heatmizer 16-Oct-13
Hollywood 16-Oct-13
tatonka 16-Oct-13
Fuzzy 17-Oct-13
elmer@laptop 17-Oct-13
HULLHEAVER 17-Oct-13
Yendor 19-Oct-13
14-Oct-13
OK Just back from my first Moose hunt in Northen BC and now have an unexpected challenge. Moose Meat is absolutely nothing like Elk. My 6 point bull from 2011 hung 28 days and was the best tasting tenderest meat we have ever eaten. But this Moose has hung for about 8 days, and I was going to cut it up myself. However I cut off a hunk of backstrap and BBQ'd last night, and it was the toughest piece of leather that I have ever eaten. I understand that Elk and Moose are much different, but it was hard to chew what should be the tenderest meat available. Does haning it longer help, do you have to use a slow cooker a lot more with Moose. Will the hamburger also be chewy. Much different texture, and taste than Elk. He was a clean shot, no (absolutelly No bad meat from the shot). Just older and chewy. Ideas, or recipies. Thanks Rod

14-Oct-13

Kevin Dill's embedded Photo
Kevin Dill's embedded Photo
Moose meat is certainly tougher in general than other deer. You can only age for so long, and it's generally not going to ever be tender on most cuts. The inner tenderloin (filets) and backstrap have generally been tender on my moose, but the backstrap must be trimmed of all silver-skin and tendon. I've not noticed my burger being chewier, but pure moose-burger is definitely a much leaner (and drier tasting) meat than beef. Moose roasts done the slow way in a roaster pan will be fork-tender when finished. I've eaten a lot of moose meat which was slow-cooked in a crockpot, and it was always superbly tender and tasty. Grilled moose steaks? You can do them, but get ready to chew. The flavor is great.

14-Oct-13
Yup, kinda like a delicous piece of moose flavored rubber. I'd grind or crockpot it

14-Oct-13
We substitute moose burger for beef in meatloaf, chili , tacos . My family loves it. I haven't found my moose steaks to really be all that tough. I think it's vastly superior to deer. Never had much elk.

14-Oct-13
It has nothing to do with Moose vs. Elk and more to do with the age of the animal you shot.

Your elk may have been 3-5 years old where your moose was likely 7-10 years. Then if you shot it at the end of the rut you are talking about an animal at it's worst phsycially.

I shot a cow moose whose steaks were amazing. Talking steaks that were 14" wide and as tender as veal.

Stews, roasts and burgers looks like your best options.

14-Oct-13
I will start with the fact that I shot a young bull this season and my first one. Only way I have cooked it so far was a roast in the crock pot and shredded into pulled barbeque sandwiches ..those were awesome! and did some burger as patties in the crock pot like salisbury steaks as I had not finished the roast meat but didn't want to waste it as I had taken too much out of the freezer. Both tasted very well and so close to beef I doubt anyone would know the difference. After I try a steak I will chime back in. So far I just love it. Bob.

14-Oct-13
Before I forget that first roast was essentially two chuck steaks in one wrapper not one chuck roast. I took the other half and made stroganoff with it. Damn good too and not tough meat. Bob.

14-Oct-13
I have taken 4 Newfie bulls and never had a tough one. I say moose for dinner and if I don't get out of the way I am pushed under the bus. All of mine were taken pre-rut in early Oct.

14-Oct-13
Wow something is up cause I just had a roast from my Newfie moose yesterday and it was the best wild game I have ever eaten, including elk.

15-Oct-13
I had moose steak the other day, first I cut the meat into smaller chunks, then I marinade for at least 4 days usually longer, then BBQ, turns out better, marinade softens the meat better when cut into small pieces. Elk is still softer, moose tastes better though.

15-Oct-13
Shoot a cow or a young bull and you won't feel that way. Moose is good!

15-Oct-13
When frying or grilling any wild game, if it's overcooked, the gamier it will taste and the tougher it becomes.

I have to agree with BerksArcher. I put a roast in a pan and fill it with approx 1/2" of water. Flavor it with pepper, garlic and onion powder, and whatever else you desire. My preference is the "Open Season" spice blends from Cabela's. Cover and cook @ 250 for about 4 1/2 hrs. Awesome taste, and you can cut it with a fork.

15-Oct-13
any very lean, tough meat can be made tender and palatable by braising, crock-potting (adding a small amount of fat, like olive oil, butter, or bacon helps) with an acidic liquid like 7-Up soda, beer, wine, or tomato juice. Canning is my go-to method, and of course grinding for burger or sausage helps too. I use this on black bear, older goundhogs, bigger wild hogs, and older squirrels and larger, older whitetail deer

15-Oct-13
I have shot both elk and moose. Moose (IMHO) is hands down better than elk - if you are comparing similar age animals.

Remember most beef sold is 3 years old or younger.

The life style of each animal heavily favors a moose as well. Moose are sedintary animals. That fact makes a moose much more likely to have better meat.

There is a reason the finest beef in the world comes from animals with low stress and movement.

Again, if you are comparing a bull that is almost double digits in age (or older) vs. a 3-4 yo bull elk then obviously the elk is going to taste better.

That's why you need to be honest with yourself when butchering. I'm heading to Newfie with an outfitter who offers high opportunity on old, giant bulls. If I get lucky enough to get one it's roasts, stew and burger.

15-Oct-13
I had eaten moose just a couple of time before I shot my Bull this year in VT. I always enjoyed it. I was really looking forward to the meat and have not been disappointed.

I will agree that some cuts are not as tender as an equivalent cut of beef, but if I want beef I know where to get it.

So far we have had: Moose burgers (several times), Moose breakfast sausage, Smoked Moose ribs -full length- (you need a BIG smoker), pulled Moose, Moose tenderloin, Phiily Cheese Moose Sandwiches, Moose stew last night, and tonight it's Moose chili. All of it has been somewhere between excellent and OMG! I'll get to the roasts and steaks pretty soon. Plan on making some sausages and hotdogs as well.

We are wondering how many days in a row we can eat moose and not need a break.

I met a butcher who made an absolutely amazing venison pastrami and I'm thinking of bringing him the brisket, or maybe trying to make some myself.

I'm planning on making Mooso Buco with the shanks, And my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

15-Oct-13
Ace when is dinner cause Musso Buco sounds AWESOME!!! It's one of my fav meals from any game I shoot.

Matter a fact when I see guys saw off and discard the bottom legs I cringe because to me that is some of the best eating!!!

15-Oct-13
We cooked some of the moose backstrap on our float trip, just grilled over a good bed of coals, it fell apart it was so tender, awesome...of course the Jamison's we had with with it made the meal!

15-Oct-13
Moose cooked Rare to Medium will be more tender than if you have to have it well done to burnt. Same with beef. DANNY

15-Oct-13
Having hung meat to age, I will agree that it helps tenderize it. 28 days is a heck of a long time. You could start a thread on how long people age meat and I bet that would be at/near the top.

Course you need big cuts to age meat (although keeping cuts in the fridge a few days after thawing before you eat it will also help). Moose is a ooarse meat, but darned tasty. If you are finding that even the "tender" cuts are tougher than you like, the tenderizing tips above should help. Tell me, how old was this guy? Did he die easy or hard? How would you rate the field dressing and care you were able to give it? We all know the eating tradeoff of a big old critter versus something young.

If you decide you want to go mostly ground, one recommendation is don't make it all up at once. The fat in ground starts to get stale (rancid) after 6 months. Assuming the meat is going to be around longer than that, keep the trim in 10-20 lbs doublewrapped packages, and only thaw and hae made into ground what you can eat in a 2-3 months. A bug dense package of trim meat will last a lot longer in top condition in a freezer than will ground.

You or your butcher can also make up some nice sausage, salami, etc.

Another hint is try trading moose meat for some friends' other game meat. If elk tops your list, try to get that.

It almost goes without saying it has to be pink after (non-moist) cooking.

15-Oct-13
I tried to trade elk for moose and didn't get any takers in Canada anyway. I hunt mostly elk, and moose when I get the chance, in my opinion moose is allot better even after in the freezer 3 yrs. However we all have different tastes. Not that elk are bad! Our staple for the last 45 years anyway has been elk.

16-Oct-13
Thanks everyone. That is about what I thought. Much more slow cooking and burgers. With 400 pounds of meat in the freezer, I will find the best ways to cook it. It is amazing how beat up these moose get. When they fight they tear each other up. Mine had a big hole in his nose. The other hunters moose that I found for him, had a missing eye, broken ear, big tears in his face and bruises on his hind quarters, and side. That woudl be a scene to see.

16-Oct-13
I have had two moose a cow and a 36 inch bull from Newfoundland. I have never had better meat not one piece was tough. we grilled steaks and backctraps. slow cooked a huge prime rib for xmas that you could cut with a fork. and lots of burger.the key is not to overcook. pull it off the grill and let it sit 10 min to absorb juices. If you find to tough there are about 200 guys on here that will take it off your hands. Good luck with it.

16-Oct-13

Hollywood's Link
Might want to consider a pressure cooker for tougher roasts.

The attached tutorial is appropriate for moose.

16-Oct-13
I bought a cuber from Cabelas for the tougher cuts of wild game. It works great, but I still put tenderizer (like Adolph's) on the steaks. The Cuber was on sale at Cabelas for $99. I've seen cheaper ones, but this is a nice little machine.... Figured I might as well let the blades do a little of the pre-chewing for me!

I killed a 4.5 year old bull elk last fall that was a little tough...excellent flavor, but a little chewy. The cuber took care of that problem. I killed a couple of caribou this fall....so far I'd have to say it's the finest wild game I've eaten...very, very tasty and tender enough to cut with a butter knife.

17-Oct-13
"The fat in ground starts to get stale (rancid) after 6 months" exactly. Thats why I pull my frozen meat after 4-5 months and can it. If you've never had canned venison burger, you are in for a treat!

17-Oct-13
cook it rare to medium rare! Between me and my buddy and his wife we have eaten 10 moose we have gotten, and NONE of the backstraps were tough.

We age almost all of them 5-10 days, but normally eat some of the backstraps right away! Even frozen the backstraps were tender. even on the old bulls.

Key is sear outside quickly, then lower heat so you don't overcook!

17-Oct-13
I too shot a Moose this fall and have also been a little disappointed that the meat was "chewy" Backstraps grilled and NOT overcooked had decent flavor but were chewy. Tenderloins however have been fantastic. WY game and fish is going to age her by her teeth (I should find out in the spring) but my guess was she was only 2-3 years old. Took care of her same way I do all my animals, quickly cooled and kept clean. She was hanging in the locker in two days from kill. Shot her with a bow and she went down quickly. Thanks for the post--I thought I was the only one who felt like it wasn't as tender as Elk

19-Oct-13
Got the meat back from cutting and grinding. Lots of hamburger and it is great. Now I'm anxious to try another steak. Thanks for the input/

• Sitka Gear