Clutch 22-Dec-12
12yards 26-Dec-12
Don 26-Dec-12
CurveBow 28-Dec-12
fuzzy 28-Dec-12
21-Dec-12

ElkBowhunter's embedded Photo
ElkBowhunter's embedded Photo
This deer was shot at 20 yards quartering to the shooter. It went 40 yards and fell over dead. Sure looks a bit back to me. Common comment has been well the deer is dead. I know all that just wanted to get some feedback on it. thanks!!

21-Dec-12
The shooter got lucky and hit that artery that run below the spine..... not a great shot though.

21-Dec-12
thanks! ya think it hit guts? sure looks like to me

21-Dec-12
liver?

21-Dec-12
C beck X2 That shot will put deer down faster than just about any other shot...but no, missed the sweet spot by 7 or 8 inches.

21-Dec-12
There are several artieries that you can get 'lucky" and hit. Count your blessings when it works out in your favor. But if slightly quartering-to?....it was a good 10" to a foot off tothe right and a little high. But....like I said, take it when you get it.

21-Dec-12
What is up with the head section of that deer, looks like she's carrying a coyote?

21-Dec-12
Ha! Leaf or branch I think

21-Dec-12
C.Beck X3.

21-Dec-12
i got lucky with that shot this year too... i deflected off of a branch and hit a major artery... lucky lucky lucky....

21-Dec-12
If he hadn't lucked out and hit the artery, he would never have found that deer. Maybe after the buzzards and yotes got to her or if he had a really good tracking dog the next day.

21-Dec-12

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
Jack Harris's embedded Photo
C. Beck 100% spot on.... I believe that is the same artery that runs into the leg? (Femoral)

Anyone hits that it's luck, and be thankful.

This well-traveled (on bowsite) diagram pretty much spells it out...

21-Dec-12
Thanks I keep hearing its a liver shot. Artery sounds more accurate. Liver shot goes farther than 40 yards right?

21-Dec-12
Lucky, not good. He most likely hit either the aorta or the renal vessels, possibly also transecting or lacerating the superior mesenteric artery. All of the major blood vessels in the abdomen branch off the aorta which is just below the spinal column. Jack Harris the femoral artery is the name given to the arteries in the proximal hindquarter after they leave the pelvis (they are named the iliac arteries within the pelvis).

Interestingly, the orientation of the arteries feeding the viscera in relation to the spine is one of the reasons people do so much more poorly than deer when shot in the gut. When a human being is shot in the gut, the projectile tends to travel towards the spine, (because people are usually facing straight towards or straight away from the shot) getting closer and closer to the major blood vessels which are, again, all coming off the aorta close to the spine. On a deer, though, the viscera are all "hanging" down off the spine, and a projectile will tend to go across them without encroaching much on the major vessels.

21-Dec-12
To answer the question NO it is not a good shot. it has been made and has worked but as other have said it would be very lucky to kill the deer quickly, a gut shot is nearly always lethal but it has its complications that should be avoided.

22-Dec-12
That illustration isn't very accurate. I don't see the void.

22-Dec-12
Good thing this thread was in ALL CAPS or I wouldn't have noticed it:)

When I see those front shoulder bone charts I believe the bones are too far forward for practical real time situations. I'm old school but I aim back from the leg a few inches.

22-Dec-12
Ditto C.Beck

26-Dec-12
LOL @ midwest. You potstirrer you!

26-Dec-12
artery.

28-Dec-12
Lucky shot that clipped the femoral artery or the kidneys. I hit a nice buck a few inches farther forward adn a bit lower; seming to be a solid liver hit this year. The arrow was coated in blood and had no gut smell. Tracked him about 300 yards 3 hours after the hit, came to 3 beds in a 15 foot span and the trail ended. Could not find another drip of blood. Grid searching with 3 of us found nothing more, then I searched for 6 hours the next day, again to no avail.

Deer search, a NYS group licensed to use dogs to track wounded deer, told me that in their experience 1/2 of liver hit deer are dead within 4 hours; the other half can live for 8 or more hours. It all depends on where you hit the liver; peripheral hit, center hit, etc.

>>>>----------->

28-Dec-12
I hit a feral sow about there once, she barely made it 30 yards, cut the renal artery and bled... like a stuck...pig...

• Sitka Gear