Elksnout 09-Oct-13
McCree 09-Oct-13
Stekewood 09-Oct-13
Tbuck 10-Oct-13
Rick M 10-Oct-13
buskill 10-Oct-13
huntingbob 10-Oct-13
09-Oct-13
I'm thinking the 2018 timeframe might be a good time for me to embark on one of my dream hunts...Ak moose! I don't want to say this will be a once in a lifetime hunt but there are no guarantees so I want to make it count. Please share any recommendations as far as outfitters, guides, locations, etc. A DIY trip isn't out of the question but I want to make sure I weigh out my options and make the best of it. Thanks in advance for any help!

09-Oct-13
I had an amazing hunt with Dickson in the Yukon in '08.

Start packing away your pennies.....

09-Oct-13
Call Mark Bueherer from BSC. He know very good outfitters in BC, Alaska and Yukon I hunted with an outfitter that he recommends and got a nice moose in Alaska in 2009. It was Eric Umpehouer

09-Oct-13
PapaBear Adventures out of Bethel. Just got back a week ago, great operation...moose up the wazoo!

09-Oct-13
Other opinions? I need more places to research...

09-Oct-13
Definitely take a look at Joe Schuster (Sportsman's Air). A buddy of mine and I had a great DIY trip with him a few years ago and we both killed bulls. We were back up there this year caribou hunting and had a chance to see all of the great bulls that his clients took this year. Very impressive with several over the 70" mark.

10-Oct-13
Is it mandatory to get an outfitter when moose hunting in Alaska?

10-Oct-13
Tbuck, no it is not required in Ak. If you want to get into the "better" areas a transporter is almost a necessity.

10-Oct-13
Try and draw a Koyukuk NWR tag.

10-Oct-13
Like "Elksnout" said.. Papa Bear Adventures! I went this year with one other and we both tagged out within 5 days. I was not in Elksnout's group but we flew in on the same flights from Seattle. It is a DIY hunt and you pay for the gear you will use and the fly in when paying for the trip. Another Bowsiter was in the last August-September issue of Eastman's hunting journal. You will see moose but you have to be selective. I was not. I'm going again in a few years. Heard rumor of a 68" moose being shot at the same time but we flew home before they got flown back to the lodge. If you do this trip I can give you a ton of info. Something lacking when I did it. Bob.

• Sitka Gear