Rubline 17-Apr-12
BB 18-Apr-12
StrutNut 18-Apr-12
Mark Watkins 19-Apr-12
BULELK1 20-Apr-12
BB 20-Apr-12
Tracker 20-Apr-12
16-Apr-12
Last week I was in my shop sanding some window housings I am in the process of making. I knelt down on the floor to sand it and I got a bad "charlie horse" in my ham string. I stood up quick and stretched my leg, but it didn't seem to go away.

Throughout my life I have had some bad leg cramps, much worse than the one I had last week, but in minutes or hours they have always gone away. But this one is way different. It's still very sore, seems to loosen some once I get going, but gets very sore again once I stop. When I sit, where its sore, it feels like I am sitting on a tennis ball or something like that.

I have never been very flexible and one time at physical therapy I had the therapist tell me he had never seen anyone with as tight of hamstrings as I had.

In 71 years I have never pulled one or had anything like this. I know there's got to be some guys out there who have pulled theirs so I am asking if you think that is what this sounds like. When I feel it, its sore but no lump or ball or anything like that. And how long does it take to heal and what's the best thing to be doing. I still have been walking my dogs twice a day and once I get going its not too bad, but after and at the start it not that great.

Okay hamstring experts, can you tear a hamstring with a cramp?

Have a great bow hunt. BB

16-Apr-12
Have pulled my hamstring many times and every one has been while running when I tried for an extra busst of speed. I have seen many guys pull hamstrings and it has always been the same, a quick burst of speed and bingo, you are in a world of hurt. Yours doesn't sound like a real hamstring pull. Feel better.

16-Apr-12
A real pulled hammy(only done it once), will put you down to the ground. I'm guessing that since you have to ask, it's not a true pull. I've "strained" mine a few times, and have stubborn charlie horses take a week or so to get better, but a real pulled hammy is a no doubter.

Welcome to the age of slow healing. There's a shot that can be taken that is similar to cortisone, only it's a muscle relaxant rather than a steroid. It did wonders for my shoulder knot a few years ago. Can't remember now what it was called though, ask your Dr. if it persists.

17-Apr-12
I did one about 7 weeks ago. It really tore and the evidence was the bruising (purple/yellow) all the way down to mid calf. It still bothers me a bit, but I iced it all day along with walking when it happened.

It's the first one for me. I've always tried to stretch and exercise and while I've had "make you cry" cramps, this is the first real tear.

17-Apr-12
Do some lite stretching and see if it will loosen up.

Some morning's I do not get my normal stretches done and I have noticed I get these strange cramp like muscle tensions.

If it remains painfull like you have expressed, go see the DR. about it.

I hope it gets better fast!

Good luck, Robb

17-Apr-12
Hard to tell from my computer (LOL)but I'd agree -- it sounds like you injured -- but likely didn't completely tear -- the hamstring. The "ball" is concerning, though. Is it up by the pelvis bone? If so, it could represent a small avulsion fracture.

I'd get it checked out ... and then start some stretching. I've always been pretty inflexible, too ... but am just completing P90x this week. The thing I'm most improved with is my flexibility ... I credit the yoga. Hard to injure yourself with yoga, and pretty easy to make big improvements.

17-Apr-12
Like x-man says "real" pulled hamstring will put you down and out. I've had one and it took over a year to be completely healed. The pain was so bad that I couldn't put a sock on that side for a couple of months without breaking a sweat. Also the back of my leg turned black and blue. How is the relative strength in that leg? If you can bend forward at the waist and move your leg through normal range I'd say you've strained it. Bill, your cramping may be a sign that you need to drink more water. Like you I'm not very "stretchy" but I make sure now to stretch before any real excersize(hockey) and after working out.

17-Apr-12
My Dad was one heck of a walker. He was just a little guy but could out hue anyone in his day. But as a very young boy I remember him getting really bad charlie horses so I guess that part might be, to a degree, inherited, as I do drink lots of water. And most of the time I do get charlie horses is after I have used my legs much more that I have been used to But the morning this happened I had just walked the dogs on our three mile route, returned home and basically kneeled down to sand and it hit.

I have never had a hamstring injury before, thus the question. It sounds like a strain to me. For example it was sore and stiff when I got up this morning. I had a slight limp the first mile or so on my walk but then things loosened up and it felt pretty decent. When I get up from this chair, it will be stiff again, I am sure.

John, the ball I am talking about is not really there. It just feels like I am sitting on a ball, but there's not a ball in my leg, and it is in the middle of the back of my upper leg, half way from my groin to my knee. And I can't say I notice any weakness in the leg, just sore and stiff. In bed it just a dull ache. And I have an older sister who just loves yoga and tells me I should be doing that.

Other than that I feel great. I do stove up wear more now than I used to, but I guess that comes with getting old.

Thanks to each of you for your input. I will keep a watch on it and if it gets worse or doesn't heal in due time I will see a doc.

Again thanks and have a great bow hunt. BB

17-Apr-12
BB - my thoughts are the hamstring "cramp" stems from your back, especially if it stays persistent. If you don't have any discoloration, I doubt if you tore anything. I have chronic back trouble and have had a couple of back surgeries. I have chronic hamstring (sciatic) trouble in my left leg. Sometimes just the simplest things will cause it to cramp. I'm guessing that when you were kneeling and leaned forward a bulging disc at level L5-S1 pressed on a nerve and sent your leg into spasm. Wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted. Ron

17-Apr-12
Bill, I agree with the consensus above....cramp/charlie horse vs. a pull or tear. I have a history (that I won't bore you with) of hamstring pulls. Here are a few ideas

-get an electronic massager with multiple heads/speed settings. It will cost $85-$125.....it is a life saver...I use one EVERY morning. Buy one. Start at your shoulders and move down your back, focusing on your lower back, through your glutes all the way down to your hamstrings and/or calfs.

-drink plenty of water, mixing in an electrolyte/sodium drink as well...gatorade works fine.

-sit on a tennis ball (literally) directly on your cramped area. Hold your weight up by propping yourself up whit your arms...you want to "gently break up" the cramp.

-see your PT or Chiro and get some good stretching exercises ( I have about 6 that I do every morning)...they work!

-Good luck, you will work through this and build a daily routine....BUY the massager today!

17-Apr-12
Another thing ... I don't think it was that long ago that you were having some other health problems.

A guy gets ill, laid-up, and although he slowly recovers, these little nagging injuries are sometimes the price to pay.

I remember hearing that the highest risk an athlete has for a sprained ankle is an injury to something else earlier in the season -- the thought being that injuries slow us down and lead to some deconditioning that happens so slow that we really don't notice -- until we push it too far.

Regardless ... Rest, Ice, and Stretch Therapy never hurt. It'll get better or it won't!

17-Apr-12
Is there any discoloring? Redness? Any general swelling above or below the painful area?

17-Apr-12
BB,I think you have the same I did.I pulled both hamstrings while lifting a beam in place.Like you said,dull ache 24/7,very uncomfortable sitting in a chair.Hate to tell you this,but it took a full year for it to go away. I just took aspirin on the worst days,for the pain,and kept working.

17-Apr-12
There is no sign of bruising or discoloration that i can see. And there is no noticeable swelling. By pushing on my leg, in the area, I notice the most pain about in the middle and then less pain near the knee and by my buttocks. It seems about the same today as it been for the last few days.

Well I am going to take my dogs for their afternoon/evening walk I will start out limping a bit I am sure, but should walk pretty normal after about 15 minutes. Once I get home it will get pretty stiff. At least that has been what's been happening since this happened.

Again thanks to all of you for your input. I am not quitter, so I will just push through it no matter what it takes. And its really not that bad, more joust a pain. Ha Ha

17-Apr-12
There are three stages of hamstring pull.

Stage 1 is very mild pain- uncomfortable with noticable pain that surely wasn't there before---likely your present condition.

Stage 2 - you walk with an annoying kimp for a few days; I mean for about 3 days you cannot walk normal- you are done doing any strenous or athletic activity for about three weeks... about 7 - 10 days and you are nearly back to a normal walk...that is if all of the healthy recovery measures are followed. You seriously go easy during this time so that you don't champion yourself into stage 3.

Stage 3 - you are not walking for I don't know how long; some hear a snap or pop when a muslce gives your are black and blue and you got a complete tear of one of those three muscles. Likely a year of no strenuous exercise will follow...but others could tell you better detail than I on this segment.

There are three different hamstring muscles in the back of the leg that supports the leg from the rear cheeks to the knees; these muscles are very distinct and separate from each other.

You likley tore some tiny fiber muscles in the location you are calling a ball like feeling.

What to do?

Within 48 hours of such a sharp pain for stage 1 and 2, ice that area as much as your tolerance will allow during this intitial time period. 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off (you've got to give the icing breaks as to prevent further indirect injury from too much ice application) until you get annoyed at applying the ice....elevate the area if you can while sleeping...maybe use a pillow if you can. In my experiences, ice is the miracle, the great healer...its as simple as that.

When you feel up to it, stretching after icing or stretching gently when the pain subsides becomes a good habit for recovery.

If you are a few days gone by into the pain. I'd ice it when you are done walking on and off for an hour or two; or after strenuous activity. Massage the area gently after icing or between icing breaks. Keep that routine up and at some point begin stretching anytime you find the time. There are so many stretching options that you have to find one that suitable and works the area.

But initially, you have got to get the blood flowing away from the injured area ...correctly ASAP. Tears, even tiny tears, cause blood clots or stagnates blood at the injured region...which houses the pain and prevent quick healing. Ice gets the blood moving and stretching only helps the healing towards stregthening the muscles once again...but stretch only when you don't have serious pain.

18 years of softball led me to know the hammy's well.

I think you are the great photographer so we gotta get you back into shape.

18-Apr-12
I am not sure what I did, but today I got a call from my nephew, who just happens to be an MD. He said it sounded to him like I had torn something and if I had to get a mirror and look at it and see if I could see any bruising.

Anyway I told him I was pretty sure there wasn't any but I would take his suggestion and see.

Here's what I found. I know these aren't good photos, but they were self taken, just to show how it looked.

The horizontal line, is where my knee bends. Most of the bruising is above my knee as you can see.

Photobucket

Here's one more photo.

Photobucket

So evidently I tore something, but I really don't think its that bad. Like said the first mile or so I limp, early pretty noticeable, but after the first mile, very little if any, although I can still feel it.

Hopefully in a few weeks it will all go away. Anyway that is what I think and believe will happen. I don't think I hurt it bad enough that it will take that long to heal, even at this old mans age.

Again thanks for your help and I think this puts a new light on things.

And Ron when I sent you that email this afternoon, I had not yet discovered the bruise. In fact I was just getting ready for bed and thought I better check it out like my nephew ask me to do. I then came down and took these photos.

Again thanks for all your help and hopefully now this will tell those that had this what better to tell me. I do think its most likely the mild one Rubline talked about.

18-Apr-12
I have pulled many as well either doing a sudden burst of speed (hockey) or a sudden reduction of speed (softball).

19-Apr-12
Bill, looks a bit more serious than maybe us "wannabe internet doctors" first diagnosed! You might want to go see your MD. Hunting season isn't far off and these can take awhile to heal!

20-Apr-12
Day 5 from your 1st post Bill.

Any better ? or about the same ?

With the screwy weather we have had most of this week---maybe you are healing up.

Good luck, Robb

20-Apr-12
dHowdy Robb, I don't think its much better. At times its even more painful, but I am sure the course of an injury like this. I have been stretching as best I can, without trying to damage it more and I still take my dogs on the twice a day walks. It actually feels the best after about a mile into the walk. But feels the worst after I rest or stop the activity. If things don;t change for the better within a week or two I will go see a Doc at TOSH. I am sure they can tell me the scoop in fast order.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

20-Apr-12
I have had a similar issue. I pulled an inner hamstring while golfing. Never realized how many injuries you can get in that sport. I was very persistant aand would not go away on its own Took some medication and ultrasound. I put up with the pain for two months before figuring out it would not go heal. Its hard enough for a doctor to diagnose a problem let alone asking a bunch of bow hunters on line. Probably time to visit the doc.

• Sitka Gear