Elksnout 18-Mar-12
Montana_Chris 19-Mar-12
DonVathome 19-Mar-12
Kevin Dill 19-Mar-12
gypsy 01-Feb-13
Pete In Fairbanks 02-Feb-13
mntman742 21-Feb-13
08-Mar-12
If I get lucky and take a moose on the Koyukuk this year who would be a good meat processor in Fairbanks ? How about a good taxidermist ? Lastly, what company is the best to use to ship the meat home in a hurry ? Same for the cape and horns ? Thanks for any input. I already spoke to the dude with the 18 wheeler who drives meat and stuff down to the lower 48, he does not come close to me at all.

08-Mar-12
If possible to get the meat there, you may want to try Delta Meats in Delta Junction. They basically won't take bone-out meat, so could be an issue. In Fairbanks you can try Interior Fish Processors, as they do butcher moose and caribou. Avoid Tanana Valley Meats in just outside town. Bad news from the get-go.

I have never used an actual taxidermist in Fairbanks, though several exist.

08-Mar-12
You need to learn how to cape, turn ears, lips and then salt the cape to get it home. Not sure why you would use an Alaskan taxidermist. They are typically more expensive and shipping a mounted moose will set you back a bunch.

If you don't want it in the book, split your skull and ship the antlers that way.

Mail all your gear home and that will free up about 80 pounds in 2 52 quart coolers. You can also pay for extra luggage which is way cheaper than Fedex or UPS.

08-Mar-12
Taxi in FAI or ANC ios PRICEY, Split horns and take as checked baggage MUCH cheaper then anything else. Take 2 checked bags,45 or 90 each ($50 or $100 cost each) donate rest. 200 pounds is a lot, cots you $200 as checked baggage.

I have crunched numbers a lot, checked bags are the way to go, unless you really want a lot of meat and are willing to pay for it, or yoy do not want to split your horns.

Just shipping HORNS from AK unslip will be $500 plus. OR checked bag fee..........

Read email I sent you, tons of info and numbers

09-Mar-12
If you don't want the hassle use an expditer to get the horns/cape back to your taxidermist in lower 48.

09-Mar-12
What route does the 18 wheeler guy run?

17-Mar-12
When I talked to him the closest he came to Colorado was Billings Mt then he heads east from there. I think he ends up in Michigan but not sure. Alaska Meat Express 1-608-931-1119. Hope that helps.

17-Mar-12
BOY OH Boy, you guys on here are giving some BAD advise. Going to get someone in trouble by telling them they can split the antler. By no means can you split the antlers unless it meets the brow tine requirement. If you shoot a bull that is over 50 inches but does not meet the minimum brow tine requirement. then you CANNOT split the antlers!!!! Bottom line.

DON V. this was said on the AK Forum sight.

Secondly, your taxidermist will tell you this too. IF the hide can be frozen then there is not need to turn the ears, turn the lips or anything else. If you have warm weather then you will need to do this.

You can take 3 extra bags of meat, frozen in a wax box, 50 pound max on Alaskan airlines only. No other airline will take meat. In fact most other airlines will not take the horns either...

LKH said it right. Mail all your gear home with USPS. A 18 quart Tupperware container will cost $40 to ship home and must be around 38 pounds. Just label them correctly and wrap with shipping tape. No need for any insurance as the USPS is very good about not loosing stuff.

18-Mar-12
thanks for all the advice..likely going with the 18 wheeler if I have luck and if he does decide to run the route this year . My local taxidermist and I have been going over trophy care. Thanks again guys !!!

18-Mar-12
Talked to Mike (18 wheeler guy) he said he will be posting a schedule on his website around June or so for this Sept.

18-Mar-12
For what it's worth:

We always take 3 x 50# boxes of meat home (per man) off of a moose. I was checking in last fall (Alaska Air) in Fairbanks, and had 2 large duffels and 3 big boxes of meat. The check-in clerk asked me if I had anything else to check in. I didn't, but asked if there was a limit on meat. She said I could check in up to 7 pieces of baggage regardless of content...fees to be paid of course. Personally, I have no use for more than 150 pounds of prime moose in my freezer, as it's more than I can consume in a calendar year.

Our meat has been flown on Delta Airlines in addition to Alaska Air. It's rather common to see boxes of meat and fish leaving Alaska on a variety of airlines.

I have never tried to fly a moose rack home. I would split it, box it and follow all regs. Check with the F&G people if unsure about splitting. The GMU/zone you hunt in may matter in this. Unless totally prohibited, I would measure and photo-document the spread before splitting...be sure to show the metal tag and ID numbers. It may be possible to USPS Priority ship a split/boxed rack home. Costly, but still far less than crating a full rack and trucking it.

18-Mar-12
What about shipping home a dall sheep cape and horns and a grizzly cape. If I bought dry bags and put them in another duffel bag would that work? Caping and salting may be an issue to get done. Would it be ok to travel without doing those things for 2 days? JJ

18-Mar-12

18-Mar-12
Too many unknowns jj...

There are practical considerations: Are the capes frozen? Dry? Salted? Are they raw and untreated? What time of year to ship?

There are rules and legalities: What does F&G say about transporting, if anything? What are the airline's rules on these items?

You'll get a lot of opinions, but here's what I'd suggest. Ask the F&W people if any transporting regs apply. Find out the airline regs with certainty. No way would I EVER put a warm, wet or unpreserved cape in a duffel or dry bag for a trip home. It would have to either be relatively dry and salted, or frozen. Otherwise you're risking hair loss or worse. I can't see any point in spending many thousands to hunt and acquire a fine trophy, then cut financial corners trying to get it home. Spend the money (or the time) and be safe.

18-Mar-12
that is my thought also. I just wanted to hear others views. JJ

18-Mar-12
I read on one thread that you can get a pretty good price for a moose hide to help fund your hunt. What's a good price and how & where do you sell it?

18-Mar-12
It is 100% illegal to sell any animal parts...whether meat, hide, horns, bones, teeth, anything!...in Alaska. The only exception is certain subsistence situations. That means you'd have to transport the hide or cape back to the lower 48 and then sell it. Prep and transport costing what they do, I doubt if the money generated would be worth the overall effort.

18-Mar-12
Well...doesn't sound like an endeavor worth pursuing.

19-Mar-12
I carried a set of Dall sheep horns and the cape in my carry-on with no problem.

I wasn't letting that sucker out of my sight!

19-Mar-12
Assuming I shoot a legal moose (over 50" wide) and it does not have the legal brow tines when am I permitted to split the horns (can I split them and fly home with them?)????

I would think I could stop in somewhere and show them and get the ok to split the horns or do I have to wait until I get home?

19-Mar-12
Don,

Definitely a call you should let the folks at F&W make...I believe. No mistakes.

01-Feb-13
Not sure what prezboys is talking about. It is completely legal to split the antlers. I am a outfitter/guide in Alaska and do 40-50 moose hunters a year. Every Game Management Unit in Alaska has different size minimums for residents and non-residents. The GMU we hunt in is any antlered moose for residents, and 50" OR 4 brow tines on ONE side for non-residents. Our hunters routinely split the antlers and ship them back. Various airlines will take them but even they change their mind yearly, so it's best to plan to ship. When in doubt, get a copy of the hunting regs and look it up - don't rely on this forum or any other for information that is so important.

02-Feb-13
It is NOT legal to split the skull if the bull is taken in a unit where it must be 50" (unless it has the legal number of browtines.) At least as long as you are still in AK!

While I do not agree with this reg, it is still the law!

If the question is: "Are you likely to get caught?" The answer is "not likely!" But it is not legal to split the skull.

Nor is Kevin D correct about what "parts" can/cannot be sold. It is perfectly legal to sell horns/antlers as long as they are detached from the skull (NOT your 50" bull from the last question!) It is legal to sell hides/capes as well. Selling game meat is not legal.

Check with any FWP officer. Don't believe everything you hear on here!

Pete

21-Feb-13
According to the AK hunting regs on page 16 you can't split the moose antlers in unit(s)7&15 until they have been sealed.

On page 22 it talks about antler salvage from the kill site saying they must remain naturally attached to the skull plate. This is where the assumption comes into play, Personally I assume that means till you get the meat/antlers out of the woods then you can cut them. Others are assuming till you get them out of the state... The reason I assume it is only at the kill site is because on page 24 it talks about transportation of the meat/antlers and it does NOT mention having to keep the antlers intact... Would recomend contacting the AK G&F to clarify but from the regs it seems like you can split them to transport home...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/regulations/wildliferegulations/pdfs/regulations_complete.pdf

• Sitka Gear