Scotty C 22-Mar-11
Scotty C 22-Mar-11
LKH 22-Mar-11
Snakeeater 23-Mar-11
Scotty C 24-Mar-11
Scotty C 24-Mar-11
Scotty C 24-Mar-11
22-Mar-11
I have been thinking of opening my own archery range(indoor or outdoor not sure yet). After this winter i've been kicking myself for not getting out more and shooting. The closest good range is about 50 miles away Not sure where to look on regulations for owning my own. can anyone point me in the right direction or throw out some advice on what you can and can't do?

22-Mar-11
Start with your local ordinances first. If there's no problem there, you're only limited by your $, typography, and imagination.

22-Mar-11
talk to the insurance agent and that will help make your decision

22-Mar-11
If you live in a colder climate, you need to look at how many folks you estimate would use your facility and how much they would pay to use it. If that wouldn't cover the cost of heating, electricity, water, targetage, insurance, etc, you won't last long.

The range I shoot at, they charge $8.00 indoors, $7.00 to shoot the outdoors bag targetsand $10.00 to shoot the 20 target outdoor 3D course.

With our indoor 3D league, it's $25 to sign up and $15 per shoot. This covers target inserts and prizes also. He doesn't make much on it.

Good luck. Jay

22-Mar-11
I was paying $7 a pop to shoot at the local archery shop. It was only about 5 lanes wide and 20 yards long. Then I found a local outdoor range. It's $150 for the year, $2 if you want to shoot the once a month club shoots, 3-D league is $5 per week. I believe it is a non-profit. once a month members are asked to do clean-up, target replacement, mowing, etc. For every work event you attend they knock $10 off of your next years membership dues. Every member is given a combination to the premises and it's open 365days. I'm sure if you gave them a call they'd give you info on setting something up in your area. It's called Maya Archers. I know some of the officers are Bowsiters.

22-Mar-11
Listen to JayG. What you are talking about doing is starting a business and there is a lot to learn about starting a business, insurance and upfront costs are only part of it.

22-Mar-11
If you need some ideas for targets you can PM me. Made my on with garage door track, cardboard layers with shrink wrap behind. Could stop crossbow bolts and any fast bow!! My advice is be careful opening a range or archery shop. If there j's a Cabelas nearby you won't sell many products. The range would be good but you will never get enough shooters to have a good money maker. I had an 8,000 sq ft shop. Range was up to 30 yards vey spacious. My prices were even better than cabelas but when they built the cabelas 40 minutes away things went downhill.. You can't replace the cabelas experience with a local pro shop. I have been setting up bows for a long time but many bowhunters don't care if it's cabelas tying on a D loop or someone who has been doing it for years. I don't have any hard feelings about closing my shop. It was only part time and now I can hunt more. We had a pro shop in the area that was one of the leading Hoyt retailers and he even closed. I have to admit I myslf. I live going to cabelas it's awesome. Like I said pm me if you wanna see some pics of a good backstop. I postdoctoral pics on here once before if you do a search on homemade targts you should find something

22-Mar-11
Sorry about the typos. Fingers too big for iPhone

22-Mar-11
The real question is the same as for ranching as a newcomer:

How much money do you have to lose?

23-Mar-11
Scotty C,

Using the iPhone, eh....that would explain your "postdoctoral pics". :)

Snakeeater

24-Mar-11
Snakeeater: How about it!! Damn phone comes up with its own language somtimes lol!!

Scotty C

24-Mar-11

Scotty C's embedded Photo
Scotty C's embedded Photo
Here is a pic of our backstop.

24-Mar-11
I sold the target to another pro shop in the area.

That cardboard is only 8 inches wide. It is 4x4 and that is angle iron from home depot that people use to hang garage door openers. The cardboard was cut with a circular saw (18v) and placed in the track. Behind the cardboard was about a place to put shrink wrap. It was an empty box (plywood sides and back) the size of the target face and 24 inches deep. There is no back rail holding the cardboard down just a piece of plywood 8 inches by 4 feet to snug up the fit. Target would not wear like compressed cardboard. Cardboard moved to let arrow slip in. Would stop anything. I used this system for two years without changing cardboard and the new proshop has had the same cardboard up for 4 years.

• Sitka Gear