Hawkeye 24-Oct-13
Bou'bound 24-Oct-13
Bill in MI 24-Oct-13
Bill in MI 25-Oct-13
MDW 25-Oct-13
Bill in MI 25-Oct-13
AkBigbears 28-Oct-13
23-Oct-13
Looking into a 2014 AK guided bow hunt. Moose being the main goal but a combo for a non coastal grizzly would be preferred.

2 hunters.

I don't know a thing about Alaska except there are some draw areas, some OTC, and that we need to make a decision soon with December looming.

Are there guide tag allocations?

Is a combo for these 2 species practical and advisable?

Are there areas you recommend more than another?

Who can you recommend?

We are planning on talking to Neil at BSC ASAP.

Thx Bill in MI

23-Oct-13
Interested as well!

24-Oct-13

B N A A guy's Link
Bill, If you are looking for a guided hunt the better outfitters in Alaska may very well be booked up in 2014 already. Typically these type of hunts are booked at least 2 years out but you might find an opening for 2014. There are a select few outfitters that can give you a reasonable chance at both species in the same trip.

You are on the right path contacting BSC and if you would like an additional option perhaps we can help you as well. I am a Bowsite sponsor and we also have a couple of outfitters who are very savvy with bowhunters for Moose and Griz.

If you want to look at options with us just let me know and wherever you wind up in Alaska I wish you the very best of luck.

Best regards, Scott Alberda - Bowsite sponsor

Bow and Arrow Adventures

24-Oct-13
Thank you.

Our preference is to peruse the larger Yukon moose, so I would open up the search to include the Yukon or an outfitter with a history of large Canadian moose over the line in the rest of the Yukon, NWT, or BC.

Are there advantages to hunting AK vs. the Yukon? Costs/Logistics/etc.? We've hunted Canada for blackies over bait before but not anything else.

Scott, I'm certainly willing to hear your options/recommendations.

Thx Bill

24-Oct-13
Bill,

When looking at a multi species hunt time is your enemy. You need alot of days to give both species a chance and may very well have to look into a move from one area to another. IE some of the best moose areas may not be a good spot for Grizz as there are some pretty serious predator control plans in areas to help the moose population in Ak.

Good luck on your search

Rick M

24-Oct-13
I certainly get the distraction and time costs of a dedicated multi tag hunt.

So with that said, moose is really the goal. It would be cool to be on a trophy fee basis for an alternate species. Grizz would be 1st choice but we are open to ideas.

I'm seeing prices in the 7-15k range, the top end is too high for my blood JFYI.

It seems the Canadian subspecies are much cheaper than the Yukon variety. If I had my 'druthers then a "Canadian" by definition with the size of a nice Yukon. Is that too much to ask?

Open to suggestions.

24-Oct-13
Rick M is on the money. It is a difficult enough task with a rifle hunter to do a multi species (successful) hunt, doing it with a bow hunter is very difficult. It has been my experience even as a resident hunter(with the luxury of having several free or inexpensive harvest tickets on you) that focusing on one animal increases your odds dramatically for a successful hunt.

24-Oct-13
+1 Rick M and with trying to stay under 15K, Id stay away from the Yukon. Therefore, I'd focus on northern BC. Moose hunts may be a bit less $ and as good of chance at a grizz.

I think getting a good bull is very likely and a grizz with a rifle after as well. But a bow kill on the same hunt would be tough secondary to what Rick M said. Grizz are tough with a bow as the primary species as it is but I understand what your saying on wanting at least the chance it could happen.

I could have killed a grizz on my Alaskan moose hunt with a rifle but no tag and no interest at that time.

I believe Boubound went into an area in AK and with the outfitter who does both hunts and is fairly successful and cost is reasonable.

Shoot him a PM

Good luck!

24-Oct-13
Yes, stan parkerson at denali hunts runs both species separate and as a combo, but does not focus on the combo bear very hard. It's more a moose hunt and then if time allows they will hunt moose gut piles for bear.

he is a bowhunting only operation

24-Oct-13
Thx guys!

25-Oct-13
Bou'

I'd like to hear more about your hunt. I did try to call Stan but his voicemail is not set up.

Thx Bill

25-Oct-13
Stan called my wife yesterday about getting her set up for 2014 on a combo moose/griz hunt she won. Seems his treestand bear hunt didn't go as planned. The hunter & guide were on stand less than 24 hours when hunter took a 23" bear. After shooting his bear, a larger one walked down the river.

Another hunter froze with a 70"+ moose at less than 10 yards

25-Oct-13
Thx I got to talk to Stan tonight.

28-Oct-13
If you are trying to stay under $15K for a combo Alaskan hunt that might be though. Your grizzly part needs to be guided. State law.

• Sitka Gear