Mathews Man 01-Apr-11
Alpinehunter 01-Apr-11
rvrbtmarcher 01-Apr-11
Mathews Man 02-Apr-11
BTW 02-Apr-11
ScruffmanII 02-Apr-11
Alpinehunter 03-Apr-11
31-Mar-11
I am getting ready to purchase my PP for Colorado. Do I need to purchase the habitat stamp for it too? I don't remember if I did the previous years.

Thanks

31-Mar-11
I believe it automatically puts it on you App this year if you are doing it online.

31-Mar-11
Yeah, that is what is throwing me off, I went back and looked at my old records and didn't see that I purchased one. I tried to remove it, but it wouldn't let me.

31-Mar-11
Also, do you get charged the $25 if you applied for a tag last year, even though I didn't draw it?

31-Mar-11
page 11 of the regs explains when the $25 fee comes in to play. answer is 'it depends if you had other hunt/fish activities'. If no, then you are paying $25 per species per preference point.

For guys who put in for 'everything' in Colorado and rarely draw, it would be cheaper to buy a fishing license which would allow you to skip the $25 fees...

31-Mar-11
If you put in for a preference point last year or hunted last year you do not have to buy a habitat stamp, Page 11

31-Mar-11
If you are applying for multiple species does it just charge you for the stamp on the first application only?

31-Mar-11
They will charge you for habitat stamp on the first app and only that app. The Habitat stamp nor the app fee are refundable.

31-Mar-11
I called yesterday about this. They told me to purchase my habitat stamp online. That way it would be in the system when the applications go thru.

31-Mar-11
OK, I was just wondering because I have to snail mail my sheep application seperately. I'll also probably snail mail all my applications. I guess I just pick one and check the box, including the fee, for just one of them.

It doesn't say anywhere in the regulations.

31-Mar-11
No way I'd snail-mail deer/elk/pronghorn/bear apps to CO, especially this late. But that's me. It's plenty enough risk and worry for me, having to mail in the sheep/goat/moose. I always send those three by Certified Mail so I can track/prove their arrival if needed.

Just buy your "Habitat Stamp Validation" on line for $10.00, then your all done with that part. You can then proceed to apply immediately for all the available species on-line without having to worry about Habitat Stamps. They'll actually mail you the "stamp" in the usual blue-foldup license format for your records (and to keep with your license if you draw one).

31-Mar-11
what about for kids? I bought my kid a point and didn't see where they added the habitat stamp, was this right?

31-Mar-11
because we put in for a draw unit, we do not purchase the stamp until we know we are successful.

31-Mar-11
On a related note, I took advantage of the last day of $200 lifetime habitat stamp today. Tomorrow it is $300.

01-Apr-11
I was under the impression that you are required to buy the habit stamp just to apply, preferpernce point or draw..... not whether or not you see if you get a draw tag.

01-Apr-11
Flyingbrass Youth and seniors are not requried to puchase the habitat stamp. Quote from page #1 of the Big Game Regulations: "Anyone 18 - 64 MUST purchase a stamp prior to buying or applying for a hunting or fishing license."

Also FYI, the $25 preference point fee is also waived for youths. (from page #11 of regs)

GDx Frankie is correct. You MUST purchase the habitat stamp prior to applying as stated in my quote above. If you mailed your application in, you might want to get ont he phone with DOW or at least buy one on-line before your application arrives in Denver.

01-Apr-11
Can't you just check the box on the app including the $10.00 for the stamp or do you have to buy a stamp prior to applying.

01-Apr-11
The DNR guy told me to either buy it on line or include it with each application and they would refund the difference if you bought more than one.

If you send in multiple applications and only include it with one, they have no idea if you bought one or not if they open another one first.

For example you send it with your sheep, but not with deer or elk. Someone different may open your deer application and if it isn't marked and paid and it isn't in the computer your application may get rejected.

01-Apr-11
Its difficult to believe that people still mail in their applications.

The online system verifies your codes and informs you if you have done something wrong.

When you mail your applications in, they are scanned in- so if your writing is not that of a third grader, you could have some surprises.

It just seems like more effort to go through the trouble of doing it the old fashioned way, which is more of a risk of messing it up.

01-Apr-11
"so if your writing is not that of a third grader, you could have some surprises."

Well, thank goodness after many years of practice, my writing is NOT like that of a third grader.

01-Apr-11
"Its difficult to believe that people still mail in their applications."

Non-residents have to use paper for sheep, moose, and goats! I wish we didn't, but that is the way it is.

01-Apr-11
Save yourself the worry and: BUY THE HABITAT STAMP ONLINE

You can then do your deer and/or elk and/or bear and/or pronghorn apps on-line, and mail (for NR only) your mtgoat and/or moose and/or sheep apps, knowing your habitat stamp is unquestionably on the books with CDOW.

01-Apr-11
I guess I don't really consider the Non-resident Sheep, Goat and Moose apps- being a resident. Most of those tags have maybe 1 license per unit, perhaps being able to actually follow the directions and complete it correctly is helping your odds a smidge when it kicks some apps out.

01-Apr-11
Some of you smart guys probably know this but, when I applied for a Non-Res Elk pref point online, the checkout screen described my purchase as an antlerless elk license. I was confused so I cancelled the purchase and called the DOW. They told me that this description was normal because they charge the NR antlerless fee ($354) up front for an elk pref point rather than the Bull fee ($554). I guess I'm easily confused but I'm glad that they take a little of the pain out.

01-Apr-11
If I purchase a PP only for deer as a NR when will I get my refund? This is my first year applying for CO and I was just curious?

02-Apr-11
Mid June or sometime after that for deer refund.

There is a tentative draw posting date on the Draw Results page of the website which you can figure you would receive your refund or license within two weeks of that date.

02-Apr-11
if you are only purchasing a pp, the habitat stamp fee of $10 will be automatically added on during checkout. It will be spelled out for you at the checkout screen, so you definitely know it was added in. Total cost was $364. No need to click on any habitat stamp buttons during the process. Just get your point and go to checkout.

02-Apr-11
The system needs work. I mailed in my sheep application with HS fee (NR) I waited for the check to clear and did my deer, bear,antelope today. The system still made me buy a HS when checking out. Next year I'll buy the stamp and then mail in sheep and then do deer etc on line later. It shouldn't be that hard.

03-Apr-11
It's not that big of a deal if you pay for 2 habitat stamps up front due to making multiple applications. They will refund the 10 bucks after the draw. Don't let 10 bucks screw up an $1800 sheep application.

• Sitka Gear