MC 02-Oct-12
DonVmobile 02-Oct-12
otcWill 02-Oct-12
CurveBow 03-Oct-12
Shiras 04-Oct-12
SteveB 08-Oct-12
Rut Nut 09-Oct-12
27-Sep-12
I I am still on my way home from Alaska with the deles it is taking a long 2 days. I know a lot of guys at sent messages asking about my trip it will take me a while it home to get caught up so I will post this.

it was a great trip I took a caribou with my rifle, I will get pictures of it was a good caribou but not a monster. I took him early close to the runway so I can move to Moose camp sooner. as soon as I finished packing everything to the runway I called my pilot who told me the wind had just started. It continued for several days and created a nightmare for lots of hunters andn transporters. I was stuck there for 4 more days before I can move. I ran out of food and was boiling caribou and eating blueberries. luckily two other group of moose hunters came in and were kind enough to feed me. It made a huge difference!

my moose hunt was cut short quite a bit and down to 4 days. I still saw a lot of moose and a lot of legal moves for a resident. I could have shot many moose with my rifle. twice I had when I was pretty sure was a legal bull for me very close to the runway 100 yards away. I they were just over 50" and I was pretty sure they had for browe tines but they had smelled me or camp or hanging meat and I could not be 100 percent sure so I had to pass. it was very hard to do since I was almost positive they were legal.

27-Sep-12
All of the planning logisticse and gear when very well and I was more than prepared for everything I dealt with. It was a lot of hard work and tough to be alone for so long. I after I got my bou why was stuck in camp I saw a bigger 1 and 1 huge 1 but that is the way it goes! it was a great trip and I'll be back very soon.

My bou was checked by fishing game to be sure I got all the meat and a game and Fish officer landed in Moose camp while my pilot was transporting meat back from the previous hunters. I came down off the Mountain just to meet the fishing game any check everything out and I have done everything correctly which was good to know.

27-Sep-12
Congrats to you Don! Way to go on a DIY..by yourself! Congrats again..........JJ

27-Sep-12
Thanks kdill and buskil PLEASE post here how you did to!

27-Sep-12

DonVmobile's embedded Photo
Of all thing i got bad spider bite! Realy bad if I got a fever etc I was going to call for a ride out!

27-Sep-12

Of all thing i got bad spider bite! Realy bad if I got a fever etc I was going to call for a ride out!

27-Sep-12

27-Sep-12

elkmtngear's Link
DonVMobile,

That looks nasty. The day before I left for Alaska last Season, I got bit on my right hand by some kind of spider while walking down a creek bed. My hand swelled up like a balloon.

I decided if I was going to die from some weird infection, I would just do it in Alaska. I wasn't cancelling my hunt. I was "Edward Ham Hand" for about 2 days, then the swelling went down.

Looking forward to hearing more details about the hunt!

Best of Luck, Jeff

28-Sep-12
I can vouch for those crazy winds! I got in just before they shut down the plane traffic in a huge area, many others not as lucky. I sent you a PM.

28-Sep-12
Congrats on your hunt. Looking forward to seeing more pics. The last 2 things I would worry about in Alaska is snakes and spiders. Didn't know they had poisonous spiders there

28-Sep-12
Don you post a pic of your nasty looking face but not your Caribou? I'm just sayin... Mike

28-Sep-12
That bite can only help in the looks department:) Did you go to the doc and make sure it is not infected yet?

I did not get the number of the moose hunters on our flight. He sat up front and was gone when I got off the plane, sorry.

Slammed trying to get caught up at work. I will call later.

Rick M

28-Sep-12
Glad to hear you got your Bou' Don. Hope that bite heals quickly too! Looking forward to some pics.

Flying into Fairbanks tonight for our haul road trip. I think I need more warm clothes....Ha.

28-Sep-12
+1 FLA Mike!

Too funny!!!

28-Sep-12

DonVathome's embedded Photo
Sorry had bite on phone camera with pics was at airport!

Pics starting, rifle kill, but I know many love to hear/learn about DIY AK. FYI caribou IMO are wolf candy. They are no challenge for rifle. Walk to 500 yards at any pace, in wide open, sky lined. 500 - 400 yards slow down. 400 - 300 slow down some more and maybe crouch a little and try not to be super obvious. 300-250 be somewhat careful. Likely you can easily get to 200, I typically went to about 200 - 225 then set up spotting scope to evaluate herd bulls.

Tons of bou with missing palm/bez or really really small ones (one side huge other side a spike). hard to tell, palms almost touch many times so making sure he has 2 good ones needs a spotting scope at 20x power at 250 yards.

I did see bulls with bigger tops but had small/missing bez/palms. I came back after passing around 6 good herd bulls that were missing something and 400 yards down from the runway I found mine. I took him because he was close and I could get to moose camp early. Little did I know wind would lock me in (and out of food) for 5 more days!

28-Sep-12

28-Sep-12

Believe it or not no shooter in here!

28-Sep-12

28-Sep-12

28-Sep-12

28-Sep-12

28-Sep-12

It was actually dark when I took this pic, with the mountains lit up with a glow, amazing. Camera will not let me make my own adjustments (ISO) lke in the past. annoying is an understatement.

28-Sep-12

28-Sep-12

28-Sep-12
5 pics of your ugly mug so far and no hero pic.... do you have trouble walking past mirrors? I mean walking away from mirrors??? Mike

28-Sep-12

AND here are some bowsiters! Rick (aka RickM) Pete (aka PeteB) an DJ (I think his name here is "internal injuries")!!!!!

Rick and DJ did AWESOME and I will let them share there stories/pics.

28-Sep-12
At least a photo of my ass finally made it onto Bowsite!

And my pre-94 Dodge too...

Pete

28-Sep-12

AND here are some bowsiters! Rick (aka RickM) Pete (aka PeteB) an DJ (I think his name here is "internal injuries")!!!!!

Rick and DJ did AWESOME and I will let them share there stories/pics.

28-Sep-12

Plane of a local who moose hunted in same area I hunt bou in.

Also if anyone is interested I might consider having a partner for hunting bou (with bou) in the future. If you are interested please PM me.

28-Sep-12
Pete, it'a about time someone posted a picture of your "good side" LOL

28-Sep-12

Notice date 1966 filled! Trash on remote runway

28-Sep-12

This ones for you Pete! Lottsa beaver!

Look close everyone, more beaver then you can shake a stick at!

28-Sep-12

I do have a problem with mirrors! I shaved my head for poops and giggles for this trip. I have a lot of lumps and dents in m head(I think my momma dropped me a lot as a baby!). I always wondered what they looked liked and I THOUGHT with 3 weeks in AK it would all grow back so I shaved it.

It has been 3 weeks and it is still flippen short!

My bou was ok, nothing like WY guys bou. I did see exactly 1 bou as big or slightly bigger then his when stuck in bou camp - and after seeing literally over 100 mature bulls (and 20 or so the size of mine).

Congrat's again WY guy (WY24???) you got one heck of a bull!

28-Sep-12

Not a big one but close to runway and, at the time, about the best I had seen.

28-Sep-12
Glad ya made it safe and sound with a tag filled.

Those dang spider bites can get real bad quick!

congrats

Good luck, Robb

28-Sep-12
Wow Don that's a nice Bou! It's certainly looks better than your ugly spider face! Hahahaha, congrats, Mike

28-Sep-12
Don-

Happy you were successful and finished healthy! Cept for that pus filled face sac.....

Send that pic to Jimbo (picture clean up guy) he'll have you looking like Ellen Degeneres in seconds. (I would have said someone like Eva Mendes, but even Jim is not THAT talented...)

Nice bou. Well done on the solo gig. When do you start your MZ elk hunt?

Thanks for sharing -Steve

28-Sep-12
elk in 13 days!

28-Sep-12

28-Sep-12

Fire from airforce practice bombing.

28-Sep-12

Looks better

28-Sep-12

bad pilot

28-Sep-12

Spider bite, cleaned it up a lot and drained it a lot (wife is seriously pissed I am not going to doc yet).

Looks a lot better huh?

28-Sep-12
That one needs the knitting needles......

yuk

29-Sep-12
I was okay until I saw that second picture of your face.... Helluva an adventure .... congrats. Ed F

29-Sep-12
Looks like it needs a good poppin... LMFAO.. That is pretty disgusting... Go to the doc!

Nice trip though! Glad you had fun!

29-Sep-12
Nice accomodations. What is that frame from?

29-Sep-12
Frame was an old cabin, flat and I thought a good spot to set up my tent, turned into a huge pain. Took me forever to make it fit, tons of rusty nails sticky out I took down, floor held water under my tent (I was hoping for opposite). Banged head constantly etc.

29-Sep-12
Have you popped that thing yet?

29-Sep-12
Don, after seeing how much worse that spider bite became, I went to the doctor to make sure you didn't pass it on to me a the airport!! Get that thing checked OUT!!!!

29-Sep-12
That freaking bite may need it's own SS# by the time you get home. I'm pretty sure you'll have to claim it as a dependent on you 2012 taxes

29-Sep-12
"That freaking bite may need it's own SS# by the time you get home. I'm pretty sure you'll have to claim it as a dependent on you 2012 taxes, keep"

Hahahahahahaha LMAO! This site is so entertaining.... At least as long as Dons alive I can't be the ugliest guy on Bowsite! Mike

01-Oct-12
Congrats DonV! some great pics and a great story. I talked with a couple guys that were up there the same time as you and the winds sounded awful, makes it tough to get much done! Again Congratulations! Jim

02-Oct-12
wyobulls24, winds would have to tame down to have been aweful! Lots of issues for lots of guys. Warm too. I am sure it hurt moose hunting, I cannot say if it hurt caribou - but I doubt it. It sure kept me out of moose campe for 4 days - and guy whowas there metioned a huge moose passing through the area I watched for 13 hours day when I got there! AARRGGGH

Airfare to FAI: $800 Tags (moose/bou/1/2 license 42.50): $770 Baggage: $200 Sporting Goods: $225 Hotel/Taxi: $280 Transporter: $1700 Food/entertainment: $220 Misc: $100 Grand total: $4,200 Not included Sat phone $660 (I spent a lot on this), all meat transport home – I donated all but 45#, I got a new rangefinder $450

Above is a very accurate account of what I spent on my trip, I was solo and DIY. Entertainment includes buying a some beer/food for my friends on way home, airport meals (both ways), and buying dinner/breafast while here. Keep in mind I was gone over 1-1/2 weeks so at home I would have spent more on gas/food.

I could have cut a little off baggage fees, soporting goods and entertainment and not tipped - total savings $400 or so max.

02-Oct-12
You sure a fly didn't plant a larvae in that?

02-Oct-12
Nope doc gave me antibiotic and it drained a lot!

02-Oct-12
Absolutely awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!

03-Oct-12
Good write up, despite all the popping and draining going on! ; )

Thanks for sharing. I dream of a trip like that....

>>>>------->

04-Oct-12
Don,

That is one nasty ass looking bite! Glad you got a good bou, but too bad on the moose. We had tons of rain, but not too bad of winds.

08-Oct-12
Don, BIG congrats on the Bou and adventure! Watch that bite...I got bit here in Ohio on the left bicep in early July and it took 2 months to clear with antibiotics! Dont mess with it and get it checked out!

09-Oct-12
Don- WTH is that ugly thing growing around your spider bite?! ;-)

Sorry, couldn;t resist! :)

SOunds like a great adventure!

• Sitka Gear