Canuck 10-Sep-13
hurricane 10-Sep-13
Canuck 11-Sep-13
elkmtngear 11-Sep-13
BigAl 20-Sep-13
huntingbob 05-Oct-13
Grindstone 30-Dec-13
20-Aug-13
Anybody have a nice moose decoy they are looking to get rid of? I'm going on my first Ontario moose hunt in Sept.

Thanks in advance!

20-Aug-13
We use Montana moose decoys, they are 3D and work great, cabelas or Basspro usually has them. Good luck on your moose hunt.

21-Aug-13
I am hunting Ontario sept 15th -22nd. I'm wondering has anyone had any experiences with decoys, good or bad. Trying to decide if I should get one or not

21-Aug-13
Get a box from a fridge. Firm it up with some 1x3 strapping and draw the outline you want.

21-Aug-13
Moose decoys work wonders, I use a few different kinds, a collapsible decoy is best,

photo ontario2011071_zpsde5ee800.jpg

photo Ontariomoosehunt084-1.jpg

this decoy is a silhouette patterned after the mel Dutton antelope decoy tri-fold

21-Aug-13
Last year, while using a Montana decoy, I had a bull moose walk be me grunting at 10 yds. It's whole attention was focused on the decoy and he never saw me. Unfortunately I didn't have a bull tag.

22-Aug-13
SB It looks like you have a string attached to the decoy? Can it pivot to keep it from getting skinny if seen from the wrong angle? Were you able to make it form one sheet or did it take more? I would like to try hunting with a decoy, but am too cheap to shell out the $115

22-Aug-13
we do have a string attached and 1 sheet will do, If the Montana decoy works as well as they say it does I would go that route, it packs very small and that is a big advantage..

22-Aug-13
All I do is tie strap a 5' long piece of black landscape fabric to a 3/4 dowel or "stick". Works awesome. All they need to see is black.

22-Aug-13
Try a black umbrella,easy to carry and fast to use.

23-Aug-13
My thoughts are that all the details and HD photo realism are more for the hunter and sales than for the moose. Maybe I'll try the landscape cloth on a stick this year. I have a cow tag so I can afford to experiment this year :) Some sort of head and ear silhouette may be a good addition. I like the umbrella idea as well.

25-Aug-13
Check out Judd Cooney's book on Decoying North American Big game animals. The biggest thing about decoys is they do not move and most are not effective when the moose comes in on a frontal. The blow up one is a pain when it is windy.

25-Aug-13
save your money and dress in camo and use a paddle or a make something that looks like a moose rack. Moose can't see very well, so when hunting the rut, all you have to do is call them in and when they come out all they will see is your rack and think it's another bull and come at you and same goes with a cow. I've been hunting moose for many years and also guide for them, I never once used a decoy and always been successful with what I do. Decoys can be a pain cause you cause they are big and bulky

25-Aug-13
Carry a black light fleece jacket in your pack, hang it over a bush or clump of willows, back off 20 - 30 yards and go to calling. Comes in handy after the sun goes down in moose season also, ya can't wear your decoy when it cools off in the evening.

25-Aug-13
The only Moose I have taken with bow (49.5") in Ontario around Thunder Bay walked in to our setup on opening morning 4 years ago. My posterior (nice word for Ass!)was not in the stand yet when the Moose responded to my buddies first call of the morning. We had a plywood cutout behind a bush and the bull came on a string. We had sprayed a bunch of bull urine around the setup. He stopped 50 yards out from the decoy and stared at it.....unfortunately for him he was broadside to me at 37 yards. I will be hunting again this year but not flying north tell the 21st. It has been to warm on the opener for the past three years. Good Luck on your hunt.

03-Sep-13
Hmmm, that black landscape plastic doesn't sound like a bad idea. Our decoy is a piece of black cotton, about 6' X 8'. Been lucky so far and haven't had to use it yet. Either material, probably needs some rope or clamps to secure over the brush.

That, along with a scapula for raking and a plywood antler outline outta stir 'em up a little.

03-Sep-13
strong winds make the inflatable almost useless, but wind that just makes it move is a real plus, it is surprising how much wind the inflatable can handle, We are in the process of making a moose head decoy, In the past Tao has used a moose taxidermy form painted black and he has had good results with that so we are going to make one but not 3 D,, just silhouette, we think its going to work very well,,

05-Sep-13
We are headed to Canada and have the Montana moose II decoy. Will let all know if it worked or if it was a waste of money.Tripstarts Sept 28th ends Oct 5th.

08-Sep-13
My decoy is 12 P&Y bulls out of 14 that have come in. It takes a little bit of will power to stand face to face with a bull. Once they see the movement they do not stop even with 3 or 4 arrows in it.

08-Sep-13

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo

elkmtngear's Link
SLIP System black umbrella, kept the rains off us on our Southeast Alaska hunt, helped probe the muskeg as a walking stick, and provided an instant decoy if needed.

I used it both with and without the giant elk butt cover on it,

Great treestand shelter as well.

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

10-Sep-13
TTT for my friend Alex to read.

10-Sep-13
Alex G. by chance? Hope so, what a wealth of knowledge.

11-Sep-13
Yes it was meant for him Jay. I wanted him to see the slip system. He and I both agree that it would be dynamite with either a cow moose rump, or even the head of a cow, as a cow is very distinctive around the muzzle. Sure hope Jeff (the slip system guy) can pull it off! One of his problems is finding a high res photo. I was hoping Alex had one, but as he is mostly a video shooter (i.e. his Moose Madness), no luck.

11-Sep-13

elkmtngear's Link
Harold,

I attempted to modify the hue of the elk butt decoy to a dark chocolate color last night. Didn't look too bad, but I'm still not happy with it.

If anyone has a high res closeup of a moose butt, I'd be greatly interested.

As with elk, I like the butt idea, because an incoming bull cannot determine the sex from that view, and you could rake behind with a fake antler or something if you wanted to challenge.

Best Wishes, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

20-Sep-13
I have a Heads Up decoy (Bowsite sponsor) of a cow elk, they don't make a moose. However, I'll be seeing if I can slightly modify it by attaching a cow moose cutout to it. Might just work. IMO, a movable visual will be not only mobile but less cumbersome...I have no problem carrying it about while elk hunting. Hey Heads Up...how about a moose!!

05-Oct-13
I used the Montana Moose 2 decoy this year for one day only. The reason I only used it for one morning hunt was the stakes are too short for the tussocks and terrain that I was up against in the area I hunted in Alaska. I set it up in a clearing along the brush line and even though it was relatively calm even a small breeze would blow it over. Just calling worked best and using a canoe paddle against the alder brush. I am only a one timer so no expert so keep that in mind if you are heading to Alaska. The guys posting on here that do it every year are a better judge than I am. I am going again but will not use it in Alaska. When I finally get a Shiras tag in Colorado I might bring it. Bob.

30-Dec-13

Grindstone's embedded Photo
Grindstone's embedded Photo
Montana Decoy easiest, and in my opinion,the best by far. Several sucessful hunts over the years.Some say my "Barbie Winkle" is a perfect representative of a Hot Cow combined with good calling and scent control. 54" Sept 2013 Maine zone 1

• Sitka Gear