too far away. happened to my uncle cutting wood last week. he dropped a tree, walked about 100 yards to get the dozer to skid it out and there were two deer on the tree when he got back. this way you can work around the unatural feeding issue and still give the deer a full belly

03-Mar-10
No offense to anyone here but deer are wild animals and have managed to survive on their own all this time without people feeding them. Any concern for the does or just the antlered ones? Anybody ever consider feeding a homeless family or maybe helping some elderly person pay their power bill? How about some less fortunate children who need some shoes or a coat, or maybe just a little money in their pocket to buy a fishing or hunting license. Oh the poor stressed out bucks!! What about those poor stressed out rabbits and squirrels? If I were a buck a little acorn pie and a massage could go along way.

03-Mar-10
Great post by Wages, but Tadpole - where do you live and what is the problem? It takes a LOT to winter stress deer depending on where you live, what the habitat looks like around you, and how LONG the "stress" that you suspect has been occurring. ...more details are needed.

In general, yes, deer that are not used to being supplementally fed can suffer disastrous health problems (especially with corn if they aren't digestively "used" to it right now) despite the good intentions we may have. 99% of the time, unless they are USED to it, and are given the TYPES of winter nutrition they need, feeding does more harm than good.

03-Mar-10
If you start feeding, continue to feed. If they are not visiting a corn field don't feed them corn. A deer can starve with a full stomach if it's not what they are accoustem to eating. The bacteria used can only handle what it's doing at the time, a quick change in diet will not help the deer.

The best way to feed deer right now is to cut some branches or hall in branches that they can munch on. They really don't need all that much food right now, a little goes a long way.

03-Mar-10
Feeding deer is a great way to trash the brush and other things within about a mile of the feed site.

04-Mar-10
The following is from a NAW article on deer nutrition written by David Morris..

SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING Let's assume that a deer on decent natural habitat will eat no more than 25 percent of its daily diet in supplemental feed (high-protein pellets, cottonseed, dried soybeans, etc.). The only time I've ever seen deer eat more than about 2 pounds of supplemental feed per day is when they have degraded the natural habitat to the point that browse plants (including not just "ice cream" plants but also "subsistence" species) are of limited availability and quality. In such cases, the deer have no choice but to utilize supplemental feed heavily to get adequate nutrients.

True, whitetails can do well enough on supplemental feed, as evidenced by captive deer with no other forage options; however, they will only become dependent on such feed when forced to because of severely degraded habitat nearly devoid of natural browse. Deer are browsers by nature. Standing in one place at a feeder and eating feed is an unnatural act, and they will only do it in excess if forced to by the elimination of good browse options.

Let's assume that supplemental feed has 20 percent protein. With 25 percent daily consumption of supplemental feed and 75 percent of natural forage (at 11 percent protein), the average protein level increases from 11 percent to 13.5 percent. That's nearly a 25 percent improvement: much better than the natural habitat alone, but still well below the 16 percent level reputed to be the desired minimum for full body and antler growth.

Assuming that supplemental feed replaces 25 percent of the natural browse in the diet, logic says that the herd density can increase by 25 percent — to a deer per 19.1 acres — without a significant increase in browsing pressure on the habitat. Or, to look at it another way, if the density stays at a deer per 25.6 acres, the increase in the nutritional plane (as reflected by the increased protein level) would result in an increase in body and antler size. How much? Perhaps something along the order of 25 percent of what would be possible with ideal nutrition.

So with supplemental feed in poor natural habitats, we see real gains in both deer numbers and size - without, in theory, necessarily impacting the habitat negatively. And my experience with supplemental feed supports this theory. It can elevate the nutritional plane enough to boost size and allow more deer to be carried. However, the degree of improvement is incremental and limited without damaging the natural habitat.

One of the great benefits of supplemental feed is that it tends to help level out year-to-year and season-to-season forage fluctuations, which can be a real challenge in some parts of North America. Also, it can give managers without an agricultural option a way to improve the herd.

The danger of too much long-term dependence on supplemental feed is the temptation to increase deer numbers to the point that the natural habitat is severely degraded. This creates a damaged ecosystem, a situation unacceptable to any responsible deer manager.

04-Mar-10
I think the biggest point is that if you elect to feed deer, you need to sign on for a full time job. Don't start and stop it. Get something out there like a gravity feeder and keep it full year round. That way the deer can feed when they want to.

I'm using 3 1200# feeders filled with 13% or 20% creep calf feed. I keep it up for them year round. They were already hitting the cattle feeders anyway, and this style gives them the ability to get it in their system, get used to it, and thrive off of it when they need it. When other food sources are available, they use it less, but still use it.

04-Mar-10
Stikboman is right on if you have the trees. O couple of trees knocked down supplies a lot of what they need.

04-Mar-10
don't

04-Mar-10
"The danger of too much long-term dependence on supplemental feed is the temptation to increase deer numbers to the point that the natural habitat is severely degraded. This creates a damaged ecosystem, a situation unacceptable to any responsible deer manager. "

don't

04-Mar-10
Guess I shouldn't feed any corn. Sure would hate to have any of those deer turn into the 'puny, sickly, underfed kind like they have in the corn belt states like Iowa or even Indiana or maybe Kansas or MO where they can eat as much corn all winter as they can forage from those fields.

I do like the idea about the alphala cubes too. Got me thinking about cowpea hay and how hard that would be to put up.

04-Mar-10
Lots of good info above.... Deer are ruminents and their diets must be changed slowly. If you take a deer in winter eating mostly browse (high fiber, decent protein and low energy) it's rumen (first stomach) will have long papilli (little flaps of tissue lining the stomach) to absorb nutrients. the bacteria in the rumen will also be rich with species that digest high fiber feeds. If they are hungry and you dump a rich food source in fromt of them, the rumen will become very acidic and will burn the papilli creating scar tissue, which will interfere with absorption of nutrients in the rumen.

In nature, the available feed sources change relatively slowly. it gives the papilli a chance to get shorter and fatter to avoid getting burned and the bacteria will be able to shift their populations to better digest the new feed source. If you want to feed deer, you need to be consistent. You can't wait until they are starving and then dump a bunch of feed to them. browse is actually pretty nutritious and will get deer through the winter fine if there is enough quantity. I like the idea of cutting down a tree or putting some trimmed branches out there for the deer to feed on.

04-Mar-10
"Dissenting opinion here....may get slammed, but I've witnessed the benefit first hand, so have at it."

I agree.

The days in Ohio where deer live on woody browse all winter are LONG since over. They most likely survive on corn and soybeans from picked fields.

Feed 'em corn and they'll be just fine.

04-Mar-10
I'm with pav on this matter.

He's been a keen observer and prudent manager of wildlife for quite some time, and knows the subject firsthand, not from reading what some "expert" wrote in a magazine.

I haven't examined the stomach contents on very many of the deer I've killed over the years, but my first one, a healthy young buck killed in late October, was busily snuffing up acorns when I shot him, but had a good bit of corn in his stomach when my buddy who was hunting with me that evening checked it out. That tells me that our deer around here, which usually grow up within easy walking distance of a cornfield, can digest a certain percentage of corn in their diet on a regular basis.

I've noticed some deer feeding sign around the edges of cornfields every time I've looked for it for the last fifty years, but it seldom extends past the first few rows. That indicates to me that they take a few nibbles when it's convenient, but don't make it a staple of their diet when other preferred foods are available, which pretty much also substantiates what pav said.

Lastly, I've seen the results of the winter feeding that my brother-in-law and nephew do on their property. They feed pretty much on the same pattern that pav does, but on a smaller scale. They only supplement during the hard winter months, and added some extra this year because the winter has been a particularly tough one.

Like most anything else you can name, feeding can be overdone until it becomes a negative, or done poorly, but I see no harm, and only good from doing it within reasonable limits and with some common sense.

04-Mar-10
Thanks for the vote of confidence Russ.

To expand on what has already been said, corn is far from the best option available. Actually, it is a poor choice for your money. You are only talking roughly 7% protein content...which is nearly 40% less than natural browse.

Purina markets a deer chow at 20% protein, but you are talking in excess of $20 for a 50lb bag. Depending on the quality, alfalfa cubes and pellets will be somewhere in the 14-16% protein range. The deer will utilize these much more readily than actual alfalfa hay. Keeps better in bad weather too. You can buy 100lbs of cubes/pellets for about the same cost as 50lbs of chow.

For a midwestern climate, we're only talking a couple months of feeding. A mix of perennial food plots (clover, alfalfa, chickory, etc..) coupled with some annual food plots (brassicas, oats, rye, etc..) will sustain the herd's needs from spring warm up right up through early winter. As mentioned earlier, February and March are the critical months.

We know our deer aren't going to starve without the supplemental feed, but we also know they will go into spring growth and fawning in alot better physical shape with it than without it.

Somebody asked if this was just for bucks? Well, you can put a "Buck's Only" sign above the feeder, but I don't think the does will pay a bit of attention to it.... :^)

04-Mar-10
kind of a side topic, its been mentioned here about food plots. here in wisconsin where i hunt we are talking about 10-12 in of hard snow with some ice layers mixed in. we have a 3 acre field that the deer hammered earlier but there is hardly a track in it now. is there any good way to get them to use it? i have thought of taking my uncles skidder and clearing it off in some spots, would that work? or are the deer's mind on other food sources right now?

04-Mar-10
Guys-

I believe the issue here is that a prolonged, severe winter has dramatic impacts on herds.

A normal hard winter isn't great but most adult animals can survive but it's when it's hard AND long is when a supplemental feeding can improve things significantly.

I have never heard that feeding them corn could hurt them as the property i hunt just started the year round feeding and we noticed a HUGE difference in body weight and antler production.

Again, this has been an awful year hear in TX and region. Anything to help get the animals through the next few weeks would be worth it.

04-Mar-10
The bucks will grow better antlers if they are in tip top shape when the growing season starts.To much corn can be VERY BAD.

04-Mar-10
"I have never heard that feeding them corn could hurt them "

you have now :-)

04-Mar-10
I'm from the UP of Michigan where every winter is long and hard. Also, we have very little agriculture. There are people here that have fed deer for generations. They could write a book on the right way and wrong way to feed deer. In a nutshell, use high quality, high protein pellets. The pellets should be made with a binder so they don't mush up in the snow or wet. Spread the feed in long lines. That way all the deer get some, not just the dominant one. I'm told a good rule of thumb for supplemental feeding is 1 pound of food per 100 weight of deer per day.

04-Mar-10
keith, how do you round 'em up and weigh 'em?

04-Mar-10
Fuzz, we have a scale at the beginning of the food line. If they don't weigh in, they don't eat.

04-Mar-10
oh good deal! :-)

04-Mar-10
Deer are like people...the more handouts they get, the more they depend and become accustomed to it...to the point of becoming a nuisance.

04-Mar-10
yeah, if they ever get the vote, we and the coyotes are so screwed! LOL

04-Mar-10
I don't buy the idea that winter corn is "bad" for midwestern farm deer. Too much of it available here in the Corn Belt at any given time. Corn is just not a high protein food source...and protein is the key.

Another thing to consider is turkeys. If you have many turkeys wintering in the same area you are feeding deer, they will flat take over corn, all-stock, or a mixture of the two. We learned about all-stock the hard way. Bought some 14% all-stock one time and ended up with a couple thousand trail cam photos of turkeys! They hung out from fly down to roost time...every day ..until the all-stock was gone. Those birds are much less likely to bother alfalfa cubes and pellets.

Don't start what you can't finish. Financially, three of us will spend close to $200 apiece feeding 400lbs/week for two months. The tough part can be the weather. Wading knee deep snow with 50lb bags over your shoulders is no picnic. Quite a workout actually!

04-Mar-10
I agree with everything Pav has said.

05-Mar-10
One guys sez 2 cups per deer a day, another sez one pound corn per 100 pounds of deer? Which is it, any other opinions?

05-Mar-10
Not sure on deer, but when Coach is stressed I go right to the red wine and chocolates.

OK, carry on, ttt.

05-Mar-10
If you truly love your deer a rub and tug is highly recommended.

05-Mar-10
Zbone - "One guys sez 2 cups per deer a day, another sez one pound corn per 100 pounds of deer? Which is it, any other opinions?"

Corn? Better go back and read again.

How much food to put out will depend on how many deer are visiting the feeders, how often, and the number of times per week you are willing to restock. I couldn't begin to guess how many different deer hit our four feeders regularly?

We restock once every seven days when the deer are hitting the feeders hard. Trail cams are a big help. If I show up at the end of the week and the feeders are empty...I need to know when the feed ran out in order to adjust the amounts effectively. If there is feed left over, just top it off accordingly.

Weather man says a gradual warm up is on the way. The feeders will soon give way to new spring growth in the clover and alfalfa plots.

05-Mar-10
Sorry pav, but you are not one of the guys I was talking about corn.

08-Mar-10
"another sez one pound corn per 100 pounds of deer?"

That is "feed" not "corn".

08-Mar-10
Winter Deer Feeding

How and Where to feed: Winter feeding does very little to help the regional deer herd survive the winter because most of the herd (as much as 70%) is inaccessible to feeding. However, it can benefit individual deer if done properly. If you intend to feed, you must DO IT RIGHT, OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL! Careful consideration should be given to feeding efforts prior to implementation. If done improperly, you can do more harm than good.

Feeding tips: try to feed near sheltered areas with conifer cover that are out of the wind feed away from areas of high human use, dogs, cars, and snowmobiles supply feed at a rate of 2 pounds per deer per day resupply feeders when 90% of food is eaten put food in several places to avoid competition among deer for food use trough or box type feeders placed on the ground to avoid waste and fecal contamination Keep feeding deer until the snow melts in spring. Also, be aware that feeding can attract fairly high numbers of deer, and can result in surprisingly high expenses. Feeding deer in or near your yard can also attract and concentrate deer where they may also browse on much of your, or your neighbor's, ornamental trees and shrubs.

What to feed: If you accept the responsibilities of feeding deer, the following foods should be considered.

Deer Food Mixes: The Department of Natural Resources recommends feeding a special deer food mix consisting of a mixture of corn, alfalfa, oats, soybeans, molasses, and several vitamins and minerals. Many feed mills in Wisconsin sell this mixture in pellet or meal form. If such a mix is not available, rabbit or horse pellets with at least 12% protein can be used. By late February, deer that have been eating on woody browse for most of the winter can switch and readily digest this food better than corn or hay.

Oats: After the special deer food mixture, oats are preferred over all other supplemental foods. They provide deer with a very favorable ratio of fiber and carbohydrates.

Corn: We do not recommend feeding deer a pure corn diet as the high starch content of corn can cause high acidity in the rumen which kills microorganisms necessary for digesting food. Corn is widely used deer food in Wisconsin. It is less expensive than the deer mixtures, but not as nutritious. If corn is fed, it should be mixed with oats at a ratio of 4 parts oats to 1 part corn. Do not use corn unless you start feeding it early in the winter before deer are stressed.

Hay: In northern forested areas of Wisconsin, hay is the least desirable food for winter feeding purposes, and is not recommended. When deer have had reduced intake because of low food supplies, rumen activity declines and fermentation of fiber decreases. The fiber type in alfalfa cannot be readily broken down, and it can impact deer in such a way that it dooms them to continued starvation.

When to feed: Deer can be fed all winter if done for recreational purposes. If the intent is to save deer in a severe winter, the most cost effective approach is to start feeding in late February and continue through snow melt or until deer have dispersed to summer habitats. During March and early April is the time of winter when most deer that succumb to winter stress are likely to die. This is the time when supplemental feeding can benefit deer most, and will insure that you do not run out of interest and funding at a critical time of the year for deer.

08-Mar-10

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
I don't feed the deer but I have 2 groups (1 of 15 & 1 of 17) that frequent my back yard from adjoining timber. I DO have 5 Big Bird feeders & a shelled corn feed spot (50# bag lasts 4-5 weeks) for the bushy tails (10-15 a day). Our snow has been early & long. The deer started coming & eating whatever the Birds had not gotten in late afternoon in Dec & have continued. We have had 3 days of rain & warm weather & there are tons of places you can SEE the ground now. We have had NO DEER come since this happened. I think if something is available & they are know it's there they will eat it. I'm guessing most deer will adjust to the corn pretty quickly & I do know one thing-all the baiters need to use BIRD SEED-they LOVE it... I see them raiding other BIRD feeder spots around here also...They know where ALL the bird feeders are.

08-Mar-10
Good post Doug.That is alot like the mixture I use for my preserve.

09-Mar-10
How much would you estimate the per deer costs of a meaningful supplemental feeding program?

09-Mar-10
For me I figure $350.00 per deer.

09-Mar-10
That sounds like a reasonable number. I put out 6 game cameras the week after our season ended and checked them at the end of a week. I was able to identify 26 different bucks. Assuming I have at least twice, my feed bill would be 52 X $350 or $27,300. Might be beneficial but out of my means.

10-Mar-10
We purchased pelletized deer food for $270/ton, that's about 14 cents/pound. If you feed a deer 2 pounds a day for 90 days, that totals $25.20, year round about $100.

10-Mar-10
all this sounds great, but the deer know far more than what we will ever know. since when does a person in this country know how to feed themselves properly, let alone feed wildlife properly??!! we are the fattest unhealthiest nation on earth, yet we certainly know how to take care of our wildlife, but not ourselves!! this response is a bit tongue in cheek too. in reality, the deer will do just fine with or without man's interventions and so called "knowledge". no one can feed a deer herd in any given area, they can only feed a few visitors. the 10k deer in my county don't benefit one bit from my feeding, but the deer in my yard might. regardless of what you feed them, the deer know what to eat, how much of it to eat, how much not to eat, and things they should or shouldn't eat. when it comes to their nutritional needs, they are superior to man in knowing what they need and don't need. no deer is so stupid that it comes to a feeder and fills its gut with corn, then develops bad anters, stomach problems, weight loss, etc, etc. put out 40 tons and each and every visiting deer will only eat what it needs, no different than if you put out 40 pounds and still walk away satified. feeding deer isn't rocket science, but if you are trying to raise wild deer like we raise livestock, then thats a whole other issue that could require some rocket science. but i don't think that is the subject here. nature never provides the exact same food qualities from year to year, so trying to suggest the exact nutritional needs of any deer in any given year is useless. keep it simple, and the deer will figure out for themselves what is good for them far better than man ever could. i've feed deer high quality corn and deer chow and they seem happy, then i watch other deer turn their heads at it and eat the bark off of a tree......go figure:)

10-Mar-10
I have been raising deer for several years.They can eat to much corn and die.I don't think freeranging deer will eat to much corn because they have alot of other things to eat.But if they do it can hurt them.

10-Mar-10
An update on our feeders ...FYI,

During the cold and snow weeks, each of our four feeders were going through about 100lbs of supplement per week.

Last week, the sun came out, the snow melted off, and across the board...feeder usage was cut in half. It will continue to dwindle until we pull the feeders altogher in a few more weeks. Mission accomplished!

Like guidermd said...

"the deer know what to eat, how much of it to eat, how much not to eat, and things they should or shouldn't eat. when it comes to their nutritional needs, they are superior to man in knowing what they need and don't need."

10-Mar-10
If your herd is not overpopulated, there should be no need to feed them. Native browse and crop residue should meet their needs.

Feeding concentrates deer unnaturally and encourages habitat destruction and disease transmission.

Let God take care of them.

10-Mar-10
Amen

• Sitka Gear