Hunts_with_stick 28-Oct-13
Caddisflinger 30-Oct-13
weekender21 30-Oct-13
brettpsu 30-Oct-13
JLS 30-Oct-13
26-Oct-13

Florida Mike's embedded Photo
I recently did a 2 part DIY sheep hunt. I didn't kill one so if your looking for hero shots check another thread. I think some guys may get hope from my story so that's the main reason I'm writing this. It hurts to re-live it but it was an adventure!

I was notified 2 years ago(that's right) that I was drawn to hunt sheep in Idaho. It was my first time to hunt sheep! I was ecstatic! I started training with my daughter and noticed my chest hurt when I'd get my heart rate up. Had a regular check up and was referred to a heart doctor that promptly installed 2 heart stints in the "widow maker" artery! EVERYBODY told me to give the tag back! But me being the hardhead I am I kept it. A month later the unit caught fire from a lighning strike and the GOV closed it down. Idaho offered me a "rain check" for next year and I took it.

I continued to train but I also have feet issues so my training was minimal. I really thought this was gonna be brutal since I couldn't train much.

Anyway here is some pics.

26-Oct-13
Was this a failed gun or bow hunt? Unsuccessful might have been a better choice of words.

26-Oct-13

I'm 52 BTW. So if some of you guys think you can't hunt sheep just read my story and maybe you'll change your mind. I hooked up with a guy that had hunted the unit before and was successful and he offered to help so I thought my chances just got better! He couldn't hunt the first week so we met the second week of the season and got to it.

26-Oct-13

So things were looking good on the second day when these hitchhikers wouldn't get out of the road. This particular unit has a gravel road that goes 30 miles through the unit so you can glass a huge area.

26-Oct-13

End of the day!

26-Oct-13

So day after day we rode up and down the road stopping and glassing all day long. My neck needs surgery to recover from looking up up up!

26-Oct-13

We glassed until I can say without ANY predjudice, I hate gray rocks!

26-Oct-13

We saw a few ewes and lambs on the first trip out. Didn't see one ram. If somebody recognizes the scenery please don't identify the unit as my friend that helped me is the one who told me about it and he doesn't want it revealed. Frankly I wouldn't recommend this unit based on the numbers of sheep I saw and from what the locals said about it.

26-Oct-13

The scenery was incredible! We hiked up a couple of drainages and explored a little but there just wasn't a lot of sheep left in the unit since the fire. We also didn't see a lot of damage from the fire. It looked like the new growth was very good. Maybe in a few years it will get back to normal.

26-Oct-13
Mike,

Very nice post. It just proves the power of desire and determination. You got to experience an adventure that many can only dream about. Hopefully, another time in the future.

26-Oct-13

This country has some brutal drainages.

26-Oct-13

There was some very interesting history in this area. Lot of gold and copper mines. A few old homesteads.

26-Oct-13

Its amazing what these sheep can traverse.

26-Oct-13

Second trip started Oct 5th. Saw the snow and got excited! First trip was brutally hot; 80s everyday.

26-Oct-13

My new friend Dan! the best thing about hunting with someone is the camaraderie. I laughed till my sides hurt. Dan tried every way possible to heat a pop tart! He was entertaining to say the least. But he does have eyes like a hawk!

26-Oct-13

Finally saw a ram while out glassing on the second trip! Not a big ram but I would have been proud to kill it with a bow!

26-Oct-13

A bridge into the wilderness! We walked across to get another vantage point to glass our unit. Really nice handi-work to build that wooden monster. It was about 300 yards long and can handle horses traversing it without problem. Again if you guys recognize it please keep it to yourself.

26-Oct-13

Already been talkin to the wife about going back next year to do a rafting trip!

26-Oct-13

Gotta include the rainbow! Even if there was a troll at the end!

26-Oct-13

Another kazillion rocks to examine...

26-Oct-13

Can you spot the sheep in this pic?

I couldn't either! LOL

26-Oct-13

Absolutely beautiful scenery.

26-Oct-13

I hope this pic loads. On the 17th day I finally got a shot at this little half curl. He was at 65 yards and I aimed a little high. He ducked at the shot and I hit him at the top of his back. We blood trailed for over 7 hours through the scariest mountains I've ever seen. Dan is part bloodhound! We finally ran out of blood and tracked him a little further before giving up. That night we looked at the tape on his laptop and saw it was really high and that sheep would live easily. It was bittersweet...

26-Oct-13
Nice photos. Post some more!

26-Oct-13

So in the end(notice the backside of the sheep) it was another incredible adventure. I know many will say I was wrong to try and hunt sheep even though I was in poor shape. I disagree, I made memories that will last a lifetime. While I do enjoy killing animals there is far more to hunting than just that. My one thought that I'd like to leave you with is this; No matter what your station is in life, no matter what physical problems you may have, if your able too, you owe it to yourself to at least try to make your dreams come true.

One thing I didn't share was my abnormal blood count. Its really low so I cant climb much without stopping to rest a minute then proceed on. My point is if I can still do a sheep hunt most anybody can! Just get out there and "do your best and forget the rest"!

Dan if you read this I want to publicly thank you for helping me and sharing in an adventure I'll remember for the rest of my life. Goodluck to everyone! Mike

26-Oct-13
great pics! that's a success story if i ever heard one. good job Mike!

26-Oct-13
Mike,

Good story....great close.

26-Oct-13
Mike-I would hunt with you any day man. Impressive attitude and write-up.

You definitely "get" it. Congrats on an epic adventure!

26-Oct-13
Good job sticking with it Mike!

Better to hunt and not kill than to not hunt at all.

26-Oct-13
Congratulations on another great hunt, Mike!

26-Oct-13
Mike, Nice story and pics. Those mountain hunts can be tough! Thanks for sharing.

26-Oct-13
Did somebody say "rafting trip"???

26-Oct-13
Great hunt! Thanks for sharing

26-Oct-13
Great pictures and an even better attitude on "what it's all about"! Funny how TBM has advice on how something should read!!

DJ

26-Oct-13
Why do I get the impression I might get blasted for "rafting trip" ??? LOL, Mike

26-Oct-13
Im still waiting for the pain part ? Is that ram not on level ground by a cabin ,, HMM u told me u never miss !!! On a positive note u saved a ton of coin on the taxi bill !!!!

26-Oct-13
Great stuff, Mike!

26-Oct-13
good try mike. You lived the dream man

26-Oct-13
Nice story

26-Oct-13
Cool Stuff even if you weren't successful. The area looks familiar! A bighorn hunt is on my bucket list! Looks like there could be some good flyfishing on that raft trip you said you are going to take!

26-Oct-13
Beautiful country and great story. Hope to get after sheep some day.

26-Oct-13
Great hunt Mike... congrats on the adventure. Dan is good people. Sounds like you gave it your best. Fantastic photos. Ed F

26-Oct-13
Thanks for the great read and photography...river looks like the kind of place I'd like to fly-float a 'hopper or caddis fly down someday.

Pretty, for sure.

26-Oct-13
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Nick

26-Oct-13
Nice story and pictures!

26-Oct-13
Mike,

Epic. What an adventure. This is what it (hunting and life) is all about. Thank you for sharing. Good luck on your deer hunt.

Lenny

27-Oct-13

Outdoordan's embedded Photo
We had a good time! Mike, could you have found a worse picture of me? LOL. I believe that was the night I was cooking Chukar and Wild Rice after a hard day of hunting. Here is a better one and a picture of an "Opportunity Buck" that I just had to take.

27-Oct-13

This is a sickle horn ram Mike passed up early in the second week of hunting. The following pictures are from my video camera.

27-Oct-13

Here he is with it at 50 yards.

27-Oct-13

First week, we had some great opportunities at some elk we had patterned. One bull even came down and took a bath in front of us. Now, this is a legal bull in an OTC area and we are 65 yards from it, and could have easily gotten another 20-30 yards. When we weren't having any luck finding rams, I said "Mike, you should go ahead and get a bull tag" the night before. Oh well, I can understand him being focused on rams. But, easy elk are very hard to come by...

27-Oct-13

Another bull.

27-Oct-13

Another nice bull.

27-Oct-13

Here is a ram that we watched for an afternoon, then went after the next day.

27-Oct-13

These rams poured salt into our wounds. These were in our unit but just outside of our hunt boundaries, which had been recently changed and didn't include the east side of the unit.

27-Oct-13

The bigger of the two.

27-Oct-13

Good thing I didn't bring my bow with me on the second trip, as I would have filled my last tag with this bear at 30-40 yards. I hiked up a canyon while Mike was fouling a campground crapper, and had him walk right by me.

27-Oct-13
Looks like a Great Adventure. A sheep hunt...Hell Yes ! Ya gotta hunt!

28-Oct-13
Thanks for sharing Mike. We were pulling for you. Great hunt nonetheless. Anytime you are able to hunt sheep, it is a good day!

28-Oct-13
great story Mike,, loved everything about it! Hero shot through your camera lenses equal a sheep on the wall..

28-Oct-13
Thanks for sharing, glad you were rewarded with a shot opportunity. Could you draw that tag again??

28-Oct-13
Mike, Congrats on what sounds like a great hunt! You're right, there's a lot more to a hunt than the kill. Thanks for posting this up.

28-Oct-13
Congrats Mike! I agree with you about just going and doing it at you pace. I have issues also and I will never be in sheep shape, yet I was successful, (with a rifle) for Mt. Goat and Dall Sheep. I enjoy the mountains and will go again soon. Just live your dreams now, not later as later may never come. JJ

28-Oct-13
I heard that this could be a tough unit to be successful in filling a tag...but at least you were successful in hunting sheep! THX for sharing your nice story and great hunt!

28-Oct-13
Great pictures and experience! Thanks for sharing!

28-Oct-13
Thanks guys for everything! I know there are some quality folks on Bowsite and the comments displayed in this thread reflect the heart of each hunter. In a few years that unit may return to "normal" so I will keep it in mind. because I was not successful I can still put in for a sheep tag. Got a great tip about a moose unit from a guy that was fishing while we were there so I may try moose for a few years.

Thanks for adding the pics Dan. If you guys ever get the chance to hunt with Dan you'll love it! Just make sure you have pop tarts for him and a way to heat them! hahahaha, Mike

28-Oct-13

One last shot of the ram just as he got hit. He is just about to take off. Hit is high, you can see the dark spot. Had we seen the video on my laptop BEFORE blood trailing, we wouldn't have spent so much time.

28-Oct-13
You just had to post that pic didn't ya!

First animal I ever wound and it has to be a SHEEP! At least the sheep will survive. My ego sure won't! Mike

28-Oct-13
Sorry Mike, but, it is interesting as it shows how close you came to filling that tag. 8" lower and DEAD.

28-Oct-13
Congrats Mike! We both saved money on Taxidermist this year!! LOL

28-Oct-13
Great adventure. Sheep can be tough to get, as you can attest, but I admire you greatly for putting in the effort. Thanks for sharing my friend. I hope you get another chance. You made a great friend and made many memories.

Only a moron would think that going on a sheep hunt and not getting one would be a failure.

28-Oct-13
A sheep hunt would only be a failure if you didn't git geard up correctly.

Mike,

Awesome photos. I know the area well. I had an epic horse wreck on the mountain above the bridge.

It's very unforgiving country, and truly amazing at the same time.

Thumbs up to you for making the effort, and thanks for sharing it.

28-Oct-13
Great Job Mike !! Perseverance, a great asset to have in ones character--CONGRATS

28-Oct-13
Awesome job guys! Sounds like fun!!

30-Oct-13
Nice photos, Mike. The rafting is fantastic and the smallmouth fishing is even better....just remember to bring lots of beer cause that canyon is one hot SOB. Congrats on a great adventure.

30-Oct-13
Looks like an awesome adventure! Congrats!

30-Oct-13
Very nice Mike. Looked like an awesome adventure.

30-Oct-13
The nice thing about that area is there are no rattlesnakes.....

• Sitka Gear