britfan 23-Oct-12
britfan 23-Oct-12
Triple 3 24-Oct-12
Triple 3 24-Oct-12
Big John 24-Oct-12
Swamp Buck 06-Dec-12
city hunter 06-Dec-12
30-Sep-12
Ok I've been using a popup pickup camper for a base camp for a couple years now. Nice bed, stove, refrigerator, and I love poking my arm out of the sleeping bag and turning up the thermostat at 4:30 a.m.

The only downside is it's size. It's perfect when I hunt by myself. With two people it a little crowded. Technically it could sleep three. However it would be big hassle eating, getting around in the a.m. getting ready for bed etc.

My son and grandson are 8 and are both showing interest in hunting. I'm seriously considering trading up to a wall tent.

Could you guys please humor my idea with a couple of questions.

I guess I'll start with what size is a good for 1 to 4 people/cots, and a stove? What brand in the best quality tent?

Oh and I have thought about a bigger camper but it's pretty tight where we go with a popup camper. I dont think I could make it with a camper trailer or bigger pickup camper.

30-Sep-12

Bowboy's Link
I'd take a look at Davis Tents. Their awesome folks to deal with. Size wise I'd say 12 x 18 or 14 x 16. That will give you plenty of room for 3 to 4 people. Also I'd recommend getting the internal pole system. Once you get one set it up a few times in your yard so you become familiar with setting it up.

I bought a wall tent back in 1986 and still use it. If you take care of it and don't store it wet it will last a life time. Also you can take them places a lot of trailers and campers equipped rigs can't go.

30-Sep-12
I use a Reliable Big Horn Wall tent, they are made in Montana, mine is a 14' x 16' with a internal frame, it is easy to put up, by myself or with help, it will sleep up to 4 with no problem. There are several good brand wall tents, just depends on what you want to spend. I have had my tent for over 10 years now, and it is still just like new, i have used it for 2 -3 weeks each year.

Kevin

30-Sep-12
My buddy and I bought a Davis 14 X 16 about 5 years ago. It's a great tent and there is plenty of room for three. I could see four getting a little tight. The stove takes up one corner by the door, but it's a big corner. We got the rain fly, 3/4 floor and a back window. We also got the internal frame. Pretty easy to set up and plenty of space when it's just two of us. With three we usually have a separate tent for storage and bags, etc. We cook inside the tent and just added a two burner LP tabletop stove. It's a big improvement over the Coleman pump-up two burner. If you go in cold weather a lot I would consider a bigger stove so you don't wake up cold in the morning. Bigger stove holds more wood.

30-Sep-12
My buddy and I bought a Davis 14 X 16 about 5 years ago. It's a great tent and there is plenty of room for three. I could see four getting a little tight. The stove takes up one corner by the door, but it's a big corner. We got the rain fly, 3/4 floor and a back window. We also got the internal frame. Pretty easy to set up and plenty of space when it's just two of us. With three we usually have a separate tent for storage and bags, etc. We cook inside the tent and just added a two burner LP tabletop stove. It's a big improvement over the Coleman pump-up two burner. If you go in cold weather a lot I would consider a bigger stove so you don't wake up cold in the morning. Bigger stove holds more wood.

30-Sep-12
Another vote for Davis Tents. I bought a 12x17 from them 3 years ago and it's awesome. Sleeps 4 no problem but 3 and a kitchen area works a little better.

30-Sep-12
What do the Davis tents cost these days?

30-Sep-12

Bowboy's Link
Jake,

Follow the attached link. Also they do have specials!

30-Sep-12
one thing to keep in mind when looking at wall tent prices, the frame is usually extra, and cost almost as the tent.

I use a propane heater in mine, it works great, doesn't take up much room, and you don't have to spend time cutting wood.

Kevin

30-Sep-12
I bought a cabelas 12 x 12 Alaknak about ten years ago after getting tired of not being able to get a full sized truck to the places I hunted. This tent easily goes on the back of my atv and I can set it up in 30 min. Gets used every year in all weather conditions, I dont think you can beat it for the versatility and the price.

30-Sep-12
Another vote for Davis Tents. We have a 12 X 14 and have anywhere from 2 to 8 hunters (and sometimes non-hunting guests) in camp. We use the wall tent for cooking, eating and socializing, and sleep in smaller dome tents.

30-Sep-12
I used to have a 16x20 from Denver Tent (now ACME) and I currently have an older Davis little 9x10.

They are great, but I have used a friends Alaknak and its a pretty good fit for 2-3 people. It packs up smaller due to thinner material and does great in nasty weather. Has a floor built-in, its lighter, and comes with everything you need to set it up. My next will probably be the Alaknak or Bighorn.

30-Sep-12

BullSac's embedded Photo
BullSac's embedded Photo
I bought a Davis 12x14 this year and just returned yesterday from 13 days in Wyoming. My only regret is that I wish I would have gone with the larger stove. I bought the middle one (Ridge maybe??), and you can realistically expect about 3 hours of heat from it without having to add wood. I would set the alarm at 0400 hrs, get the stove going, then be really warm at 0430 hrs when I got back up. Made it really nice when it rained all day and everything you had was soaking wet. We made makeshift clotheslines inside the tent (attached to the internal frame wtih 550 cord) and hung all of our stuff up. THen got the stove going really good, and all of our stuff would be dry by morning. I got the 12x14 during a speacial that they offer every month. Cost with tent, stove, and shipping from Colorado to West Virginia was 1350.00. They include all of the internal frame connectors. They also give you the dimensions to buy your own frame. Total cost for the frame was 90.00. Its basically 18 (1/2 inch EMT conduit) poles, cut to different lengths (6 of each, three different lengths). I went to a local electrical contracting supply store and bought the poles and cut them myself with a Sawzall, as this was cheaper than going to Lowes or Home Depot. Davis actually suggested that I do this rather than buy a frame from them. Total cost for the whole deal, about $1500.00.

I have called Davis probably 10 different times with random questions, including the times I got the poles all messed up and had my beams and rafters switched around and couldnt get the tent to fit the frame. They are always very friendly and helpful. I could not ask for more concerning their service.

As far as size: we had the stove, queen size blowup mattress, stack of wood, small table, all of our clothes, two chairs, and still had room for more. YOu could easily do three people in a 12x14 with your gear, but it would start to get a little cramped. FOr 4 people, go with something defintely bigger (14x16 minimum, propbably one or two sizes up). THe first thing Davis will tell you when you call is to order 1 size bigger than you think you will need. Although my 12x14 is just right for two of us and all of our gear, it fills up quick when you get basically your whole camp in it.

As far as cooking in it, I chose not to. There is definitely room, but the mice found us in short order anyway, and started eating the toilet paper rolls that I had stacked in the corner. I did not want the additional odor of food in the tent attracting more mice, or bears (which we had a problem with outside of the tent anyway). FOr the cooking, my buddy brought a foldup awning which we placed next to the tent outside, where I had the propane burner set up.

I will attach some more pictures. Let me know if you have any more questions, as I really enjoy the wall tent and am glad I spent the $ to buy it. I can set the whole thing up by myself in about an hour (stakes, ropes, etc) with no problem at all. In fact, when we left Wyoming, it was pouring the rain and I had to take the thing down and put it up wet. After the 24 hour drive back to WV, I set it up again in my backyard and am going to leave it up for a few days to dry out before I put it up again.

As far as cons: it takes up alot of space in the truck. Thats really about it. After elk hunting for 15 years in a small tent with no heat of any kind, I am really happy that I did this.

Keven

30-Sep-12

BullSac's embedded Photo
BullSac's embedded Photo

30-Sep-12

BullSac's embedded Photo
BullSac's embedded Photo

30-Sep-12

BullSac's embedded Photo
BullSac's embedded Photo

30-Sep-12

BullSac's embedded Photo
BullSac's embedded Photo

30-Sep-12
In all fairness, I went with Davis just beacuse I was comftorable with them. I assume that their competitors have a product that is just as good. I did a ton of research, and decided that Davis would get my money. The other company's were reasonably priced and had great customer service also. In the end, it was just a matter of picking one. Kind of like buying a new truck, they are all of good quality, you just like one better than the other. BTW, whatever you go with, look on Youtube for the video "Folding a Davis wall tent" (or somethin to that effect). It will save you some headache when folding this beast up.

30-Sep-12
And yes, one air mattress for two guys.

We really like each other.

Keven

30-Sep-12

DaleM's embedded Photo
DaleM's embedded Photo
Go with a 14x16 for 4 guys. We've had 6 in mine and it gets a little tight. When elk hunting we have a second tent, 12x14, for our cook tent so my tent doesn't get cluttered with all the cooking gear, tables and chairs. I use a 20x30 heavy duty plastic tarp as a rain fly. This will cover my entire tent, I extend it 2' off the back and 12' off the front. This area serves as our cooking and eating area. Found a pic of my set up, hope it posts. Get the internal frame as well. I went with a regular ridge beam, end poles and side poles for the first 15 years I owned it. Wish I would have gone to the internal frame sooner. My fabric was stretched a bit from the original set up and I don't get as good of fit at the peak as I would like now.

30-Sep-12
If you have three different size poles I would recommend using colored electrical tape or duct tape and write what each pole is for

30-Sep-12
how much is a floor for the Davis tent?

30-Sep-12
how much does a floor cost for the Davis tent?

30-Sep-12
Kelly,

You are exactly right. I also numbered each of the poles to each connector. For example, I put the number #1 on one end of the connector. I then put the number #1 on the end of the pole that should go in there. This makes it super easy to set up as long as you match up the numbers together. Certain poles fit in a certain connector differently. Once you get the right match, then number it, I can set the frame up in about 5 minutes.

30-Sep-12
We could fit more than three guys in our 14 X 16 tent but we usually have (3) large folding tables in out tent and they take up a lot of room. We have the internal frame and our ridge poles are painted green in the middle and our rafters are blue. The legs are obviously smaller. We were thinking of adding a cook shack addition on the front. I can weld up the connectors and just use a tarp for the roof and sides. We'd probably leave the front open.

30-Sep-12
Skip the floor and get some carpet instead. I use extra mantie tarps for a floor.

The frames aren't too expensive if you buy the angles and the cut conduit for the rest.

30-Sep-12
I have the Cook Shack for my 14' x 16', it is a nice addition.

Kevin

30-Sep-12
We didnt use a floor, except for a piece of carpet which was basically the same dimensions as the mattress (just to protect it). Once or twice, I thought that a floor would be nice. But the more I think about it, I kind of like just being able to walk in with wet and muddy boots and not have to worry about it. But, if I were to have a floor of some sort, a cheap painters tarp would be the way to go for me. SOmething that I could get rid of if it got too bad without costing a fortune. But probably for the next few years, I wont mind not having one.

30-Sep-12

LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
I've posted this photo, not my bou, to show the type poles Canvas Cabin out of Oregon has. They are somewhat bulky, 6.5' x 1' x 1' when packed, but I can pick them up and tuck them under my arm to carry.

Nice thing about them is that unlike the internal frame, you can use wood poles if you pack back in.

To dry clothes we tie short loops over the ridgepole and hang things on clothes hangers.

I've been using the one pictured since the mid '80's and its still in great shape.

I like the side stovepipe hole, but you can read about that elsewhere.

30-Sep-12

Buckeye_Hunter's embedded Photo
Buckeye_Hunter's embedded Photo
Ours is a 14'x17' by Montana Canvas. It can easily sleep 5 people plus all of our gear with lots of extra room. It can be set up by 2 people in about 20 minutes. It stays warm and dry, no matter what the outside temperature gets, especially with the rain fly on. No complaints here with the wall tent. We love using one.

30-Sep-12
I have 3 Davis tents love them all 8X10, 10X12,14X16. For what you are doing 14X16. All around great tent.

01-Oct-12

Darrell's Link
A buddy of mine in Albuquerque is selling a 10 X 14 with dining fly and stove for $1300. He brought it to our elk camp this year and we rolled it out just to take a good look at it as he got it from his Mother-in-law a couple years ago.

Its like new with no use at all. We already had a nice camp set up so we rolled it back up and put it back in his truck.

Anyway, he has it on craigslist at http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/spo/3297769178.html

He travels with work quite a bit so he might even be able to deliver it depending on where you are at.

01-Oct-12

standswittaknife's embedded Photo
standswittaknife's embedded Photo
We love hunting from a wall tent and really have no use for looking into a camper. Not enough room. My recommendation for purchasing one is to check craigslist. We picked one up for 350 that we stayed in this last week in Wyoming and was awesome. The tent is 16x20. You can usually pick one up cheaper on craigslist than buying new and usually get a great tent.

this picture is my tent used here in Colorado. Sitting by the fire at night is absolutely worth the price of this tent. Can't beat it..

01-Oct-12

SC Bar's embedded Photo
SC Bar's embedded Photo
I bought my tent/frame/stove package from Cylinder Stoves and couldn't be happier. It has an external frame system that is easy to set up. We pack in on horseback so we normally cut poles. It has served us well in good weather as well as rain and heavy snow. You might check them out for comparison sake.

01-Oct-12
By the way, my tent is 12 x 18 and cofortably handles 4 hunters and their gear.

01-Oct-12

Blind Sow's embedded Photo
I'll try attaching several photos of my 14' x 16' Davis tent and setup. Their fly extends 8' over the front making a nice place to cook. It has room for 4 plus a 6' table in the middle and a wood stove.

This shows the

01-Oct-12

This is a side view showing how I added tarps to the fly poles to enclose the whole fly area.

01-Oct-12
Bullsac I see some news paper by you stove that is a no-no to burn paper in your stove as it will float hot ash on top your tent and burn a hole or more (i know this for sure)

01-Oct-12

I would recommend getting a second door (with screen) plus two windows-one on each side as this helps ventilation during warmer weather.

For 4 in the tent I set my cot against the back door and then on the right two more cots can be set up. On the left one cot fits easily leaving room for the wood stove.

01-Oct-12

This shows the wood stove. I also have an internal frame. As previously mentioned Davis sent me the pole dimensions so I made them myself. I originally got their 3/4 floor but last year got their full sized floor with zipper cut out for the wood stove.

One last item. Outfitters Supply (Columbia Falls, MT) has the "tent mates" that hook on to the internal frame poles. I use them to hang my bow, axes, etc. you can see in the photo.

01-Oct-12
There is no ugly to having a wall tent! I, like many others have a 14X16 Davis. Get a internal frame with what ever tent you decide on. Gives you so much more room. It sleeps 4 comfortibly. We have 3 Davis tents in our hunting group. We have used them for September elk hunts and January late season mule deer hunts. With a good cylinder stove you can keep your tent at 70 degrees when it is 0 outside. I would also suggest a rain fly, it helps insulate as well as keeping your tent dry and clean. Find one, buy and enjoy. Big John ft

01-Oct-12
For the floor I use a tarp and then indoor/outdoor carpet on top of that. Works great! I even have an extra 10x10 piece of carpet to go under the awning on the front, makes a nice patio.

01-Oct-12
A stove trick.

Be sure to put about 1" of gravel/sand in the bottom of your stove. It holds the fire much better and protects the bottom from burn out.

01-Oct-12

twojump's embedded Photo
twojump's embedded Photo
Here's a 10 x 14 Kodiak Canvas that goes up in about 5 minutes... comes down bout the same... I know some guys who put small wood stoves in theirs... 4 people would be very tight... but could be done if you had gear stowed away someplace else.... 3 people would be no problem... almost too big for 2 guys...

01-Oct-12

twojump's embedded Photo
twojump's embedded Photo
Also have the wall tent, 12 x 15 aluminum frame with a quik kamp stove... the bees knees... but not going to put it up in 20 minutes....

With wall tents and all this is what I've learned over the years.

Camper.... very nice but storage is an issue, some sites are hard to get into... and it beats the heck out of them year after year... but it's the way to go if you can talk convince the wife you need it...

Wall tents... very nice too, but now we got a little work to do to get it up, set it up, organize everything, chop the wood, (unless you live in Oregon, they you can't even take a wood stove because of fire dange) take it down, pack it up, take it home, set it back up again to let the moisture out of it... (you must do this in a garage or shop or something or else it will rot and stink within a month).... put everything away.

That said, wall tents define elk hunting... a traditional elk hunt / tent has a way of engraving memories that a camper just won't or can't.... lots of work and you'll do it almost all by yourself, but your grandkids will thanky you for it!

01-Oct-12
Trackman, thanks for the newspaper tip. As a first year owner, its advice that this that will keep me in business for years to come!

Brunse, I am going to look into the tarp. I should be able to pick one up from a surplus store for fairly cheap.

Blindsow, excellent setup! That is how I want my camp to look someday.

This has been one of my favorite threads in a long time. The wall tent really adds something special to the experience!

Keven

01-Oct-12

JLS's embedded Photo
JLS's embedded Photo
The company Mule Power linked to is where I got my tent angles. Best price I found, and the quality isn't too bad.

Get an in-line stove damper to make your burn go longer. Word of warning, if you put a spark arrestor on your pipe and run it dampered a lot you'll plug up the screen on the arrestor. Then, you'll have to go outside in the middle of the night in your underwear and knock all the creosote off of it so it quits smoking up your tent. Or so I've been told.....

02-Oct-12
Brunse,

Have a strong buddy! Dry poles are so much easier, they are lighter and they don't flex near as much. Tie them together at the cross point before you put them up. Have ropes to tie them off to hold them. Do one brace, tie off, ridgepole with tent on it, second brace and tie off. Add your eave poles and fasten everything down.

Spruce can gum an arrestor up like you sealed it with duct tape.

02-Oct-12
Other nice part about roof tarps is snow will slide off much easier and quicker which reduces the weight and stress on the canvas and frame.

02-Oct-12

JLS's embedded Photo
JLS's embedded Photo
Also, if you have a bunch of wet clothes in the tent and the roof is wet you can get some tremendous condensation drips going on.

02-Oct-12

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
We have camped in the same spot for many years. Early on, I cut and draw knifed a set of poles for the tent that we left leaning under a spruce between seasons. We also had a perfect spot between two large aspens that acted like a corbel to support a cross piece to support the ridge pole in front. We used another vertical just inside the door, and an 'A' frame in back.

An RV awning mat works great for a floor. We never had any particular problem with stove venting, build-up on the spark arrester, or many burn holes in the tarp. But we extend the stove pipe well above the ridge.

02-Oct-12

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo

15-Oct-12
Are you guys buying the treated or untreated canvas? I'm about to pull the trigger on a 15x18 Davis.

15-Oct-12
treated...

15-Oct-12
Definitely get treated for fire and mildew.

16-Oct-12
Here is my typical archery elk setup.

2 - 10x12 tents [one cook tent/one sleeping] 1 - 8x10 sleeping tent

The 8x10 has a sewn in floor and I had an awning attached to it.

I have had the tents for many years and I treat them myself. I set them up and spray a mixture of CANVAC with a garden pump sprayer.

Photobucket

16-Oct-12
Here is the same green tent 16 years ago...

Treat 'em right and they will treat you right

Photobucket

19-Oct-12
I ordered a 14x16 tent today from Roy Davis. Great guy and great guy to talk to. Thanks for your help guys. Cant wait to get it set up.

20-Oct-12

tradi-doerr's embedded Photo
Agree with twojump, theres just something about hunting from a wall tent.

This is my Davis 10'X 12', fits 2/3 adults on cots with room to spare.

I do all my cooking out under fly or an ez-up set up just in front of tent, don't like to cook in the tent as it draws bears inside the tent when gone out hunting, they can make a real mess of things.

my stove pipe is on the side so that I can use a tarp for the fly (best waterproofer around/and no smell from chemical waterproofing),I also use double wall vent pipe for added fire protection. I made my own external from from conduit pipe (1-1/2"fence pipe & 1/2" conduit) total cost of frame $40.00.

20-Oct-12

another pic of this years elk camp

21-Oct-12
That's a sweet camp tradi-doerr... clean, simple, and functional!

21-Oct-12

stickflngr's embedded Photo
stickflngr's embedded Photo
Heres our camp from 2010.. One on the left is 14x16 and will sleep 5-6 guys easily. The other one is 12x14 and made a great kitchen. For late season you just cant beat a good wall tent......

21-Oct-12
for ease of set up I color coded my interior frame, makes set up fast,, jsut connect the same color poles to the angle set, this gives you the same set and fit every time, I used colored elect tape.. Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

22-Oct-12

sbschindler's embedded Photo
sbschindler's embedded Photo

22-Oct-12
Got a Davis 15x18 and love it!

Question...how can I keep critters from chewing holes in the tent. Tent is set up, went to camp this weekend and they chewed a hole in the storm flap!

23-Oct-12

britfan's embedded Photo
britfan's embedded Photo
Here's my set-up. Not packable but if u can drive in it is just great. Many trips up here in B?.C. in the minus 20 c with fur guys very comfy.

23-Oct-12

britfan's embedded Photo
britfan's embedded Photo
Here's my set-up. Not packable but if u can drive in it is just great. Many trips up here in B?.C. in the minus 20 c with four guys very comfy.

23-Oct-12
britfan, your idea is what I have been thinking about. Is that 4x8 plywood sides and plywood ends? What do you do inside to hold it together? More pictures inside and out please. How do you haul it and how much room does it take? I have been thinking about one that is 12 x 16 not the 24' model it looks like you have there. Is that a single tarp roof or two tarps? Thanks

23-Oct-12

britfan's embedded Photo
britfan's embedded Photo
Ok chief thanks or the interest. Yes, that is 12 x 24 with plywood sides and ends. I have made rafters and ridge pole out of top rail from chain link fencing. Actually I use three tarps for the big one and two tarps for the 12 X 16 ( just take out one 4 x 8 side piece ). The double tarp in the back end( sleeping area ) helps greatly to cut down the condensation. Made the wood stove 16 x 18 x 25 inches long to a ccomadate all the 24" stove pipes and the l's. All the other small accessories are stored inside the stove so I won't forget anything. I haul it in the back of my truck ( 8' box ) and it is made of 1/2 inch plywood except for the door which is 3/4 inch. I have since installed a window in the door and one in the back end. It all lays in the back of the truck ending below the side deck rails. The reason for the large stove is it will burn alot longer when it is full of wood for overnighter but if u are older fellas like us nature always calls sometime in the night. Hopefulll some more pics for u. Corners r held together with anle iron ( actually they are 4" flat stainles plate I had bent ) sides fatsted at the seams with 4" flat iron and the tops inside are 8' 2 x 4 on the sides and on the ends they are 4' 2 x 4's> It is all bolted together with 1/4 bolts and nuts ( using cordless drill ) takes about 3 hours to get the fire going. Hope this helps if u need more info maybe we can get in touch alittle more personally. Terry

23-Oct-12
Apparently most of the pics didn't come through. Give me your email and I will try to get more to you.

23-Oct-12
Apparently most of the pics didn't come through. Give me your email and I will try to get more to you.

24-Oct-12

Triple 3's embedded Photo

Triple 3's Link
I have been using Canvas Cabins out of Oregon for the last 12 years. They were sold to a guy in Montana last year. www.canvascabins.com I have some set up for over 2 months! They can withstand lots of wind, snow, and are water proof. Most years after October 1st I put a plastic tarp over them so the snow slides off easy. I own 7 of them. One 12x15 we use as a cook tent with a 12x18 attached for a dining tent. They are up from Sept 1st to November. Works out real well they set up easy and are double tough. Give Bob a call at 1-971-219-9000. They set up fast with aluminum poles or if you pack in they can be set up with wood poles which I think looks a lot better! They also sell a very good wood stove called the Wapita. Check em out !

Craig Bowsite sponser

24-Oct-12

Triple 3's Link
I have been using Canvas Cabins out of Oregon for the last 12 years. They were sold to a guy in Montana last year. www.canvascabins.com I have some set up for over 2 months! They can withstand lots of wind, snow, and are water proof. Most years after October 1st I put a plastic tarp over them so the snow slides off easy. I own 7 of them. One 12x15 we use as a cook tent with a 12x18 attached for a dining tent. They are up from Sept 1st to November. Works out real well they set up easy and are double tough. Give Bob a call at 1-971-219-9000. They set up fast with aluminum poles or if you pack in they can be set up with wood poles which I think looks a lot better! They also sell a very good wood stove called the Wapita. Check em out !

Craig Bowsite sponser

24-Oct-12
Great choice Coolcop, enjoy!!!:

06-Dec-12
Britfan, I am very interested in how that cabin goes together and how the roof is attached and kept tight. I don't see any place where you have rope or anything to keep the walls up. I also sent you an PM with my email so you can send more photos. If anyone else has more info I would love to get some DIY portable options before I pony up for a tradtional wall tent.

06-Dec-12
them eggs sure look good

• Sitka Gear