Bou'bound 03-Dec-13
walking buffalo 04-Dec-13
SteveB 04-Dec-13
walking buffalo 06-Dec-13
Bou'bound 06-Dec-13
sureshot 06-Dec-13
walking buffalo 06-Dec-13
28-Apr-13
Please provide any recommendations for a great top of the line Alberta Moose hunt. Bow only. Details please. Thanks

28-Apr-13
Bou'bound : Do give a look at Ryk Visscher's Hunting Adventures. He is what I would consider top of the line. Very high success on Moose bowhunts but he books up in advance. He takes clients thru Bowhunting Safari Consultants. Hope this helps.

29-Apr-13
I hunted with Rick 4 years ago and it was a great hunt all around. I think the camp went 8 for 10 all archery.

29-Apr-13
Bou'bound, Try Chad Lenz with Savage Encounters. Great operation , very good guides and very knowledgeable. His area is north west of Calgary on the Eastern slopes of the Canadian rockies.

29-Apr-13
PM Sent

29-Apr-13
MVO

29-Apr-13
MVO is in Alberta? Mike

29-Apr-13
http://www.trophybookoutfitters.com/moose-hunts.html

Dan is one of the best guides around.

29-Apr-13
I would second chad Lenz. Talk to mark w/BSC he can vouch and set it up.. I think everyone in camp the last couple years has either harvested a bull or had an opportunity w/bow. I got mine 3yrs ago with him.

29-Apr-13
IF you don't mind me asking what is the normal price of a Alberta moose hunt I'v always dreamed of taking moose with my bow but I'm retired I'v get the time but the money mite be to much. J.C.

29-Apr-13

goldy2416's embedded Photo
goldy2416's embedded Photo

goldy2416's Link
I concur with recommendations on Ryk Visscher's moose hunt. This is a quality 10 day hunt in a bow-only area around near Edmonton. It is one-on-one with your guide, and they are all top notch.

29-Apr-13
BSC is a great idea. Should have thought of that as I have used Mark in the past for Muskox. Never for anything more standard like this hunt. Good idea.

01-May-13
Check out AWGS Alberta Wilderness Guide Service they run a great operation with high success rates.

19-May-13
wild kakwa outfitters

19-May-13
Big knife outfitters, a buddy guides for them and they are 100 percent on moose kills and take some real good bulls!

19-May-13
Big knife outfitters, a buddy guides for them and they are 100 percent on moose kills and take some real good bulls!

20-May-13
100% with Bow?

20-May-13
Yes I believe they only get 5 tags per year or something but there are tons of moose there but a bit different then your typical moose hunt as its a lot of prairie farm land with small sloughs and river systems to hunt. But if your looking for a big Canadian moose with a bow you can't go wrong! My parents own a bar in the area so I have spent a fair bit of time out there and seen some true giants!

20-May-13
I think someone else mentioned big kniofe to me. farmaland hunts very unothodox and expensive at 10K.

interesting

21-May-13
Bou, I sent you a PM on them, as I'll be hunting with Big Knife this fall.

Do a search in the moose forum. Pershing Archer has a thread on them from November 2011 titled Alberta Moose with the picture of his and a couple of the others shot in camp. The guy in the middle of the group photo shoots league at the proshop I use and showed me video of his coming in at 13 yards. I think his measured at just under 57". There are a number of other guys from the same proshop that have taken their P&Y moose with them as well. The area has very limited number of tags for both res and non-res hunters alike, resulting in true trophy potential.

I realize it's a lot of money for that type of hunt as well, but decided to book it based on their track record of quality of animals taken.

21-May-13
Very good thanks. Looks very interesting. Sounds like you made a great choice. I will pull up that old thread if I can navigate this search function to locate it.

23-May-13
Well Bou as you preached to me a few years ago, you should spend money to kill a quality animal. I cat hunted with Leroy and you told me it was a bad idea cause his success was lower then other outfitters but so was his price i was young couldn't afford a lot just wanted a quality hunt at that age and thats what i got. Big knife is a good operation yes expensive i suppose but the proof is in the pudding is'nt it? good luck booking your hunt!

23-May-13
Yep you are right, but he is up to $13,100 for a 2015 hunt (includes tax and tag @1,100).

28-May-13
Bou-

Did you book your Alberta moose hunt yet??

28-May-13
nope. hunt would not be until 2015. no rush. and given it would be my 8th moose hunt I need to decide if I would rather do that hunt alone or spend the same amount and be able to bring my son somewhere else (meaning NFLD again) and have us both hunt. I am leaning towards the later.

regardless, what I am not going to do is spend 15K (outfitter, air travel, tips, lodging, etc.) or more all in on an Alberta moose hunt. that may make all the sense in the world for a guy who has never hunted them and is only going to do it once, but that's not my situation.

23-Nov-13
Mertyman how did you make out on the hunt with Big Knife?

01-Dec-13
Ya, Mertyman How did it go ? Hi Bou,

01-Dec-13
He sent me a pm. No moose taken on the hunt with big knife.

03-Dec-13
Rumours regarding Big Knife are flying in Alberta this year.

Nothing in the press yet.

Be sure to perform due diligence before booking.

03-Dec-13
all i got back from mertyman was an "unforunately i struck out" response to a PM i sent.

I know the repuation of the outfitter was good and the videos on you tube were exceptional. high cost at $13K for ALB, but it was well recommended.

what are you hearing about them?

04-Dec-13
Keeping in mind that there has been no publication of facts behind the rumours, and we all should be considered innocent until proven guilty. I debated for days on whether to make the previous post. My conscience confirmed that it would be unfair to perspective clients to not give a reminder to investigate their outfitter very carefully before booking a hunt.

Let me put it this way. It would be unfortunate for people to make a booking with any outfitter only to find out after that the employees/owner had recently been charged with multiple offences for more than one incident while guiding their clients.

I'll be less cryptic when information is made public.

04-Dec-13
Would love to hear from Mertyman on this outfit and potentials news.....

Sorry to hear he didn't take his bull.

06-Dec-13
Cody Cassidy of Big Knife Outfitters has been charged with multiple violations this fall but has not been in court yet.

I can't confirm the specific charges but the rumours are Cassidy and clients were hunting over bait (illegal for ungulates in Alberta), hunting on private land without permission, and for Cassidy verbally threatening local hunters and landowners....

It has been confirmed that Cassidy has previous convictions for Wildlife Act violations.

I thought this guy ran a clean operation, it doesn't seem so now. Maybe it needs to be standard practice for people to file a criminal background check on their potential outfitters before booking.....

06-Dec-13
makes sense. if you have guys paying $13,000 for an ALB hunt you better be delivering game, big game, to each one and it's easier to do that cheating than not i guess.

06-Dec-13
I will not hold judgement against an outfitter for the actions of 1 guide without the whole story. I had an experience with a guide that could have ended up like this. After telling the outfitter of the issues that guide is no longer employed by him. I would be curious whether or not this guide has been fired or whether the outfitter will also be charged. Jeff

06-Dec-13
Cody Cassidy is the owner/outfitter.

The whole story can be very difficult to obtain as plea agreements often include non-disclosure clauses.

Cassidy's previous convictions are not public.

As I mentioned, maybe a person should include a criminal background check when vetting an outfitter.

• Sitka Gear