BULELK1 13-May-15
Mark Watkins 13-May-15
standswittaknife 13-May-15
Mr.C 14-May-15
Nick Muche 18-Jan-18
08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Every man has dreams-especially we as bowhunters. While many animals have captured my heart and imagination since I started bowhunting, one remained at the apex of my wish list-Moose.

Since I could remember-their large racks and intimidating size have been part of bowhunting lore, at least mine, and even those who may never hunt know these animals well.

Why I hadn’t hunted them yet I never could really answer, since I had been blessed with time and health to chase other species-why hadn’t I hunted moose yet?

The best answer I could ever give, perhaps, was that I needed to have that dream remain where it was, something to look forward to, a peak to one day climb and something to keep me wishing, hoping and dreaming.

Perhaps I grew tired of looking at this picture in my office through the years, or maybe it was just time, but in 2009, I decided to pull the trigger and book a hunt nearly two years later for the fall of 2011 through Mark Beuhrer and BSC with Eric Umphenour and Hunt Alaska.

After all, Alaska is where I had first read stories about these giants that can stand 7 feet at the shoulder and weigh over 1500 pounds. In the two years that I would have to wait, I could save and work towards the goal and dream that would never let me go.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
My son had other plans though, and he decided to fulfill another dream of mine in September of 2011, coming into this world the same week I was scheduled to be in Last Frontier.

My life changed forever that week as any father can attest, and the past year has been one full of laughs and lack of sleep-but it has been the best thing to happen to me.

We elected to get him a "moose" shirt instead of chasing the monarchs of the north that year but still, the dream remained.

Eric was kind enough to push my hunt back one year, which finds us in September 2012…..

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Preparation:

I had been shooting an #80 bow for awhile, from turkeys to whitetails, I like to keep the same set-up if possible.

At 26.5” draw, I am always in the running for any Hobbit films that may come out, but my set-up would be as such:

Carbon Element 80# with a 445 grain Maxima KV shaft, which included a 125 grain Vipertrick at about 278 fps.

Having the good fortune of an archery range with 3D moose I found myself shooting all summer at these large chunks of foam.

I shot near.....

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
I shot far.....

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
My last arrow on 'Mr Moose' before leaving for the north country :)

08-Sep-12
Its about time you posted something Eyad. That boy is precious too, Mike

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
I arrived in Fairbanks on August 30th and stayed the night. It was a huge difference to the heat of Iowa with highs in the 50's, drizzle and a cold wind.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
You know your in good company when the airport has tracks all over ;)

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
I spent the night in Fairbanks and the next day took a small plane via Wright Air to the camp.

It was the first time I've ever landed on a creek bed- a little interesting to say the least but an amazing experience.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
The plane

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Flying over moose country

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Approaching camp

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Thanks Mike, he is a ton of fun now as he is ALL OVER!

Here is the base camp as we got off the plane. There were 3 other hunters from Texas that went to another camp that evening as Eric and I would hunt from base camp to start the next morning, September 1st.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
My residence for the next week-a comfortable wall tent with stove and cot. I made a fire every morning and night-one of the best parts of the trip :)

08-Sep-12
Great so far! Hurry I got to catch a plane in the morning!! LOL

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Opening morning-I was all smiles and ready to go on my first moose hunt in the foothills of the Alaska Range.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
The first morning we stopped at a place called Iowa Ridge-I couldn't make that up if I tried- and began glassing with Eric.

I couldn't believe how vast the country was and how far it stretched out. We were essentially in the Alaska Range and the moose would travel from the flats to the foothills as they began their fall ritual.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
I'll get in sprint mode Tim!

Here we are glassing and it was COLD! The wind was nothing like I expected-blustery, cold and strong.

I was blown away at how well Eric could pic up moose racks WAY down in the valley. Often it would take me a bit but i would then see them with his help, bedded down in the willows.

Much like our whitetails-they move most at dawn and dusk with the midday being a down time in many instances.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
There were no shortage of Caribou and the velvet was just starting to come off.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
The first day, at around 1 PM, we noticed a great bull in the bottoms. It was a good 2-3 miles away but he looked good so we elected to give it a go.

This is where one of the biggest surprises of the trip occured. Imagine filling your house with basketballs and that is what it was like walking in the tundra.

What looked like solid ground was a lie, as holes, bogs and unstable ground greeted us with each step.

As one of Eric's sheep hunters said after trying for a grizz upon filling his sheep tag...

'This is worse than sheep hunting!'

We got within 60 yards nearly an hour later but all I could see where the tips of his antlers. We tried to close the distance, but something alarmed the bull and in a flash he was gone. It was amazing how fast they can vanish and all we had now was a downpour, soaked feet, clothes and brusied ego.

On the way back, what we thought was another bull, turned into a shed that fell perfectly vertical into the tundra behind a willow (ha ha) and I found the matched set soon after.

Now I just needed a set attached to a bull :)

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
The next morning a awoke early and fired a few practice arrows into a block I placed in Dry Creek.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
We headed back to higher elevation but were greeted with dense fog and cold temps. Staying all day and glassing various ridges, we never did see a good bull.

As evening approached Eric said, 'Oh boy, i bet you wish you had a grizzly tag?'

Looking through the scope revealed a giant boar feeding on blueberries in the valley below. I have never seen a grizzly in the wild, and I promise you, once you do, you will be in awe of them from that day forward.

The day before I had heard my first wolves howl and seen two crest the ridge, and now with this grizzly show over the next hour, my trip was already a success.

6 days to go and we hoped the next day brought better glassing conditions.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Day 3 dawned cold and clear-but with nasty and merciless wind.

We had decided to spike out the night before and if I thought the wind was howling the day before, I was in for a big surprise over the next 24 hours.

We got the tent spiked down but as we crawled in, realized our propane wasn't working and so we had a 'power bar' dinner and tried to catch some shut-eye.

I think I slept 4 hours between the flapping tarp and deflated pad that allowed me to play "count the tundra rocks on my back."

I don't recommend this game....;)

But today was a new day.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
While our focus was down below, the view behind wasn't hard on the eyes as the view of the Alaska Range was incredible to say the least.

Never have I been on a hunt in which I was speechless in so many instances as I looked at the vastness and beauty of Alaska.

I really was finally here.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
At about 10 AM on day 3, Eric said, "I think I see a cow?"

I was looking down below but he said, "No, up there."

I looked up the mountain on the far side of the valley and "maybe" saw a patch of brown...maybe.

Plus, we were hunting moose...not mountain goats!

It was out there but Eric just stayed intent in the spotting scope and then said ten minutes later as I had all but given up on the brown speck on the horizon.

"There's another cow Eyad....and a bull."

Stay tuned....

08-Sep-12
ahhh man, cant wait for the continuation!!!

awesome so far!!!

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Finally, I got a better look of him and he looked incredible through the scope. The only problem was, he was not only on the other side of the flat below us, but up on the side of the mountain.

The wind was picking up speed and you could see the willows and birch through the scope acting like a bamboo pole.

I have hunted goats before, and while I trained for this hunt, I was already surprised by the "basketball" walking tundra-now we were going to have to sprint up a mountain and hope he was still there when we arrived.

We decided to first try and get a better look by driving down the ridge and pulling out the scope again.

We began our descent after pulling camp in the Rhino, and I had just looked at the little red circle warning, with a cross through it and screaming stick people.

Well, we soon became the screaming stick people. The right wheel fell into an abnormally deep "tundra hole" and it happened that fast-we rolled.

I remember I made sure to pull my arms and legs in and before I knew it, we had stopped.

All was ok, save a few bruises, and it took EVERYTHING we had to push it back up.

We parked the rhino, pulled out the scope and unbelievably-the bull was still there in his bed near the top of the mountain.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
I am not sure why I'm smiling here :)

We had decided to cross the tundra, drop down into a creek, and then walk up the 2nd of three mini-mountains.

I was soaked and had to side-hill and use trees a few times but slowly we made it up the steepest hill-one more to go and then we had to hope he was still there...and that we could find him.

08-Sep-12
Glad your ok buddy, but we are hanging here!!!

And....

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Looking back at the sky line, is where we first saw the bull and rolled the Rhino.

From this point we are half way to where we think he is and have one flat and mountain hillside to traverse.

08-Sep-12
Awesome. Keep it coming!

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Here is the final hill and i wish the picture could do it justice. Not only was it nasty thick-but steep.

The wind was howling at least 40 mph and while as bowhunters it is often our enemy-in this case it may be our only chance.

Once we looked at the hiilside-we "thought" he was on the right side near three spruce trees we used as landmarks where we last saw him bedded.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
We began working our way up the hill, slowly, and constantly scanning, trying to see one of the two cows or the bull first.

After walking to nearly the top, we veered right and then began to try and find the 3 spruce trees that we had last seen him lying beside.

At this point, we were basically looking 10-15 yards in front of us as it was crazy thick and had really no clue what to expect as the last time we had seen him through the scope it was about 1 1/2 hours before.

We kept working to the right and suddenly saw our landmarks-and knew we must be close-if he was still there.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
We began approaching the trees and the terrain began to change to gravel. Eric commented that he felt he may be on this rocky shale and to be ready.

A few yards further and Eric stopped on a dime, and I could see why. Down in the tangle of willow and spruce, a large palmated beam protruded from the jungle as the wind wipped trees all around him.

We had found him......still in his bed.

I knocked an arrow and Erc stayed behind as I placed one foot before the other. The wind was cover enough, but the hard rock gave me insurance in the silence department.

30 yards....25.....20 and then I knew this might happen.

If you look beyond me you can see the second to last hill before the flat to get a better feel for the terrain.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
My right foot set down and moved some shale at almost the exact moment the wind died down between gusts.

Like a sonar the big palms spun and as the giant stood I rememeber saying to my self..whoa...Whoa...WHOA.

Because of the steep incline, the willows he laid behind obstructed my shot at his vitals, and all i could see was the rack, his black coat and this Alaskan Giant looking my way.

I noticed he began to move to my left and as i came to full draw, another gust of wind came and literally blew the arrow off my self and I caught it will my release hand before it fell off the string.

This is the ONLY time in my life it has happened, and while Id heard of the full containment arguments, in this case they would have won.

I was now a bit rattled and noticed my hand shaking as I tried to find my loop again and hold the arrow on the self.

I was sure to hear him crashing off through the bush. Then I heard Eric start to grunt and the bull, almost hypnotized, stopped yet again.

By this time, I was at full draw and this time, a sliver of vital was visible, and my arrow was on its way.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
We were both pumped but knowing the hard reality of bowhunting, I knew I had to see what the arrow had to say.

Walking down to where he had been at the shot, the arrow lay where he had stood. The blood looked good, albeit a bit dark but the thing that concerned me was the bit of stomach matter.

I knew I had hit him just back of the shoulder but I assumed now in his walk, he must have presented more towards me than I had thought.

I knew then what I had to do, but didnt want to......

Wait

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
4 hours later still waiting.....

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Gaining more confidence with each minute, then losing it, we elected to start looking. I thought he had gone left, Eric thought right, but it was so thick and happened so fast we werent sure?

So we looked left and no sign, we looked right and no sign...nothing.

We began to walk trials slowly, but I knew the arrow looked good and there was blood somewhere.

Then walking down a trail I looked down and saw this.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Then we lost blood again in the thicket until Eric said, “Eyad, got sign here.”

High on the trees, more blood.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
We approached the clearing ahead and Eric stopped on a dime, turned and said, “There he is Eyad!”

The bull had traveled maybe 150 yards and likely died within seconds of the shot. He had expired running, with rigor set in and legs in a running posture. The arrow had taken the entry side lung and clipped the stomach.

To say I was excited, exhausted, worn out and everything in between would be an understatement.

He was everything I had ever dreamed of in a bull, the hunt, the waiting, the shot and the area all made it something I doubt I could surpass.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
We got the meat packed up but it would take nearly two days to get it all back to camp. The last bit to go included the rack, which I wanted to take back myself to the argo.

I wanted to feel every blister (which I had), pulled hammy, sore back and everything in between. I knew there would never be another “first" moose, and wanted to remember this moment.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
On the way back from one of our pack trips, I walked down a small creek we used to walk back to the argo.

I was covered in moose blood and am not going to lie, was a bit nervous as the sun set and I had failed to take any spray or firearm on my last packs.

08-Sep-12
Great story bull and photos

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Then I rounded a bend and saw this. Better than coffee for a pick me up ;)

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo

08-Sep-12
Great bull and great story, Hawkeye. Congratulations!

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
We had moose tenderloins that night and hung meat the next day after 6 more hours of packing.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
The last morning I was able to pick a bunch of blueberries and Eric made some great BB pancakes!

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Before I left I was able to visit Fred Bear’s old cabin near Dry Creek and see one of the arrows he had left behind.

08-Sep-12

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
I want to thank Eric and Rebecca for such a great trip and hope you all get to experience Alaska one day.

It really was everything I had hoped for in a moose hunt, and while I know how lucky and fortunate I was to have things go my way, I’ll take it.

I took one more look around before leaving that last day on the Alaska range with the rack on my back, not knowing when or if I’d make it back.

I hope to return one day myself, but if I don’t, I’ll have enough memories to keep me happy for a lifetime.

Thanks for reading :)

08-Sep-12
Great Story!!! Thanks for sharing

08-Sep-12
That is an wonderful story, and you'll have memories for life. Thanks for sharing!!!

08-Sep-12
Fantastic adventure. Congrats buddy!

08-Sep-12
Outstanding!....thank you for sharing the story and all the great pics.

08-Sep-12
Excellent story. Great use of images. Congrats on a great bull.

08-Sep-12
looks like a great hunt. Congrats on your moose.

08-Sep-12
Great

Freaking

Story!

...and fantastic pic's as well. Thanks for sharing that. AK moose is absolutely at the top of my list.

08-Sep-12
Congrats on a great hunt and story! JJ

08-Sep-12
Congrats on a great Adventure, Story and Animal! Couldn't have happened to a better guy!! Have you told the little one your story yet?? LOL

08-Sep-12
What a great job sharing your fantastic experience. There's no place like Alaska.

08-Sep-12
Eyad, a fantastic effort on your part to bring us the photos, the hunt and your experience. I truly enjoy your writing and your drive. Thanks so much for bringing this hunt to us. Excellent job, well done.

08-Sep-12
Way to go Eyad!!!!! I leave on the 12th and this was just what I needed to make the last few days even tougher:)

Rick M

08-Sep-12
Completely awesome!

08-Sep-12
Nice story, congrats on the bull!!

08-Sep-12
Awesome story!! The way you told the story piece by piece made it feel like we were on the trip with you experiencing every sight and sound. Loved it !!! Thanks and congrats on a beautiful animal. Hopefully I'm lucky enough to someday experience such a trip.

08-Sep-12
Outstanding narrative! I have never met you, but based on the posts of yours that I have read throughout the yours, I can tell you are a top-notch guy! Well deserved moose!

Keven

08-Sep-12
Eyad I was with you every second. Dry Creek is a great place. Great story,hunt and moose. Congratulations !!!

08-Sep-12
Fantastic thanks for sharing. Congrats

08-Sep-12
Awesome adventure. Thanks for taking us along.

Great bull, great story.

08-Sep-12
Fantastic story and animal. It couldn't happen to a better guy.

08-Sep-12
Nicely done - story and hunt.

08-Sep-12
Way to go, Eyad! Great story, pics, and bull.

08-Sep-12
Great story and timing, I leave for my own DIY solo fly in bou/moose hunt in under 2 days!

Can I ask the spread of your bull, I am guessing 55", I can only take a 50" or bigger so the info will help me.

Congrat's!

08-Sep-12
Congrats Eyad! Great story, great bull, great memories! Mike

08-Sep-12
That was awesome...glad it worked out so great !!!

08-Sep-12
Thanks for taking the time to share your story,Well done!!

08-Sep-12
Nicely done Hawkeye. I really enjoyed your story with the accompanying photos. It's a great bull that anyone would be proud of.

08-Sep-12
Thank so much for the kind words guys-really appreciate it :)

Also, thanks to all the guys who helped me over the past three years, answered questions and calls. Thanks.

I used KUIU gear and it worked great as a wind barrier. Tremendous actually in the Chugatch gear. I ripped the legs but 100% my fault and will be fixing soon. It really only rained on day 1 but it was a great piece of equipment.

Also, Grey Wolf Woolens out of Wisconsin was incredible gear in wolfskin-beads water, quiet and TOUGH!

Merino wool is all I used as bases and was incredible also. Got soaked, switched shirts and dried fast.

Dont wear insulated or too thick of boots. I took 1000 gram danners and my uninsulated and all I really wore was the UI.

Don-he was 52" and scored 'rough' and conservative 175 1/8, and I am not sure what P&Y is (think 170?) although I will look. I really just wanted a great hunt and mature bull with character.

There was one bull that we thought was close to 50" but didnt pursue as wanted to be sure, and Eric was great about helping judge.

But, Im telling you, 52" looks huge at 20 yards, not sure what 60" would look like :0

Of interest, he did discuss how many bulls with wide spreads score poor etc. We thought he was 55ish" when went after and werent sure on brows 100% but when on him close Eric thought and was correct that he was a shooter and over 50".

But his tines were so long up front and had such charcter, it all was the perfect package, for me anyway.

One thing Eric said was many guys come up and say, " I want a 70".." and that just isn't realistic #1 and it is hard to be 100% sure (maybe 65" etc).

He said if you have to guess, dont shoot and you'll be ok. Shoot the bull that you know is going to be over 550" (if thats what you want) and embrace the eexperience. If you want bigger, nothing wrong with waiting at all :)

Hope that helps :)

08-Sep-12
Fantastic!

08-Sep-12
Well done!!

08-Sep-12
Congrats buddy!!! Awesome hunt and awesome animal!!! Very happy for you...

08-Sep-12
Thanks for sharing! Very good!

Congratulations!

CD

08-Sep-12
Well done and told!

08-Sep-12
Awesome .... felt like I was there... congrats. Ed F

08-Sep-12
Awesome .... felt like I was there... congrats. Ed F

09-Sep-12
Very nice Eyad...Congrats...

09-Sep-12
Eyad,

Congtatulations on another bowhunting treasure.

Having been to your house, my next question is..... where is blazes are you going to PUT it?

Jake

09-Sep-12
Great bull and great storey once again Eyad. Nicely done. Congrats on a fine animal. They sure are huge on the ground.

09-Sep-12
Eyad, congratulations on one more of life's great adventures.......and oh yeah.......one heck of a nice bull!!!!! Way to go! Very happy for you! Will give you a shoot when I get home.

09-Sep-12
Wow, wow, wow. Thanks for sharing! Good job!

09-Sep-12
Awesome write-up Eyad! Congrats on a fine Moose!

09-Sep-12
Congrats again buddy! Nice moose and write-up. I'm heading out next week so give me a call when you have time for a last minute moose pep-talk.

09-Sep-12
awesoome story man. I am leaving wednesday for my moose hunt and this just hleps get me even more excited!!

09-Sep-12
Loved the story...I cannot wait to go back, was one of the most exhilarating hunts of my life. GREAT bull and congrats... Thank you for taking the time to share.

09-Sep-12
Congrats on a great adventure and trophy! Thanks for sharing through a well written story with excellent pictures!

09-Sep-12
most excellent. I got to do a moose trip a few years ago, and again one day hope to get to do it all again. Congrats on the success and a fine bull.

09-Sep-12
Some very nice scenery pictures indeed !! Fall is a beautiful season .

09-Sep-12
Congratulations! So envious. I will make it there someday myself. Can't wait.

10-Sep-12
Awesome story........thanks for sharing and congrats!

10-Sep-12
Great job as always Eyad! Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

10-Sep-12
Very nice Eyad. Congrats

10-Sep-12
Just got back from a hunt and saw this. Awesome Eyad. I like reading about hunts with the format you used. Great pics and a great bull! Congrats.

10-Sep-12
Congrats and great job on the story. Thanks for sharing.

10-Sep-12
Awesome hunt and write up Eyad! Very inspiring.

Thank you, Jeff

10-Sep-12
Congratulations! Thanks for taking the time to share. Yep, I'm doing this one day not too long from now.......

10-Sep-12
Awesome job! Thanks for the story and pics.

10-Sep-12
Congrats! Glad that the rollover wasn't more serious and that your adventure was a success and the hunt was too.

Just the fuel I needed. Leaving for Bethel tomorrow. There is no size restriction in our unit and so the first bull I see will have an arrow coming his way.

10-Sep-12
Quite the adventure....congrats and thanks for sharing!!

10-Sep-12
Tremendous hunt and story. Thanks for taking us along...

10-Sep-12
Great story Hawkeye !!!! I had the chance to hunt with them in 2009 and got a nice moose as well.

10-Sep-12
Great job. I fly solo into the same unit tomorrow snow there now. yikes.

10-Sep-12
Congrats and excellent job telling the story! The photos were amazing!

10-Sep-12
WOW....thanks for sharing....great photos and story.

10-Sep-12
GREAT story and bull!!! Congrats to you! Thanks for sharing!

OFFHNTN

10-Sep-12
Fantastic story and Pics. I enjoyed them as i always do with your threads. A trophy of a Lifetime. Congrats HUNT.

10-Sep-12
Very cool thread! Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

10-Sep-12
Excellent story and congrats ! Its like I was there with you. Thanks

11-Sep-12
Way to Go!!!!!!!! Great story.

11-Sep-12
Hawkeye, I can't help but notice your Kuiu pants ripped. How did this happen? seems like they got caught on something and simply ripped. Would you recommend buying them?

11-Sep-12
Danny-you are correct and it's a classic battle...

Nail vs KUIU....nail won :(

I was walking out of my wall tent the second day and a small nail was sticking out of the door. Two days later after the KUIU killing, it attacked my hunting pants.

I walked into the main camp and picked up a hammer and calmly walked back to my tent. Ever seen Offic Space?

Eric told me later he was a little concerned when I walked in, grabbed a hammer, and walked out without saying a word.

In summary-your chances of shooting an 80" bull are much higher than finding that nail again.

KUIU is a great product in the rain gear at least-no experience otherwise. Not nearly as tough as Helly Hansen, but light, a GREAT wind shield, and keeps you dry.

Stay away from nails though :)

11-Sep-12
Love the description...stupid fax machine!

11-Sep-12
Ha ha...it's a classic for sure!

11-Sep-12
Awesome story brotha! Way to keep a great attitude during your hunt!

11-Sep-12
Eyad well done buddy! Your write up and pics are always top notch! I always identify with you and your love for your son as my 2 boys are the best thing that ever happened to me as well! All the best!

11-Sep-12
Eyad,

I had to read this one more time. I will try and find time to call before, if not after I get back. I just need 20 minutes without the kids:) You will find out soon enough.

Rick M

11-Sep-12
Congratulations, Eyad. Thanks for taking the time to share!

15-Sep-12
Just plain AWESOME! Thank you for sharing your hunt.

15-Sep-12
Hawkeye - Your living the dream! Congrats on a dandy bull and thanks for posting!

16-Sep-12
Congrats Eyad! Thanks for sharing your adventure.

17-Sep-12
A great read and photo essay.

What a dandy bull for you.

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

18-Sep-12
You always seen to get er done. Great hunt and congrats! C

18-Sep-12
You the Man Eyad-- great story n pics-- congrats

18-Sep-12
Almost feel like I was on the hunt! Great photos complimenting the story. Many congrats!!!!! Super job.

18-Sep-12
Very nice post and pics! I'm glad you were successfull in your hunt and I will be doing the same next year. Makes me even more excited for next year.

20-Sep-12
Love the pictures, congrats on a great bull!

20-Sep-12
Good job on the hunt and write-up.

Josh

20-Sep-12
Great story & pictures! Congratulations!

>>>>--------->

21-Sep-12
Good job on the hunt and write-up.

Josh

21-Sep-12
Congrats on a great bull! Thanks for sharing.

21-Sep-12
Just back from an elk hunt and reading this has me wanting back to Ak and moose hunting! Right there with ya the whole way.....

AWESOME trip and narrative! Thanks for sharing.

-Steve

21-Sep-12
Eyad, that was fantastic! Really enjoyed the narrative and the pictures. You did a terrific trip documenting that for the rest of us. I just got back from AK fishing and I swore I'd return soon for hunting.

I gotta ask... How long was your trip total? How'd your wife handle the little one solo while you were gone? That's always the biggest challenge for me. I'm good for 7 or 8 days without too much fuss usually, but I did a 11 day and a 16 day hunt last year and it did not go over too well at home!

21-Sep-12
Thanks again guys-really appreciate it.

Nate-you talk about an interesting topic and I am right there with you. I left on the 30th, and back home one week later. I stayed two days after filling my tag, but honestly missed my boy so much I took an early flight home.

My wife is an angel, but has her limits :)

So, I had her mother come stay with her for a week to help and made sure EVERYTHING was covered in case she was ill, something happened etc.

I think I was more nervous about them at home than the hunt as my boy turned one yesterday. But, more than a week would be hard, but I she knows I come home with a "fed" soul and how much good that does me.

But, my future hunts all revolve around them, so it is my priority, and not easy, so I know where your coming from.

I promise though, if I left AGAIN for another hunt so soon, I should be sure to return with a bullet proof vest ;)

21-Sep-12
That is classic Eyad! Coming home from my sheep hunt last year I wondered if all my stuff would be tossed out on the front lawn! I was cautious of flying shoes walking in the door! I may need to borrow that vest sometime. Oh, it gets even more fun with two rugrats!

21-Sep-12
Ha ha....two is perhaps closer than I think :0

21-Sep-12
Eyad- did you see alot of caribou in the area and based upon the # seen would you hunt caribou with Ha. I know the area is a draw for the license. Thanks. Greg

21-Sep-12
Hi Greg. Yes, quite a few as the numbers were solid. We saw three bulls that anybody would be proud to take.

I had applied for a tag in 2011 BEFORE I knew we were expecting. When I called it was too late to withdraw, but I was unsuccessful so no harm no foul.

Then I tried again this year as I pushed my hunt back to 2012, and no luck again :(

There is no point system and a 10% NR success rate I believe in the unit I hunted. I would love to hunt them in that terrain though, and I know this sounds weird, but being around them all week and glassing the big bulls, I kind of feel like I did.

So in some ways I feel like I filled that void of wanting to hunt BG Bou, at least for now, and I didnt need to kill one to do it.

12-May-15
For you guys going moose hunting this year. I figured a blast from the past would be good for you:) Excellent write up by Eyad.

12-May-15
A Bowsite classic for sure! Extremely well done Eyad.....bull, pics and narrative!

Thanks for brining this back Rick!

Mark

12-May-15
Thanks Mark. I was looking for Herdbulls hunt from last year as well but didn't find it.

Great reads.

13-May-15
Thanks guys! Hope you are well Rick and sheep is coming fast Mark:)

13-May-15
This was 1 of the all time classic threads---thanks for bumping it to the top Rick.

Good luck, robb

13-May-15
"Before I left I was able to visit Fred Bear’s old cabin near Dry Creek and see one of the arrows he had left behind."

How incredibly cool is that???!!!

Mark

13-May-15
loved this hunt..

14-May-15
good stuff thanks for sharing

MikeC

18-Jan-18
This was a good one! Had to read it again, how awesome....

• Sitka Gear