wildwilderness 10-May-12
'Ike' (Phone) 17-May-12
passing... thru 18-May-12
BB 19-May-12
passing... thru 30-May-12
MattyB 27-Jun-12
'Ike' (Phone) 26-Jul-12
25-Apr-12
I received a note from Ike yesterday. He ask me to post some photos of buck antelope so he can have a better idea of its Pope and Young score. So some bucks will be P and Y and some won't. Hopefully, this will help any of you who, want to be able to field judge buck antelope, in some small way.

Ike, along with a few other Bowsite's will be hunting Pronghorns in Wyoming this fall and I think he wants to better be able to judge a buck when he sees it.

So I will post a photo or two every couple of days, and I would like to see those of you who will, to join in and give your idea of whither or not the photos of the bucks I post, will make P and Y, and if any of you want to go a step farther, then go ahead and guess its P and Y score.

So Ike this threads for you.

We will start out with this buck. I have seen him for the past three years. He really is much heavier than he looks, although he's not a big buck, he is the toughest buck in the area, running far bigger bucks off. He is one fighter and one lady's man. I call him the Warrior!

Is he a P and Y buck or not?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Both photos are of the same buck. After a day or two of guessing, I will share a photo that I think might be this bucks dad. And you can then guess on that buck.

Help Ike out and please participate if you will. Thanks in advance!!

Have a great bow hunt. BB

25-Apr-12
I am not the best judge of antelope but I would say this one would not make P&Y. Just from the pics he just looks too short.

Tim

25-Apr-12
I don't know how to judge antelope, but the first picture of him makes him look like he is old!

25-Apr-12
I don't think he would! David

25-Apr-12
On the fence as he is close to 67...I just keep coming up with 65-66.

25-Apr-12
Let him walk if your looking for a P&Y.

25-Apr-12
It seems I'm not seeing the photos on a lot of threads lately. Wonder what that's about?

25-Apr-12
Nope. I say 64" ish.

25-Apr-12
My first guess he is simply not. However, if he is a P & Y on the hoof, he is just barely and will not measure up after the 60 drying period. Been there-done that !!!

I learned that antelope shrinkage is approx. 6-8%. Therefore in order to qualify for book a buck is going to have to green score 71-72" to minimum qualify.

25-Apr-12

BULELK1's Link
These are fun to do.

Thanks Bill.

See my link if ya want to print out a score sheet for each of these Photo's coming along in the next few days.

On this Pic #-1

My guess is 63 P&Y.

Good luck, Robb

25-Apr-12
LoL! Thanks Bill...I like him, as in that first photo he just looks mean!

25-Apr-12
I'd say around 60" and no book.

25-Apr-12
He looks a bit short of P&Y. Maybe a 12 inch buck, low 60's, but antelope field judging is by no means my forte. Thanks, BB! This should be fun Will

25-Apr-12
I agree that he will come close, but will fall a little shy. Looks to only be about 12" with pretty weak prongs. On the flip side, he has decent mass.

Probably won't make book, but nice looking goat. Very symmetrical with the classic heart shape.

25-Apr-12
Here's another of him, but more of a close-up. I think he is more deceiving than meets the eye. I personally think he would make P and Y, but I have seen him many times. And perhaps my ability to judge is slanted by knowing so much about this buck. Trying to guess on the hoof is simply just that. I have watched guys guess 30 inch differences on mule deer. And by no means am I good at guessing within an inch or two on any animal, unless I just luck out.

But what I can tell you about this buck, is that is one tough critter. He demands respect from all the bucks in the area. They know him well and they understand enough to take off when he heads their way. I have watched him run many a buck whose horns were much larger. He reminds me of the little guy that can whip up on most of the big, tough guys. But once they try a guy iike that, they learn quickly to steer clear. And that is exactly what is happening in the area he roams.

To me he is a symbol of a Warrior, and thus his nickname.

Photobucket

And thanks to all of you for playing and following along!

Most antelope are pretty cow shy and won't come near the water with cows around. Not so the Warrior!

Photobucket

25-Apr-12
Like stated above, I believe 63" or 64".

25-Apr-12
See, personality and I like that...

25-Apr-12
Ike and an attitude, and I really like that.

I might just be dreaming, so it will be interesting to see what you guys think about this next antelope I will post that I think might be his dad!

Every so often I see a buck that I think was fathered by another buck I have seen. It doesn't happen often, and of course its only a wild guess and I know that. But I know the Warrior has speed his genes around the area and I am sure his dad played a big part in how he looks and acts.

I know my son's wife always says, "Your son is you!"

25-Apr-12
Thanks for the photos Bill! I'll be watching this thread veeeeeeeery carefully... I'm very excited for this hunt!

25-Apr-12
Scoot, I can't tell you when to drop the sting, but I can tell you if you see an antelope, start taking photos. Ha Ha

25-Apr-12
It appears he is just a bit shy of P&Y but he makes up for it in character. A truly beautiful even goat and looks like he has a attitude to match.

I hunt goats in Western Kansas and have shot two in fourteen years (rather scarce and wary) and I know if he gave me an opportunity he would be on the wall for sure.

I did a European mount on my last buck and I think that type of mount for some reason really compliments goats!

25-Apr-12

KS Flatlander's embedded Photo
KS Flatlander's embedded Photo

25-Apr-12
Thanks for posting this BB. I drew a decent tag in Arizona for Archery Pronghorn. I'm not dead set on killing a big goat, but these photos do help determine what is what. I know you said this is for Ike but I'm going to milk it for what its worth.

Always a pleasure reading your posts,

Nick

25-Apr-12
Bill how many years have u seen this buck , And have u noticed his horns better on some years then others ...

25-Apr-12
let him walk in front of me in august when i am on my first antelope hunt and ill give you an exact measurement

25-Apr-12
Louis, I have seen him for three years now. The two lowest photos of him were from 2010. The one where he is facing (quartering to the camera pretty sharp) was taken last fall. The photos I took of the buck that I suspect and think some of you may too, to be his dad were taken in 2009. I have not seen that buck since that summer, so I think someone got him that fall during the rifle hunt.

The reason I think he would make P and Y is that he is much heavier than he really looks. A couple years ago my son shot his buck at my urging, knowing he didn't have great prongs, but I glassed him a lot and told him his horns were stumps. And they was round like a tree trunk rather than the normal shape (thinner in one direction and wider in the other, if that makes sense.

26-Apr-12
I think many of us miss the fact that Mass really helps the overall score on Pronghorn Bucks.

We look at length and the cutter (prong) and make our decision to harvest or not.

Buck Pic #2 coming today Bill?

Hope your healing up well.

Good luck, Robb

26-Apr-12
You nailed it on the MASS part Robb. I will try to get some pictures of a couple of 12"rs with shorter cutters that will got mid-70's tonight.

26-Apr-12
Looks a lot like one my wife shot back in 90. It end ed up 63.

26-Apr-12
Robb, mass makes up a lot for length because you have several mass measurements per side and only one length measurement per side.

And from now on I will try to number each buck so if anyone joins in later and wants to play they can refer to a number buck for the statement they want to make and that way we will all know to which buck they are referring to. So the buck previous to this is buck 1.

Here's buck 2. I kind of think he could be buck 1's dad. Who else sees the resemblance? And do you think this buck is PandY ?

I took these photos during the summer of 2009. I did not draw a permit that year, and haven't seen him since. These photos were taken within 100 yards of where I took buck 1's photos.

Here's buck 2. Is he bucks one dad? Is he P and Y?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's one final one of this buck, (horn wise) looking straight on.

Photobucket

26-Apr-12
Assuming his mass is above average I came up with these:

Length: 12 D1: 7 D2: 6.75 D3: 3.25 D4: 2.5 Prong: 4

Assuming both sides pretty equal x2 =

Total: 71"

Some deduction but not huge, 69-70" range? After drying might be right at the line?

26-Apr-12
I posted just as you put up the 2nd buck, my #'s are for 1st buck

26-Apr-12
Looks just a tad bigger than the first and yes, they appear to be related. Cool stuff! I'm guessing this guy at about 12-13.5 so just makes it? Man, lopes sure are tough to judge. I actually think it's easier from a distance than closeup.

26-Apr-12
Okay--good deal....

Buck #2--the Daddy Buck--kissing 70.

Sooooo 69 + P&Y.

Good luck, Robb

26-Apr-12
Buck #2 looks like he might just make it.

27-Apr-12
Here's a new buck. The photos aren't the greatest, but hopefully you can try to decide about what you think he goes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

27-Apr-12
Oh, he'd get an arrow slung at him for sure...Ivory tips, love it!

27-Apr-12
I agree with Ike, I believe he would make P&Y but the ivory tips made up my mide to take a shot.

27-Apr-12
Boy, I'm sure scratching my head looking at these pics. Here you guys are talking about this most recent buck barely making P&Y? I would have thought he was a no brainer?

I shot a 14.5" goat in WY last Oct that we taped ourselves - no official measurement or anything that came out to 76 and change and this one looks bigger at least by the photo? I have enough of an idea how to score a goat that I assume we were within an inch or two?

27-Apr-12
badlander, that last buck is definitely a very good buck and well over the minimum.

That photo was taken three years ago, and the day I shot it, I shot all the photos in RAW. The two I posted above, were converted to Jpg images at that time on my old computer. Today when I went back to the original photos, I tried to convert the RAW images to Jpg, but for some reason I had no option but tiff and other other formats I can't post.

But the photo I wanted to post, was of this buck walking away on a sharp quartering angle and it shows its mass and height better those I posted. He really was a nice buck.

And even the first buck I posted, I think will go P and Y because of his mass. He really isn't that high, but he has pretty fair prongs and very good mass. And mass really counts in critters whose horns aren't that long in comparison to critters whose length is 4-6 times as long, as antelope, as are the main beam of elk and deer, etc.

For many years the Utah State Archery Pronghorn was only 12" high. And another thing one has to keep in mind, is the fact that when a bucks horns, curve a lot on top, they don't look that high, but measure better than many imagine. On the contrary, a buck which has little curve on top looks very high, but usually measures shorter than one thinks.

Those are just a few things to remember when judging antelope.

Hopefully, we have enough interest on this thread, that it can run long enough, that I can post a few bucks, I have photos of alive, but later were taken, and so we really know about what they scored on the ground. Most of this will be a guess, but there are a few, I can show that we got measure too.

I know over the past few years I have posted lots of antelope photos and I am sure many are tired of seeing them and to those I apologize.

27-Apr-12
Bill cool thread, hope you keep it up. Love learning from these photos on how to score a good buck. Heading back out this year in September and your photos are inspiring. John

27-Apr-12
Buck #3 is a dandy!

I will put him right @ 74 P&Y.

Good cutters and good length with his heart shape curl-in.....above average mass.

Good luck, Robb

28-Apr-12
Buck # 4 comes in. Your goal is to shoot any P and Y buck. This buck is less than 15 yards and offers you this shot. Do you take him. What do you think he scores?

Photobucket

28-Apr-12
I take the exact same picture and he gets a pass...

28-Apr-12
Pass, doesn't quite make it

28-Apr-12
#4 and goal is any P and Y I take that shot and score him at 69 and change. Thanks for all this antelope fun BB, keep them coming.

29-Apr-12
another thought for antelope is they may make it "green" but give them 60 days and that can change quickly. they shrink a lot in that time, some i have shot up to 2 inches or more. so sqeeking one in at 69 the day you shot it most likely won't make it after the drying period.

29-Apr-12
Buck #5

This is another buck I have kind of watched grow up. Here he is 3 years ago.

Photobucket

Here's one of him during the summer of 2010.

Photobucket

And here are a couple of him last year. My son and his friend Jon have nicknamed this buck "Pitchfork"!

Photobucket

Photobucket

When you see this buck coming at you, from a long distance, in your bins, he looks pretty dang good, but when he gets close, you can see why he won't' every score very well. I am surprised some rifle hunter hasn't knocked him off from a long distance, as he looks pretty high. Nonetheless he's a good looking buck on the hoof!

29-Apr-12
His prongs are too low to carry mass up high on Pitchfork

30-Apr-12
I think wildwilderness has it right. Like I mentioned, through the glasses, from a long distance, he looks like a dandy, but when he gets closer, you begin to realize, he has very low, small, prongs, and not much curl, as he goes straight up.

Here's another shot of Pitchfork running just after my camera shutter scared him.

Photobucket

I hunted bears for many years and when ask "How do you know when its a big bear", I would always say, if you are wondering if its big, its not that big, cause when you see a big one, you will know it.

Antelope are hard to judge too, but in a way the same can be said for antelope. When you see a really good one, you will know it.

Today's buck is one of those which is kind of a no brainer. It was on the ground, less than a month after this photo was taken. So I ask those interested, first if you would shoot it, and second, what do you think it would score.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And since I know most of you would shoot this buck, I have placed a dot in a great place to hit. Antelope move fast, so don't shoot back, as they move forward, the instance they hear the bow, Sound travels faster than your arrow, even though your close, if you aim behind the crease, you are likely to gut shoot this animal, as they can react much faster than most animals.

Photobucket

Tomorrow, after some of you guess a score, I will tell you quite a story about this buck.

30-Apr-12
Yes, he gets an arrow...

30-Apr-12
So what do you think he scores Ike? Or anyone else want to take a guess. Hint, he is a good one!

30-Apr-12
80ish...

30-Apr-12
Ike, I know you used to be a cop, but, 80ish is a cop-out!!! Ha Ha Is he 80ish one or 80ish nine:-)

Or is he 80ish I don't know?

30-Apr-12
Yes, I would be trying to control the shaking to get a shot off! He would score good enough! If I had to guess it would be around 75-76".

30-Apr-12
I'll plead the 80ish I don't have a clue...

01-May-12
really nice buck, don,t think he,s got the length to crack 80" though. I,ll go with 79"

01-May-12
Looks like Ike better hone his detective skills!!!

01-May-12
I'll go with 77, maybe 76. BTY I hate speed goats for this reason.

01-May-12
"Looks like Ike better hone his detective skills!!!"

Haaaa, yup...Not a score guy, I go more on the personality and character of an animal...I see, I like, I shoot...Just makes it easier! LoL!

01-May-12
My guess, 79. Great BB you are sucking me in on these awesome looking creatures again this year, headed to hunt wyoming this fall for the first time.

02-May-12
Here's a little about that last buck.

I missed him at about 12 yards.

He was taken in early Sept. by a young boy on the second day of the rifle hunt. The kid sat in the same blind, where I missed him and he came in and he took him one afternoon. He was 82 and some change.

Here's one that was taken by Turk a couple years back. I took this photograph the year previous to the year that Turk took this buck. What do you think he scores?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's Turk with his 2010 buck.

Photobucket

02-May-12
Guessing 20" of mass, 6.5" prong, 14" long puts him right on 81"

Oh and yes, first morning of the first day that goat would get shot, rifle or bow anyplace except maybe Limited Draw tag that took me years to draw.

02-May-12
the down slope left cutter is cool, going to go with a 83.

02-May-12

02-May-12
I don't remember the exact score of Scott's buck (Turk), but he shot it on opening morning. If you look close, you can see the buck is really wet, like its been raining, but you can see there's hardly a cloud in the sky.

Scott shot his buck and dropped on the spot and ended up being all covered with mud. The place where he shot his buck is called the wallow, and that's exactly how his buck looked before we cleaned it up. I do remember his buck was just at 75.

02-May-12
Although I don't enter any animals in P and Y I like to use there measuring system to judge animals. I am not worried about score so much as I am how good a buck looks to me. If I see something neat, that I like, I will shoot it and not worry about the score.

With that said, here's a few photos of the buck I shot last year just before I shot him. My buddy Shane and I green scored him the day I shot him. What do you think he greened?

These are the only two photos I have, as I put my camera down and picked up my bow to fill my tag. I know they aren't the best to judge from, but what's your guess. I will add a couple trophy photos to give you a little better idea.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

06-May-12
That one looks like 80ish too.

08-May-12
My last years buck was a high 70's buck. And he was a tank as far as body size and weight went. By far he was the largest body antelope I have ever taken.

Here's a buck that I almost shot last year, but decided to pass him up. I just took a couple photos of him. Later in the hunt, Shane's son Dallas shot him, so I know pretty close to what he scored.

What would this buck score?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

08-May-12

'Ike''s embedded Photo
'Ike''s embedded Photo
Oh yeah, he gets a vote...

08-May-12
maybe 70ish?

08-May-12
wildnerness, let me ask you, like I ask Ike, would that be low 70 ish, or high 70 ish, or somewhere near mid 70 ish? :-)

I just received an email from Turk today that told me his buck, after drying grossed 75-7/8 and netted 74-4/8.

Here's another photo of Scott and his 2010 opening morning buck!

Photobucket

09-May-12
how about low 70ish?

10-May-12
Lol...More like I like'ish!!!

10-May-12
Dallas's buck was just a bit over 77 green. Mine was about 79, so if a buck like those come in, you should consider shooting him, unless you have killed a lot of lopes and just trophy hunt. Personally I don't worry much about score, but I wait until I see one that I really like and then I try for him. I also try to take a photo of the buck first and sometimes that will end up costing the buck. It's happened on several occasion and on several different species of critters.

Just remember mass means much more than height when it comes to score. Height, many times, means much more to looks than mass.

Heres a buck my son shot two years ago. He has lots of mass but not great prongs and he also had pretty good length. But notice the highest horn was the shortest. The other one had more curve and thus more length.

Sometime its pretty easy to be fooled in thinking a buck is not that high, when in fact it can have much longer horns if he curves a lot, VS. going straight up.

Photobucket

10-May-12
Now that one looks 70ish too!

Do you have any bucks that DID NOT make P&Y to compare?

I am pretty sure I am going antelope hunting this year.

17-May-12
Ohhhh Bill....

18-May-12
Just picked this thread since I drew my Co tag and will be looking for a nice pronghorn this year. #1 and # look good until you see the frontal pictures, then you may change your mind. My question is though... do they have their heads tilted forward thus making them appear shorter? Either way, #1 and #2 would get an arrow if I was in an otc unit and they were representative of the area. If I had to guess I would say both meet p&y min and yes they look like they are from the same gene pool. #3 - 76 -77 and I would not hesitate if he gave me a shot. #4 - again, I would shoot this buck in an area where this is a good representation of bucks in that area. My guess for #4 is low 70's. #5 - at first look this buck just does not appeal to me and I do not think he would make it score wise. Depending on how many days I sat in the blind and how many I had left to hunt might decide if I would shoot or not. #6 - gagger or is that dandy? never could figure out why guys called outstanding animals "dandy's" just does not fit. Of course gagger is not a word but it fits for me. #7 - unique buck and I would shoot him. No score guess on 6 & 7 since you already posted the scores. #8 - nice buck BB. #9 - not sure how you passed on this one? #10 - unique and heavy, I think will make p&y around 74-75 maybe more. We are ready for the next wave of great pictures... keep them coming.

19-May-12
Here are a couple, a guy needs to wait at least one ore year to shoot.

Photobucket

30-May-12
BB is this thread on hold or are we going to keep playing?

27-Jun-12
FYI, I pretended to have shot pretty much every antelope posted! LOL

BB your posts are my favorite on any hunting site.

26-Jul-12
More'ish!

• Sitka Gear