CWOotr 11-Jan-11
tthomas 11-Jan-11
loesshillsarcher 11-Jan-11
medicinemann 15-Jan-11
Bou'bound 15-Jan-11
medicinemann 15-Jan-11
Hawkeye 15-Jan-11
27-Jan-10
Since the previous thread about this hunt couldn't be updated daily due to a poor cellular signal, the thread got a little focused on the cost of such a hunt, instead of the story of the hunt. Therefore, I am posting the story in this new thread.....

Saturday, January 16th - I arrived in Omaha, Nebraska with a mouthful of canker sores. Ned picked me up at the airport, and being the dentist that he is, was kind enough to get me an Rx for viscous Lidocaine, which at least numbs the mouth long enough to eat. We went to breakfast, bought a Spanish dictionary, and then drove to Ned's fathers house, where he practiced shooting for an hour or two. We briefly attended an Iowa SCI banquet and then went to Cabelas where I got a great deal on a Swarovski scope (mentioned earlier in the previous thread about Ned's bowhunt). We watched some of the football playoff games and then had a big dinner at the Pink Poodle restaurant. I repacked my gear and crashed at Ned's house for a couple hours of sleep before our 0400 wake-up.

Sunday, January 17th - We arrived at the Omaha airport at 0445. During check-in, a first class upgrade was available, for $100 from Omaha to Phoenix, and $50 from Phoenix to Los Angeles (LAX). Baggage checked for free for first class flyers while I believe that Ned had to pay $50 per bag. I wonder if my bag had been overweight or "oversized", if first class tickets would STILL have "zeroed" any "normal baggage fees"? Something that I will definitely check-out on future flights....that is for sure.

The flights were uneventful, but we really didn't have any spare time between flights (15-20 minute layovers, where I tried to give everyone a quick update on our status). We arrived in Lareto and Victor picked us up, as Ty Miller had to pick-up a different hunter in La Paz or Cabo San Lucas. During the two hour drive to base camp, we passed two VERY shapely senoritas making a nature call by the side of the road. When the driver of the truck in front of us hit the horn, the senoritas simply waved as they stood up and pulled up their pants.....Needless to say, it provided a very animated conversation in the vehicle for about the next 30 minutes!! We arrived in camp about two hours later. We met the staff/guides (Jorge, Sergio, "Torino", and Guillermo). Ned set-up some arrows and practiced shooting for a while. A quick dinner and early lights-out in preparation for tomorrows first day of hunting.

Monday, January 18th - Our first full day of glassing and scouting. Temperature was about 85 degrees and no wind. We spotted at least three separate groups of sheep, each of which contained at least one "shooter" ram. We relocated a couple times, and began to pattern the ram to the east, as he seemed to be the largest. He was also staying in a rather stalkable position throughout the day. At the end of the day, we made the twenty minute drive drive back to camp, where Ned shot 20 to 40 arrows at 20-30 yards. His groups were good, and the bow shot well despite a few "nicks" on the limbs that had prompted Ned to buy, sight-in, and practice with a second bow (A Z7, which also made the trip).

Dinner was bean soup, and some kind of chicken alfredo dish that was probably the best meal that was served while we were in camp.Tortillas were served at every meal....and I do mean EVERY meal. After dinner, since I had brought my laptop (and had bought a couple hunting videos at the Cabelas in Omaha), we showed the guides a hunting video, which they REALLY seemed to enjoy. We hit the rack by 2200 hours on most evenings.

The camp is located right on the beach (playa) of the Sea of Cortez, about 20 minutes south of our hunting area...right across the bay from the village of Agua Verde (green water). There are hammerhead shark and small manta ray carcasses all over the beach. Local fisherman moor their small fishing boats here, and they dry their nets here as well....probably explaining all of the carcasses that we saw.

Tuesday, January 19th - We never really had a breakfast for the duration of the hunt. The guides would drink coffee, while Ned and I would drink juice or water and have a banana. We reached the same scouting area where we finished our glassing the previous day, and within minutes we had located the big ram to the East. Ned located a ram and a couple ewes to the south. After a couple hours of watching (and waiting for the wind to die out completely), we moved upslope, across the valley from the big ram. He had relocated and was now bedded quartering away at 750-800 yards. We spent considerable time evaluating the ram and determining various stalking opportunities that might work.

The day passed quickly and we learned that Ned would not be trying a stalk that day. Today was strictly a second day of scouting.....about an hour before we left for the day, a ewe was spotted on the skyline directly above us (to the east). Not ten minutes later, we heard the crash of a small rockslide, and it was close. Thinking that a sheep might have caused the slide, I turned to Ned and whispered "Where is your bow?" With a pained look on his face, he quickly ran downslope about 30 yards to where he had left his bow before we started glassing. While no sheep ever appeared near us, Ned kept the bow close from then on.

A nice shooter ram (borrego "cimarron") eventually did appear above us with that ewe (hembra) and a couple other females. Once again, by the end of the day, we had located three shooter rams in different locations.

Dinner was meat, rice, and beans....and tortillas. I showed the second of the two hunting hunting videos that I brought with me....from here on, the evening cinema will be reruns...and the guys could care less....I doubt that they ever watched a hunting video before. They were quite interested in the videos. Before nightfall, Ned had shot 30-40 arrows (fletchas) and his groups were all lethal.

Wednesday, January 20th - Having watched the big ram for two consecutive days, the third day found us leaving camp earlier than the previous two days. My good luck ritual is to shave on the mornings when I think that everything will come together. So, I shaved, Ned packed my golden horseshoe (an established good luck charm for me), and Ned wore his good luck hat. We arrived at the primary spotting site and quickly found the "champion", which was the name given to the large ram located to the east of us. Sergio and Trillo stayed at this site while Ned, Jorge, Victor, and I moved around the ridge that the big ram was bedded upon. We thought that the ram would feed up and over the ridge, explaining our decision to try to get ahead of him. Once we got around the ridge, Victor and I headed upslope to the west, while Ned and Jorge started to scale the slope to the east. The ram is on the backside of the east slope that Ned is climbing, and Sergio and Trillo are located in a spot that allows them to keep an eye on the ram (if he doesn't scale the top), who has now bedded, instead of climbing the the ridge, as expected.

Once we decided that the ram apparently bedded on the north side of the slope, I grabbed my orange and white flags and Victor and I scrambled back down to Sergio and Trillo's position. By this time, Ned and Jorge are on the top of the ridge, trying to locate the ram beneath them.

Once Victor and I met-up with Sergio and Trillo, the four of us climbed the slope across from the big ram. We stopped climbing when we were about 700 yards from the ram. Over the next hour, Ned and Jorge were able to close the distance to less than 100 yards. It sure is exciting when the orange flag and the white flag are almost touching!! By 1400 hours, the stage is set. Four observers are across the valley with three spotting scopes trained on a 160"-165" stud of a ram. Ned and Jorge are thirty yards above the ram. This is going to happen! Suddenly, I see through the spotting scope that Ned is fussing with his hand, and Jorge reached for something. Then it all comes together....Ned was crawling to the edge of the ledge and he put his hand on a cholla cactus!!Jorge had to pull it out of his hand with a Leatherman.

Jorge first looks over the ledge and spots the ram beneath them. Jorge backs up and Ned looks over the edge, spotting the ram. Ned backs up, gets his rangefinder, and when he peeks back over to range the ram, it is looking right up at him. Ned tried several times to get a distance with his angle correcting rangefinder, but has no success. The rock ledge must be too close to the ram's line of sight. Ned shoots a distance to a boulder behind the ram....34 yards. the ram is about 4 yards in front of the rock. A thirty yard, angle corrected shot - no problem. Ned nocks an arrow, and draws his bow while crouching behind the ledge. When Ned leans out to shoot, he doesn't think that his arrow will clear the ledge. Ned backs up a couple yards, stands up, and moves a couple yards to the right. Jorge grabs the back of his pants at the waist and his belt as Ned leans over to shoot.....time seems to stand still......

.....suddenly, the ram bolts to the east. I can see no blood or evidence of an exit hole. Ned and Jorge scramble to their right for a possible second shot. The cover is thick enough that they don't realize that the ram has reversed his position and has doubled back. The ram is looking at Ned and Jorge from fifteen yards away (down slope), but the guys are looking to the right, and the ram is beneath them (to the left) at only 15 yards!! After 10-15 seconds, the ram bolts. He doesn't blow out of the zipcode, but he gets far enough away that our day of chasing him is done.

We pack up our gear and head downslope to a point where we can meet Ned and Jorge. It was a great day!! Yeah Yeah.....the archer missed, but only after stalking within mere yards of a STUD of a ram. Even though Ned missed, I promise you that the sight of that big ram will be with Ned for the rest of his days - trust me.

When we first meet up with Ned and Jorge, Ned is heartsick and apologetic. The first words out of everyone's mouth are "No problemo"....we get to do this again tomorrow!! Nonetheless, it was a long, quiet walk back to the truck, but Ned kept saying how the rangefinder picture just didn't seem right.

Upon our return to camp, Ned started to practice shooting. While he was gone, I checked his rangefinder....and just as I had feared, his mode button must have been depressed in the excitement of the stalk, because the rangefinder was set for line of sight distance, NOT angle corrected distance!! Instantly, it became painfully clear why Ned had shot high. as steep as his shot was, Ned should have used his 20 yard pin, NOT his 30 yard pin. When I shared my findings with Ned (after he finished shooting), he understood immediately what had happened. Needless to say, Ned did not sleep well that evening, as the ghost of "ram hunts gone awry" visited him several times throughout the evening. We had fish for dinner that evening, and even Ned liked it....and apparently Ned doesn't usually like fish. Think that his mind was elsewhere? Probably.....but the fish was REALLY good.

Thursday, January 21st - We got a late start today because Victor decided that we would scout for rams from the shore of the Sea of Cortez (it might have been a day of mental rest after the previous days outcome....but who knows). We rode north of camp until we were about 20 kilometers from camp. We glassed from a couple different spots on shore. At the first stop, we found a turtle shell just a few yards from an abandoned palapa, but our glassing efforts found no sheep. Our second stop found no sheep either, but we saw live crabs on the shoreline and coyote tracks on the beach. Ned and the guys collected some seashells. Victor and the owner of the boat took us about 3 kilometers south of the second point, and we must have spotted several dozen porpoises all around the boat at various times during this part of the ride. We also watched pelicans ("alcatraz" in Spanish) feeding on baitfish near the shore.

When we reached the the third spot where we were going to spot from, Victor and the boat operator/owner dropped us off to scout for sheep, while Victor and the boat owner went back to Agua Verde. Victor would pick us up later in the day with his pickup truck.

We walked about 3/4 mile inland from the Sea of Cortez and started to glass. We saw a couple ewes, but not much more. After a couple hours of glassing (and maybe a nap or two), we moved further to the east. You may not believe this, but Ned took photos to prove it - I found a Blue Marlin!! In the middle of the silly desert, I found a blue marlin carcass! Apparently, a local restaurant owner must have bought the fish from a fisherman, butchered it, and then drove the carcass far from his restaurant (up into the mountains) and dumped it.....and I happened to stumble upon the remains. A blue marlin carcass in the mountains of Mexico while bowhunting for Desert Bighorn Sheep!!

Continued glassing turned up a dozen sheep, including several rams, and at least two of them were shooters. Ned nicknamed one of them "Whitey" because of a white spot that we could see on his right horn......even at over 1,200 yards. We then located a single ram only 500-600 yards away from us. Jorge didn't think that the ram was big enough to stalk, but he sure looked decent (and stalkable) to Ned and myself. Victor showed up shortly thereafter, and we returned to camp. Ned practiced shooting his bow for a little while. We then ate dinner and went to bed rather early. The wind is REALLY starting to pick-up as we call it a day.

Friday, January 22nd - Throughout the evening, the wind must have gusted upwards of 30-40 mph. The tent walls were huffing and puffing all night. When we awoke the next morning, the sky was very overcast. Victor and Jorge actually had us check one mountain area before we could get to where we had located the sheep the previous evening.

This mountain area was actually the next drainage over from where Ned had a shot at the "champion" ram only 2 days earlier. Six sheep were quickly spotted, and one was a very nice ram.....possibly the "champion". We bagged the idea of going to the area that we had scouted the day before, parked the truck, and grabbed our backpacks. The clouds actually looked looked very dark, but we were in the desert, so we knew better than to expect any rain....but the wind was still really gusting. We hadn't gone 500 yards further, and it started to sprinkle! Rain in the baja desert! Blue Marlin in the mountains! What's next?!!

Two hours later, we were up on top of the mountain where we had seen the sheep, but they were nowhere to be found. That is when the skies opened up....it was so windy, and raining so hard, that visibility was probably less than 50 yards for a while...in the desert!! The strata of the desert are so friable that when a rainstorm DOES occur, erosive effects are greatly magnified. We had rockslides happening all around us. Victor, Jorge, Sergio, and Ned actually climbed higher and spotted the sheep that we had seen earler in the morning, but they had moved over to another peak. We descended the mountain (soaking wet and laughing about it), and headed back to base camp. At times like those, it sure is tough to beat a dry set of clothes!!

Saturday, January 23rd - We went back to the spot where we first started glassing from on the first day of the hunt. We never located that big ram again, just some some small rams and ewes to the south. We eventually moved to the west, to look for the large group of rams that we had located a couple days earlier (on "blue marlin" day). While glassing, Trillo brought Ned a couple scorpions to look at and photograph. One was actually pretty darn big.....Trillo was pretty playful with the smaller one, but he never let the big guy raise his tail at him without quickly withdrawing his hand.

We eventually located two rams to the west, one was so-so, and the other was definitely a shooter. We moved further west, so that we would be right across the valley from them, and we glassed for hours for those two rams, and they simply disappeared....go figure. Around 1330 hours, we spotted a small ram (chico) even further to the west. I felt that it was unlikely that this ram would be alone, and I told Ned that we should keep an eye on this smaller ram. Sure enough, within an hour, we located a very nice ram which bedded within 15 yards of the smaller ram.

Eventually, the bigger ram got up and started to move to the west. We grabbed our gear and also headed west. This ram eventually moved into a valley that was full of morning glory vines. With all of yesterdays rainfall, the leaves from the morning glory vines gave this ram plenty of vegetation to feed on for quite some time. Sergio and Trillo stayed back, while Ned, Jorge, Victor, and I closed to about 800 yards. After glassing for about 15 minutes, it became clear that this was a really nice ram, and he was so engrossed with the plush vegetation of the valley that he was in, that it might be possible for Ned and Jorge to get a stalk in on him....despite the wind which was for the most part blowing in his general direction.

I set-up the spotting scope and admired this ram for a good thirty minutes, he sure looked like a shooter to me! I even videoed him while he fed, but the glare of daylight on the camera screen made it difficult to determine if I was actually zooming in on him. After about an hour, Jorge and Ned were on the eastern edge of this 160 yard wide depression. Once they had closed to about 80 yards, Jorge pointed out the ram to Ned (the vegetation was thick) and Ned began the rest of the stalk by himself. Ned would crabwalk on his hands, feet, and butt whenever the ram had his head down and was feeding in the thick morning glory.

Ned closed to about 40-45 yards, and suddenly the ram started to head butt one of the palo blanco trees that he was standing beside!! He was facing away from Ned and was so engrossing in punishing that tree that Ned was able to close to 35 yards! Ned was able to range several landmarks around the ram, and had turned himself so that the ram was on his left shoulder. Although Ned was sitting, since he was slightly above the ram, he was in great position for a shot. Eventually he got ready for the shot, and the ram suddenly sensed that something wasn't right. He stared right at Ned for at least 30 seconds......and then went back to feeding, and maybe walking one or two yards to Ned's right........

As I am watching this drama in my spotting scope, suddenly the ram bolts from the vegetated area...running until he was about 55 yards from Ned. Ned shoots again, but the arrow appeared to miss (or at the very best, just grazes the ram). The ram started to move directly away from Ned and just as he was about to drop down over a ledge at 65 yards, Ned shot a third time. I could see that the arrow had hit the ram in the rump, and he was bleeding heavily from it. I could also see the first arrow had hit the ram low in the body cavity, but was about one inch behind the front shoulder.

The ram went about 50 yards and bedded. After a few minutes, his head started to drop every now and then, but suddenly I could see that Ned and Jorge were following the spoor. When they closed to within 15-20 yards, the ram must have sensed them. He jumped up and before he could bolt, Ned shot again.....and again hit him in the rump( I later learned that most of the ram's body was obscured by a bush, and Ned just wanted to get another arrow in the animal). Ned had a five arrow quiver, and his fifth arrow is now on the string (I didn't know that he had picked up his first arrow, which had completely passed through the ram). The ram started to run downhill, but he was starting to lose his balance.....about then Ned shot his fifth arrow, which double lunged the animal, and put him down on the spot. Ned Greer had just filled his Desert Bighorn sheep tag!!

Ned is actually still in Mexico, enjoying a few more days of R&R. However, I am sure that he will add to, and modify my comments........as well as provide several photos. Nonetheless, he is now a half slammer!!

Jake

27-Jan-10
Awesome! Great write-up too!

27-Jan-10
Thank Jake,

Sounds like you had a blast!

michael

27-Jan-10
That's one tough animal! Congrats to Ned.

Thanks for the great story

27-Jan-10
Wow, what a fantastic hunt. Thanks for the great write up, Jake, and major congratulations to Ned.

27-Jan-10
I am soo happy for Ned, That is a great accomplishment and well deserved! Thanks for posting!! Charlie

27-Jan-10
TOO COOL!!! Great going for Ned! Good story Jake. Thanks for sharing.

27-Jan-10
Congrats to Ned! Thanks for the recap, Jake. Must have been great to have a front row seat to the whole hunt!

27-Jan-10
Congratulations on a tremendous feat Ned. Also, that was very generous of you Jake to provide your support. What are you doing January of 2018?! :)

27-Jan-10
Congrats to Ned and thanks for a great writeup Jake!

27-Jan-10
Congratulation Ned, thanks for the story Jake.

27-Jan-10
Great hunt. Very well written recount.

27-Jan-10
Congrats to all involved. It sounds like a great time.

27-Jan-10
Alright Ned! You got it done congrats! Can't wait to see the pictures. Great play by play story Jake.

27-Jan-10
Excellent job Ned! Very gracious of you as well Jake to take the time and share this tale. Really enjoyed reading it and goes to show you just gotta keep after things in life. No time for feeling bad about setbacks. Great story!

27-Jan-10
Congrats Ned!!! Way to stick with it! Tanks for posting Jake! Watching it all happen is sometimes better than the actual hunt.

27-Jan-10
Way to Go Ned!!!!!!!!!!!

27-Jan-10
Absolutely outstanding. Great job Ned on a tough hunt. Im glad it all came together. Jake, thanks for the update, i cant wait to see the pictures.

27-Jan-10
Great hunt and story! Thanks for sharing.

27-Jan-10
Great hunt and story! Thanks for sharing.

27-Jan-10
Awesome, Congrats Ned!!! And thanks for the write-up Jake!

27-Jan-10
Great! Congratulations! Bring on the pictures!

27-Jan-10
Senor Jake- Muchas gracias for the great recap of the hunt! Congrats Ned on a great hunt!

27-Jan-10
Congrats Ned can't wait to see a picture. Jake you know how to write a good story. Reading it was like being up on the mountain with you.

27-Jan-10
Congrats Ned. Thanks for the play by play Jake!

27-Jan-10
That's awesome! Congrats Ned, I cant wait to see the pictures. Also thanks Jake for taking the time to share.

27-Jan-10
Way to go Ned and Jake...the golden horse shoe prevails once again!!!

Sharpstick

27-Jan-10
That is so freaking awesome! I was on the edge of my seat reading that. Knowing that area well from my fishing days, I find myself longing for Baja! What a magical place with wonderful people. Congrats to Ned. Sounds like a hard earned trophy. Can't wait to see pics.

27-Jan-10
That was a helluva story. Congrats to all you guys. Can't wait for the pics. Ed F

27-Jan-10
Congrats Ned and Jake! Great write up and story Jake.

27-Jan-10
Waaaay to go Ned!!!! Thanks for a great job of recreating the story for us Jake!!! Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Dan

27-Jan-10
Congratulations! And thanks for sharing. Cant wait to see some pictures.

27-Jan-10
Thanks Jake for sharing the adventures, very cool. Larry

27-Jan-10
Great write-up...can't wait to see the pictures. For those of us without the means to ever try a trip like this, it sure is fun to live vacariously through all you sheep hunters!

27-Jan-10
Go to Mexico for a ram and come home with a porcupine! Sounds like just as much fun to be the spotter as it is to be the shooter.

Great write up. Congrats on the ram!

27-Jan-10

medicinemann's embedded Photo
I'll try to post a few of the photos that I have.....

This photo hopefully shows the back of Victor (in the Lower Left corner). Ned and Jorge are across the valley, JUST to the right of the farthest right branch above Victor's head (does that sound right?)...in the dark green. The ram is in the valley where the most green vegetation is located. He was quite low on the mountain.

27-Jan-10

This is a blow-up of the previous photo, using just the zoom of my camera. Go straight across from the limb (to the right), and hopefully you might see the ram - it is the dark spot, just above and to the right of the small white spot. Got it?

27-Jan-10

My first attempt to ever take a photo through a telescope...my NEW Swarovski scope, I might add.....Ned was 100 yards to the left at the time that this photo was taken.

27-Jan-10

Darn, my first attempt was better than my second try.....the ram is trying to browse off of a high limb - must not have had the camera quite square to the lense of the spotting scope.

27-Jan-10

The tree to the right with white bark is called a palo blanco tree. This may have been the one that the ram was head butting as Ned closed to 35 yards.

27-Jan-10

A happy bunch of guys. (L-R) Sergio, Jorge (back), Ned, Trillo, and Victor.

27-Jan-10

Victor took this photo...complete with golden horseshoe which Ned faithfully carried in his backpack.

27-Jan-10

Jorge and Ned (and something golden.....)

27-Jan-10

Ned and myself....any guesses on what this ram might score? I'm guessing in the low 150's.....but hoping for a little higher....not that score means anything.....more an item of curiosity (and comparison) than anything else. That should be enough photos....I'll let Ned post some to his liking upon his return.

Jake

27-Jan-10
Beautiful...thanks for posting the pictures. Great ram!!!

27-Jan-10
Great pics and narrative Jake! Thanks for posting. You didn't let him keep that golden shoe I hope.

27-Jan-10
Awesome animal and pics!

27-Jan-10
I've gotta get me one of those golden horseshoes!

27-Jan-10
Beautiful ram, Congrats. I love those dark reddish horns. Ed F

27-Jan-10
Wonderful story Jake and congratulations to you Ned.

27-Jan-10
Thanks Jake for the story n pics.....A BIG CONGRATS TO NED!!!!!!! Is this a new golden horse shoe??? I thought Canada customs took the last one??

MM

27-Jan-10
JAKE GREAT STORY really enjoyed it , you can always get a job as an outdoor writer .. congras on a great sheep NED

is the shoe for rent .....

27-Jan-10
Thanks for the play by play, Jake.

Congratulations, Ned!

27-Jan-10
MountainMike,

Damn you have a good memory! TSA at the Edmonton airport took my first golden horseshoe, claiming that it could be used as a weapon.....probably afraid that I was a ringer (sorry, couldn't resist). When Ned found out that the first horseshoe that he gave me was confiscated, he OVERNIGHTED the second one to me so that I would have it in time to take it with me on my Mountain Goat bowhunt. I got it the day that I left for my goat hunt.....I just wish that it had worked as well for Tom Edgington as it did for me.....I got my goat, Tom did not.

City Hunter,

All evidence to the contrary....I submitted an article about four sheep bowhunts in one year to Eastman's, Bowhunter, and even The Huntin' Fool....and none of them ever published it.

27-Jan-10
Great pictures, thanks for sharing Jake!

And congrats again Ned, what an awesome hunt.

27-Jan-10
Beautiful write up Jake and a great trophy Ned. What an awesome experience.

27-Jan-10
Way to Go Ned! Congratulations!

and Jake, thanks for reporting and the pics! Looks and sounds like you guys had a blast.

Nick

27-Jan-10
Great pictures! That's a pretty ram! Again Ned congrats on getting it done and taking an awesome trophy.

Jake who's going to get to utilize the golden horseshoe next?

27-Jan-10
Congrats Ned! Good job! Great sheep! What a cool adventure!

Geez Jake, you're gettin' really good at that writing and storytelling thing. Thanks.

Soooo, did Ned get to shoot an arrow at the bar? Or is this a different place than where you and tthomas went?

27-Jan-10
Great photos and one great animal. The smiles say it all.

27-Jan-10
jake not to fear we enjoy your reads

27-Jan-10
Great job fellows

27-Jan-10
Congrats Ned, what an experience.

Jake, Give me a call. Since you are retired and on a fixed income now I have proposition for you.

I am thinking the name of the new business could be...

"Golden Horseshoe Rental R-Us"

LOL

thanks for the story Jake,

michael

28-Jan-10
TD,

Ned killed his ram in the same general area as where Tom Foss, Greg Bokash, Casey Brooks, myself, and maybe some others tagged their rams.

The bar where the arrows are shot into the beam is called Del Burachos, and Mike, the owner is a really good guy. He even remembered me from 2 years ago. Ned even got a pretty funny photo of the two of us with somberos drinking a shot of tequila near the end of the Saints game. We watched both play-off games there on Sunday, and there are now about 6 arrows in the beam....but by the end of the week, there's gonna be at least seven (Ned's) ..... maybe even eight, as Tom Miranda is currently down there hunting where Fred Eichler killed his ram.....it's a rather steep, nasty area.....but it does have sheep.

28-Jan-10
holy cow...awesome!

28-Jan-10
Excellent! Congrats...

28-Jan-10
Very Nice!

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

28-Jan-10
Thanks for putting up the pictures! When does Ned get home? Charlie

28-Jan-10
Great ram!!! Thanks for sharing the adventure and the pics! Ned, your smile says it all!!!! Steff

28-Jan-10
Jake, once again thank you for the great story and pictures. I cant wait to hear Neds side of it.

28-Jan-10
Beautiful ram! Thanks for posting the pic's,Jake

28-Jan-10
Great pic's Jake.. Once again congrats guys.. Awesome hunt and a gorgeous ram!!

28-Jan-10
Way to go guys!! The hunt of a lifetime!!!

28-Jan-10
JAKESTER Well since you got those lucky "Golden Horses" That work so well (HAHA) Do You ship to Alberta????? I would sure LOVE to have one. If i could get one of them and one of Ttomas's hats the scales would be DEFINTELY be tipped in my favour...LOL.

Does anyoneone know how Cam made out this past fall??

Once again CONGRATS to Ned.....hoping there's more pics coming from him (wink wink)

Cheers MM

28-Jan-10
Congrats Ned! 2 down 2 to go!

28-Jan-10
Congradulations....way to get r done

29-Jan-10
Great pics! What a perfect ram! Fine job gentlemen.

29-Jan-10
Congradulations Ned, very nice Ram. Now draw that Colorado tag so you can be the hunter instead of the spotter.

29-Jan-10
ned im resting my eye for ya

29-Jan-10
I just got a follow-up phone call from Ned. He is currently in Los Angeles at LAX, with a seven hour layover. He flies to Chicago, and then doubles back to Omaha arriving tomorrow morning around 0930 hours.

He will have some additional photos to post, including his arrow in the centerbeam post of Del Buracho's, the Blue Marlin, two bowhunters drinking tequila and wearing somberos....plus a few others, I am sure. I guess that Tom Miranda was sick upon his arrival to Lareto, but he is bowhunting out of Santo Domingo, so I am sure that he is hard at it.

Ned also offered a few other things that surprised me....

1.)He was able to get all of his CITES paperwork done, so he is bringing his ram horns and cape with him....and NO, they were NOT checked on....he is hand carrying them. I sure hope that it is a waterproof bag. The Mexican authorities did NOT plug his ram!! Apparently, that process has been discontinued, which surprises me. I wonder if that will be true for the other species as well.....or if it is only true for Bighorns taken in Mexico?

2.) I guess that Scott Limmer (CWO) was able to taken a dandy of a bighorn ram with his rifle....but I have NO details. Maybe Scott can post them at a later time. Either way, I heard that it was about a 185" ram.

3.) Ned's ram green scored 154 6/8.

Well, our recent ram slayer should be posting on the forum by tomorrow....I just wanted to post a few new details for anyone that is interested. I was even thinking of starting a post about the intricacies of such a hunt....just to share our info with anyone that may be lucky enough to go in the future.....kinda like what has been with some of the previous muskox threads.

Jake

29-Jan-10
"Plug???"

"We don't neeeed no stinnnking plug!"

heheheh....

Can't wait for the rest of the pics and story. Thanks.

30-Jan-10
Quote: "I was even thinking of starting a post about the intricacies of such a hunt".

Yes, please do!

31-Jan-10

31-Jan-10

31-Jan-10
Before leaving for Mexico, I used Ned's computer to post a few things. I registered as myself. Apparently, Ned went to enter some photos this evening (the two previous posts with my user name), but his computer is still making the entries as if I am doing the typing. Ned actually went into the registration section of the forum, and it has HIS Bowsite name (Loesshillsarcher), but when he makes an entry, it is STILL showing a medicinemann post. If anyone knows how Ned can "reset" his computer, I know that he would appreciate it....and you'll get to see some more cool photos, as well.

Jake

31-Jan-10
He can click on "my computer" then "control panel" then "internet options" then "delete" under browsing history then click on passwords.

It will delete all his passwords that he has automatically sign him in.

Then he needs to get his Bowsite registration number and enter that.

01-Feb-10

CWOotr's embedded Photo
CWOotr's embedded Photo
Hi Jake and Bowsiter's,

I had the pleasure of running into Ned and Ty Miller at the Loreto airport as I was on the way home from helping another hunter take a good desert ram on the Biosphere Reserve. I got to see Ned's ram... very nice.

I helped Ned get his ram through US Customs and the USFWS inspection at LAX as I have done this several times with my hunters. The day before I had called with my SAT phone and scheduled a USFWS Inspector to meet me at LAX. Of course I had no idea Ned would be on the same flight! It worked out great cause after we checked our ram, I helped Ned. I helped Ned with his paperwork, some of which has changed this year. If any of you are planning a MX hunt, let me know and I will help you pre-print the forms and rules to carry with you just in case you get a "beginner" inspector or Customs Agent. I also provided a copy of the new rules to Ty. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Since Jake brought it up, here is a pic of my NEW Mexico rocky ram. He is 39 6/8 x 14 4/8 with 11 4/8 3rd quarters. Nets green at 184 and change and grosses 185 and change. Biggest ram ever taken in the San Fran River unit. From left to right is friend and CSU Vet Student, Nathan Winter, friend Skip from AZ, and me. Enjoy.

Scott.

01-Feb-10
Hey Jake, I know Ned and know he is not computer smart. Might take a some time to figure it out. Im sure he will have to wait till Monday and have one of his girls from his office staff fix it when they come in for the day. Looking forward to some more pic's when that happens.

01-Feb-10
Jay,

You better drive over to his office and just fix it for him!! LOL

Scott,

Thanks for the update. Why aren't they plugging rams anymore?

01-Feb-10
Ned here. I still need help with my computer. When I am on bowsite, It welcomes me as loesshillsarcher, but when i am posting it says that i am posting under Jakes handle. I have followed Mike's instructions but have not entered my Pin number because I cannot locate a Pin number prompt as my "cookie" is preventing it. I will enter under Jakes handle until I get it fixed.

01-Feb-10
Ned again. First of all, I want to thank Jake for coming along on this hunt with me. It is truly more enjoyable to be able to share a hunt like this with a great friend such as Jake. Thanks again. Jake helped me psychologically more than he knows. He even carried my bow a few times to help me maintain my strength during climbs. Scott Limmer was a great help when going through customs and checking in with Fish and Game. I owe him a favor some day. Anybody going through CITES stuff should contact him to aide in the process as he has done it quite a few time. I guess some new procedures were implemented but, with proper planning, the process can be greatly simplified.

TD.. that was a funny post!!!!!!

Jake and I believe that it will help to have another thread started on the intrecacies of hunting desert sheep in Mexico. Scott may have alot to contribute to this subject as well. We will most likely start a thread on that subject in the near future.

01-Feb-10

Ned here. This picture was pretty odd for me and Jake to capture. We found it funny to find a Blue Marlin in the desert. Jake looks funny, huh? He had a piece of cothing under his hat to thwart the sun on the back of his neck as it can be brutal. I used some sunblock to help me. Jake estimated it to be a nine footer.

01-Feb-10

Ned here. This a picture of our camp. It was on a beach!! Playa de Guillermo it was called. Our cook was named Guillermo and playa means beach. We ate well but I may not eat tortillas nor beans for awhile now. We found shark carcasses as well as other fish and lots of seashells on the beach.

01-Feb-10

Ned here. This was post hunt. A successful desert bighorn hunt tequila shot. I never do shots!!! We were at the bar and watched the Saints beat the Vikings. We thought Bigpizzaman would be happy about that. This is the bar that successfull archers shoot an arrow into a pole. I did that, however, I did it a few days after the tequila shots. Didn't want to miss that pole!!!!!!!!

01-Feb-10
Ned,

Congratulations!!!! Hope to see you at WSF.

John

01-Feb-10

I had been waiting a long time to be able to sink an arrow in the wooden pole at the bar. I didn't miss.

01-Feb-10
Congrats Ned. Great ram.

01-Feb-10

Ned again. A picture of the pole. My arrow is the bottom one. I almost hit the arrow just above mine. Arrows from archers such as Jake, Tom Foss, Chase Fulcher, Greg Bokash, and Scott Jankowski may be there also. Hopefully, TominPa on bowsite will have one in the pole next year

01-Feb-10

The owner of the bar. Mike is a cool guy.

01-Feb-10

More pics of the hunt. This was the first place that we went to. We would glass in a low location and move to better vantage points as the day progressed. It was exciting when the guides would finally determine that a ram was stalkable and in a good location. They would put there packs on and motion for me to get it in gear. Vamanos!!!

01-Feb-10

Jake and Victor glassing. Jake located my ram for me with the spotting scope he got a great deal on at Cabelas the day before we left. Thanks for spotting him. No old eyes (ojos viejos) on Jake!!

01-Feb-10

Walking to different vantage points.

01-Feb-10

Jake found a rattlesnake skin. Luckily we didn't come across one of them during the entire hunt. I wanted to see three animals on this trip. Of course one of them was a desert sheep, the others, scorpions and tarantulas. I saw them all!!

01-Feb-10

Jake and a guide Trino(or Trillo) near the vantage point that helped us pattern old "champion". I missed him the next day after a calculated stalk. Jake and I did the math after the miss while we were in camp. We think he must have been around 17 yards away. It was a steep angle and I should have known to use my 20 yard pin. I shoot whitetails often with a similar angle. Still am dissappointed with the miss but we stuck with it and got another opportunity 3 days later. We think the "champion" was upper 160's to lower 170's. We found evidence of some marine life at this elevation(old clam-like shells).

01-Feb-10
Ned: Do all clients get free service for the next few days if they listen well to your stories?? LOL Great job! Charlie

01-Feb-10

Me near old champion's lair. The desert was surprisingly beautiful to me. Lots of recent rainfall helped bring out some pretty shades of green.

01-Feb-10
Ned Glad that you made it back OK. Hopefully I will be able to fit in an arrow on that pole next year. I just want to know where Jake got that stylish hat that he is wearing in the photo with the Marlin.

01-Feb-10
Tom, Ned here. You will place an arrow in the pole for sure. I am extremely excited for you to have that opportunity. Would request that you get old "champion" as I want a closer look at him. If you need a couple partners, Jake and I would be up for it most likely. Ty allows two people to come along with you at no charge. How cool is that? I didn't know that until I got down there. We have started a helpful hint list for you to make your trip go smoothly. Good luck and pack that shoe if Jake will give it up. PS... thanks for the after-the-kill gift.

01-Feb-10
Ned consider it an invitation, but only if we can get Jake to wear the stylish hat get up. I will be picking your brains about the hunt over the next few months. I hope the after kill went down smoothly!

01-Feb-10

Jake glassing. There were four sheep in the cliffs over Jakes head. Two ewes and two young rams.

01-Feb-10

No es macho, es chico. Smaller ram we passed up. Fun to watch. I spotted one group of sheep myself. The guides were amazing at locating sheep. This was a good thing as I seemed to be very poor at finding them. The guides would give Brandon Powell a run for his money. I would bet on Brandon however. Now that I look closer at this pic, I think it is the ram that created a rock slide when I didn't have my bow close to me. Maybe the real medicinemann can interject.

01-Feb-10
Looks like an awesome adventure and to have Jake there to keep you laughing had to have been a blast!

Congrats again.

what is the deal with the Shark jaws? they local?

Some people have an Elephant as their dream specie, for me it is to catch a Shark on a hook and line!

michael

01-Feb-10
Ned again. Michael, I didn't ask about them. They sure were cool to look at. There were many shark jaws displayed around Loreto. With all of the remains Jake and I found on the beach, sharks must be plentiful in the nearby waters. I would "need a bigger boat" if I were to go after sharks.

01-Feb-10

Lookin back towards the ocean.

01-Feb-10

On day 4, the day after I missed "champion", we took a boat(barca) some distance down the shoreline. We glassed for sheep but didn't have any luck until we hiked aways inland. Here are three of the guides.... Victor(right), Jorge(left), and Trino(Trillo).

01-Feb-10

We saw hundreds of porpoises. Some pretty close to the boat.

01-Feb-10

Found a sea turtle shell. Guess this is a small one.

01-Feb-10

Lots of sea shells by the sea shore. Some had crabs living in them. It was neat to see the variety of different shells. Saw coyote tracks on this beach location as well. There were pumas in the area also but we didn't see any sign of them and the guides felt like they don't hurt the sheep populations much.

01-Feb-10

The nearest town was Agua Verde. Here is a typical structure of the casas(houses) they live in there.

01-Feb-10
Congrats Ned......mighty fittin' Jake was along for the ride also.

01-Feb-10
Outstanding story and pictures. Love the one of you guys ibn your sombreros throwing back the Tequila. I'll bet your spirits were pretty high at that point! Congratulations, and thanks to both of you for sharing!!!!

01-Feb-10
A sea turtle shell?

How much time did you spend on the beach? lol

michael

02-Feb-10
congras ,, what an area to bowhunt such great cover .

02-Feb-10

loesshillsarcher's embedded Photo
We saw a band of sheep first thing on day five and began climbing after them right away. Then the rain hit. It rained all day for the most part and the wind had to gust to 35-40 miles per hour at times. We would tuck under some overhanging rock to escape. Rock slides could be heard and seen regularly as the strata gave way to the water. I loved every minute. Jorge and I eventually climbed to the top and over and spotted the band. They were on a vertical face and unapproachable. The climb and descent took all day. Ned

02-Feb-10
I'm just glad to see that you got YOUR handle back!!

02-Feb-10

I'm back baby!

02-Feb-10

Tucked in out of the rain.

02-Feb-10

A rainbow appeared. The gold was in my pack, however, in the form of a golden horseshoe.

02-Feb-10

The sixth day found us glassing early and I realized that I had not seen a scorpion yet. I asked Trino(Trillo) if there were any around. He smiled and I went back to glassing. 30 seconds later, he was tapping me on the back. I turned around to see that he had two different sizes of scorpions in his hand. If you look for them they can be easily found. For the most part, they are of no concern while hunting.

02-Feb-10
You guys told me it was flat there?????

02-Feb-10
Ned thank you for posting and letting us enjoy a terrific hunt. Congratulations! Larry

02-Feb-10
Hey, your back! lol

fess up. I see Mr. Jaake packing a bow there. Did you make him carry your gear too! lol

So why aren't the Scorpions a concern? I thought those suckers stung anything that got near them...

Did you guys find any kills or remenants of a lion kill?

Did they say what % of their hunters are archers?

michael

02-Feb-10
Larry, It is fun to be able to share it with anyone interested. Thanks for all of the congratulations.

Michael, I imagine Jake picked that up for me at the time of the picture so that I didn't step on it. I am an accident waiting to happen. Jake did help me at times. With some vertical climbing, there were times I had to hand the bow up and use two hands. This was true coming down as well. Scorpions just weren't a concern as I never saw them unless I looked for them. If we would have made camp in the desert instead of the tent on the beach, it may have been different. I would check my shoes every morning and under my sleeping bag if that would have been the case.

The guides did say that "pumas" were in the area but we did not see evidence of them. Ned I do know that Ty Miller is 12 for 12 with archery hunters. He will be 13 for 13 if Tom Miranda is successful. I would say he may be around 25% with archery vs. rifle/muzzleloader.

02-Feb-10
Tom, It was flat. No mountains. There will not be any rain. I am being sarcastic of course. LOL

03-Feb-10
At least there are no rattle snakes :-O

03-Feb-10
Ned....congrats on a tremendous accomplishment and sharing your hunt. Beautiful country down there and a great ram. Well done!

03-Feb-10

Later in the day, on day six, a smaller ram was spotted by the guides. It was low on the mountain! Jake kept saying that we had better keep an eye on him as he thought a ram of that age would not be alone. About an hour after spotting the smaller ram, Jake spotted a larger ram walking towards the smaller ram. He was right. There was another "macho" ram around after all. This ram appeared to be a shooter. It was around 3:00pm and it was dark at 6:00pm so we made a move for this ram.

03-Feb-10

Two guides were left at this vantage point. Jake and I, along with Jorge and Victor began a methodical approach to the rams. After about an hour, we were positioned about 800 yards from them. Jake and Victor remained at this second vantage point while Jorge led me on the stalk for the regal burrego cimaron. Jorge was in kill mode and I had trouble keeping up with him but the thoughts of having another opportunity pushed me on. Jorge and I eventually crested a ridge and entered the arroyo the ram inhabited. I could hear him eating but couldn't spot him. Jorge kept whispering "blanca, blanca" and pointing up the arroyo. He was trying to tell me to look for the ram's white rump. I couldn't see it for awhile, but he soon thereafter materialized. A desert ram feeding unaware at 80 yards. What a gorgeous animal he was.

03-Feb-10

I continued the stalk as Jorge remained behind. The wind was poor and I had alot of loose rock and thorny bush to navigate. I would scoot on my butt and try not to dislodge rocks. Luckily, this time, I did not put my hand on any cactus! I closed to within 45 yards of the feeding ram and thought that that would have to do. The ram stopped feeding and began to thrash a palo blanco tree. It gave me an opportunity to move in another 10 yards. I even had time to turn my shoulder perfectly for the shot. I was in a sitting position and watched the ram go to town on that tree. If he stepped out on either side, I would have a 35 yard shot. He chose to go to my right and emerged from behind the vegetation and into the clear. The arrow struck behind the shoulder but a little bit low. He ran out to 55 yards and began to swagger. I was surprised that he didn't fall over. I felt that the shot was lethal. He was facing straight away from me and nearing a ridge. I decided to shoot again. The second arrow grazed his rump and went past. The ram topped the ridge with his front half on the other side and his rump positioned on the crest. The range was 65 yards and I had only a "rump" shot. The arrow was true and the ram went over the ridge. I met up with Jorge and he felt like the ram would soon be dead. We retrieved my first arrow and followed the trail. We topped the ridge and saw the ram under a tree. He was standing facing away from me again so I decided to get another arrow into him. The ram was now stumbling down hill. I moved around and positioned myself for a broadside shot. The final arrow was true and found the lungs. I would have liked to have had a one shot kill but I didn't want to risk losing this beautiful animal.

03-Feb-10

We celebrated but it was getting dark. The guides moved the ram downhill and hung it from a tree to begin the caping and quartering process. It was late when we got back to camp. The next day, the guides finished the caping. A decision was made to break camp as the guides wanted to see their families. Jake and I would head back to Loreto for a couple days until Jake flew home.

03-Feb-10

Jake and I walked the shore before we left. We found some things like shark heads and rays.

03-Feb-10
Ned, once again, congrats. I cant get enough of the story and the pictures. Do you know what mount your going to get yet?

03-Feb-10

03-Feb-10
Rob, Thanks again. I will have a full body mount on a pedestal for now. My long term goal is to have a mountain some day. On the mountain, I want to put the four sheep, mountain goat, black bear, and a coues deer being chased by a mountain lion. At the base of the mountain, in a polar setting, I will position my polar bear and muskox. All life size. On the walls surrounding will be shoulder mounts. Hopefully, a pool table, bar, and entertainment center also. That is my dream so I am working on the animals first, then the house and game room. I have a dream.... LOL

03-Feb-10

A picture of the bay that our camp was positioned on. Narrow gravel roads with steep drop offs were the norm around our hunting area.

03-Feb-10

A view on the ride back to Loreto.

03-Feb-10
Ned: I got the mountain and need the animals. Guess I did it backwards!

03-Feb-10
Tom: Most likely I am the one confused but since I don't have a family at present, I am huntin'. Probably should have secured a big enough house first. Oh well.

03-Feb-10

While back in Loreto, Jake and I prepared the cape. Resalted and dried. Took it to the roof of the Sante Fe Hotel and resalted. When in the room it hung over the shower door. Maides probably didn't like us.

03-Feb-10
Not that is funny. Top of the hotel salting a cape!

Great pics Ned, thanks!

i like your dream by the way~

03-Feb-10

We walked some streets in Loreto and stopped at a coffee shop. Here Jake is working on the story for Bowsiter's to enjoy.

03-Feb-10

A street in Loreto

03-Feb-10
Congrats on a great hunt, Ned.

I have some friends who operate sea-kayaking and whale-watching trips down there so I've been to Loreto a few times. I enjoy it far more than the over-gringo-ized Baja destinations like Cabo.

03-Feb-10
THATS AWSOME Ned!! Congrats!!! GREAT READ Thanks Jake

03-Feb-10
Thanks for sharing guys. Probably something I'll never get to do. Congrats. Bill V.

04-Feb-10

Jake went home a few days before I did. When he went to the airport, Ty Miller and I were waiting for Tom Miranda and crew to arrive. He brought his camera man, Martin, and Chad Lenz. It was nice to meet these people. Tom has only four animals to complete the superslam. The next day we took Tom and crew to his destination, the Santa Domingo range. This range is steep and is the one that Fred Eichler hunted for his desert sheep. Ty and I then went to La Paz to fill out deportation forms in order to get my sheep home. Here we visited a restaurant in La Paz for some killer tacos!!

04-Feb-10

Jake went home a few days before I did. When he went to the airport, Ty Miller and I were waiting for Tom Miranda and crew to arrive. He brought his camera man, Martin, and Chad Lenz. It was nice to meet these people. Tom has only four animals to complete the superslam. The next day we took Tom and crew to his destination, the Santa Domingo range. This range is steep and is the one that Fred Eichler hunted for his desert sheep. Ty and I then went to La Paz to fill out deportation forms in order to get my sheep home. Here we visited a restaurant in La Paz for some killer tacos!!

04-Feb-10

They had bottled coke! My favorite!!

04-Feb-10

We then headed back to Loreto where we had to check in with Fish and Game. They measured the sheep, kept its mandible, and filled out more paper work. I carried my cape and horns on the plane. Scott Limmer assisted me when clearing customs and checking in with US Fish and Wildlife in Los Angeles. I appreciated the help as it was foreign to me and Scott has done it a time or two. Traveling with the hide and horns was uneventful. The sheep ended up scoring 154 green.

04-Feb-10
Overall, I would say that this was the most enjoyable hunt that I have been on. Perhaps it was because I was able to share it with a friend, but I have to give Ty Miller of El Fuerte outfitters credit. The camp was comfortable, the guides were awesome and friendly, and the hunt was incredible. I already desire to return to the Loreto area. Because of finances, if I do, it will most likely not be to hunt sheep again. The weather and alot of fishing opportunities will make a return visit a given for me. Hope you all enjoyed the summary of this hunt. I particularly enjoy reading the stories of all the hunts on bowsite. Keep 'em coming everbody. Ned

04-Feb-10
Ned, once again, outstanding, you accomplished what a very select few will ever do- a desert sheep with the bow. To take it with a friend makes it all that more the better. Please post pics of the mount when you get it back!

Any word on how Tom Miranda is making out. If im not mistaken, if he is sucessful, he will complete his sheep slam with the desert.

04-Feb-10
Thanks Rob! I will post a pic when the mount is done. I haven't heard how Tom has done. It will complete his sheep slam. He told me he needs a Bison, Roosevelt Elk, and Tule Elk for the superslam.

04-Feb-10
Wow, that looks like a cool hunt. Sheep, Deserts, Oceans, Boats, Porpoises, Bows, Spotting scopes, Good Friends, and a couple shots to celebrate. I guess I will not apply for the Co. non res tag, I will save the $3 toward this hunt.

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing.

04-Feb-10
On second thought, "DIBS" on that golden horse shoe for the application process in Co. I guess Jake probably already has dibs, darn.

04-Feb-10
Ned: You are welcome to join me and Hollywood for my sheep hunt. You just won't be dumping the string on this one. You guys did a great job on telling of your hunt. I appreciate it and I am looking forward to next January.

05-Feb-10
Just got back from Mexico myself, congrat's on a great hunt you guys!!!

03-May-10

Jake loaned to me the golden horseshoe. I did give it back. Just giving you a hard time Jake. Lol.

29-Dec-10
Going back to help another bowsiter. Hope he is getting excited!! Hope this helps him get even more excited.

29-Dec-10
Thanks for reposting this story, i think i loved it more this time than the first. Please let us know how you make out on the hunt.

31-Dec-10
Ned

How does Tom in PA sleep after looking through your wonderful post? You guys are going to have a blast down there. Do you have any photos of your "mountain".

31-Dec-10
The camp where we stayed last year had a small generator. Since I had taken a laptop, there were several nights that I would fire up the computer to show hunting videos (unfortunately, I only took two!!). This year we'll have a much larger selection to work with.....we'll be eating dinner every night while watching movies.....it's going to be a blast. I know, I know, it isn't exactly a hard core "in the mountains" adventure that most sheep hunts are.....but it IS an adventure....just of a different sort.

We're only two weeks away.....I guess that it is actually time to start looking for, and packing gear. The great thing about arctic hunts and hunts in Mexico, is that the seasons frequently occur in the off season.

With the exception of Spring turkey season, usually there isn't much to bowhunt in the first half of the year. Instead of competing with the available time during each Fall hunting season, by planning a Spring adventure you get to anticipate yet another hunt rather than go through "withdrawal". When the Spring adventure is over, we only have 6-7 months before the next Fall hunting season..... rather than 10-11 months.....

01-Jan-11
What was the outcome for Miranda?

01-Jan-11
What was the outcome for Miranda?

01-Jan-11

01-Jan-11
I believe that Tom Miranda was only able to hunt a few days and then had to return home - I do not think that he tagged a ram in that short period of time. He will be back down there within two weeks of Tom inPa in 2011.

01-Jan-11
Thanks Medicineman. What the heck is up with all the double post lately????

01-Jan-11
Nice ram thanks for sharing the story

02-Jan-11
Jake and Tom,

Might want to print out some of the regs from the USDA website and USFWS website to take with you in case you get a Customs Agent that knows nothing of them. Could save you a lot of time and headaches. Ned was able to make his connecting flight cause we had everything ready. Let me know if you need any help. On the USDA website you can download and fill in the Form 3-177 and then print it to take with you. The rest of the form is completed after harvest. Also print out the USDA regs about cape and horn importation. Capes should be flint dried (well salted and stiff, not wet) or frozen. Keeping a cape fully frozen is tough to do and more risky for importation. Good luck!

02-Jan-11
I understand that Tom Miranda will complete his Superslam with a desert bighorn this year.

03-Jan-11
Thanks Scott for the information. I wil print out the forms and have a look.

06-Jan-11
Tom,

I talked with Dr. Traci Butler from USDA yesterday. There is a new reg that says you must certify (print up your own written statement at home and take it with you and sign it in MX) that the cape was frozen solid for 24hrs before leaving MX. The cape then needs to be thawed for tick inspection by the time you get to US Customs. After thawing, you could salt it so it won't spoil/hair slip. You can get around the freezing reg if you can get the cape re-salted several times to the point that it becomes "hard-dried." This means the flesh side should be fairly stiff like cardboard and no longer wet. If you are going to hangout and fish/kickback for a few days, this is possible. Otherwise, take it somewhere in Loreto and get it in a freezer for a day and a half. Also THOROUGHLY scrape the skullcap so there is no wet flesh or sinew and then salt it so it is not wet. Call the USFWS in Torrence, CA a couple days before you leave MX if flying through LAX to arrange for a USFWS Inspector to meet you at LAX US Customs. They will want the original copy of your CITES and a USFWS Form 3-177. Plus they will look to make sure you have the MX PROFEPA export permit, and a hunt contract but will not keep those. The USFWS Inspectors are fine to deal with if you are ready. They are better than US Customs as the Customs folks don't deal with this stuff enough and many times don't know what to do.

Good luck!

06-Jan-11
Many Many Thanks Scott. Hope we cross paths some day. I'll buy the beer.

06-Jan-11
Good infor Scott. Scott, are you going to be in Mexico when Tom is hunting?

11-Jan-11
No. Still have two January bull elk hunts to guide. Going later and then again in April after the season closes to show WSF President Gray Thornton around. He wants to gain 1st hand knowledge of the hunting areas.

11-Jan-11

tthomas's embedded Photo
tthomas's embedded Photo
Friend just rolled through Loreto and found this photo. Tom in PA is up next. Good luck boys. Tom, you have to shoot through the door from the parking lot.

11-Jan-11
With the sombrero on as well. For some reason I was nervous!!! as all get out when I took that shot. Can't wait to watch TominPA take his turn. My arrow is still there. Cool!

15-Jan-11
Tom on Jake's computer. We are sitting in LAX waiting for our flight to Loreto. Ned is already there waiting for us. Hope he has a big ram tied up for me. The current bowhunter has had several opportunities and may still be hunting. We may be in Loreto for a few days. Jake will start a separate new thread upon our return.

15-Jan-11
good luck how long is the hunt?

15-Jan-11
Twelve days.....

15-Jan-11
Good luck Tom!

• Sitka Gear