crankn101 21-Nov-12
Charlie Rehor 21-Nov-12
Meat Grinder 22-Nov-12
Meat Grinder 22-Nov-12
Meat Grinder 22-Nov-12
OFFHNTN 23-Nov-12
Gran 26-Nov-12
20-Nov-12
Anybody have experience using a "haybale blind"?

20-Nov-12

OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
We used them a fair amount last year and took a couple nice bucks. The deer didn't have a clue. Here is one buddy's buck.

OFFHNTN

20-Nov-12

OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
Same blind, different buddy.

OFFHNTN

20-Nov-12
A few observations, they are a bit of a pain to put on. You will need a lot of zip ties and they do leave a mess with straw all over. They are only good for about a year if you leave them out. We left ours out and now this year they have about half the straw left on them. But they worked great! You can see in the pics we put the blind between two natural hay bales for added realism. :)

OFFHNTN

20-Nov-12
I second OFFHNTN's experience.....in ranchlands or cornfields, the deer don't recognize it as "a blind." Very refreshing and very effective! They are expensive...cover them (or ideally store in a pole shed) in the off season.

Mark

21-Nov-12
Offhntn, in looking at the pictures, yours appears to be smaller (considerably) than ours....what make/model is it if you don't mind me asking? Can one person put it out...move it around?

Mark

21-Nov-12
Love them. Blind ambition out of Wisconsin makes an awesome blind. Slaughter house blinds in Iowa is another great concept.

21-Nov-12

crankn101's Link
Possibilities are endless...

21-Nov-12

crankn101's Link
Here is a roll-8'X113' for $80.

21-Nov-12

crankn101's embedded Photo
crankn101's embedded Photo

21-Nov-12
"A few observations, they are a bit of a pain to put on. You will need a lot of zip ties and they do leave a mess with straw all over. " -OFFHUNTN

I just noticed this comment.

What product did you use?

21-Nov-12
Prolly used the Midwest Haybale Blinds hay wrap they sell for ground blinds. Cost is $80. I got the same result, deadly but messy to but up!

22-Nov-12

Meat Grinder's embedded Photo
My buddy and I built one. Treated 2x4 base, OSB ends, PVC pipe frame covered with wire mesh, black visqueen, and burlap. That's my buddy sitting inside, neighbor's dog outside.

22-Nov-12

Another view. Burlap lasts about two seasons.

22-Nov-12
Haven't killed a deer out of it yet. In late October I sat in a nearby treestand and watched 5 deer walk right past it within easy bow range. Foiled again...lol. Good Hunting.

23-Nov-12
Mark Watkins - Sorry for the delay.......I've been offhntn. :) This isn't a 100% haybale blind as other are, it's a straw wrap. It is over a doublebull blind, and we cut those shooting windows in it as small as possible. I don't remember what make or model the blind wrap was, I will see if I can find out this weekend and let you know.

On another note, the two deer in the pictures I posted were killed 58 days apart. You can see the haybale blind straw has thinned in that time frame and you can see the blind material more in the second pic. Just an fyi.

OFFHNTN

26-Nov-12
Thanks for the info. Will keep me busy until next trip.

• Sitka Gear