elkaddict 05-Dec-08
medicinemann 06-Dec-08
BB 06-Dec-08
Mitch 07-Dec-08
wildwilderness 07-Dec-08
Packout 17-Dec-08
BULELK1on BlkBry 18-Dec-08
05-Dec-08
In view of the fact that I have NO Shiras Moose preference points in any state (was saving up for sheep, which I drew last year), at the ripe old age of 52, I am thinking that my chances of being drawn are pretty slim for at least 6-7 years....putting me pretty close to 60. I don't think I want to be packing out a Shiras Moose at that age, so I'm considering alternatives that would allow me to hunt them within the next year or two.

I subscribe to the Huntin' Fool and I recently found a Shiras Moose hunt available in Utah. From the sound of things, I get the impression that landowners can get moose tags, and then sell/lease them to licensed outfitters/guides, who in turn can sell them to hunters. Since it would probably take me many years to draw a license (I used all of my golden horseshoes luck last year on a bighorn sheep tag), I might consider this alternative.

I am looking for anyone that might be able to provide any additional information....before I consider booking such a bowhunt. One such outfitter/guide is named Jed Wayment. Any general info or specific info would be a appreciated.

05-Dec-08
PM sent.

michael

05-Dec-08
Medicineman, sent you a PM.

05-Dec-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Jake, bid on the Govenors moose tag and then hunt it without a guide. It will give you the best areas in the state to hunt and if you do it without a guide, it will save you a ton.

If you get the tag and do it on your own, I will be happy to share what I know about Utah's moose.

Here's a couple photos I took last year of a moose who came in for a drink when I was hunting mule deer. I'ts a shooter Shiras moose, beleive me.

Have a great bowhunt BB

05-Dec-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's the same moose walking away.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

05-Dec-08
Shooter BB?? That would be a serious understatement!

What have the UT auction tags been going for?

michael

05-Dec-08
BB,

Is that a Utah bull?!! Is your camera zoomed in on that bull? If not, just how close did you get?!! What a great animal, AND a great photo!!

Michael (aka mn_archer) took the words out of my mouth!! Both for the size of that bull, AND what the governors tag probably goes for. I'm pretty sure that it is out of my price range, but hey, you never know....!! Just where and when is this tag auctioned off, anyways?

Mul Pwr,

Is Jim Sigg in Utah? Do you have any contact info, or can I find him via Google? I DO attend the Harrisburg Sports Show every year. I'll make it a point to find him if I don't contact him first. Do you know the name of his outfit?

Jake

05-Dec-08
With the velvet off that's still a stud!

05-Dec-08
That's such a crusher, yikes!

Makes me wonder why I've been applying for goat all these years in UT.

05-Dec-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
That's a Utah bull. I took its photo one evening last August while hunting mule deer. In fact that bull almost cost me the buck deer I ended up shooting that same evening. He charged the buck as the buck tried to water and in the end, ran him off. He (the buck deer) made the mistake of stopping and staring at this bull and I reached for my bow, drew it and shot the buck, all the while the bull was standing watching it all happen. I was about 20 yards from the bull when I took the first photos at the waterhole. After I shot the buck, I hiked up the hill to get phone reception and ran into the bull again and took the photo when he's walking away. It was taken from about 30 yards or so.

Here's a photo of the buck I killed that evening as he is trying to water. The Bull Moose is about 12-15 yards from the buck when I took this photo of him.

I will post a second photo which shows the buck running away after the moose scared it, and both that bull and buck deer are in that photo. Right after I took the photo showing both critters, the deer stopped and looked back at the bull and that's when I got rid of my camera and got my bow. About 10 seconds after I took that picture, the buck was on his death run.

05-Dec-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's the photo showing the bull moose and the deer as the events of that evening unfolded.

Can't you see why I like to havemy camera handy, as I'm too big of a BSer to tell stories like that and expect others to believe them, unless I have the photos to go along with it:-)

Have a great bowhunt BB

05-Dec-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's one more I found that I took when I first walked on to the bull to make the phone call. He's around 25 yards away when I took this photo. But I was not expecting to see him and it happened so fast, that I really had the setting wrong on my camera and didn't have time to change them to the proper ones.

Nonetheless he was a great bull moose!

Utah has some dandy moose, and although I'm not one against guides, I can see no reason a person would need a guide for a critter like a moose in Utah. If one has the will and the time, you can take a very fine bull. I would suggest you save the guide fee, put it towards the Governor’s tag and then go hunt any unit you desire. If you ended up doing that, I would give you all the information I know, and I know others would do the same.

Didn't mean to hike jack your thread Jake. My apologies. BB

05-Dec-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's one more of him as he's walking away. He was really a tank and I know his off spring are running around the same area.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

05-Dec-08
I had 12 points and couldn't draw. Ended buying a CWMU tag--had 1 day to hunt because unexpected work issues and used my rifle. Would do it again and focus on the bow. If you are interested in the details, I will forward you the contact info.

06-Dec-08
BB,

With photos like that, you can hijack my threads anytime.....Any idea what a governors tag for moose cost? I know it's more than I can spend this year, especially with what has happened to the market of recent. Nonetheless, you never know unless you try. I remember saying something like this last March when I was applying for a sheep tag in the Georgetown unit of Colorado.....and you know how that turned out.

Elkaddict,

I'll take all of the help that I can get.

06-Dec-08
I am not sure what that tag went for, but moose and goat are by far the cheaper of those kind of tags. The sheep, elk, and deer tags go for big bucks, but there's just not that much demand it seems for moose or goat for that type of tag, thus the lower price.

I think you could email the Utah Division of Wildlife and find out what the tag runs. I really think if you did it on your own, it would be much less expensive than you have any idea.

Utah has some nice moose and has to be one of the best moose tags around.

Have a great bowhunt BB

07-Dec-08
Jake, The great thing about Governor's tags is the money goes to help conservation projects and they are tax deductible. Go for it, I bet the true out of pocket cost would be similar to an outfitted hunt.

07-Dec-08
Put in for Idaho, they don't have points, and decent draw odds for moose.

17-Dec-08
MedicineMan- Utah's governor's moose tag sells in the $17-20,000 range. The particular unit tag where Bill's photo was taken sold in the $10-15,000 range. A lot of cash for a "chance" at a nice bull. The guy who bought the tag in 2007 chased a bull (ended up being the state archery record, which I killed) for 26 days never seeing it. Moose are fickle and can be hard to find if one has a tag in his pocket.

My recommendation would be to contact Jed Wayment at JJ outfitters. He has some quality moose ranches in Utah. Shane Ford also has some good units.

You can go to the UDWR website and download the Big Game guidebook. In the bakc, under "CWMU Moose" will have the name and phone number of CWMU operators. CWMUs receive guaranteed tags. The permits you see in the "Guide" are for Utah residents only, so you have to contact the operator to find if they have any availible openings.

This might be the best year to hunt Shiras moose in Utah on a CWMU. I think there will be some deals on hunts due to cancellations. Shop them and see what you can come up with. My customers (taxidermy) have bought CWMU moose hunts in the last 4 years and have paid $4,500-7,000. These are quality hunts with very high success rates on mature animals. I think you can probably find hunts in the $5,000 range.

18-Dec-08

BULELK1on BlkBry's Link
Jake--see my link above and go to page 38.....CWMU's with moose tags and POC numbers....

I would certainly add Steve and Garrett on the Florence/Weber CWMU as some others to call.

All real good advice you are recieveing here----I sure hope it falls in place for you.

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear