Mike Turner 06-Feb-12
Gene 07-Feb-12
Gene 07-Feb-12
Hungry Horse 03-Sep-13
W.P. Archer 03-Sep-13
JordanMOFL 03-Sep-13
31-Jan-12
Photobucket

This past year (2011), for the first time in 16 years, I did not have an archery tag in my home state of Wyoming. With time limited due to my profession as a teacher, and numerous portrait engagements from my second career as a photographer, I only made a half-hearted attempt to hunt a local general unit with an archery stamp. After one weekend of terrible weather, I decided to spend the weekend of September 25-27 in the mountains where I knew I could find elk. I took two personal days (I only get one free) to extend the weekend to 4 days, loaded up the truck and trailer and set out to find elk and photograph the rut in ways I had never had the opportunity before.

This hunt was identical to any other hunt I've been on, with early mornings and late evenings providing the most interaction with animals. The biggest difference involved packing my 20# camera/lens/tripod setup over one shoulder for miles rather then my 3.5# bow. It was quite uncomfortable after 4 days of it, but the images were well worth it.

Obviously, there will be no kill photo here, just a celebration of elk, elk country and the rut. I won't narrate much. I'll let the photos do most of the talking. Enjoy!

I found this first bull in a sweeping river valley with which I am very familiar. He bugled constantly and really wasn't very big, but no other bulls made an appearance or even a sound.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Well that should fire some of you up! I'll be back after a couple meetings and my last class!

31-Jan-12
I look at many more of these and I'm gonna have to either pack the truck for a hunting trip or take a cold shower.

31-Jan-12

elkmtngear's Link
Awesome, Tim! Your "Trophy" as a memorial of this hunt goes worlds beyond a stuffed head.

Best of Luck, Jeff

31-Jan-12
From the cover of a small clump of pines where I had the wind in my face, I continued watching this bull work his cows closer and closer to my position. It was a thrill to say the least.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A couple of times I swear the bull looked right at me. It was as if we locked eyes through the lens, but he never let on that he recognized my presence. Before I knew it, he was less than 50 yards away.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

31-Jan-12
Great photos! Your pics are always amazing.

The thought of skipping a year of elk hunting with a bow in favor of "hunting" with a camera has definitely crossed my mind. You don't have to worry about drawing a tag and could go into any of the country's premier elk areas. Sounds fun....

31-Jan-12
again great work

31-Jan-12
Photobucket

Photobucket

And of course, this is what he was busy chasing:)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

As the elk finally moved almost parallel to my location, the wind betrayed me and I watched them move away into the distance.

31-Jan-12
That evening, I moved to a different drainage choked with willows. Surprisingly, I found the elk in the willow bottoms, not in the timber above, which is where I have encountered them in the past. The bugling was intense. It seemed as though there were 7-10 bulls in the creek bottom (I couldn't see them because of the height of the willows) and the rut was in full swing. I moved slowly into the willows, playing the wind as best I could. Things began to unfold before me.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

31-Jan-12
The day was getting short and I had to really amp up my ISO, so photo quality suffered, but I didn't care. The cacophony of bugles, cow calls and crashing brush made it all worthwhile.

This last image I'm going to post tonight is of an absolute monster I saw far in the distance. I saw him about 400 yards away in the deep dusk and this image was captured at ISO 12800, which makes for a soft and grainy photo. That said, it's still pretty obvious what a toad he was. I only saw him this one time despite spending the next two days in the same vicinity.

Photobucket

Photobucket

31-Jan-12
Awesome photos!

01-Feb-12
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. some are lucky to live near elk country, some of us only get to visit once a year.

01-Feb-12
You are certainly gifted with that camera!!

thanks for sharing

Good luck, Robb

01-Feb-12
The next morning, As I headed back to the willows, a nearby bugling bull drew my attention. He chased a number of cows back and forth through the sage.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

01-Feb-12
While watching the bull in the sage, I kept hearing a deep, gutteral bugle from a distant aspen covered bowl, so I began my stalk that way. I was convinced it had to be a big bull, but I was surprised by what I found.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Unfortunately, I came in too high and he picked me off before I really had time to set up. He did not stick around to ask questions, so I turned to head back towards the willows from the previous night only to find this surprised bull. I love his bulging eyes!

Photobucket

The sun finally lit up the aspens, making a glorious morning in elk country.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

01-Feb-12
wow tim thank you ,if you don't mind my asking ,what camera and lens did you use? Just awesome photos!! thanks again ,gib

01-Feb-12
Wow - I'm excited now!!! Hope I get drawn for that WY tag.

01-Feb-12

snapcrackpop's embedded Photo
snapcrackpop's embedded Photo
Cool! Have you ever considered going to the BWCA? A canoe only area in Northern MN? Might get lucky and see a bull moose, wolves or black bear... and photo worthy views everywhere you look!

01-Feb-12
Awesome photos Tim !!! thanks for posting, Fish

01-Feb-12
thanks for sharing!

01-Feb-12
gotta ask too, what lens?

01-Feb-12
Wonderful pictures

01-Feb-12
my goodness those are fantastic pictures!

what part of the country? i have always thought it to be interesting to chase elk in that landscape.

that second to last bull in the aspens was really my favorite (if not for the bigun). i just love how dark his main beams are and with perfectly ivory tips. absolutely gorgeous. i also love how the main beam has so many bends in it. very very cool looking. i would be tickled pink to see a bull of his character in my sights. thank you sir

01-Feb-12
Great pics as always, Tim!

01-Feb-12
Camera- Canon 7D Lens- Sigma 300-800mm (affectionately called the Sigmonster)

Evening found me back in the willows. I really wanted to get in closer to all of the activity I could hear in the heart of the willows. I could actually see the tops of willows thrashing about as bulls raked antlers and bugled constantly. I had a terrible time, though, trying to get images. The close quarters and 12-15' willows obstructed my views in every direction. I did get a couple of cool photos and one video I'll share here.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

01-Feb-12
All videos were shot with the 7D as well with no external microphone, so there is quite a bit of excess noise, and the bugles are not nearly as impressive as they were in person.

Frustrated by the tall willows and desiring not to blow the elk out of the area, I eased out of the willows towards dusk to begin the long trek back to camp. As I emerged from the willows, I had the pleasure of watching an amazing display. A large bull was furiously chasing another to and fro around a large meadow at the edge of the willows. There were no cows to be seen in any direction, but the bigger bull chased the other bull relentlessly. I have no idea why the larger bull was so intent on harassing the other. It made me wonder if it had something to do with his freakish antlers. Check out this awesome non-typical bull, which was the object of the other bull's wrath.

The Freak

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Bigger Bull:

Photobucket

A tiny clip of the chase:

01-Feb-12
And on an OTC tag no less. Awesome!!!

01-Feb-12
people who think otc units suck aren't going to the right ones.

01-Feb-12
Photobucket

The next morning, I headed back in, weaving through the aspens and lodgepole pine. I could again hear bugling long before dawn, but I only found elk along the edge of the willows. This bull stood and just watched for a while before I headed in the direction of the most bugling.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love elk country. The simple beauty in even a stand of timber is remarkable.

Photobucket

What was also remarkable were the number of bugling bulls. I have been in this area many times before, and this was by far the most incredible bugling I'd encountered. The problem arose, though, that I could hardly move. Every turn I made in the timber found me bumping elk. At one point I was completely surrounded and then they blew out in a huge rush. I did catch up with the stragglers, but only caught glimpses through the trees.

Can you find the bull in the following image?

Photobucket

Photobucket

A familiar scene regardless of weapon:)

Photobucket

Photobucket

As I backed out, I blew out a crazy group of ruffed grouse. One stayed behind.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

On my way back out towards the willows, I did encounter this cow and calf moose.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had one more afternoon left and I had a plan to be deep in the willows well before the previous two evenings, hoping to catch up with some of the elk I had been hearing so much the previous days.

01-Feb-12
Simply beautiful pictures!!! Any desire in putting an elk calendar together for 2013:)

01-Feb-12
Hey Chip-

Some day I'll do another calendar with you, but it didn't work out financially last time. Let's face it, I'm a school teacher. My exposure is very limited and I ended up donating 125 of the previous order to a group for a fundraiser. They went quickly that way, but you'll never find me going door-to-door peddling my wares:) Good for them, not so good for me:)

01-Feb-12
Beautiful pictures Tim! Thank you for letting us in other states get a look. Good stuff!

02-Feb-12
Great photos Tim!! Thanks for sharing! :-)

>>>>----------->

02-Feb-12
You have certainly heard this before but Tim, you have me droolin' on my keyboard! Did you not have a tag for this unit because you certainly had enough time to find the elk. ;)

02-Feb-12
No tag for this unit, or I would have had a bow in hand. I could have shot some of these bulls at less than 20 yards. As much as I like photography, I like the thrill of the hunt even more. This is a limited quota unit contrary to some of the misunderstanding earlier in the thread and I'm not about to even hint as to where. A true "honeyhole" rarely exists any more and to be blunt, I'm not about to reveal some of my most treasured hunting locations except through imagery of what lies therein:)

That evening found me much deeper in the willows then I had ventured before. I actually found a fair sized opening I didn't know existed and set up along the edge with cow call pinched between my teeth. I could hear nearby bugling but they didn't sound as though they were headed my way. I began softly cow calling and could immediately hear a bull begin approaching. Soon I saw him!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

02-Feb-12
Awesome! I haven't been able to draw a bull tag yet in Washington St. so I know what it is like to not be able to fling an arrow. Thanks again for sharing.

02-Feb-12
One bull seemed quite active. He made several appearances over the course of my 3 evenings. He had a unique point on one side.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Despite a few bulls and cows, my foray into the willows was more auditorily stimulating then photogenic. Bugles resonated from all sides, but the tall willows blocked my views. I finally got busted right at dusk, although I'm amazed this cow picked me off. The wind was in my face. I'm guessing she picked up on my big black lens.

02-Feb-12
I only had one morning left as I needed to get home for an appointment that evening. Morning found me once again near the willows, although I hung back near some aspens along one edge. This guy was beat up. His left eye is completely swelled shut. He seemed almost aimless...a bull without a herd.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This last bull caught me moving and blew out quite quickly. I didn't even know he was there as he didn't make a sound.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Finally, as the sun climbed higher and time ticked past, with Canada Geese as my company, I packed up and headed for home, blessed beyond measure at interactions with elk that have assuaged some of the disappointment of not having a worthwhile tag for the first time in 16 years. I'm truly hoping a tag is in my future for 2012, but should I find myself empty-handed once again, I know how I'll spend some of my time!

Photobucket

I hope you've enjoyed the images and a taste of elk country/rut during February. Thanks for coming along!

02-Feb-12
great pics

03-Feb-12
Excellent!!

03-Feb-12
simply gorgeous. Great Job.

03-Feb-12
Wow! Thanks for sharing. Only 7 more months to go.

03-Feb-12
Very talented! You can almost smell the fall scents threw your pictures! Thanks for shareing.

03-Feb-12
Thanks so much for sharing. Simply amazing and awesome to see all of God's beautiful creations

03-Feb-12
incredible images tim, thank you. im lucky enough to get to go on a management cow hunt with my father tomorrow. we have done some scouting and he found himself only a couple hundred yards from a herd of 300 animals. this weekend should be all smiles none the less. thanks Tim!

03-Feb-12
Phenomenal photos. Thanks for taking us with you to elk country.

03-Feb-12
Absolutely spectacular! Thanks again, Tim.

03-Feb-12
Wow! Thanks for sharing. Only 7 more months to go.

03-Feb-12
Wow, love looking at the forest....

05-Feb-12
Beautiful photos Tim!

06-Feb-12
Great Stuff as always Tim, Thanks!

06-Feb-12
Great Stuff as always Tim, Thanks!

07-Feb-12

07-Feb-12
Great stuff!!!! If this thread doesn't get you fired up then there's a problem.

03-Sep-13
Just found this thread Tim, simply amazing photographs and videos. Thank you for sharing your elk experience. I have had a similar experience in Grand Tetons NP.

03-Sep-13
Wow...!

Thanks for bringing this to the top again.

Gee Tim, I thought I had a good grasp of outdoor photography but you mate have both hands firmly around it! Tell you what, next time things get a little heavy to carry into the woods, shoot me a PM as us Aussies are world renowned as all round good guys!...lol

ak.

03-Sep-13
What unit was that again? LOL! AMAZING work with the camera and WOW I'd guard that spot jealously too! Nicely done finding those elk!

• Sitka Gear