Buff 31-Jul-13
Ken Moody 18-Oct-13
Ken Moody 03-Dec-13
Cola Blanca 03-Dec-13
Medicinemann 03-Dec-13
Ken Moody 03-Dec-13
Ken Moody 09-Feb-14
31-May-13
FYI...I am going into Mozambique this year to look over two areas and camps for elephant and buffalo hunting. One is the same area where Marty took his elephant. I believe the elephant area will provide the least expensive, best quality for money hunt for elephant available on the continent so don't book those hunts yet. Once I look over the areas and work out the details, etc., I will provide a full post of what's on offer with pricing. This is just a heads up for anyone contemplating an inexpensive elephant hunt. Don't forget, however, that these hunts are for non-importable elephant. No part of the animal can be imported into the US.

Ken Moody

31-May-13
Ttt

02-Jun-13
good luck Ken It is some tough country but there are LOTS of Elephants to chase or be chased by

02-Jun-13
Ken... Are these going to be bow only hunts?

02-Jun-13
Yes, I'm familiar with the area having hunted all around it and it is thick and nasty.

Any legal weapon may be used.

Ken Moody

03-Jun-13
Ken, Thought you quit hunting buff in the razor grass? Too scary.

03-Jun-13
There's no razor grass in these areas.

05-Jun-13
Ken, in retrospect, bow hunting cape buffalo Coutada 10's swamps and razor grass is not the smartest thing I've ever done. Remember the herd stampeding all around us...I sure do. Give me the jess over the swamp/razor grass every time.

By the way, weren't you looking for some of the old Anderson broadheads. I actually have some of them, Anderson 365s. Let me know if they would help you out.

Richard Baggett

06-Jun-13
Yes, and doing it dozens of times as I did had me questioning my sanity. Great hunting no doubt but with a bow, the most dangerous hunt in Africa by far. It's jess hunting for me now. I would at least like a little bit of room to "negotiate" with the animal if necessary.

Ken Moody

06-Jun-13
Boy, when the boss man gets going, he GETS GOING!!

06-Jun-13
Not being able to see over the razorgrass would make anyone feel secure :)

06-Jun-13
Are you implying that Mr Lefemine is vertically challenged? LOL

06-Jun-13
Ken...I've never questioned your "insanity"... I'm with Pat...For me, the razor grass was a piece of cake....it was the Jess where the buff almost got me!

07-Jun-13
I'll share some love.

That Cape Buffalo hunt you did was unbelievable. That was AFRICA. You were out there amoungst the beasts making it happen. 180 degrees different than 95% of every other "safari" that is promoted as a wild AFrican experience. No blinds, troughs, bales, pick lists, or mount collecting mentaility on that adventure. No Lion King parade of ten different species sauntering by like they are lining up for Noah to open the door to the Ark.

That was an African hunt the way it was meant to be. It was really eye opening as to what the Dark Continent can be for a bowhunter.

07-Jun-13
I'm not saying our 'Bowsite Commander' is short but Peter Dinklage did Pm him asking for his pants back :)

Razor grass is dangerous as it provides zero cover, only concealment. When the buff charge in your direction, there isn't anywhere to hide. On several occasions when hunting in it we were amongst a stampede of hundreds of buffalo mere yards away and we couldn't see anything. At any moment they could have charged thru the grass and literally been in our laps. You don't have any reaction time or any vision to what's going on. You just hear the stampeding herd right in front of you or behind you and at times, all around you. Richard Baggett (Baggr01) and I were 23 yards away from a herd that stretched out forever. We estimated 150 buffalo. When they winded us they spooked and all of them began to stampede all around us. They were everywhere. You can try and do your best Jesus impression and run out of it but when you're in water from your ankles to your knees it is difficult. Imagine the Old Westerns on TV when the cattle stampede. Now imagine being in the middle of that in 8 feet of grass. Yes, it's adventurous and amazing and all of that but it is inherently dangerous as well.

Cory, other than heat stroke that one day we didn't have any problems on your hunt. I remember looking at the GPS and realizing we were three miles from the Argo in blistering heat and humidity and as we were walking and wading the only thing that came to my mind was 'Bataan' :)

Ken Moody

07-Jun-13
You didn't come out the day when things got "interesting" in the razor grass. We were in the middle of a 100 animal stampede when I shot mine. STILL not as crazy as the charge in Zim though...

I've about had my fill of Buff hunting, but WILL return to do that Leopard hunt sometime...Gotta get rid of this sheep bug first!

Elephant is still "on the list"...

21-Jul-13
Just returned from Mozambique and inspecting areas. The elephant concession is around 300,000 acres and includes 42 miles of Limpopo River frontage. Lots and lots of hippo and croc. Met with the local chief and other locals in the area. They are all helpful in locating elephant and reporting their whereabouts. Will post all the details when I get them sorted but I can say the trophy fees here will be really inexpensive.

Ken Moody

21-Jul-13
Just returned from Mozambique and inspecting areas. The elephant concession is around 300,000 acres and includes 42 miles of Limpopo River frontage. Lots and lots of hippo and croc. Met with the local chief and other locals in the area. They are all helpful in locating elephant and reporting their whereabouts. Will post all the details when I get them sorted but I can say the trophy fees here will be really inexpensive.

Ken Moody

21-Jul-13

Ken Moody

21-Jul-13
Sorry for triple post. WiFi here is iffy today.

21-Jul-13

Ken Moody's embedded Photo
Enjoying a snack in a local "town."

21-Jul-13

Village of local chief. This area is all communal and the locals help in elephant location. The chief of the tribe is a definate asset.

21-Jul-13

Part of the 42 miles of Limpopo frontage.

21-Jul-13

Will post more photos when I return to US.

25-Jul-13
2014 Prices

Daily Rates: $1000 pp/pd

Trophy Fees: Elephant (non-exportable) $1000.....Hippo $1100.....Croc $1000

Permit Fees: Elephant $2000.....Hippo $2200.....Croc $1660

Additional Fees: Hunting License $250.....Gun Permit $250 (if bringing rifle).....Visa $85.....Transport J'burg & Back $500

The elephant hunt requires a ten day minimum booking making the safari $13,000 inclusive of daily rate,trophy fee and permit fee. The area borders the Limpopo National Park and runs 42 miles southeast along the Limpopo River. Expect to be in elephant almost every day with shots of sub 20 yards. Clients will receive an elephant hair bracelet from the tail of their ele plus photos with tusks. Tusks are also weighed if the client wants replicas done, approx. $200.

25-Jul-13
Sounds like an incredible hunt Ken. And at a great price to boot! Good luck with these, I would think they will go fast. If I wasn't in "sheep mode", I'd jump all over this one.

25-Jul-13
heck of a value for a get out and chase em' type of african hunt.

26-Jul-13
Yes, this is the best quality, least expensive elephant hunt in Africa. Plus, you can try and add hippo and/or croc for the modest trophy fees as well. I booked an Australian bowhunter yesterday coming for 14 days and trying for all three. These rates are cheap now but like everything else in Africa, once we start banging away and others see what's going on, rates will go up.

Ken Moody

26-Jul-13
Ken,

Are the elephants PAC animals since the hunter is not able to retain the tusks? Looks like a very interesting hunting opportuntity especially for all three animals.

26-Jul-13
American hunters cannot import any tusks from Mozambique regardless of designation but these elephant are classified as non-exportable. They are not PAC.

Ken

28-Jul-13

Base camp located a few kilos from the Limpopo. Here's one of the chalets.

28-Jul-13

More photos.

28-Jul-13

28-Jul-13

16 ft. Crocodile taken last year.

28-Jul-13

Big Hippo

28-Jul-13

46 pd. Elephant

28-Jul-13

Another Elephant

28-Jul-13

Another shot of camp

28-Jul-13

Spike Camp used as needed

30-Jul-13

Buff's embedded Photo
Buff's embedded Photo
Glad you were able to get things set up. one of the coolest hunts I have ever been on. New lodging looks great also.

30-Jul-13
Glad you were able to get things set up. one of the coolest hunts I have ever been on. New lodging looks great also.

30-Jul-13

30-Jul-13

30-Jul-13

Buff's embedded Photo
Buff's embedded Photo

30-Jul-13
2x

31-Jul-13

Buff's embedded Photo
Buff's embedded Photo
All the folks I met over there were great to be around

31-Jul-13

Buff's embedded Photo
Buff's embedded Photo

31-Jul-13

Buff's embedded Photo
Buff's embedded Photo

31-Jul-13

Buff's embedded Photo
Buff's embedded Photo

18-Oct-13
We have six clients booked so far for '14 on this hunt. Can take a few more in May if anyone else is interested.

Ken

03-Dec-13
The hunts are fully booked now for '14 and Ray from VPA is running out of broadheads :)

Ken Moody

03-Dec-13
Ken this hunt looks like a load of fun at a great price. I hope you and your clients have a super time!

As an aside, I have noticed there is some discussion in this thread about Hippo hunting there. My question is, has Mozambique straightened out their CITES export issue in regard to Hippo, or are Hippo trophies still non-exportable?

03-Dec-13
Last I heard, still unimportable.....

03-Dec-13
I have not been updated yet as to whether or not the country and CITES has sorted out their paperwork yet.

09-Feb-14
Our elephant quota is fully booked for 2014 and we are now booking 2015. Picked up 2 bookings this week in Vegas so our '15 quota is also beginning to be taken. Anyone interested in this hunt for '15 should contact me for further info.

Ken

• Sitka Gear