OTT2 19-Mar-13
welka 20-Mar-13
turkulese 20-Mar-13
weighttrain_2000 22-Mar-13
azarchery 22-Mar-13
17-Mar-13
I would really like to see some of your homemade tree stand designs (photos). I currently have a hang on stand that isn't very comfortable and it's nearly impossible to shoot off both sides of the tree. Thanks in advance....

18-Mar-13

forkehornreggie's embedded Photo
forkehornreggie's embedded Photo
I built two of these at my property.

18-Mar-13
I set two of these in my elk country.

I shot 2 elk out of this one in 2011

photo CK_ladderstand-1_zps99dd59f0.jpg

18-Mar-13

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
The other one...

18-Mar-13
In 1989, I spent 3 days in a hospital with a compression fracture in a vertabrae. My homemade stand which I had used 100's of times collapsed and I hit the ground.

#1-ALWAYS wear a safety belt

#2- Unless it is a stand like forkhorn's, (Note: it needs a safety/mesenger rope w/prussic hitch to clip onto and a pull rope for your bow) I am not climbing into a homemade stand.

A good mfg stand is cheaper than a hospital or a funeral.

18-Mar-13
If you are planing on hunting in the future,only a fool would climb in any stand without a saftey harness or belt!! Z was lucky I had a buddy who wasn't.

18-Mar-13
Unless you are real handy and can weld aluminum making your own stand is not going to be a better deal. It is highly recommended you do not build one in a tree with wood, nails or screws the wind moves the trees loosens the nails and creates a very dangerouse situation. a store bought stand most always is the better deal. there are certainly lots to choose from. even the cheapie chinese stands are'nt to bad. and as said b4 always use a safety belt most times you get one when you buy a new stand.

18-Mar-13
Tried to reply to this thread and somehow brought up an old thread "homemade tree stands". Anyway I have some pics of some of the ones I've built in that thread.

18-Mar-13
"In this day and age of technology...Homemade tree stands remind me of the SNL skit for Bad Idea Jeans."

If you have the ability, why not build your own and save some serious coin? No way I would have bought all the stands I own. I feel more secure in a stand I built myself, to my specifications, and paid close attention to every detail. Much more secure than a mass produced stand built who-knows-where by who-knows-who.

18-Mar-13
midwest X2

18-Mar-13

cnelk's Link
Here is an option for those that dont know how to build stuff and want to be REALLY safe

18-Mar-13
If you can make one significantly less than you can buy one and don't have a lot of time in it, I would like to see it. Growing up we used to make our own hang on's and ladders. If you do the math and build them right, you don't save much and have a lot of time tied up in them. All in all you don't gain much at all in my opinion.

18-Mar-13
Back before treestands were ubiquitously commercially available, we built "Baker" style climbers from mail-order plans. They worked great on aspens, never had a problem with any.

Now my hunting partner welds up awesome comfortable, portable hang-on stands with adjustable bottom pegs to fit crooked or leaning trees. I'm not sure it saves any money but he has the time to do it.

I will say that commercial hang-on stands have come a long way in the comfort department in the past few years. Must be to address the obesity epidemic, especially in the South.

8^)

18-Mar-13
"All in all you don't gain much at all in my opinion."

I kept track of the cost every component of my stands. My aluminum fold ups cost me a little over $24 each. Of course, that was many years ago and today they would be significantly more. I didn't consider my labor because it was an enjoyable project and I gained much satisfaction in doing it myself. Same as I did when I built my bow press and draw board.

18-Mar-13

huntmaster's embedded Photo
huntmaster's embedded Photo
Here's a pic of a stand I built and installed behind my house. They have 20' treated 2x4 ladders, 48" wide and have a large platform. I also used "Trex" decking boards I had left over from my deck to complete the platform. They will last many years and cost 1/3 of the price of a new steel/alum manufactured one.

I also added a climbing rope and a prussic knot to each of them. You clip in at the ground and are protected as you climb. I would rather forget my bow than forget clipping in when I crawl into my stand.

18-Mar-13
I don't have any pictures, but I have made several of my treestands. They work great and I feel safe in them... very safe. Most manufactured ladderstands tend to bend... mine do not. If I can I'll go out this week and get some pictures.

One thing I have come to love for my treestands are t-posts (fence posts), they are great for steps and for gripping. I believe I can get 4 steps out of one t-post and you can pick those up for cheap or free.

My treestands are heavy... it takes 2 guys to set them up, but they are there until the tree comes down.

18-Mar-13
I've built several stands like the smaller ones above, two are still standing (15 years). they work. I figured the cost and my labor it was more expensive than the cheap ladder stands they sell today and a lot harder to move. But if you have the material free and the time to spend, they work. Also I have had two near falls in a deer stand in 30 years, both were in these home made wooden ones. They get slippery with age. Had a step break once too. I don't use them anymore.

19-Mar-13
"Must be to address the obesity epidemic, especially in the South."

LOL!!!! Lou, that is some funny stuff!

19-Mar-13
I built 30 to 50 home made in my life. But with today sale after xmas on ladder stands at both walmart or dicks, I suggest not to build yourself, they are not the thing to do they just are not safe over time, Had one between 3 tress for several years and each year prior to hunting season I would check out each stand, I found most need more nails or screw nails put in as the winds moves the trees and over time causing nails to pull pot. If you like back get the 2 man ladder stands, Just put good chains from Harbor fright for a heavy 15 chain is less that 5 bucks on sale and a good lock...never had one taken with a chain and lock on it.

19-Mar-13

OTT2's embedded Photo
OTT2's embedded Photo
Here's one I found in a wilderness area!

Crafted with readily available products!

20-Mar-13
Fortunate enough to have experimented with lots of homemade,portable, ladder, climber, natural, etc. Too many websites with low prices for great ladder stands. That's all I buy now. Good luck.

20-Mar-13
Are we talking wooden stands here... or metal ones? I believe if you know how to weld you can build a treestand better and safer than any on the market.

22-Mar-13

weighttrain_2000's embedded Photo
This is a stand my buddy built.

22-Mar-13

I really like this design and it's very sturdy.

22-Mar-13

Here's the roof. The only thing I don't like about this stand is the extension ladder.

22-Mar-13
that tree stand is bigger then some bivy hunt camps i've seen. lol

• Sitka Gear