drwes 06-May-10
gobble50 06-May-10
eyedoc 17-May-10
John Sturtevant 17-May-10
eyedoc 17-May-10
John Sturtevant 18-May-10
eyedoc 18-May-10
27-Apr-10
I am putting together a bowhunt for August of 2011 in Namibia and I am looking for a hunter or two to fill a couple of spots in the camp. The outfit I am booking with gives big discounts for the daily rates if you have several hunters as opposed to hunting 1X1. For example, with three hunters the daily rate is $230 per person while at 1X1 the rate is $320.

Plan to hunt for 8-10 days,but have some flexibility with the dates. Can go either late in August or the first part of the month unless someone beats us to the booking.

This is a great oportunity for anyone but especially good for a first timer who may be a bit apprehensive about going alone. I have hunted here before and can help with all the details.Contact me with questions at [email protected] - More reliable than pm's....eyedoc

27-Apr-10
Could you let us know who the outfit is?

27-Apr-10
What is the cost to fly out there.

28-Apr-10
I would like to know more about this hunt. Like what it would cost to fly, how much for a license. How many hunters alltogether. Any info would be appreciated thank,s

jer bear.

28-Apr-10
The outfit I am hunting with is Makalaan Safaris. They have a website and all costs and trophy fees are posted on the site. www.makalaan-safaris.com/

The cost to fly there is ussually a bit over two thousand dollars.

You do not buy a license to hunt in Namibia you only pay trophy fees on the animals that you shoot.I want to hunt three or four hunters to get the best price on the daily .I have one person besides me committed so I need one or two more.

Will post photos of some animals I have taken on previous hunts at Makalaan.

28-Apr-10

eyedoc's embedded Photo
eyedoc's embedded Photo

28-Apr-10

eyedoc's embedded Photo
eyedoc's embedded Photo

28-Apr-10

eyedoc's embedded Photo
eyedoc's embedded Photo

28-Apr-10

eyedoc's embedded Photo
eyedoc's embedded Photo

28-Apr-10

eyedoc's embedded Photo
eyedoc's embedded Photo

28-Apr-10
This place also produces great warthog, wildebeast,hartebeast, impala,and waterbuck.

Please ask if any other details are needed.I want to get this hunt booked while the good dates are still available.Would like to hunt around the dark of the moon in early August.

28-Apr-10

spinedoc's embedded Photo
spinedoc's embedded Photo
Mike,

Back to Makalaan! how many kudu/gemsbok/eland can one man shoot?

For anyone interested, it is a great place, Antonie and his crew are wonderful and you'll have a great time. Matter of fact, if you'll have me, I'd like to see if I can get there myself. Give me the info Mike!

Eric

28-Apr-10
Doc,

I need to send your dvd's back to you. I'll email you.

28-Apr-10
It sounds like anyone that goes will be in good hands in the event of a mishap, with two doctors in the group!

29-Apr-10
eyedoc

If I wasn't going to NZ I would go in a second. The booking agent I used in 04 when I went to Africa also books with this PH in Namibia. Based on my 04 expierence in I know they book good PH, I am jealous.

29-Apr-10
bghunter-The only reason I am not going this summer is because I am hunting buffalo in Australia.This work gig sure gets in the way of my hunting.LOL

Seriously,I know that August 2011 seems like a long way off but to get the best dates, and find an opening in the schedule you have to book that far ahead.

Have been contacted by several folks so I expect I will have no problems getting these spots filled. However I will hold spots until deposits are confirmed with the booking agent or outfitter. Nobody is officially in until deposits are paid.

30-Apr-10
Lucky you on the Australia Trip I hope to one day make it there for those.

04-May-10
bghunter- Sent a response to your pm.If you are having trouble getting to me send an e-mail. [email protected] Want to help with your questions if I can.

04-May-10
What the he!! Doc, couldn't find a bigger eland.

LOL! ...nice!

04-May-10
Eyedoc I sent you a pm earlier today, let me know if you get it.

05-May-10
Hollywood- I shot that sucker stalking with Antonie and a bushman named Fritz. We stalked into a herd early one morning and this guy crossed a lane 44 yards in front of me. (Antonie ranged him as I drew my bow.) He was quartering away and the arrow struck him just behind the last rib and dissapeared into the body cavity. When he was butchered the arrow was completely encased in the chest cavity. Nearly three feet of arrow all inside the ribcage. The color in this photo has not held up so well going from camera to computer to bowsite, but the old guy was very blue tinged and the ruff somewhere between chocolate and black.

Also when shot this guy ran a short ways and stopped.The rest of the herd continuued feeding and a second bull came open. Never one to pass an opportunity I stuck hin too. The second bull was younger and has longer horns but not the mass or the character of this fellow.

05-May-10
I've got a 30" with 15 1/2" bases and yours looks way bigger than mine.

Last trip over, some biltong hunters killed a young eland bull on the ranch where we were that was 41" long, but only 10" bases!!!!

Congratulations on a great trophy.

06-May-10

drwes's embedded Photo
drwes's embedded Photo
I was with eyedoc at Makalaan when I shot this bruiser, sorry about the quality of picture,, It was dark when we were trying to get pictures,,, Africa Dark!

06-May-10

drwes's embedded Photo
drwes's embedded Photo
weighted right at 1800 pounds,,,he should arrive first of the week with the rest of the animals,, I can't wait to put the tape back on him and see what he measures post taxidermy,,I am scheduled to return for my third trip to Makalaan in 2011,, it won't get here fast enough

06-May-10

drwes's embedded Photo
drwes's embedded Photo
This mount should arrive with my eland as well, shot at Makalaan with eyedoc as well

06-May-10

drwes's embedded Photo
drwes's embedded Photo
eyedoc and I were sitting a pit blind one evening, he got this gemsbok an hour before I shot the Eland,, we had over 20 girafee water the same afternoon,, we had already both shot a girafee that week. Exceptional game and facilities and fine food and friends as we say

06-May-10
my spell check didn't help me on spelling giraffe

06-May-10

drwes's embedded Photo
drwes's embedded Photo
another typical Makalaan animal

06-May-10
Now if you were talking 2012......

17-May-10
Got two hunters signed on for 12 days early in August and 1 hunter that wants to go later in the month for 10 days. Looks like I may be taking both hunts so I have room for one more in the first hunt and two in the second.

17-May-10
Mike, my wife and I are booked at Makalaan 8/24 thru 9/2. What dates will you be there?

Have never been there before....sure sounds like a great place.

17-May-10
I will be there for most of the month of August of 2011.Are you going this August or in 2011? You guys will have a great time.The hunting is fantastic and Antonie and Melinda are just real fine salt of the earth kind of people.Does your wife hunt with you also?

18-May-10
Mike, that’s for 2011. Will be only my second time in Africa…so I’ve still got quite a bit to learn. Wife does not hunt…that would really get expensive. :)

18-May-10
Right now it is looking like I will be in Namibia from about July 25 through the month of August.I quite likely will get to see you briefly but plan to be hunting dangerous game during most of the time you are hunting at Makalaan.

I have verbal commitments for all the spots in the first hunt (July 25-Aug.5) but have one opening for Aug.8-19 hunt.I will be there for both hunts.Deposits should start going to the agent soon and then we will find out who is truly committed.I understand that you have some buddies who may go but are hesitant to pull the trigger, so you know what I mean.

I am sooo looking forward to getting back to Africa.

• Sitka Gear