SAVILO 25-Mar-14
sticksender 25-Mar-14
HuntingAdict 25-Mar-14
DuckhunterBrad 25-Mar-14
Mad Trapper 25-Mar-14
Z Barebow 25-Mar-14
15-May-12
From NM Dept of Game and Fish.

Resident and Non-Resident Rocky Mountain and Desert Sheep draw totals for the 2012 Draw (Ram hunt codes only)

Desert BHS (Rams tags only) 1 Resident (6.6%) 15 Nonresident (93.7%

Rocky Mountain BHS (Ram tags only) 9 Resident (75 %) 3 Nonresident (25%)

Rocky Mountain and Desert Combined (Ram tags only) 10 Resident (35.7%) 18 Nonresident (64.2%)

15-May-12
What was the res nr breakdown?

16-May-12
? you mean applicants? I don't know. Statistically there were 15:1 nonresident:resident applicants for desert sheep. it may not be that high of a ratio but its probably in the range or it is unlikely the draw ratio would have been as it was.

16-May-12
Sounds like a lot of NR's loaned them 3 grand.

16-May-12
Man i was hopin for a tag nada. I would have guessed 75% to NR.

16-May-12
I have the draw odds back thru 2002. With a cpl exceptions, which evened out after 2 years, the draw success runs on par with the total res/nr app percentage. The res/nr pool totals favor the NR roughly on a 60/40 basis without going back and doing the math. There were a cpl years where the NR did have a pretty good percentage of the apps vs residents though.

16-May-12
Amazing that while more than 45000 New Mexico residents apply for deer and/or elk tags, less than 3000 residents put in for a Bighorn Sheep License at $161.00.

16-May-12
I have seen the same trends as WapitiBob. Did you notice that last year the Res/Nonres 1st choice applicants for Wheeler were pretty even at about 500 to 550 each and non-residents drew all four tags?

Now that there all ewe tags, I disregard them when I do the math. Not many nonres are going to pay $3k to hunt ewes. Last year zero applied...

16-May-12
"Amazing that while more than 45000 New Mexico residents apply for deer and/or elk tags, less than 3000 residents put in for a Bighorn Sheep License at $161.00. "

No kidding, thats awmazing quite frankly.

16-May-12
I applied, but was not one of the lucky ones. I have applied every year since 2002.

17-May-12
MNHunter: $161 is a weeks pay...

17-May-12
yea, no kidding in NM on the $161.wk. That's prob before taxes...

17-May-12
I saw Santa Fe has the highest minimum wage in the country ($10.29/hr), over 2.5 times the $4/hr $161 would be a 40 hr work week for... Now.... How many anywhere make $3200 in a week? That's $80 per hour for a 40 hour week or over $160K per year... I find it incredible only about 3000 NM residents apply for sheep...

18-May-12
NM $161 a weeks pay, where do you poor guys work? I think more to do with they are hard to road hunt! I just think that sheep are kind of unique in those that want to hunt them. I think it would be awsome and one of the hardest to earn trophies. Good luck to all this coming fall!

26-May-12
Sage....."$161 dollars a week"; is a "weak" attempt at being funny!!!

I've been applying for close to 20yrs as a resident with no tag. The resident quota will be applied to these hunts in the future, you watch!!

26-May-12
If they do the # of 3000.00 a pop applications will take a nosedive. It was just a joke. I live in WV, have all my teeth and have never slept with my sister or cousin yet I have to put up with the jokes all the time. Some of them are kinda funny!

26-May-12
gobbler your right there will be a hit with the number of NR apps but I bet the the number of resident applicants will skyrocket. Some people I've talked to including family members who don't apply now; is because of the super low draw odds when competing with the Nation and not just your own state. Granted with the limited amount of tags the draw odds will still be low if/when we get that stupid law changed.

I understand and appreciate good humor but it was a "weak" attempt at best. I gotta run now because my candle is almost out and I still need to haul water before it gets dark ;) Oh yeah and contrary to popular belief we are part of the United States too lol :)

27-May-12
$161 is more than I made this week....honestly. I'm self employed and some weeks are better than others (fortunately, this week).

The resident quota definitely needs to be applied. The history behind why it isn't is both embarrassing and telling about how things have historically "worked" (quite the opposite IMO) in NM.

There is no doubt that many NR's will then stop applying. The truth is though, that the odds of drawing are so ridiculously low anyway, that many NR's treat that app the same as they do a "Mega Millions" ticket...it really is a lottery ticket. For that reason many will still apply.

Regardless, there comes a time when principles must come before dollars. Admittedly, the NMDG&F needs both. Luckily they have been operating with a surplus of the latter for years. As for principles...things are getting better. There are strong solutions to current problems which allow for an adequate budget and increased fairness to residents.

NR's also need a fair shake. Equal draw odds for residents and NR's isn't the ideal system IMO. I'm a NM resident, and I maintain that exact opinion regarding the other 49 states in which I do not have residency.

27-May-12
I couldn't blame NMGF if they change to a NR quota system. If I was a resident I'd be truly ticked about the situation. But I dearly hope that they will consider getting rid of the multiple choice option on unit picks. There's no good reason for it that I'm aware of. It does not help individual draw odds in any way, but it probably does psych some into believing so. One hunt code per applicant could improve the odds landscape considerably for those willing to take a "lesser" hunt.

27-May-12
I appreciate your suggestion stick sender. I think I'll start that discussion on the NM forum to hear what other people's opinions are regarding the multiple choice options. Thanks for the comment.

25-Mar-14
In light of the new court ruling; I dug up this old thread. I'm pumped to say the least! It's about time this happened for the states residents. I do feel bad that the NRs had already put in for this year and hope they do get a speedy refund if so desired. I may still never draw but maybe one of my family or friends may be blessed with good fortune for a BHS tag.

25-Mar-14
3000 res apps and about 35 tags isn't much to cheer about but when compared to a combined res/nr 6000 apps and 35 tags it looks pretty good.

25-Mar-14
It's a very positive change for NM residents. BH is just one of the species tags affected. Regardless, it's not good for anybody (even those who it's good for) to have the rules changed after the application deadline. That IMO is bad for everyone involved.

25-Mar-14
So now that tags are allocated how they really should be, NM should lower the NR sheep tag price to be more in line with, not only the average sheep tag price, but what a sheep tag ought to cost: somewhere south of 2 grand instead of the outrageous 3100 bucks.

25-Mar-14
NM should now charge NR's a $100 application fee for Sheep and consider the hunter(s) who draw the tag a true winner and not charge them a tag fee at all. After all, it's a lottery right? If you win...YOU WIN!

25-Mar-14
+ artichill

25-Mar-14
arctic, that would most definitely NOT be desirable to NR's. Why would we want to have our app cost increased by 5X? Long-shot 1:3000 odds might just barely be worth the 20.00 it costs now to apply. But IMO not worth 100.00. Simple for NR's to use a Credit Card and pay off the balance quickly, thus virtually no other costs.

25-Mar-14
Anyone else upset that they changed the rules AFTER they took all our money for the "chance" at a tag? How is that legal? When I applied there was one set of rules and now that they have my money they are going to change them? Sounds like bait and switch to me!!

25-Mar-14
Using the current formula for elk, will NR even have a chance at A tag?

25-Mar-14
I suspect that NM NR revenue will see a dramatic decline. I wonder how they are going to make that revenue up?????? Can you say BIG license fee hikes for residents??????

25-Mar-14
Using the percentages the state uses for elk and deer in NM, the percentages are applied PER UNIT. If this is the case, the only tag an NR could pull in a NM is a ewe tag in 53B/55. (Data I saw had 11 ewe tags available for 2014)

The tag allocations round down for elk (At least I the high demand units with low allocations I reviewed). If there are only 4 ram tags in a unit, no way an NR could draw if elk/deer math holds.

I see it as DuckhunterBrad sees it.

Keep in mind, it is the COURT who changed the rules, NMG&F has to follow the rules imposed by court.

I am not defending ruling. The timing and enforcement timing sucks to high heaven. I am sure today is a forgettable day for most customer service folks at NMG&F. I wouldn't want to answer that phone!

• Sitka Gear