milnrick 28-Jan-11
Butternut40 28-Jan-11
BowNFly 28-Jan-11
lewis 29-Jan-11
Rick M 30-Jan-11
tramper 30-Jan-11
Boris 31-Jan-11
03-Jan-11
It was 1984, I bought a MKM (I think that was the brand), all wood platform just a bit bigger than my boots, slotted band metal loop went around tree and snap locked into place on each side. Rubber straps for your boots. I just grabbed tree and shimmied right up. No safety harness, often no bow hooks or seat either. Many a time it slipped on me and somehow I never fell to my death or full paralisis. After some time, I did wisen up and get a simple belt harness at least. I was 20 yrs old and could climb like a monkey. If I tried that now - my herniated disks would explode and blow out my scentblocker fleece for sure. No more climbers for me - all lock ons or ladder stands... I suppose they are much more advanced now, that even someone with bad back and 15 lbs overweight could manage? I also recall my old hunting partner having this clanky old "Baker" which you could hear climbing the tree from 3 states away. Anyone have either of these archaic brands of climbers back in the day? What did you use as your first climbers?

03-Jan-11
I began with an Ammacker Deer Thief. Heavy as a truck and had enough wing-nuts to hang a fender on an old Chevy, just to attach the blades to the back of the tree. The hand climber had metal seat...attached with MORE wing-nuts.

Thank god for Lone Wolf.

03-Jan-11
BAKER,Darn thing about killed me when the wingnut came off 15 ft up a tree

03-Jan-11
BAKER,Darn thing about killed me when the wingnut came off 15 ft up a tree

03-Jan-11
Baker, I made it down 22 feet in 1.27 seconds when I was only 11 years old!!!

03-Jan-11
In 1976 I used the old Baker with the plywood platform.I sat on the wooden platform as it was too scary to stand.No safety belt used whatsoever.Now I look back and think of how naive and stupid that was.I never did fall from the stand but the first day I used the stand I was climbing a wet slick barked tree during a rain storm.Got up about 10 or 12 feet and was just hugging the tree with my arms to pull myself up.Once when I straightened my legs the stand didnt grab I slid down the tree 2 or 3 feet.I was still hugging the tree but it did a number on my chest.Made me sore as could be and bruised my chest.I moved later in the day to another tree and climbed up again despite being real sore.Killed my first buck later that day at around 4 pm.As I recall the date was Oct.9th,1976 and I was 17 years old.It was the first deer I ever shot at.I gave that old stand to my nephew and I think it is still hanging in his fathers garage though it hasnt been used in years.

03-Jan-11
Baker, thank god for technology and that thing is gone!

Wingnuts! Ugh!

03-Jan-11
Baker mighty might then the slim jim then i had one of those with a steel band that went around the tree.I think the last stand was made in Manitowoc Wisconsin the company also made bows and I still have both the tree stand and one of there bows.I also think its great to have a Lone wolf.

03-Jan-11
My first one was a Warren & Sweat. I couldn't afford the Amacker models....they were too first class for me. It is something to think back how we used those stands and didn't kill ourselves.

03-Jan-11
First one I owned was a Loggy, and it was the second biggest POS stand I've used. Borrowed a Baker prior to that....the biggest. Todays Summit's look nice, but I've known several who've broken the welds and got hurt as a matter of consequence.

03-Jan-11
standard size baker for me too. i cut out in that thing so many times, its a miracale i'm still alive... i was the kid in the back of the archery shop that made your arrows. i can still remember, made $.05 a piece per arrow and once cashed in on a baker treestand for $27. got it wholesale...8^)....actually,bakers was the only climbers i owned until a few years ago and bought a lw... i still have a baker mighty mite at home.

03-Jan-11
Profane tree stand,which was the early Baker,around 1976 or 1977.

03-Jan-11
My first climber was a Loggy Bayou. Saw Ben Lee in a video years ago with one on his back and figured if it held him it would hold me. It did and still does. Love it, I especially like the way it ratchet straps to the tree once at elevation. I've tried others and still won't give up my LB.

03-Jan-11
Started off with a Baker but then got real hi-tech and bought a TSS. Those were the days

03-Jan-11
tss

03-Jan-11
Jack - for many years I used the same stand that you described, but the manufacturer was TSS. I shimmied up many a tree with it too. I started out with no safety harness, but soon started using a safety belt. Used that setup for many a year. I can only remember one 'slip' with that stand, and I think it was only around 2 feet.

03-Jan-11
Built a Baker-style in '83 and it worked great for years.

03-Jan-11
i also started with a tss, i can remember my first hunt with it. an older hunter laughed at me because i didnt paint the bright shiny plywood. also if the tree was wet, when i wanted to come down, i could hug the tree, and angle the platform, and slide down the tree like a fireman comming down a pole!

03-Jan-11

pirogue's embedded Photo
pirogue's embedded Photo
Trad Tech, Is this it? This is an Amacker, but I don't remember the model. I probably got it in the early 80's. We still use it every year, and in fact, it has stayed on this same tree for several years and not been brought in. Not comfortable, but durable and productive.

03-Jan-11
The first time I used a climbing stand was 1983, it was a Baker that I borrowed from a friend. The freedom to scoot up trees was awesome, but that stand was a death trap. I soon bought a TSS Intruder and loved it. I had it modified with a homemade fold up seat and thought it was the best(unsafe as hell though). I now use a Louggy Bayou when I still feel old school and want to hug the tree and climb or a Summit two piece when I want to settle in to what is like a couch up in a tree. Things have come a long way in comfort but especially in safety.

03-Jan-11
Baker!!!!!! Numerous times slid down. One hell of a stand! Only thing worse was the roller coaster at Palisades Park.

03-Jan-11
Baker first. Then something called a Fox Squirrel. Like many others here...lucky to be alive. All of the arguements about LW vs. Summit would never happen if half the folks had used some of the earlier climbers.

03-Jan-11
Scary Ol' Baker here, too. I never took the "Baker Slide", but did have the platform get away from me once thirty feet up and watched as it proceded down the tree about a foot at a time, all the way to the ground, while I hung from the seat section/hand climber.

My son was learning to use it and demonstrating it to my nephew on the telephone pole in our front yard a few years later, and did the slide thing down the pole about eight feet, then the hand climber followed and tapped him on the head. My nephew still cracks up telling about it.

They were entertaining and educational.

Sure makes me more appreciative of my Summit.

03-Jan-11
Baker "Widowmaker". Did the slide a few times and then it went in the fire pit. Bought a Loggy Bayou and now use a LW. No need to change again any time soon.

03-Jan-11
Guess I started with a climber later than most with a summit viper.

03-Jan-11
Oooohhh, bad flash back. I had a couple Bakers. The mightgy mite screws pulled out of the plywood while I was in the top of a ALabama pine tree.

Thr full size one slid on my several times but my worst experience was practicing in the back yard on a telephone pole. When preparing to descend putting my feet in the straps it kicked out and I slid to the bottom with one arm wrapped around the pole.

I'm here to say creosote splinters last a long time and are difficult to get out.

04-Jan-11
TSS. That bear hugging took its toll on me. Evolved into enjoying the sit and climb of API,then Summit Viper. Still have an extra metal band for thr TSS.

04-Jan-11
I had one of those old plywood climbers as a kid. One time I was hunting on a raw drizzly day, when after sunset the temp dropped just enough to create a layer of ice on every tree and branch. When I went to descend in an instant I was at the bottom of the tree. When I came to my senses and realized what had just happened I looked up to see my steel seat/climber part still up in the tree. I bent down to take my feet out of the bungee cords when I heard a noise above me. I looked up and here comes the seat, I had no time to react with my hands on the bungee cords. The seat grabbed hold of the tree and stopped it's rapid decent about a foot above my head. It took me close to 15 years to try another climber after that.

04-Jan-11
First one was homemade. 3/4 plywood and 1" square tubing. My brother and I used them for years. Finally could afford a summit saber. Heaven!

04-Jan-11
Like others above first was a Baker and then moved up to a TSS. Baker was a death trap but I never had a problem with the TSS. It was much more solid in the tree. I still use it occasionally, but am starting to get to old for that hugging the tree method of climbing. Treestands have come a long way!

04-Jan-11
Baker, too many years ago to remember, it amazes me, the number of old bakers I've found hanging high up in trees just left there! makes you wonder what happened to the hunter? must have used climbing sticks no bones found under the tree!

04-Jan-11
My first climber was a Baker. I can't believe that I am stil alive!! Between the sliding down the tree thing, the no harness thing, or the, I'm going to hunt one of my prepositioned stands. (A 2" X8" board with spikes in it wedged in the crotch of a tree, spikes pounded in the tree for a ladder.) I'm surprised I still have the use of my limbs. Thank you technology!!

Jay

04-Jan-11
TSS and it was a POS

04-Jan-11
Back yard of Rupe's house! Can you say loud!!

04-Jan-11
Baker slim jim. I rode that dude down one predawn. Yikes! that thing was an adventure. I still own a baker Mighty Mite. A friend (I think) bought for me for having helped roof his house back in the day. I killed deer from both. MO

04-Jan-11
Wow. It is amazing that I can look back fondly at my first ride in my buddies Baker. It was amazaing to just shimmy up the tree.

Like everyone else, I also shimmied real fast down a few trees...

It is good that tree stands have made some progress.

04-Jan-11
Baker. My first and last climber. Was very unnerving to have to sit with weight on your feet so the platform would not fall to the ground. Did some long slides on smooth bark trees.

My buddy had one too, had the platform fall 30 feet and left him sitting on the seat. Luckily he could climb like a monkey and he shimmied down the tree.

Crazy that we did not die in those stands! I threw mine in the garbage after a year and got a Loc-On.

04-Jan-11
As fickle as the old Baker Stands were, we owe him a great big thank you.

I believe they were the first portable climber. If not, then they were the brand that began the revolution/evolution of climbing stands.

My first climber was home made, copied from the Baker.

Difference between the two, the angle of the "arms" were lower amd the support brace's shorter, thus allowing for greater stability and bite into the tree.

Never, ever, had it slip, slide, or fail in any manner!

A climber was a decided avantage over hanging a stand for me during those early years. Beat the heck out of hauling lumber and nails.

Yep, those were the "good old day's".

04-Jan-11
pirogue, that's mine. In fact, I used it this past weekend. It's been a good'un.

04-Jan-11
Still use my Trailhawk for quick hunts. Very similar to the Baker style.

04-Jan-11
AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

B

A

K

E

R

Holy Crap!! Im not dead!! wooooohoooo!!

04-Jan-11
Baker still hanging in my building. Showed it to my brother in law when i got it home by climbing a telephone pole.Remnants of tar and oak splinters still in my chest. i learned to never climb a beech tree that day. I never did have the hand climber. stupid me

04-Jan-11
Ok I'm pretty sure it must have been a TSS I had way back then,and I can concur that wet, smooth barked maples were quite a thrill ride down - especially when unplanned. Thank you lord for allowing me to survive and not be crippled! I did take my first 3 bow kills out of it though, back then at age 20 - no big deal to hike in a mile with that stand in one hand, bow in the other, shimmy up a tree, shoot a NJ 6 point buck, gut it, and drag, bow, stand and deer back across a river, through a swamp, and make the truck by dark.. I cannot even imagine doing that now.. (plus I've learned over the years that long walks through bedding areas are not conducive to harvesting mature whitetails...)

04-Jan-11
Prothrone. It was before the Baker and looked just like one. My wife ordered me one and had it sent to my parents in order to surprise me. My wife had not said anything to my mother about the order, so the first time we were home after the stand arrived, mother wanted to know if we had ordered a stand to hold up our Christmas tree. Oh well! When we went out for me to try it out, what a rodeo, I laughed so hard that my stomach muscles were sore. I'm sure I had more cases of poison ivy from using that stand than I killed deer from it.

04-Jan-11
Baker in the 70's, MKM in 80's....since API. yeah they have changed....for the better.

04-Jan-11
pirogue - Yup! That's the one!

04-Jan-11
BAKER: Used it for years with only a slight loss of skin on chest and chin. (More then once)

04-Jan-11
Dad started me with a Baker 25 years ago and what might have been one of the earliest safety harnesses. Dad rigged the harness up for me out of the seatbelts from our '72 Ford Galaxy 500's backseat. I killed a bunch of deer off that Baker and used that make-shift harness for years. Good memories!!! Pete

04-Jan-11
Fox Squirrel....can't believe no one else mentioned those yet. Is that a geographical or generational thing?

04-Jan-11
YES jack that was the brand i had it was an MTH and yes i fell several times to the ground in the thing. Luckily i was 14 at the time so i was made of rubber.

04-Jan-11
Tree lounge, heavy and when you stood on the bowhunters platform you were bobing about 3 ft from the tree. Never slipped and as comfortable as a recliner.

04-Jan-11
Started with a Baker then a TSS. Still here to talk to you about it.

05-Jan-11
Same here, started with a Baker mighty mite that almost killed me and then bought a TSS kit. It was one of those things you just add plywood.

05-Jan-11
Original API Grand Slam. The small one not the tree decks they use today lol! I bought it for $179 at the Kempton PA archery show. Changed the chains every now and again but I still use it today and I bought it in 1996.... I think.

05-Jan-11
1) Tree limbs, and standing in notches 2) TSS

05-Jan-11
ok good - others have confirmed it was an MKM and not TSS that I owned, although they sound similar in design... (slotted metal band, some rubber here and there, plywood platform). Glad to know we all been there and survived!! I think the reason we survived is probably because we were expecting the worst - I know it kept me extra alert. When so many hunting accidents that occur are treestand related - I wonder what the number 1 root cause is? Climbing and slipping? Dosing off and falling out while not strapped in? What percentage are actually climer related versus lock on? Perhaps the #1 is the old permanent lumber stands that rot over time?

05-Jan-11
First one used was my dad's Baker. Lost it on the way up a couple of times. Stupid bungee cord slips of of rubber boots too easily. Next was an Amacker Deer Theif 2. Still use it. Nice and small for getting in and out of woods. Also, if someone steals it, who cares.

05-Jan-11
Baker then MKM then Loggy

05-Jan-11
first was a two piece baker,presently ol man

05-Jan-11
Bandit bought in '92 and still useing it, 13 lbs.

05-Jan-11
Baker! I added an extension with angle iron and plywood. What the hell was I thinking? First time i used it I had shorts on, BIG MISTAKE! What did I know then I was a 15 yr. old kid

05-Jan-11

tonyo6302's embedded Photo
tonyo6302's embedded Photo
This is my first climber, a Warren and Sweat.

I purchased it in July 1991. I made a bow holder out of Oak, and screwed it into the front left of the stand ( front right as looking at the photo) .

I killed a deer out of it just last year, and that old stand has seen a lot of bloodshed in the past 20. I don't use it much anymore, but when I do, I use it for short hunts only, and leave it attached to a tree for a few days. No one will steal it anyway.

My arse has all but rubbed away the "Warren and Sweat" logo on the seat !

It is pictured with the original waist strap that came with it. Of course I do not use that suffocating waist strap anymore, and use a 4 point harness instead.

It's a wonder some of us are alive, isn't it ! Bowhunter/Treestand safety has come a long way in 20 years.

Tony

06-Jan-11

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Jack, Stagetek and Bowcrazy hit the nail on the head. Fox Squirrel climbing stand, I purchased my first stand in the mid 1970s. A wooden platform with a V cut in the back side supported with a few strips of iron. A adjustable steel ban rapped around the tree.

As Jack stated, one hooked their feet in the platform straps, hugged the tree with both arms, then lifted their legs up with the stand come with them, maybe a foot at a time. Sort of like a squirrel going up and then down.

Later I use a metal bar that hooked to both ends of rubber conveyer belt strap that went around the back side of the tree. When one gripped both ends of the bar, the strap became taught, and then one did a pull up thus pulling up the body and the stand.

Yes, no safety belt and later, the standard waist belt was developed.

Guys were still building wooden platforms and nailing boards to the trees. In some states, elevated platforms were illegal like Michigan in the early 1960s.

Climbing and strap on stands have made huge improvement to construction, safety, and comfortability. Many of the "back yard" manufacturers has been eliminated because of safety issues, construction, and pressures of law suits.

While I do the majority of my big game hunting off the ground in Colorado, I do enjoy the advantage of a good elevated platform. I took advantage of a elevated stand this year in Nebraska with good results.

27-Jan-11
My first was a Baker Maxie. I had to hug the tree going up and down. My sternum became numb from sliding down the tree, In Maryland it's not unusual to climb trees mostly covered with ice but if you want to hunt you climb it. Even with a baker.. I finally hung from the stand one morning and dropped to the ground. I left the damn thing twelve ft up and waved goodbye.. Then came the TSS Sniper

27-Jan-11
Like many, my first real one was a Baker death trap ut prior to that I had one that some guy made in his garage. Must have weighed 50 pounds and didn't work all that well. Wonder I survived.

27-Jan-11
Stood on tree limbs at first or a v board in a tree crotch. Did you say safety belt? Never even saw one for sale. Then moved up to the Baker, what an amazing invention but it was about 40 pounds and sliding down the tree was a regular occurance. The stands now are fantastic but the Baker got it started! Charlie

27-Jan-11
Home made, talk about taking some free rides.My first adventure was 1975, it was a 22 foot drop and i swear there was bark under my fingernails for the next two years. My cousin came up with the first invention, but, would not use it. He re-assured me it would work famously.

27-Jan-11
I just finished my second year with a Summit Viper I bought from a friend for 175. Its the first and only climber I've owned in almost 30 years of bowhunting. I use it about half of the time that I hunt. The other half I am in an alpha w/ climbing sticks. Before that setup I used a Vantage Point and screw ins.

28-Jan-11
Mine was a loud annoying api bowhunter.Thing clanked around no matter what i did.

28-Jan-11
We used to weld our own Baker types in shop class at High School in the mid 70's. The only problem I had with them, was using a 3/4" oak board for the platform. DO NOT DO THIS!!!! It split in half while up in the tree. I slid down about 2 feet and it caught again. Of coarse, I stayed in it that morning. But, I got some 1/2" plywood and put on it when I got home. I used them until the early 90's, then bought a Loggy Byough, and that I still use.

28-Jan-11
Jack, My first climber was one of those Bakers. When the bottom rotted out I replaced the board, at least twice. I can't believe I used to hug the tree and climb until my haul line was tight (20') and sit like a locust hull on the side of a tree like that. I count myself fortunate to have survived those days!

My next climber didn't come for nearly 25 years. I bought a Summit climber. With the hand climbing tool (no tree-hugging) this is much easier to use and very comfortable and secure once your up and in.

I rarely use a climber though. Most of the trees I hunt from are very limby because I like edge and fencerows. I use the Summit every 2-3 years in special situations. If I were buying a climber today though I'd get one that folks flat on the back so one can wear a backpack on top of it. My Summit (I think it is a Viper) is quite bulky on the back.

28-Jan-11
the first Baker models, back in the 50's really fast going up, trouble was it was faster coming down!

28-Jan-11
My first climber was made out of extruded aluminum, at the Shaw AFB (SC) welding shop after a friend of ours Harroll drew up some diagrams of what we wanted to do. I think he took the original idea from either a Popular Mechanic's or Field and Stream Magazine's HOW TO section.

We had all weld points undergoe NDI (non destructive inspection - X-rayed) to make sure the welds were secure. Had them all painted at the 'paint barn' in OD-Green.

First store bought stand was an 'apache ladder'.

28-Jan-11
Can't remember the name but it was one of the first summits. Not very good. Borrowed it to a friend for bear hunting and he slid down the tree. Gave it to my nephew. He got rid of it. It had the steel v groove compared to the cable nowadays. I now have one of the new Summits and love it.

28-Jan-11
Funny Jack, disks popppin through your Scentlock! TSS for me, humping the tree up and standing there 8 hours at a clip. I finally got a strap to lean out a bit to shoot the deer right under me.

Now - I just don't relax or have fun without my Safety Strap on. I think I just got older writing this :(

29-Jan-11
Baker and I found it last yr.in the warehouse.Lewis

30-Jan-11
Baker. I should have been alot more scared than I was in that thing. Did a little tree surfing a few times! I could almost "walk" that thing down a tree just by shifting my wieght from side to side.

30-Jan-11
Baker, and never had a major problem...like sliding down the tree, losing wing nuts. What I hated was not being able to put your weight out to the sides of the platform. Yikes, took my breath away many times.

31-Jan-11
Man, wasn't that the good old days. Isn't it funny how we laughed at the oldtimers at hunting camp when they talked about hunting when they where young. An the stupid things they did.

• Sitka Gear