Clutch 09-Oct-13
Medicinemann 10-Oct-13
BB 10-Oct-13
Ace 11-Oct-13
cassman 19-Oct-13
Florida Mike 19-Oct-13
TD 19-Oct-13
22-Sep-13
Sitting in the Calgary airport wishing that I had a little more time, so I could call TThomas and share a cup of coffee with him before leaving. Going for moose and bison with Sikanni River and they just started boarding the flight.....

My bags didn't make it yet, so I am glad that I decided to fly a day or two early.....next stop, Fort. St John....

Talk to you Bowsiters in a week or two......

22-Sep-13
Good luck Jake...sounds like a great adventure...

22-Sep-13
I know you'll have a great trip. Best of luck, Jake.

22-Sep-13
Have a good hunt Jake! Try not to think about the SSDGS too much, I know it has been consuming nearly all of your thoughts lately, even though you are going to hunt Bison and all! LOL

Shoot Straight!

22-Sep-13
I hunted that area with Pink Mountain a few years ago. You'll have a blast.Good luck!

22-Sep-13
Have a great hunt! JJ

22-Sep-13
We look forward to the story upon your return. Mike

22-Sep-13
Good luck Jake on your combo hunt-- hope your hunts are done by the time I get there Sept 29 pm--keep us posted

22-Sep-13
Bert,

If I stay at the lodge, I will be able to give you updates....if I head out to Big Mountain, I obviously won't have internet service......

22-Sep-13
Jake, Best of luck! Hopefully you stay at the lodge so we can get our fix!

Mark

22-Sep-13
Good luck Jake. Do you need any help with your bags. Just got in from a tough sheep hike. Let me know, you have my cell and email,

22-Sep-13
Good luck and have a great hunt!!

22-Sep-13
good luck, Jake. Was in that region a few years ago--didn't choose Sikanni--didn't choose the right outfitter.

Scott

23-Sep-13
Good luck Jake.... Ed F

23-Sep-13
Best of luck!

23-Sep-13
Waiting patiently Jake--Go Get'em-

23-Sep-13
Good luck!!

23-Sep-13
Best of luck and hope you have a safe trip

23-Sep-13
Good luck jake

23-Sep-13
Have a great hunt jake!

23-Sep-13
Good luck!! Look forward to hearing the updates.

24-Sep-13
My bowcase and cooler/duffle have finally been located, and are being "hotshotted" to the Sikanni River camp as I type this. Should either get to camp, or be dropped off at "Buckinghorse", within the next hour....and we'll pick them up early tomorrow, as buckinghorse is just an hour away.

Several gun hunters have killed elk, and I believe that one or two moose have been taken, but those hunters haven't come back into camp yet. Bison season doesn't start until October 1st, but I stalked within bowrange of twenty bison today, and then saw another group of 24 that had one bull in it, but he had "goalpost" horns.....in other words, they didn't turn in at the top, they just stayed vertical...usually a sign of an adolescent bull.

If the weather permits, I should be flown into Big Mountain camp sometime tomorrow.....and we'll see if we can have any luck chasing moose. On October 1st, we'll be able to hunt for bison OR moose, if I haven't had an opportunity at a moose by then.

The weather JUST turned cold over the last day and a half. I can see the snow dropping lower on the mountains just since I dropped here.....so far, it appears that the weather is really cooperating....as long as I can fly out tomorrow AM. Temperatures are ranging from 30-50 degrees so far.....

Clutch, BPM, and Eyad.....this concludes tonights Sikanni River update.

24-Sep-13
Fantastic! Get em Jake!!

25-Sep-13
Good Luck Larry!! You forgot to pick up the sat phone and the shoe. We are pulling for Ya.

25-Sep-13
Good luck Jake!

>>>>--------->

25-Sep-13
Tks Jake--hope to see you with a monster moose rack in Bison camp soon--

25-Sep-13
Jake, Best of luck to you. You certainly don't need my well wishes, your skill and tenacity and attitude assure your success, dead animals or not. But I'll throw a little positive karma your way, can't hurt.

You do realize how many people are following this, looking for updates, and wishing you the best right?

Speaking for myself, but I imagine a lot of other Bowsiters feel the same way, there are a few guys whose exploits I follow pretty closely on here. You are certainly one of them.

Stay safe, and please take a lot of pictures.

25-Sep-13
Jake-- last I heard from BPM was that he was on some huge rams n trying to close the gap -- g-luc

25-Sep-13
Thanks Jake and good luck buddy!

25-Sep-13
Jake, Good Luck I look forward to the follow up of your hunt!

25-Sep-13
keep the information coming Jake. Good luck

25-Sep-13
Great news that you finally received your bags! I waited with baited breath until I read this report. Good luck and bring back some "meatloaf and steaks" for the family so we can make it through another winter!

25-Sep-13
LOL!

Now that was cool....

good luck Jake, shoot straight. I'd bet a buffalo robe would help keep the chill off as well.... =D

Good grief, he tags out that's about a ton of meatloaf and steak.... you guys are gonna have to get another freezer or two... or maybe just have one huge party....

25-Sep-13
Eyad, Clutch, and BPM.....Sikanni River doesn't have satellite phones in each remote camp.....it might be a good idea to have one just in case something out of the ordinary occurred.

I will be the first hunter at Big Mountain this Fall. All of the gun hunters have been seeing (and killing) some really nice elk and bull moose. I like my chances....and there won't be as many bison at Big Mountain, but the ones that I do see will be the older, more mature bulls.

I got my bowcase and cooler last night and when I opened my bowcase and saw my sight in two pieces, it just reinforced my decision to always pack two bows!! I just shot the back up bow and we are lethal out to 60 yards with no issues.....

It is NOT a good week to be a bull moose OR a bull bison!! Animal numbers look good, and the weather sure seems to be cooperating so far!....

25-Sep-13
Eyad, Clutch, and BPM.....Sikanni River doesn't have satellite phones in each remote camp.....it might be a good idea to have one just in case something out of the ordinary occurred.

I will be the first hunter at Big Mountain this Fall. All of the gun hunters have been seeing (and killing) some really nice elk and bull moose. I like my chances....and there won't be as many bison at Big Mountain, but the ones that I do see will be the older, more mature bulls.

I got my bowcase and cooler last night and when I opened my bowcase and saw my sight in two pieces, it just reinforced my decision to always pack two bows!! I just shot the back up bow and we are lethal out to 60 yards with no issues.....

It is NOT a good week to be a bull moose OR a bull bison!! Animal numbers look good, and the weather sure seems to be cooperating so far!....

25-Sep-13
Wow Jake I hope that case of target panic you got on hitting the submit button doesn't transfer to your trigger finger

25-Sep-13
Good luck Jake! Have a safe and successful hunt!

25-Sep-13
Good luck Jake on your pursuits.

Don't go TBM on us with those multiple post. Could this be a clue that you are really TBM?

25-Sep-13
When Jake drinks Gatorade it makes for some fun in camp. I have pictures.

26-Sep-13
Better than lipstick!

26-Sep-13
Got a text from BPM last nite and he told me he passed on 12 rams so far and has his heart set on 2 monsters ! I'm sure he will kill soon and will be headed up to hunt bison

26-Sep-13
Jake-thanks for the update and good thing for back-up bows :) I wish you a safe and succesful hunt.

I dont think you will need it though!

26-Sep-13
Every time I pass by this thread I think it's a great name for a country western song....

"what kind of music do you have in this place?"

" Oh, we got both kinds.... country AND western..."

Hope you guys can keep us up to date if you hear anything from him. That would be great.

26-Sep-13
Dream hunt!

Have a good time, good luck, and be safe.

27-Sep-13
...and the adventure begins!

Good luck guys!

Mark

27-Sep-13
Talked to BPM last night n he said today will be the day-- fingers crossed

27-Sep-13
Jake-- anything I need to know before I snap up my gear case n zip my clothes bag ??-- bring some moose meat n I will make some rice n gravy x week--(:^)

27-Sep-13
Good luck, Jake, Clutch adn BPM. There is going to be alot of meat hitting the ground with you three hunting in the same area

05-Oct-13
I will post an update as soon as soon as Clutch shares the story of the MONSTER bison that he killed on the first day of his hunt. I just saw the horns....what a beast!!

05-Oct-13
Atta-boy, Team Bowsite is knockin em down. Look forward to the updates!

05-Oct-13
Way to go guys...Can't wait to hear the stories...

05-Oct-13
Working my way back home-- sitting in Vancouver airport now--will post story and pics Sunday night--getting home Sunday afternoon--finally got my flight itinerary straighten out for early return flight--it cost me 1/3 more for a early return flight one way then my original round trip ticket-- unbelievable--go get'em Jake-- there are more big ones out there--

05-Oct-13
Wohoooo! Congrats! Look forward to the story!

Mark

06-Oct-13
Clutch

Way to go cant wait to hear the stories and photos. Bison is a dream animal so I am really looking forwared to this one.

06-Oct-13

Clutch's embedded Photo
Clutch's embedded Photo
I have always been interested in bow hunting a free range bison. During our trip to the 2011 Grand Slam in Reno, BPM and I stopped and visited Mike and Dixie Hammett with Sikanna River Outfitters. None other than "The Great Jake" was also at the S.R.O.booth. After gathering info about the bison hunt, we signed up for 2013 Oct.1 hunt. That day has arrived, but one slight problem. Jake and Tim's schedules got complicated and they couldn't make the Oct.1 hunt. So old dependable Clutch has arrived to hunt the B.C. bison. The first morning was windy,rainy,snowy and foggy. We drove to a look-out point only to find a white-out of fog in the meadow. After an hour or so, the fog began to lift. We heard a rifle shot higher up in the mountains and about 15 minutes later a herd of bison entered the meadow at a quick pace. My guide Rachel, yes that's right Rachel a women quide,and I put on our rain gear and started our decent to the meadow. While working the wind and maneuvering among the small schrubs, we manage to get within 60 yards of a couple of young bulls. The herd was staying more in the interior of the meadow. Not enough shrubs there to stalk. We noticed several bisons were visiting a particular area in the meadow. Rachel said it was an old wallowing hole. The larger bulls were staying more in the middle of the meadow. The rut was on and where the cows went a bull usually followed. We decided to make a ground blind about 50 yards from that old wallowing hole. We could see where the main herd was in the center of the meadow but not well to our right due to schrubs and trees. Suddenly Rachel notices to our blind side a cow coming towards us. Behind her was a loud grunt after grunt after grunt. There he was "Mr.Big". No doubt he was what we were looking for and more. He came within 40 yards and stopped. Unfortunately, he was quartering towards me. I hadn't drawn my bow back yet. The cow decided to turn around and go on the other side. As she passed in front of the bull he turned and gave me a broad side shot at 43 yards. I was using an 4 fletch Easton Axis 300 10.7 gpi with a 180gr Maasai broadhead powered by 72#s of pull. Total arrow weight was 640grs. I released and the arrow struck the bull about 10"s up the front leg. I had about 4"s of fletching sticking out. I felt it was a good shot and Rachel confirmed that. He turned and slowly ran about 30 yards and walked about 60 more. As the herd ran out the field my bull stayed holding his ground at about 90 yards. We gave him some time because we knew that if that arrow hadn't done its job, he would be with the herd running out the field. About 10 minutes later after the herd cleared out and it was just him and us, he then layed down. Rachel decided to get down and try to get within range to put an insurance arrow in him. Before we could begin our stalk he rolled over. We gave him some more time and it was over. No second shot was necessary. My broadhead punctured the hide on the exit side. This bull was huge at 43 yards before I arrowed him, and when we approached him, he seemed twice as big. Thanks for a great hunt Rachel. Enjoy the pictures.

06-Oct-13

Clutch's embedded Photo
Clutch's embedded Photo

06-Oct-13

Clutch's embedded Photo
Clutch's embedded Photo

06-Oct-13

Clutch's embedded Photo
Clutch's embedded Photo

06-Oct-13

Clutch's embedded Photo
Clutch's embedded Photo

06-Oct-13

Clutch's embedded Photo
Clutch's embedded Photo

06-Oct-13

Clutch's embedded Photo
Clutch's embedded Photo

06-Oct-13
Great pictures and a great hunt! Congrats! JJ

06-Oct-13

Clutch's embedded Photo
Clutch's embedded Photo
10"s straight up the leg is a red area where arrow entered the beast

06-Oct-13

Clutch's embedded Photo
Clutch's embedded Photo
Old red crossing the Sikanni river going retrieve a bison that John from Houston killed

06-Oct-13

Clutch's embedded Photo
Clutch's embedded Photo
Thanks again Mike and Dixie for a wonderful experience you allowed me to have at your British Columbia Sikanni river ranch. Your accommodations, animals, hospitality, and cooking was outstanding. Hope to see you soon. Bert/Clutch

06-Oct-13
What a beast!

06-Oct-13
Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

06-Oct-13
Clutch,

Wow, what a cool story. Now you will have to respond to the thread about "tagging out early- what do you do if that happens?"

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us fellow Bowsiters.

06-Oct-13
Nice job on a mega monster. Well down Bert

06-Oct-13
Nice job on a mega monster. Well down Bert

06-Oct-13
Congrats Clutch....looks like you are kneeling next to a pickup!

Mark

06-Oct-13
That bison is a tank lol. Congrats and thanks for sharing

06-Oct-13
Great Bull !

06-Oct-13
Now thats a bull. Wow great shot. HUNT

06-Oct-13
Great bull and some nice photos as well. Congrats.

DJ

07-Oct-13
Great bull Clutch!!! Congrats!!! By the way, you lucked out in getting such a lovely guide:)

07-Oct-13
Very nice! Awesome!

07-Oct-13
Congrats on a great bull!!!!!!!

07-Oct-13
Congrats Clutch! Another dream hunt!

07-Oct-13
Jake who?????

07-Oct-13
Wow, awesome bull

07-Oct-13
Clutch neglects to mention that I was at Sikanni River when he arrived....I had simply moved my hunting dates up so I could hunt moose as well as bison.....and missed him at base camp camp only because the weather was too bad for me to fly out of a remote camp and return to the lodge.....personally, I would have waited for my hunting buddy to return from a remote camp.....LOL!!

Regardless, now that Clutch has posted his photos, it is only fair that I "man up" and do the same......pictures to follow....

07-Oct-13

Medicinemann's embedded Photo
Called this bull in from 600 yards across an marshy field. Shot him at 31 yards.....green scored him at 170" with a 55 1/2" spread.

07-Oct-13

Stalked this bull to 46 yards. Green scored about 108" - 110".

07-Oct-13
Awesome bulls jake.

07-Oct-13
Whata hunt Jake! Congrats to you! JJ

07-Oct-13
Congrats on two terrific animals Jake--You know I would have waited for you Jake but weather conditions kept the plane from flying out to pick you up-- I didn't know how many more days that would have continued -- so I made a corporate decision to haul a$$-- take care friend and hopefully see you soon ---

07-Oct-13
sweet

07-Oct-13
Congrats Jake on 2 great animals.!!!

07-Oct-13
Nice animals guys. That is literally a TON of meat!!

Is the Bison hunt purely spot and stalk or do they use blinds as well??

Rick M

07-Oct-13
Jake, great job especially with bow #2! Did you have to sink more than one arrow into that bison? Congrats!

DJ

07-Oct-13
Congrats guys! Great looking trophies!

07-Oct-13
Nicely done Jake! Very impressive! What is P&Y minimum on bison? A few more details of the hunt are needed!

Mark

07-Oct-13
Straight Shooter,

Look CLOSELY at the bison photo and you'll get your question answered....!!

Clutch, I thought that you were busting my chops, so I just busted back....LOL!!

07-Oct-13
nice tandem jake

07-Oct-13
Awesome way to go Guys!!!!

07-Oct-13
two in the quiver and two in the buff? clutch has two in quiver. csi stuff going on here. clutch must carry three in the quiver and jake four?

very envious as I need both the moose and the bison

07-Oct-13
What giant animals guys, great hunt!!

Congrats!

07-Oct-13
YOU DA MAN JAKE !!

07-Oct-13
What great trophies Jake. Waiting to read your stories. Congrats.

07-Oct-13
Great double, Jake. Congratulations.

07-Oct-13
WOW! Great job guys!

07-Oct-13
Well done my friend, well done.

08-Oct-13
Nancy better be out buying freezers. CONGRATS!

08-Oct-13
Awesome animals guys! Congrats!!

08-Oct-13
Congrats Jake and Clutch!

Sounds like a fun trip

Bake

08-Oct-13
Clutch, Congratulations on a great animal. Does the bull have a horn on his left side? Your pictures are awesome and Rachael and her smile sure adds to the photos. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Jake, Two awesome animals! Congratulations. Thanks for sharing. I hope you guys give an outfitters report.

08-Oct-13
Yes Deacon Dave his left side is just as big as his right--his head is to large to get both horns in one pic-- haha

08-Oct-13
Congrats, great hunt!

08-Oct-13
CONGRATS JAKE!!! (seems I've written those two words a lot in the past...)

Scott

08-Oct-13
JakO

Congratulations. Sorry I missed you on Sunday. I was deep in the Rockies with son Cameron looking for sheep. On a few but saw two huge black bears. Cam had his recurve but we just couldn't seal it. Actually I got your text when we topped out on a high pass but could get text but couldn't reply. Just before that we weren't exactly lost.....just were not 100% sure of where we were.

Two great animals.

I should know but what broadhead are you using? I thought Slick Tricks but maybe you changed. Also noticed you went away from the flo pink vanes, what happened :)

Next time friend.

08-Oct-13
great animals guy's Congratulations!

09-Oct-13
Eyad (Hawkeye) heads up to Sikanni River today for bison as well!

Looks like you are in for a great hunt Eyad!

Good luck to you and BPM!

Keep us posted as our fingernails are going to take a pounding!

Mark

09-Oct-13
Eyad, don't shoot the first bull you see, wait for the second one--haha--you will get a good one no doubt -- keep us posted--G-Luc

10-Oct-13
Ditto.....good luck!!!!

10-Oct-13
Good job guys. They are some nice critters you took. Glad you had a great bowhunt. BB

11-Oct-13
Clutch, amazing Bull, that thing is massive!

Jake, great job on a beautiful Moose and a great Bison.

Wow.

That's a LOT of meat guys! Enjoy.

19-Oct-13
Great hunt Jake but the bison is not as big as the one that you killed years ago when you hunted with me.

19-Oct-13
Congrats men! Mike

19-Oct-13
Nice groups Jake. Looks like great placement... did it just stand there and give you another shot? I know they are tough sons but can't imagine he went too far with that placement? Inquiring minds and all... =D

Dandy moose. Must have been a heart thumper having him come in to calling like that.

I'd say the freezer was topped off.... Maybe even that walk in one you used to "train" in....

Congrats Clutch.... you made it look too easy! LOL!

• Sitka Gear