ElkChaser 24-Dec-12
twojump 29-Dec-12
twojump 29-Dec-12
twojump 29-Dec-12
bullnbow 30-Dec-12
CD 30-Dec-12
bullnbow 30-Dec-12
21-Nov-12
I'm interested in seeing packable teepee/tents/tarps in use and the tiny stoves that go with them. Homemade or store bought whatever works! Any lessons learned would be a huge help.

Thanks guys - The DIY guys on this sight are best source of knowhow I have found!

Thanks in advance from a gratefully flatlander! LaGriz

21-Nov-12
Check kifaru.

21-Nov-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
I have a kifaru 8 man tipi and a kifaru large stove. Have a kifaru super tarp as well for solo missions. Kifaru tipis are so awesome!

21-Nov-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo

21-Nov-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Kifaru 6 man w/ Kifaru medium stove

21-Nov-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Kifaru super tarp. Light weighs 1 pound

21-Nov-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Kifaru 8 man

23-Nov-12
Nice pictures Justin!

23-Nov-12

Droptine's embedded Photo
Droptine's embedded Photo
heres mine

25-Nov-12
Great pics!! keep them coming

25-Nov-12

THE ELK REAPER's embedded Photo

25-Nov-12

25-Nov-12

25-Nov-12

25-Nov-12

25-Nov-12

25-Nov-12

25-Nov-12

25-Nov-12

25-Nov-12

25-Nov-12

26-Nov-12
Great photos Aron

26-Nov-12
Thanks Aron! Those must be the photos that were edited from the article in EE! I was reading about the tipi/stove and was like....WHERES THE PICS!? Great article, BTW.

Thanks again

26-Nov-12
Wow! Thanks to all. Great pictures Elk Reaper! I have the desire to make a spike camp on one of my next hunts. I have done some serious backpacking (long ago)and can see he advantage of camping closer to game. This puts conditioning/training at a premium. I'm not a young man... but have decent health. I will miss the "real food" of the base camp. I think I will "wet a toe" and make a few overnights and come back to base camp for a Zodi bath, good meal and nights sleep in the base camp. I'll keep an eye out for sales on some ultra-light gear.

Thanks again LaGriz

26-Nov-12

OTT2's embedded Photo
OTT2's embedded Photo
I can't compete with the ELK REAPER but I'll add one just for fun!

27-Nov-12

One more photo that is noteworthy.

27-Nov-12

primitve's embedded Photo
Stone sheep with the Kifaru 6 man (no stove)...Love Kifaru!

27-Nov-12

6 man/stove on a Grizzly float

27-Nov-12

Hillenberg 3 man...love this tent, its bomb proof and about the same weight at the Kifaru 8 man.

27-Nov-12

I took this pic from the door of the Hillenberg. Not sure if its grizzly proof, but almost found out twice. Luckily we brought the 45-70. on our bowhunt.

27-Nov-12

One last pic! Hillenberg was planted (we figured out later) on the grizzlies travel corridor. You can see the grizzly in the frame on the middle right. He was bee lining it to the tent and I started yelling at him. He walked right past it and came to 50 yds (I was throwing rocks with only a recurve in my hand) and he charged to 25 yds. Luckily he got bored and carried on. Elk Reaper...I am looking at that Kifaru 2 man lightweight shelter/stove, how is it for room for 1 man and gear (and possibly labrador)?

28-Nov-12
The Megatarp os HUGE for 2 men, so it fits one man, gear, wood and dog without issue.

The footprint is the size of a Hilleberg Nallo GT3

28-Nov-12
Pretty dang cool photo's you guys!

Good luck, Robb

28-Nov-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Kifaru 8 man

28-Nov-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
6 man

28-Nov-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Kifaru Supertarp

28-Nov-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo

28-Nov-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Sorry double picture.

Here is a Kifaru Sawtooth with Kifaru Medium stove

28-Nov-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Kifaru Sawtooth

28-Nov-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Kifaru 6 man Cold snowy outside

28-Nov-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Warm and toasty inside

28-Nov-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Supertarp

28-Nov-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Supertarp pitched on a rocky ledge

28-Nov-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo

29-Nov-12
Thanks Ermine,Primitive, and Elk Reaper for the pics and comments! just view the Titanium Goat website. Looks like quality gear (cool stove set ups) Any ideas on how they compare to Kifaru in quality and Durability? Also,do you have any history with the tent liners both of these folks offer? Is condensation often a problem? One could mix-n-match a Kifaru tent with a titanium stove don't you think? This specialized gear is far from cheap. Needed research before I pony up for such equip.is time well spent.

Once again, much thanks for you opinions Griz

30-Nov-12
Liners are definitely worth while in you ever plan to use the shelter anywhere like the Pac. N. W. or Alasksa Tim

30-Nov-12
24hourcampfire had a nice discussion on comparisons between the Kifaru and tigoat. People seemed to be equally happy with both. If you just google "kifaru and tigoat" you should be able to find the thread and there are lots of pictures of the set ups.

30-Nov-12
I have never used a liner. I know guys that have them and like them alot. Like Tim said if your in a wet area like the northwest a liner may be a good idea. I camp in Colorado and its fairly dry and I have never had a problem. I have only used Kifaru stoves so have no input on other stoves.

Yes it is pricey gear, but well worth it in my opinion. When you look at it from a wall tent perspective its not that bad. Wall tents are more expensive than the biggest kifaru tipis. the kifaru tipi is essentially a ultralight weight "wall tent" that you can pack on your back.

30-Nov-12

Wild Bill's embedded Photo
Seek Outside 8 man tipi & large titanium stove.

01-Dec-12
How do you keep the ants and the other crawly bugs out of your tipi's?

01-Dec-12
In all the years I have been using floors shelters I have never had issues with bugs. I find that they stay out pretty much. If they get in then they are free to leave whereas a floored tent they are trapped. If you are really scared of bugs then you can use a big bivy or sprinkle preanthium (think I spelled that wrong) around the edge.

Floor less tents are the only way to go. Very nice. I'll never use a floored tent again

01-Dec-12
and the rain? Wet floor?

01-Dec-12
No issues. I have camped in "flood" conditions. In super heavy rains water will sometimes come in a few inches before soaking in. It's more about where you pitch the tent. If its in a depression then yea you will get water. If you pitch it smart. No issues.

The nice thing about floorless is that you can wear your boots and shoes inside. No more worrying about taking shoes off.

If the ground is already wet then I use a piece of Tyvek to sit on and lay under my mat.

02-Dec-12
I asked this on another thread but thought I'd ask it here. Would you guys that have these take the small lightweight stove on an early season elk hunt at 9000 ft a few miles hike in Colorado or would it be wasted weight?

02-Dec-12
man these are cool.... now i want one and dont elk hunt (yet)....

02-Dec-12
My choice on a stove depends on the temperatures that you might encounter. September can get pretty cold certain years and the stove sure does make it nice going to sleep warm and changing clothes in the morning in the warmth. Other years September can be hot. When I'm talking cold in talking below freezing etc. You can also cook/boil water on the stove. I don't always take a stove but I do sometimes. Just depends on what i might encounter.

02-Dec-12
At 40 degrees with rain and snow. The weight of the stove seems minimal. I've seen snow at 9000 feet in August.

02-Dec-12
ok thanks

02-Dec-12
For a stove, do you want heat, or do you just want to boil water?

Not familiar with wood stoves for heat. But I use an Esbit to boil water. About the size of a wallet. I won't go anywhere w/o it.

02-Dec-12
Primitive...It would take the bear, I dunno, 2-3 seconds to cover that distance. That's a pucker-picture for sure!

03-Dec-12

Rick M's embedded Photo
Rick M's embedded Photo
Golite Shangri La 5 with a home built stove thanks to Beendare. Worked great in Alaska this year.

Rick M

03-Dec-12
Elk Reaper - GREAT photos!

Ermine - same as above!!

Primitive - Ditto!!

>>>>-------->

03-Dec-12

Herb's embedded Photo
Herb's embedded Photo

06-Dec-12
I like this thread and wanted it back on the main page:)!

06-Dec-12

jbell's embedded Photo
jbell's embedded Photo
Homemade tipi, didn't need the stove on this trip. ca, 8000ft ish.

06-Dec-12
Wow! Nice camp pics. Love 'em! Makes we wanna go now. I use a GoLite ShangriLa3 and love it but those Kifaru's look cool too! You can only shoot one bow at a time and I have more than one bow ...

08-Dec-12
Anyone use the Six Moon Designs Skyscape X? At only 15 ounces it has my attention.

08-Dec-12
Can we see pics of the home built stove? What does it weigh?

09-Dec-12

Gaur's Link
Here is the thread that hardcorehunter did on making his own ti stove and modifying his go lite shangrila 5

09-Dec-12
Cool pics guys.

I'm reading this thread and looking at the pictures with my 11 year old daughter who is really getting into hunting, wants to camp, and she says " these tipis must all belong to men, messy on the inside....but really cool tents, when can we get one?"

...I think I'm in trouble

09-Dec-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Tipi camping is a great time with the family! Makes "camping" fun and enjoyable!

09-Dec-12

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo

09-Dec-12
Great thread! I've been on the verge for a few years but I think I just tipped over. I will own one!

11-Dec-12
Just curious how well those stoves work?! How long will they burn before you have to stoke them? It looks great, but if you have to wake up 3-4 times per night to stoke or restart the fire, that could be a major pain in the ......................

11-Dec-12
The burn time depends on the size of the stove. But usually it's about 20-30 min stoke times for me. These stoves aren't intended to burn all night. Basically you have the stove going when your up hanging out or cooking. You go to bed warm. The stove goes out overnight (unless someone wants to keep stokin it all night). In the mornin you fire up the stove and it makes getting out of the sleeping bag and changing clothes enjoyable in the cold.

Kifaru stoves are worth their weight in gold!!

11-Dec-12
Gaur has it. That is the stove I have from Beendare. You are not going to keep the fire gong all night as Ermine stated.

I only used it once this fall to thaw ice off of our bows.

Rick M

11-Dec-12
I have been thinking about this for years. Just can;t afford the 7-$800 for stove and tent.

BUT, I just did a search and found the Shangrila for 50% off.

Gaur- thanks so much for the link! Do you know how much it cost to customize the shangri-la and build the stove?(rough estimate)

11-Dec-12

N816KC's Link
Great tutorial on addding a stovejack to an SL-5.

11-Dec-12
Boy did I get my money's worth on this thread! Thanks to all for the pictures and comments!

I'm leaning towards a Kifaru Sawtooth with a seekoutside or Titanium goat stove/pipe configuration. I like the height of the sawtooth and the usable space. The sod cloth feature of the seek outside tents is a cool feature. I can see the benefit in driving winds. I have read that the ti-goat and seek outside stoves are tighter and some are lighter or more compact. They even have kits to expand or decrease your stove for different apps! Like Ohvaco says "you can only shoot one bow" So cool to have such a good shelter that's truly packable LaGriz

11-Dec-12
Ti Goat has the stove jack for $40. You can sew it in by hand. Follow the thread I had a link to. He had the prices of what he did for the stove. I found the ti plates for $15 the other day. Ti goat has the ti foil for the pipe and you can use the 12" for the body of the stove.

I found the Shangri la 50% off but they are out of stock on golite's site. Where are you finding them? I wish I would have jumped on the sale when it came out a few months ago for $199. but I didn't have the funds at the time.

I'm seriously considering sewing my own tipi. I found the high quality silnylon in coyote at thruhiker.com. They also have the waterproof zippers.

12-Dec-12
Dang, I didn;t see that, Gaur! OUT OF STOCK :(

I guess I'll have to keep looking. But I think at some point in the future, I will have a tipi and stove!

It tends to ALWAYS rain when I am on a camping/fishing/hunting trip! Would be great to be able to dry clothes and heat up inside the tent when it is lousy outside!

Thanks for all the info, guys!

12-Dec-12

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
It rained every day except the last day on my first Elk Hunting trip! This was the daily ritual in the afternoon(drying clothes). Luckily, they were all passing storms!

But it would be nice NOT having to lay out all the wet gear in the sun to dry! ;-)

13-Dec-12
I wouldn't put game heads near a tent nor would I cook in or near a tent in bear country. Nor would I hang food nearby. A bear could go through those tents in a few seconds. Canvass tent might be a bit harder for a bear, but then that's not the type of tent you'd use for backpacking unless you had a horse to bring it in.

14-Dec-12

They don't tear as easy as you might think, but a bear can make a mess of a lightweight tipi. I had a bear visit mine 4 times this elk season. Twice while I was sleeping in it, which made for some exciting nights. Fifteen claw holes needed repair.

14-Dec-12
wild bill you have a story to tell sir!!

you cant just mention something like that

14-Dec-12
That's gotta' be nerve racking! Wonder how much a thicker canvass tent would dissuade a bear? I don't think I could make quick progress even trying to open some canvass tents even with a machete. Perhaps a grizzly could slice right through with his claws, but maybe not and some of that canvass is thick enough if the tent collapsed a bear might not be able to take a bite through it very easily.

14-Dec-12
Canvas doesn't stop bears any easier, this was the first year the bears didn't mess up camp/wall tent. bears are very strong and it doesn't take much for them to rip it open. I'll try to find photo's again to post. as mentioned DON'T give them a reason to come in.

17-Dec-12
The bear story is long, since we had 4 incidents, but here are the highlights. Hanging the food 12ft. up and 5 ft. out did nothing to stop this bear. He would climb the tree, jump, grab on and fall to the ground with the food bags, breaking large branches off a deadfall below. He ate almost everything but the MREs. I left the tipi doors open during the day in case he wanted to check it out, but he still clawed it up. He bit into everything plastic whether it had food in it or not. He visited us twice in the night, coming right up and clawing on my side of the tipi one of the times. I woke up and yelled "Hey the bear is back", which woke up only one of my two hunting partners. I unzipped the tent and didn't see the bear when I peeked out. So I stepped out and the bear was around the side of the tent 6 ft. away. I shined my surefire light at him and he ran off. My buddy had a bear tag and pistol along and shot him at first light when he came back again.

18-Dec-12
The bear didn't eat the MREs, that's funny and telling at the same time...

19-Dec-12
Wow!

19-Dec-12

Shiras's Link
I know this is a little off topic for this thread, but here is a kind of cool new little stove for keeping any electronics charged...

19-Dec-12
The bear didn't eat the MREs, that's funny and telling at the same time...

+1

It had to be a bear. If it was city hunter, he would have ate the MRE's!

22-Dec-12
The only time I spent in a Tp tent was with two other guys. The tent had no roof vent or a condensation liner or stove. Also no floor liner.

That night is snowed 6 wet inchs and the snow stuck to the sides of the tent not allowing any moisture to excape.

Our body moisture and other ground moisture had no way to vent and condensation formed and water droplets rained down during the night.

The two other guys had water proof bivy sacks to cover their bags, but I only had my down sleeping bag which got wet during the night. Out side the ground and trees were snowcovered and damp and the air thick with fog.

I had to leave camp the next day and head down the mountain to dry out.

No doubt that a stove and or a condensation liner would have helped.

23-Dec-12

Flatbow's embedded Photo
Flatbow's embedded Photo
6 man w/stove. have used it 3 times here in Alaska, once in the Alaska Range, once on Kodiak Island and once in the Chugach range. For here, the liner is a must...

23-Dec-12

fnshtr's Link
If you are talking about small cookstoves... here is mine. The Optimus Crux. Some people don't like the canister type stoves, but this one works well for me. You do have to carry the spent canister out.

One 8oz. canister will last me a few days with a companion (Instant Oats for BF and MH meals for supper).

It weighs ounces and has worked well for me up to about 11,000 ft.

23-Dec-12
Sorry... the new photobucket is a pain! I had one photo of the stove put together and one of it bagged. Stored, it is slightly larger than my billfold... and that includes one 4 oz. canister, the stove, a 2 cup cooking pot and a small pan (lid).

23-Dec-12
Great info and pics . Wild Bill , I bet that felt great to take that persistant sob out! Ha !

24-Dec-12
Cant find my pics, but Golite Shangri La 5 3.65 Lbs ($199), Ti goat small box stove 2.88 ($300, stove boot $30). I think they might be a little more now. 6.53 lbs total for a nice dry place to sleep. Room for two easily with tons of gear and wood. 3 people a little tight.

24-Dec-12

ElkChaser's embedded Photo
ElkChaser's embedded Photo
Big Agnes Ultralight 2 Person 3 lb. and a Kelty Noah's Tarp 12 2 lb 8 oz.

29-Dec-12

twojump's embedded Photo
twojump's embedded Photo
BA SL2

29-Dec-12

twojump's embedded Photo
twojump's embedded Photo
Gear Guide 2 person backpack tent

29-Dec-12

twojump's embedded Photo
twojump's embedded Photo
Rainer II 2-person

30-Dec-12

bullnbow's Link
im thinking about pulling the trigger on this guy. the tent has some quirks such as the low back, poor ventilation, and grommets but for a 100 dollar tent at 1 pound 2.7 oz its almost identical to the paratipi. check it out!!

or maybe the warbonnet super fly. its a great A frame with small doors but could be used for many situations.

both could have a stove jack added.

30-Dec-12

CD's embedded Photo
CD's embedded Photo
I've been pleased with the function of my Appy Trails tarp tent. I did reinforce the grommets though.. one had starting tearing so I reinforced them all during the off season. I will continue to use it as my backpacking bivy. No room carry a stove for heat... too heavy. All I use is an Esbit stove to cook with.

CD

30-Dec-12
CD can you share more? is that the 3 or 5? do you have any more pictures and user experience you can share? i need a largish one man with the capability of sleeping two if i need. does not have to be roomy enough for gear and two for a couple nights but more of an emergency use. i would also like to be able to sit up a bit.

• Sitka Gear