Ole Coyote 30-Jun-09
keep 30-Jun-09
J@ckrabbit 30-Jun-09
cnelk 04-Jul-09
Pete In Fairbanks 05-Jul-09
Bear Track 05-Jul-09
Big Fin 05-Jul-09
29-Jun-09
Talked to some 'old-timers' and they used a string and a coffee can for moose call.

Anyone use this method with success?

29-Jun-09
Those can calls work extremely well. That's all we used when I moose hunted NW Ontario and we called in numerous bulls, including the one I killed.

29-Jun-09
How do you make a string & can call? Need some directions. Tks.

29-Jun-09
1 large coffe can 1 skate lace Cut hole in bottom of can(center), thread lace through and knot so it won't slip through. Wet string, pinch fingers together and slide down Place a shirt in the can to make it sound like a large mature bull. I found the can makes incredible bull grunts, but not so good cow calls.

30-Jun-09

cnelk's Link
Google 'coffee can moose call' and enjoy the results. Here is a link for the sound

30-Jun-09
Hi; We have found the can makes the best call when a rawhide shoe lace is used with rawson on the lace. We carry a small bag of rawson and after a few calls dust the rawhide again.

For a deeper rutting grunt use a small tube of stick fingers used in the office on your fingers for picking up papers all day long, this stuff looks like wax in a small container not sure of the exact name.

Stay well!!

30-Jun-09
I just did a quick 1lb can. I can't believe it works. Wait till I show my buddy this fall he'll either crack up or kick me out of camp. lol

30-Jun-09
Just be sure that the can has a heavy enough bottom so that it won't give. A friend of mine made one that looked great and sounded great:UNLESS you pulled a little too hard on the string! He was set up a little ways from me on opening morning...EEEEEEOOOOOWWWW CLA CLANK, EEEEEERRRROOWWWW CA CLANK CLANK. Needles to say, we did not intice any moose that morning.

One last thing: no matter what call you use don't move too quickly. I'd give it at least 45 minutes, which can be hard when you're not seeing or hearing anything, but I've gotten up after 30 minutes of calling and walked right into bulls and cows that were headed my way.

Good luck on your hunt.

J@ckrabbit

04-Jul-09

cnelk's Link
Here is a good demonstration - see link

05-Jul-09
I find it far more efficient and realistic sounding just to pinch off my nose and use my own voice to call. Learning to "mouth call" allows you a much greater array of moose vocalizations.

The biggest disadvantage to the can/string is that you are lugging a large, noisy piece of metal around though the woods.

The can is inevitably going to "clank" against twigs and spook moose.

Pete

05-Jul-09
I've called in more than 140 bulls with my mouth and birch bark call. But 2 years ago I caught a bad cough and cold after 10 days of guiding moose hunters in 9 days of rain.

On the morning of day 3 of my hunt, I knew I had to try and make up one of those can calls or I would not last the hunt with my own voice. I used a plastic coffee can and brainded string. Sounded horrible. It sure is loud and at 10:30 that morning in the wind, I shot a 49 inch bull. We laughed our heads off and I thought I'd improve on the model and use a larger tin can. 6:30 that evening, I shot another bull at 12 steps.

For those that can't master calling with their mouth, the can makes a great backup plan and is a useful tool.

05-Jul-09

Big Fin's embedded Photo
Big Fin's embedded Photo
This Alaska moose fell to the "Folgers" call. Came in like he was following some divine marching orders.

• Sitka Gear