howler 25-Aug-10
Broken Arrow 25-Aug-10
Canuck 16-Sep-10
oldgoat 16-Sep-10
hoytman 20-Sep-10
Charlie Rehor 20-Sep-10
Bear Track 20-Sep-10
23-Aug-10
I was wondering if anyone had a DIRECT LINK to a moose vital diagram. I am going on a self guided moose hunt this september and wanted to study it.

Thanks

23-Aug-10

Gundy's embedded Photo
Gundy's embedded Photo

23-Aug-10
Your the man!

25-Aug-10
I'm hunting a cow moose in Colorado in a few weeks. I'm going to print out this pic and tape it to my bow, or wrist, or underside of my hat, or something... just as a reminder to "shoot here"!

Thanks!

Jeff

25-Aug-10
I have heard that instead of using the off leg as a point of reference use the hump, down about 1/2 and let er fly

25-Aug-10
That make sense as the hump wouldn't move much when walking compared to the legs.

25-Aug-10
the lenght of the leg on a moose will screw up the geometery

25-Aug-10
Draw a line from the top of the hump to the bottom of the chest & divide it into thirds. Where the bottom horizontal line cuts the vertical line is the aiming point. What you are really doing is cutting off the top third to eliminate the hump (which is not a target)and aiming dead center of the other two thirds. You could also just draw the hump / chest line and come up from the bottom about one third and you're in the ball park.

Remember that the diagram above shows the leg bone rather far forward. The scapula is attached to muscle and the huge shoulder muscles on a moose move back when the leg comes back - carrying the scapula and humerus bone with it -- covering much of the vitals. Don't take the shot if the leg is back.

16-Sep-10

Canuck's embedded Photo
Canuck's embedded Photo

16-Sep-10
That's pretty cool, would like to see pics like that for all game animals

20-Sep-10
would the shoulder be slightly back from this position? or is this the correct placing of the shoulder blade/legbone?

20-Sep-10
An autopsy of my moose shot on September 3rd in Newfoundland showed the attached vitals picture lay out is really good. My shot showed I hit liver and one lung. I have only killed one Moose but the Outfitters advice to shoot the bottom half and stay away from "high" was in deed sound advice. Good luck on your Moose hunt! I am absolutely HOOKED! Charlie

20-Sep-10
Charlie, I watched your video and wow! what a thrill. I've shot 4 bulls with my bow and about 30 rifle and the thrill never gets dull. It's my absolute favourite hunt of all. Oh, I'm going for mine on the 28th and back the 5th.

• Sitka Gear