FullCryHounds 13-Oct-13
Bill in MI 14-Oct-13
Dan Hart 14-Oct-13
ridgerunnerron 15-Oct-13
Dan Hart 15-Oct-13
12-Oct-13

Dan Hart's embedded Photo
I shot a nice Shiras bull and don't plan to mount him. I would like to sell the cape. Right now it is in a plastic bag in the freezer. What would be a fair price for it and any idea where to advertise it. The couple taxidermists I normally deal with don't need one right now. Thanks,

12-Oct-13
Nice bull!

12-Oct-13
Dan, What a nice bull!!!Hope you make the banquet this year and bring him along. Did you try all the guys in Cody (Nature's Design, Dewey,Marsico, etc)they usually buy them. Congrats again!!!

12-Oct-13
I don't know if I'll make the banquet or not. For the last few years it has been on the same week that I have a company meeting in Bismarck and don't get home until evening on Friday. After being gone all week and that drive, I'm not really into a long drive the next day.

13-Oct-13
You should be able to sell it on taxidermy.net for $200-$300.

13-Oct-13
It would be a terrible waste to lose that cape, Dan, I am interested and would need it shipped frozen to Pa. It would be for one of my moose killed long ago. Thanks, Rob H.

13-Oct-13
I never mount anything anymore, but I understand people do need capes, so when I kill an animal, if someone wants the cape, I just give it to them, as I have no need for it.

Here's a few things I have learned however in doing that. I think the best way to ship a cape to someone, is to take it in to a good taxidermist and have him flesh and salt the cape. That only takes a few days for most to do that. Then its light, and can be shipped very easily, without worrying about freezing it, or having it spoil if delayed for some reason.

I have done that several times and I think that works best.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

13-Oct-13
Dan- Hold on to it. I have a good friend in MT that will buy it from you.

13-Oct-13
Thanks for the input. I PMed the guys who are interested. Looks like I should have taken some measurements when I look at taxidermy.net.

13-Oct-13
Yes, take measurements on all your capes before you cape them out. Then do as BB mentioned above.

14-Oct-13
That's looks like a monster Shiras. How about a few more pics

14-Oct-13

He actually looks a little better than he will measure I think. I haven't really seriously put a tape on him but I think he will be 140-145. His front palms are actually wider than his tops. I really don't care what he measures because I was just wanting to shoot a decent moose and get to hunt them again. I couldn't have asked for a better hunt. We made two trips and saw lots of moose both times. This one was the best bull we saw and I really liked the configuration of his rack.

15-Oct-13
I was hoping to see a diff angle pic of him....thanks for sharing. Congrats on a great Shiras that certainly looks a lot better than he will score since he has points that will not count as points...but sure look great!!

Exceptional look on a Shiras with the way the fronts grow right into his palms...plus all those small palm points!! Congrats again. (I replied to your email)

15-Oct-13

A different view.

• Sitka Gear