badlander 05-May-10
Matt 05-May-10
StickFlicker 05-May-10
delmag1942 05-May-10
Bou'bound 05-May-10
bill brown 05-May-10
Bill in MI 05-May-10
03-May-10
I was working on shaking out some of my gear for my July trip and got to wondering, are there any issues with bringing a rangefinder in your carry on luggage?

Curious about if there will be issues with the laser?

Figured those in the know here would be able to answer!

03-May-10
Never had a problem, most times I carry 2 on.

03-May-10
I Always carry mine on, never even been questioned about it.

Jim

03-May-10
I been questioned with mine, but it has never been an issue. Even had a guy pull mine out of the case and try it!

03-May-10
always carried my range finder, Binos and camera in my carry on ... never an issue!

03-May-10
Have travelled by air with rangefinder in my carry-on, both in US and internationally. Never had a problem.

I HAVE been questioned as to what it was...

Pete

03-May-10
"always carried my range finder, Binos and camera in my carry on ... never an issue!"

Dito....

03-May-10
Just got back and carried my Binos and my range finder no questions..no problems

03-May-10
I've also had zero problems with my rangefinder or binos....while traveling in the US, Canada and Africa.

03-May-10
All my electronics and optics go with me in carry on in my backpack. Never been an issue. Be prepared to have your bag gone through though.

An elk grunt tube was pretty interesting once on a bag search though. Holding it by the bell and flopping it all around. "What the heck is this?" Grunt tube. "Huh?" You use it with a mouth diaphragm. "I don't want to know any more...."

03-May-10
Thanks for the input everyone.

I just need for this trip to get here so I can stop worrying about stuff like this!!!

03-May-10
When possible, I carry on air pressure has less chance to stress rubber seals on the optics. My understanding is the belly of the plane is not pressurized.

03-May-10
Yeah, my optics and electronics (gps, rangefinder, camera, chargers), tags, and release travel on my carry on. No probs ever.

Bill in MI

03-May-10
Most commercial airlines have the cargo hold pressurized.

03-May-10
I carried on a trail camera the last trip to Africa, and I can't believe that nobody ever showed the slightest bit of interest in my carrying something with batteries, curly wires and a timing device. It couldn't have looked more like a bomb on the scanning screen, I would think, but nobody ever even asked me to open the bag. No problems with range finder either.

03-May-10
Had my GPS and rangefinder in a carry-on to Texas a few months ago. Forgot to get them out of my pack and they saw them on their screen. Pulled them both out and scanned them with a hand-held device for a few minutes and questioned about them. I told them what they were, and they seemed ok with it. Let me have em back and told me to remove them from my pack next time.

03-May-10
bijibber is correct modern planes it's easier to pressurize the entire plane than to just seal off the passenger cabin and pressurize it. Crew members sometimes work in below deck areas and the cargo is sometimes live animals or delicate things that cannot be frozen, etc.

TSA is trained to connect and go after "organic" in combination with wires, timers and items that could be detonators. There are so many electronic devices in use today it is a RARE bag that doesn't have some electronic in it. You'd have to get to the airport 6 hours early to check everything.

If you combine few of these your carryon likely will be searched. Well, in theory anyway. One note: Meat shows up as an "organic" similar to plastic explosive. Traveling with meat and all those electronics usually gets the bag searched.

Although a few times I slid right through with all those things that should have set off someones internal alarms. Personally I think it was cuz I have a nice smile.

05-May-10
Stickflicker - thats pretty funny about the trail camera, I would sure think a stack of D cell batteries and the rest in a nice compact box would look interesting under the xray.

I will have a camera, video camera, rangefinder, cell phone, an Ipod, and all associated chargers etc... in my carry on. Getting the bag inspected doesn't bother me, so long as they dont take me in the back room with a set of rubber gloves!

If they do, I know what the first picture will be in the "my trip to africa" post that the guy I am going with will put up here!

05-May-10
"I carried on a trail camera the last trip to Africa, and I can't believe that nobody ever showed the slightest bit of interest in my carrying something with batteries, curly wires and a timing device."

With nothing attached that looks like explosives, it shouldn't.

05-May-10
I carried on a trail camera the last trip to Africa, and I can't believe that nobody ever showed the slightest bit of interest in my carrying something with batteries, curly wires and a timing device. It couldn't have looked more like a bomb on the scanning screen, I would think, but nobody ever even asked me to open the bag. No problems with range finder either.

05-May-10
I put any optics that fit, ie rangefinder.GRPS in my gun case. It is "indestructable" and if my gun is damaged/lost, the rangefinder does me no good.

05-May-10
they may do you no good, but better they not be lost even if the gun does not show up. you still want your property right? I think any optics, photography stuff, cameras, etc should go with us as carry on so it is never out of our control.

05-May-10
Can't get lost and can't get destroyed by baggage handlers. Yeah, carry on anything important that you can. I have had fishing reels destroyed when the were packed in boxes and padded. One time, they even totally destroyed my rod case. One guy, on a trip to Winnipeg, had his gear shipped to Sydney, Australia.

05-May-10
My friend had a set of Steiner binos stolen out of a checked bag. The small, easy to pocket, items of value are the items of concern to me, a gun will make it thru unless misrouted.

Bill in MI

• Sitka Gear