rooster 09-Dec-11
Kurare 09-Dec-11
Bogey 09-Dec-11
blg 09-Dec-11
Gunny 09-Dec-11
08-Dec-11

BowSniper's embedded Photo
Its been interesting to see the old wooden stands on that other thread. Thought it might be fun to see the modern versions here. I'll start with one I built this year for my boy to use for his first hunt. Stands 14ft to bottom of stand, indoor/outdoor carpet, two benches, and mosquito netting on windows that pivot to open.

08-Dec-11
nice stand....but why the ladder sticks?

08-Dec-11
I don't see it.

08-Dec-11
Is the wall against the tree secured to the tree somehow?

08-Dec-11
Ladder sticks may get you to the upper level penthouse stand on the roof. Must be for a RH shooter with the window on that side. Cool looking stand though.

08-Dec-11
is it set up for wireless

08-Dec-11
To be honest, it scares me. Looks like an accident waiting to happen.

08-Dec-11
Two Feathers x2. Quick ride to the ground.

08-Dec-11
Ladder sticks were just to access the bottom supports that day to apply zig-zaggy paint. Break up the outline, in theory at least!

And yes, the back side also has lag bolts through 2x's and the plywood into the tree to help with shear forces. Its a lot stronger than perhaps it appears at first. No nails used, all heavy 1/2" coated spax bolts (amazing exterior bolts!) and deck hardware.

Only plan on using it twice a year with the boy as he learns to hunt, and until he is ready for a traditional ladder stand or climber.

I've seen some crazy stands on the internet with hot tubs, a bar, and poker table! Anyone have something that fancy??

08-Dec-11
Have you hit any wild wind storms yet. Looks kinda scary.

08-Dec-11
I can't see how it is attached to the tree beyond the picture, but if you ask me that would be a lot better sitting on the ground. I'd find a telephone pole or 4 and cement them into the ground to put that on. I'm scared to death of heights unless I feel 100% safe.

08-Dec-11
Took a direct hit from Hurricane Irene this summer. Worst storm in a decade [at least] and this stand was unphased. Not that I would have been in it during that kind of a storm, but it is reassuring to have passed that kind of a test!

08-Dec-11
can a bow be shot out of that? The windows look kind of small and overall not a lot of room to draw. Looks like a great gun setup though..

09-Dec-11
THAT Absolutely SUCKS. NOW ANYONE WHO ENTERS THOSE WOODS HAS TO SEE THAT EYE SORE.

I would love to see these box blinds limited to the severely handi-caped , right along with the crossbow.

09-Dec-11
looks a little scary to me, would not put my child in it.

09-Dec-11
Kidwalker - it's on private land, of course. Anyone who enters those woods who didn't like it would already be a trespasser. Sheesh! Box blinds like this have started so many kids hunting, that it's crazy to think they should be restricted to just the handicapped !!

09-Dec-11
All it needs is a crescent over the door. Nice camo job.

09-Dec-11
BowSniper

good job. your son will love it ! I remember the first one my dad built for me.

Kidwalker pretty ignorant response don't you think

09-Dec-11
Kidwalker,I agree with RK,that was an ignorant(and I'll add,mean spirited) response......Bowsniper,that's pretty neat and I'm sure very comfy...NICE CAMO!!!!

09-Dec-11
Were I building something like that it would be free standing on four 6 x 6 treated posts and not connected to the tree. Doesn't the tree limit your view out of the backside? I do like the paint job! Good luck

09-Dec-11
I agree with Rooster. Putting that on 4 treated posts will lower it slightly but increase field of view and safety. There is nothing wrong with these kinds of blinds especially with kids. It keeps them comfortable and hides movement. In cold weather you can run a heater in them. There will be a lot of great memories out of the life of that blind. Enjoy spending time with your son. That is what is important. As far as being an eye sore, kind of hard to agree with that comment as it is camo'd in pretty well!

09-Dec-11
Kind of agree there with it being freestanding (than you have the option to move it if nessesary) Great paint job. And kidwalker get another bowl of Wheaties,Somebody crapped in yours :o

09-Dec-11
I like it. I'm looking to build 1 this winter on stilts for my wife. I agree quite a few hunters started in box blinds. Nice job.

09-Dec-11

Agreed that there is one opinion that counts above all others. And the smile says it all !! He scored the first morning of his first hunt ever. I hope that feeling of success can stay with him for the many years it will take to really understand what it means to be a true sportsman and hunter.

He had been talking for months about getting a giant buck, until he actually got in the stand. At that point he was so excited he forgot all about trophies and was hoping above all just to see anything. From the sound of the forest waking up in the morning, to the first squirrel he though was a deer... GREAT memories for both of us!

09-Dec-11
That just made my day! Thanks for sharing BTW looks like a trophy to me.

09-Dec-11
Congrats to your son. And I do gotta agree that the stand looks scary as heck at first glance. But as I look at it a little more, I'd say its pretty stable. One thing though, make sure you check that baby over REALLY well before climbing in next year. A little bit of time can really do a lot of damage and wear stuff down.

09-Dec-11

The original layout was for two people on two benches. Each has a side window and a front window (with one of those side windows built into the door. Neither person has a window behind their head to limit movement seen from the outside. The stand is a good bit wider than the tree, so it allows for a window covering the rear approach.

All in all it came out pretty much as originally designed (except we are in much better shape than the schematic people in plan!!)

09-Dec-11

From the field edge, not much of an eyesore. I was thinking ASAT when I went crazy with the spray cans, but didn't really do that design any justice. Really surprised how well some zig-zags made the ladder disappear into the background, though.

Will give it a good review in summer and add some support framing kickers. Agreed - Better safe than sorry.

There is already a little girl talking smack to her big brother about doing better herself next year!

09-Dec-11
Hey for the idiot raging. If you see it your trespassing so get the hell out of there.

Nice stand.

09-Dec-11
My country and much of Europe is full of such stands so our true "green loden wearing" hunters can point their Blaser rifles scoped with 3-12 x Swarovski scopes and blast unsuspecting roe deer 150 meters away with success:) I much prefer portable US type treestands as I am a bowhunter and I think using portable stand adds very much to the hunting experience. You cant have an owl trying to sit on your shoulder if you sit in a box:)

Janez

09-Dec-11

rooster's embedded Photo
rooster's embedded Photo
Kurare, I was lucky enough to hunt in Germany a few years back. The guy I was with actually loaned the loden coat and yes, a Blazer rifle to me. Although it had a Ziess scope on it! I killed a Roe deer buck at about 25 yards with it. The head hangs in my office. Great experience!

09-Dec-11
You should experience killing one with a bow.;) Small and elusive species it is.

I guess for a US hunter european green loden style hunting truly is a unique experience, I on the other hand think you guys have it better (completely legal bowhunting) on your side of the pond:)

Janez

09-Dec-11
Definitely looks like that kind of shelter would help a youngster out with covering movement,nerves and even give them a bit of an opportunity to do something else while hunting.

Both of you be careful up there. I'm a nervous nelly when it comes to heights and trusting stands.

I would think that the addition of a 4 x 4 or two even if it's not dug into the ground/cemented would help ease those fears and add to the safety and design you've already come up with.

Nice job on the paint too! Looks great!

I was thinking of trying to build something like that for my father who has retired from hunting because of health issues. Although I was thinking more of a raise platform that leaned/fastened to a tree, instead of directly attached. I thought it might give him an opportunity to get back into the woods. I was going to use a different design for the windows, more of like a giant "plus" sign to allow for various angles and such with a bow.

Congrats to your son on a beautiful first buck!

09-Dec-11
You could always add a small diameter ss cable from a point in the roof framing(near the front) where it is structurally strong and run it up at a 45 degree angle back to the tree.

Won't tip out and down if anything fails.

09-Dec-11

Gunny's embedded Photo
Gunny's embedded Photo
Made this one for my daughter three years ago. Was just going to be some two by fours and plywood, but morphed into this.

We hunted out of it one time the first year. I made it so she would be comfortable and could move around. No need, she has shot two deer from a ground blind and one from a double ladder stand.

• Sitka Gear