mark land 21-Jan-13
IdyllwildArcher 21-Jan-13
jbf1909 21-Jan-13
Jack Harris 21-Jan-13
fuzzy 22-Jan-13
wild1 22-Jan-13
TradbowBob 22-Jan-13
20-Jan-13
Where I hunt in North Florida bear are a problem. I assume that they will eat deer feed pellets.The bear have destroyed a number of feeders and would probably trash a gravity feeder or trough Can you put deer feed in a broadcast feeder. If so, do you mix it with corn and in what portions?

21-Jan-13
depends whats in the feed. Some will clog it up

21-Jan-13
If bears are tearing up your troughts, and gravity feeders, they'll probably do teh same with a broadcast feeeder - and probably quicker.

But to answer your question: Yes, you can, but you'll need to ensure you've got a funnel inside the barrel to keep feed from stacking p bottom/sides.

As for type of feed - try using Antler Max' Golden Nuggets. They've round and about the size of corn, can be used alone, or in combination with corn (you choose the ratio).

Nuggets hold up to humidity fairly well. Since they have a berry-like scent, you're biggest challenge will be to keep bears away.

21-Jan-13
Bears are a serious nuisance problem to us in middle GA they tear up anything they can get to. You definitely cannot have anything on the ground and we are forced to hang our hog feeders 10-12ft off the ground suspended between 2 trees but even then they climb the trees and swat at the feeders. Have tore up 2 feeders a blind, 2 cameras and a ladder stand so far. They also take over feed sites and run all the deer and hogs off as well. Big problems! Even wrapping barb wire around the trees does not keep them from climbing so at a loss to figure out what to do about them. Costing all us lease guys and land owners alot of money each year!

21-Jan-13
"at a loss to figure out what to do about them."

I have an idea!

>>>----------> Bear <---------<<<

21-Jan-13
Regarding bears and feeders. The best think I have found is a 4 ft., 1x2 board with 2" nails every 1 1/2 - 2 inches. secured to the tree. I replaced 5 feeder last year that were suspended between trees. I tried barbed wire and carpet strips. Also, remove the winch handle.

My question is if there is any deer feed that bears will not eat?

21-Jan-13
weather they destroy your feeders or not, they will still come and monopolize the feed, and it will negatively condition the deer regardless...

In this situation - NOT BAITING AT ALL is the best solution and plant somethiing that only deer will eat as an attractant...

22-Jan-13
good for the bears (my opinion)

22-Jan-13
Are you trying to kill a bear, a deer, or both....?

22-Jan-13
Bears are omniverous, so they will eat anything they can get their teeth into.

I suppose you could set a metal pole in concrete and hand a feeder from that. But they would probably eat the pole.

TBB

• Sitka Gear