r-man 27-Oct-11
r-man 29-Oct-11
Henry 31-Oct-11
Russ Koon 31-Oct-11
Russ Koon 31-Oct-11
x-man 31-Oct-11
Henry 01-Nov-11
26-Oct-11
is there any other types of heat shrink fletching besides bohning? and where. want 3or4" found bohning on eders.com

26-Oct-11
thanks all for your help.

26-Oct-11
NAP makes some

26-Oct-11
just looked, i think there all heli's or rather they are not straight , truly i prefer straight fletch. But thanks.

26-Oct-11
Just my 2 cents but straight is the worst possible fletching to put on a hunting arrow.

26-Oct-11
why do you prefer straight? I thought that was the worst choice.

27-Oct-11
straight fletch shows all, should there be problem, used to only use right heli. but most companys put to much twist for my taste, and it destroys the flight of my 1 1/2" broadheads (fixed blade) causes wobble. if you have promlems in or rather different flight of feild point to broad head this may be your problem too.

27-Oct-11
Huh??

27-Oct-11
r-man, just trying to help here but in my opinion straight fletch and fixed broadheads don't mix. I think your making a bad choice. Good luck & Regards

27-Oct-11
helical is needed for accuracy. bullets and footballs need spin as well as arrows. but if it works, keep using it.

27-Oct-11
r-man, are you SURE you are not being deceived by an interference issue when using helicals? Maybe not with the rest, but with bus cables, sight housing, etc.?

I've experimented with almost everything over the years in the way of fletching, except some of the newer "instant" products, and have at times had results that questioned the need for spin, except when shooting in a crosswind, but NEVER had poorer BH accuracy using helical than not using it. Nor can I envision any possible reason why the reults would be as you state, except for undetected interference.

Worst case in using moderate helical was sacrificing a few fps downrange for some stabilization that wasn't needed while shooting on relatively calm days and with good form. Extremely little downside in exchange for the added stability when it WAS needed, as it is so often under hunting conditions.

I'm all for "to each his own" and being the maverick when it suits you, but I think in this case the majority opinion is the better one, and you're missing the best bet. Good luck either way.

27-Oct-11
I'm guessing the "wobble" you may be seeing is just an optical illusion caused by the odd colored cock vane. When the arrow spins the odd color makes it LOOK like it wobbles in flight. Your eye picks out the motion of the spinning cock vane. Fletch up an arrow all the same color and it will go away like magic.

There's no way I know of helical will CAUSE a wobble. It may bleed off speed faster, the more offset or helical the more it bleeds off. But would not cause flight problems. In fact it is designed to help correct them.

FBBH normally will plane, even if just a touch. The bigger ones plane more. The helical/offset does two things, spins the arrow so the planing is distributed over 360 degrees instead of continuing on down the path the planing sets. And it adds some extra drag to the arrow tail helping to overcome the broadhead planing.

27-Oct-11
TD maybe its the odd vane, and as for what Spike bull said I'm not sure of the difference. I just dont like supper heli's , I bought huge reserve of 1 1/2" fixed bh's years ago before they stoped making them and 10xed the price, I've never had any problems with broadheads tracking differently than feild points like some others. they do seem to cause slight higher points of impact for me ,but that never bugged me.

29-Oct-11
Spike thankyou, thats sounds like what I'm useing. found some on different site yesterday most do not specifi fletch style, and hate getting what I dont want.No bow shops around for 75mls so i order every thing, so i cant just go look at shop have to ask.

31-Oct-11
Anyone have trouble with a high pitched sound when shooting feathers with a compound? Anyway to quiet these?

31-Oct-11
TD, good catch on the optical illusion. I had forgotten about having a similar result once when I fletched up a batch of arrows with more contrast in the fletching than usual.

We were shooting lots of 3D at the time, and I wanted something a little different from the usual color combos with moderate contrast that so many guys were using, partly because it was hard to tell sometimes whose arrow was which when scoring.

So I got some deep blue floursecent nocks and deep blue for the hen feathers and used white cock feathers. They were pretty, but distracting, because they looked almost like a bluejay speeding down the target lane, doing barrel rolls! I had to fletch up an extra shaft with all white to convince myself that I wasn't seeing poor flight characteristics.

Such a color combo can be VERY deceiving, especially in dappled sunlight.

31-Oct-11
Henry, I like feathers for hunting and shoot tthem from my Mathews. My setup was giving me about 260 fps with the lightest arrows I shot through it, and no noise with feathers.

I did long ago pick up some noise with shield cut feathers even on a slower bow. Switched back to parabolic cut and no more problem.

That feather noise wasn't what I'd de\scribe as "high-pitched", though.

Are you getting the high pitched noise when shooting FP's also? Some BH's will whistle.

31-Oct-11
That's what I was thinking too, vented blades can make some noise.

01-Nov-11
I shoot parabolic cut and it's the same sound with FPs and broadheads. It could be described as a whistling noise. Maybe I have too much angle of the feathers on the arrow...

• Sitka Gear