BluegrassHammer 11-Oct-11
Scott Hartley 11-Oct-11
Ziek 12-Oct-11
NM_alazan 12-Oct-11
NM_alazan 12-Oct-11
Scott Hartley 12-Oct-11
GregE 13-Oct-11
11-Oct-11
Why when I drag the cursur to a specific spot on Goggle earth, it gives me lat. and long. numbers. if I put those numbers in search box and hit go to button it takes me to a different place on goggle earth.? I want to put these numbers into GPS so I can find this spot, not get lost. Confused????

11-Oct-11
Buckman you have to use the same format for lat/lon that is used by Google earth.

Google earth uses degrees-minutes-seconds with 2 decimals. The easiest way to avoid problems is to set your gps to use this format. I have a garmin etrex venture. I go to "setup" then "units" then "position format" then select hdd mm'ss.s"

This will allow you enter coordinates off of Google earth and enter them into your gps. I like to zoom in really close before I get the coordinates.

Try this:

Enter this into the fly to search box

30 15'59.59"N 82 45'14.75"W

This should take you to N I75 and E I10 intersection.

After you get your gps to display the format that I described above, go out in your yards somewhere and get the lat/lon. Then plot it on google earth. It should be dead on.

PM me if you need more help.

Good luck

11-Oct-11
You could also change the format in google earth to match what you are using on your GPS. For instance I prefer using UTM rather than lat/long. In google earth go to tools, options, and then under the 3D tab change to which ever system you prefer. My garmin GPS is also set up to use UTM. I prefer UTM because if you buy maps with UTM and have the coordinates from either your GPS or google earth it is a little easier to find the location on the maps since it is a grid system.

11-Oct-11

ElkNut1's Link
Yes, UTM is much easier & works great for ground navigation. USGS Topos 7.5 Min. 1-24000 are the best for hunting & is very easy to switch over on your GPS by going to "setup" or "menu". You can make that change from Lat/Lon on google earth to UTM Grid too. Food for thought!

ElkNut1

11-Oct-11
Not sure what datum Google uses bit you need to make sure that matches your gps as well...

11-Oct-11
+3 UTM

11-Oct-11
UTM or Lat&Long make practically no difference. Both will easily get you to within 10 feet of any destination on earth. The difference is what you are used to and what you prefer. If you can get within 10 feet of your camp and still can't find it, you better just stay at home.

If you have a micro SD card with HuntingGPSmaps.com on it, either system will pin point you right on a map that is on your GPS and lets you see exactly where you are or want to be. Bowsite sponser as well.

I also agree with Scott Hartley in order to make Google compatable with your personal GPS.

11-Oct-11
GE uses geographic (lat/long)/WGS84 coordinates. USGS topo maps are NAD27 datum. The maps have Lat/Long and UTM coordinates. A common mistake is to have your GPS on the same coordinate system as Google Earth, apply that to a USGS topo map and end up in the wrong spot.

Too much to explain here but educate yourself on different projections and datums a bit, it will make a world of difference in your ability to navigate using different sources of information.

11-Oct-11
I agree that UTM is a better standard for hiking/maps. I have not been able to plot UTM Coordinates by entering them manually into Google earth. Has anyone been able to do this? I have no problem importing into google directly from my gps but google rejects the coordinates when entered in "fly to" unless it is lat/lon.

11-Oct-11
Wow thanks alot guys. Very good info.

B-man

11-Oct-11
"..... USGS topo maps are NAD27 datum. "

Nope- newer printings are WGS84- the reference datum is in the margin data.

11-Oct-11
I should have put "most". A bit rare to find a newer printing, but depending on your area you may have some around. My point, make sure all datums are consistent when working in various media forms.

11-Oct-11
Typically the greatest difference between NAD27, and WGS84 is 10 meters. That's normally fine for navigational purposes or am I missing something.

12-Oct-11
From Maptools.com

The Global Positioning System uses an earth centered datum called the World Geodetic System 1984 or WGS 84. WGS 84 was adopted as a world standard from a datum called the North American Datum of 1983 or NAD 83. For all practical purposes there is no difference between WGS 84 and NAD 83.

Most USGS topographic maps are based on an earlier datum called the North American Datum of 1927 or NAD 27. (Some GPS units subdivide this datum into several datums spread over the continent. In the Continental United States use NAD27 CONUS.)

In the Continental United States the difference between WGS 84 and NAD 27 can be as much as 200 meters.

You should always set your GPS unit's datum to match the datum of the map you are using.

On a USGS topographic map the datum information is in the fine print at the bottom left of the map. The datum will always be NAD 27. There may be information on how many meters to shift a position to convert it to NAD 83. Think of this as the error that will be introduced if you leave your GPS unit set to WGS 84. A dashed cross in the SW and NE corners of the map gives a visual indication of the difference between the two datums.

If you have somehow set your GPS to use the Borneo Datum of 1818, it's hard to say how far off you position may be. Let's just sat that this "datum thing" is something you need to pay attention to.

If you are coordinating with aircraft, they will likely have their datum set to WGS 84, as most aviation charts now use WGS 84. Should you worry about the difference in datums? Typically a pilot will not have any difficulty locating you on the ground if you can get them within several hundred meters of your location. If you are engaged in a mission that requires more precision, then your datums should match.

12-Oct-11
Yes, I'm a Land Surveyor and work with datums all the time. I agree with BluegrassHammer and Ziek, the difference between WGS84 and NAD27 can be as much as 200 meters. I've experienced it myself while working with different datums in Colorado.

However, the difference between NAD83 and WGS84 is negligible for navigation and there's no need to switch while working between those 2 datums.

12-Oct-11

NM_alazan's embedded Photo
NM_alazan's embedded Photo
Not all USGS maps are in NAD 27, only the old ones are.

The new ones are NAD 83.

And it's not rare to find a new printing, the entire US should be complete this summer, and many states are complete and available now (and have been for at least a year).

12-Oct-11

NM_alazan's Link
Forgot to mention all USGS maps can be downloaded for free. This includes the new ones and old ones, as well as 15' and half degree maps in addition to the 7.5'.

Click on the link to download.

12-Oct-11
yeah, 200 yards is worth changing your datum setting for. I read some online that 10 yards was max difference but I never verified. Hearing that from a surveyor is good enough for me.

Buckman's problem was most likely a format issue with lat and lon but it nice to know about differences in datums on various maps. Thanks guys, I learned a little to.

13-Oct-11
I've downloaded the free USGS maps at NM_alazan's link too. It's nice if you have access to a large format plotter to plot the maps full size.

There are several companies out there that repackage and sell the USGS data, but it's nice to know you can go straight to the source and get them for free.

13-Oct-11
North American Datum 83 was completed to be incorporated into World Geodetic Survey 84 as part of the worldwide upgrade- they are identical to the user.

Good info in the margins

G

• Sitka Gear