cornfed 01-Feb-08
bowjack 01-Feb-08
bowjack 01-Feb-08
fishmagician 01-Feb-08
cornfed 13-Feb-08
Allen Bolen 14-Feb-08
cornfed 14-Feb-08
20-Sep-07
i am booked with bolen & lewis for an oct. 08 goat hunt and i am wanting find the best boots for the hunt early for a real good break in any suggestions would be helpful

I have looked at mendel and asolo but i am from kansas so i dont know anything about climbing boots.

thanks

20-Sep-07
While I have not hunted Goats, I have hunted Sheep and I use mountaineering boot by Koflach. Plastic double boots do not have a break-in period, so you need to make sure they fit correctly and are confortable before you leave the store. Because of this, you may have to try different models and makes before you find a boot that fits you best. I like the boot so much that I use it hunting elk/deer during the later seasons. I just love the extra support when climbing and decending the mountains.

20-Sep-07
Being from Oklahoma I had the same question. I went with Bolen and Lewis this past spring on a bear hunt. They recommended Asolo and that is what I went with. I also own Mendels but after wearing the Asolos I won't buy anything else. Great boot. I bought another pair for my goat hunt with them in Oct '09. These guys spent a lot of time in the mountains and have put their gear to the test.

Best of luck on your hunt. You picked a great bunch of guys to hunt with. They are top notch.

20-Sep-07
Lowa Sheep Hunters.

20-Sep-07
You will probably want something with some insulation in them. Second the Lowa Sheep Hunters.

Remember - brand name means nothing if the boots do not fit your foot perfectly.

20-Sep-07
I really like my HanWag's. I don't have any experience with any of the others listed but you can view the HanWag's at Lathrop and Sons web site.

22-Sep-07
I just got back and used HanWag's as well. They worked great. I also have a difficult to fit foot, size 15.

The guides all wore Asolo.

23-Sep-07
HanWags are axcellent as well as Kenetrek out of Montana and Lowa Sheep Hunters. I have worn the Kenetrek for sheep and goat guiding and on my own hunts. Now is the time to buy boots and get them broke in unless you by plastics, like Koflach which I use in the late season with instep crampons.

23-Sep-07
We recommend the Asolos. You need the summer mountaineering model. This year the model is called the Expert, last year it was the Titan.

Allen

10-Nov-07

RamDreamer's Link
Different people have different feet, so the boot question is a person by person issue. I have very narrow feet. The best boots I've ever used are the Lowa boots previously mentioned here (I've inserted a link above). Be sure that the boots fit YOU, are comfortable and don't cause you any problems. It can be tedious and long term work to find the boots that will work for you. Smart on your part to be researching this now.

My wife wears Asolo after years of searching for a descent boot (she has a very narrow heal and blisters just thinking about going for a hike).

10-Nov-07
I've used Han Wags for the last five years and love them to the point that I will likely not use anything else, particularly in the mountains.

Keep in mind though, the socks you wear are nearly as important. When I started mountain hunting, I wore cheap acrylic socks by themselves. Of course I got blisters to the point that it affected my ability to hunt hard!!

I now wear a thin synthetic liner sock and cover it with a good quality wool sock. This keeps my feet about as dry as they can be, the liner sock wicks persperation away, and the wool sock keeps me warm and comfortable. I currently wear Smartwool, Thorlo, and Ultimax socks, all seem to work about the same.

10-Nov-07
I wear Koflach plastic boots because where I hunt I often have to cross glaciers or snowfields and need a boot that will accept full crampons. They are heavy for the hike up, but you can't beat em for sidehilling. And if you have to cross a creek or stream you take the inner boot off and out of the plastic shell. Wear only the plastic shell, then pour out the water on the other side and have dry feet. Also when it gets down below freezing, I put the liner boot in the foot of my sleeping bag with me and have warm feet to start the day out with warm feet. When hiking the flats to get there or needing to cover long distances I just do not tie the top two eyelets and have a lot more ankle flexion.

10-Nov-07
I would have probably gone with the Cabelas Alaskan hunters made by Mendel.

"i am wanting find the best boots for the hunt early for a real good break in"

You must have a different idea about what a good break in period is. Figuring a couple of more days to make a decision would make it Sept 22-23. Even with overnight shipping that makes it Sept 24 for receiving the boots. With leaving for the hunt at least a day early (Oct 7th) that would leave only 12 days for "break in". Hope you wore them to work every day. Don't mean this as a smart a remark, but guys need to know that they should plan more ahead. There is nothing worse than a tough hunt and developing blisters from a new pair of boots. A dream hunt can turn into a nightmare.

By the way, what boots did you pick and how did they work out?

10-Nov-07
txhunter58..........I think he means Oct. 2008.

I think he has plenty of break in time.

10-Nov-07
After doing this hunt with B/L I would strongly recommend you follow Allen's advice. I used a very good pair of Meindle's (European model, not the Cabela's catalog stuff) and although they performed well, a mountaineering boot is what you really need in that country. Listen to the guys that do it every day.

Oh yea, follow the rest of their gear list as well. Unless you spend a ton of time backpacking in the high country they now what you need way better than you do. Good luck, you are in for a tremendous experience.

10-Nov-07
"know", not now!

10-Nov-07
Lowa Tibets

14-Nov-07
Hey guys, we do recommend Asolos. I wear the Granites and the Experts are also one model I would recommend. I know all feet are different so look around. The bottom line is you need a full shank mountaineering boot...bar none. I like a boot with gore-tex as well. Lowas and Meindals are good boots but you will fall down more and exert allot more energy when trying to side hill. Trust me I have seen it many, many times. Hunters flailing around because their boots are to soft. You need a full shank boot that will cut into the sidehill. A lowa or meindel hunting boot is not stiff enough. Our country is not like sheep country you need to be able to dig into a wet sidehill that is probably covered in brush. Plastic boots can be good for some people as well. Asolo makes them as do several other companies. They are heavier, but have some other advantages. PM me for more info. Thanks,

Spike

01-Dec-07
Hey guys, I just finished four successful winter mountain goat hunts. If you phoned and asked any of my clients that just left they will tell you they did not have the right boots. They wore Asolo half shank hiking boots and one guy wore Lowa sheep hunters. These are all good boots, but not for this type of hunting. I watched them struggle, fall down all day long over stuff my guides and I just walked over. It was exhausting for them as well as dangerous in places. I thought about this post the whole time.

I think I said you need a full shank boot above, well I think my boots may be a 3/4 shank. Bottom line is you need a stiff boot. If you take your boot, you should not be able to bend them length ways or with a sideways twisting motion. (a 3/4 shank boot will flex slightly and I mean slightly length ways but not sideways and that is important. A 1/2 shank boots you can almost fold either way this is bad.) Put some effort into it. If you can, it is not the right boot.

Cautious to get a boot you can walk in. Some boots are for mixed mountaineering these are what you want. If it walks clunky like a ski boot it will be mighty uncomfortable by the end of the day. This is one of the main problem with some plastic boots they are heavy and flat soled. If you get on any flat or moderate ground it will not be comfortable, they are not built for that. There are lots of good 3/4 or full shank boots that are rockered (slightly curl up in the toe) if you look at the side profile, these boots hike great.

These are just my opinions, but they have come from years of watching struggling hunters in my area. Just trying to share what I have learned and observed.

Spike

04-Dec-07
FYI- The Asolo Granite GV's that Spike mentions above are on sale at Sierra Trading post for $155.00 a heck of a deal.If you are on their emaillist you can also get 20% off and free shipping... I just bought a backup pair for $124.00 and free shipping... I wore them in Spike's area this year and I got along well and my feet were bonedry after 21 days of rain...I would suggest giving them the bathtub test right away though to eliminate any leakers.... Good Luck, Brian

04-Dec-07
I read a few reviews on the Asolos and they were not good. Have any of your boots fallen apart ater use? I would assume not since you recomend them but its weird that you can read great reviews from one group and horrible from another. Thanks

04-Dec-07
I like the Meindel (sp) Canadian boots, get um caulked.

Beau

04-Dec-07
Hey Brian, the price on that site that I found is 199.95 not 155.00, can you send me a link to that 155 price if you can find it?

04-Dec-07
I got the same thing when I tried too Chris. $199.95

04-Dec-07
Guys, They were $155 this morning. Their prices move frequently. Get on their email list and keep a close eye on them. I'm glad my order went through!!! Be patient, they will come back down and alot of their discaounts come through email.

Brian

05-Dec-07
Hey Jimbob, the only issue I have had with my Asolo's is the shank separated internally after 1 and 3/4 guiding seasons. Oh and this is the longest I have ever got out of one pair of boots. This is the all leather Granites. I think I would destroy the Synthetic outer Asolos, but my partner Allen has had good luck with them.

There are many great boot manufacturers out there and you should buy them for the fit so try lots on. The style and function is what I am stressing in my posts.

Spike

05-Dec-07
Kenetrek or Lowa Sheep Hunters.

06-Dec-07
Koflach plastic have served me well hunting sheep in Alaska for many years. I love the ability to remove the liners and dry them out overnight in my sleeping bag because my feet sweat a lot and they always end up damp.

Carl

06-Dec-07

pupper's Link
Lowa sheep hunters, Kenetrex, or even Danners, they held up for me on my alpine hunts.

06-Dec-07
Second the Lowa Sheep Hunter. Awesome boots !!

06-Dec-07
Asolo is the only boot I put on and hunted and it felt like it was made for my feet. They have held up good this year. I think they are going to last several years. I bought some Vasque at REI and with only one elk hunt the soles separated. Returned them and the second pair did the same thing. Returned them got the Asolo and never looked back.

08-Dec-07
They have the Asolo Granite boots at Sierra Trading Post for $155 again today. Sign up for their Email and get an additional 20% off. That brings them to $124 and includes free shipping just like Brian said.

08-Dec-07
Have used Meindls for a goat and two sheep hunts in the last two years. They are heavy but the stiffness is a real asset. I'll be 60 tomorrow and if they'll get my fat old butt around the mountain, they must be good.

08-Dec-07
I read a couple of reviews by people who stated the Asolo Granites blew out on htne shortly after getting and using them. ANyone ever have problems like that?

16-Dec-07
I would like to add that in addition to getting the Asolo Granites for $124 Sierra Trading Post sent me a gift card for $50 in the mail yesterday.

22-Jan-08
Curious how many people go with a lighter boot?

I hunt in Keen targhees, which are light weight. Definitely not full shank. Im in the steep stuff most of the year and find foot conditioning to play a huge factor in performance.

Im no expert so if you are in the market for boots listen to the experts above, Im doing about 40 - 100 miles a month in the shoes I hunt in on steep country.

My question is geared to folks doing the same thing as I am.

Tried Asolo fugitive GTX's last year, great boot, got some toe slam going downhill as I am a double E and they sold me a normal. They were a great performing boot though.

Is the full shank, or 3/4 recommended because of the steep terrain, the heavy load, or both? Might look at another pair that fit better to compare against how the targhees perform.

22-Jan-08
I have both Koflach Alaska Hunters (plastic discontinued) and Lowa Tibets (leather). I've hunted both sheep and goat in the Lowa Tibets and goats in the Koflach.

I'd go with plastics for steep, wet, cold, goat hunts in glacier country.

If it's going to be long, flat hikes or warm, dry climate I'd go with leather.

Overall I'd much rather be in the Lowas.

23-Jan-08
I have the Lowa sheep hunters and they are great. I have heard great things about Mendls too. Make sure you get a quality pair of boots for mountain hunting. This is a different animal than whitetail hunting on flat terrain. I do not sheep or goat hunt, but I do hunt elk in very rough terrain.

23-Jan-08

muskeg in hyder's Link
I use these ..... It is what you need out here hunting the coastal Goats.

01-Feb-08
On the Asolo's, how does the sizing run? I usually wear a 10.5, but do I need to worry about heavy socks, etc. when wearing these boots? Can they be worn COMFORTABLY in other terrain, i.e. elk hunting, spot and stalk deer, etc? I am guessing that you want these to fit pretty good and not to sloppy.

01-Feb-08
first,before ya buy the boots,determine the best socks your gonna use.buy them,then go for the boots.

01-Feb-08
I went ahead and ordered the Asolo Granites as recommended by Spike and Allen, among others. I found them on the Sierra Trading Post and after subscirbing to their e-mail deal, I got them for $159 with free shipping. Seems like a good deal.

01-Feb-08
IMO deciding on a make/model of boot without trying them on first is the wrong way to go about it. Boots need to have certain features and be of a certain quality to make the list for consideraton, but beyond that fit is WAY more important than brand. Certain brands/certain lasts simply will not fit certain feet.

01-Feb-08
You are right, it would probably be best to try them on first, but, if they don't feel right I can send them back. Kind of hard to find a bunch of different mountaineering boots to try on in smallville s.e. iowa. For now I will just have to trust those that use this type of equipment for a living.

01-Feb-08
Matt,

I beleive cornfed can send them back if they don't fit or is unhappy with them. I ordered two pair in different sizes kept the ones that fit the best and sent the other pair back. I think the shipping was under $6.

01-Feb-08
There you go Brian you beat me to it.

01-Feb-08
I looked at all the boots made, and settled on the Kenetreck, you find them on line. AFter a year and half I love 'em..

13-Feb-08
Just got my Asolo's in the mail. They fit and feel great. They are definately a different style of boot than what I am used to. Talk about ankle support! I am looking forward to hiking in some of the bluffs on the river here in preparation for my goat hunt.

14-Feb-08
When using a 3/4 or full shank boot remember that there is a significant break-in period. It is much different than a light hiker.

I was at Cabelas the other day and looked at the Alaska Hiker by Meindl. It looks like a great boot. It's a bit heavier than the Asolo, but it looks to have plenty of support for loads on steep slopes. I did not see one other boot there that I would wear in the mountains.

Allen Bolen

14-Feb-08
"When using a 3/4 or full shank boot remember that there is a significant break-in period. It is much different than a light hiker."

Yeah, they are pretty stiff. Should work out great as now so I can put some miles on them while training.

• Sitka Gear