Sandbrew 10-Dec-13
Ziek 11-Dec-13
BB 11-Dec-13
BB 11-Dec-13
GOAT 27-Dec-13
DL 17-Jan-14
DL 17-Jan-14
23-Oct-13
Planning on a moose hunt next year and would love to see some pics of some P&Y moose. Of course, any moose will do if you are so inclined!

23-Oct-13

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Alaska 2012

23-Oct-13
did not have it measured but this one will score well. Ontario 2013  photo 2013ontariomoosehunt108_zpsfe8fde83.jpg

photo 2013ontariomoosehunt184_zpsbe747eab.jpg

24-Oct-13
Did you want Alaskan/Yukon, Canadian, or Shiras bull photos? The P&Y scores vary significantly, so the racks will vary accordingly.....

24-Oct-13

24-Oct-13

Drnaln's embedded Photo
Drnaln's embedded Photo
Wyoming

24-Oct-13

Toby's embedded Photo
Toby's embedded Photo
Alaska 2010

24-Oct-13

Toby's embedded Photo
Toby's embedded Photo
Alaska 2010

24-Oct-13

Rick M's embedded Photo
Rick M's embedded Photo
Alaska 2012

24-Oct-13

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Colorado Shiras', 2012. 180 3/8 B&C, 176 0/8 P&Y. #3 Colorado archery bull.

24-Oct-13

W8N4RUT's embedded Photo
W8N4RUT's embedded Photo
Canada Moose, 2012

24-Oct-13
Ziek,

Holy smokes....that is one HECK of a Shiras bull!!

24-Oct-13
Man... some nice bulls. I wish I could contribute to this thread.... I have moose fever real bad... Congrats guys... Ed F

24-Oct-13
Here are a few Shiras bulls (live ones) that would make P and Y!

photo 142.jpg

photo 131.jpg

photo 132.jpg

photo 145-1.jpg

Those are bulls I photographed this fall.

Have a great bow hunt. BB

24-Oct-13

MTNRCHR's embedded Photo
MTNRCHR's embedded Photo
Alaska 2013

25-Oct-13

Straight Shooter's embedded Photo
Straight Shooter's embedded Photo
Alaska 2012

25-Oct-13
Beautiful animals guys for sure congrats to all of you.

25-Oct-13
Ziek, how did the scores vary that much between P&Y and B&C on that bull?

25-Oct-13
BB,

Those are outrageous photos!!

25-Oct-13
Personally, I think they're so much more impressive when the points on the paddles aren't rubbed off.

BB, those pictures are incredible. The first and fourth are my favorites.

26-Oct-13

wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
This guy made P&Y by a whole 1/4". If he'd stopped growing a day sooner, I'd of been outta luck!

28-Oct-13
Dan, I think P&Y has it in for CO moose. Just kidding. ;-)

Scoring is more subjective than many realize. More so on some species than others. The largest discrepancy was the length of the shorter palm. First you have to determine a line that best represents the edge of the palm. Since they're not straight - enter the first interpretation. Then you have to find the length (from a dip between points on the top, to a dip between points on the brow) that is closest to parallel with the first line. If two lengths are equally parallel, they should use the longest measurement. Another place for interpretation.

The original scorer is one of the most experienced P&Y measurers and actually participated in the panel scoring last year, as well as in the past. As the original scorer, he couldn't participate in panel scoring that animal. The panel evidently didn't agree with where he took the measurement. I say evidently, because P&Y doesn't explain why they chose what they did, they just give you another score sheet.

The bull was also scored by the B&C panel last year as one of the biggest B&C entries for their 3 year recording period. They agreed with the original score.

Also, the #1 CO bull that was killed in '11 went from 185 3/8 to 179 5/8 in P&Y. It is listed in B&C with the original score also. It remained the #1 CO bull while mine went from #2 to #3.

I don't really care what the numbers are. It is a tremendous bull and I am thrilled to have taken him. But, and this is a huge BUT, the two organizations should come up with some consensus on scores when this happens. It is ridiculous and confusing when two organizations, using the exact same methodology, and often some of the same measurers, come up with completely different scores. It doesn't give anyone much confidence in the system.

29-Oct-13

zachbow's embedded Photo
zachbow's embedded Photo
P&Y Idaho moose. Havent had him officially scored, but he is way over P&Y minimum.

10-Nov-13

tradbow's embedded Photo
tradbow's embedded Photo
My Idaho Shiras Moose

10-Nov-13
Wow,Tradbow, that's a dandy, congratulations.

10-Nov-13
Tradbow, that is a heck of a bull!!

21-Nov-13

MATHEWSSHOOTER's embedded Photo
colo still alive

21-Nov-13

arrow bull died

21-Nov-13

colo state record archery

21-Nov-13

colo also

22-Nov-13
Awesome Bull!!!! looks like a fun hunt. What did the new colo state record green score?

22-Nov-13
The only thing more impressive than BB's pictures is that bowsiters took both the#1 & #3 Colorado bulls. Congrats guys and as always thanks for sharing your pictures BB

22-Nov-13
The #1 Colorado bull had the same situation as the #3. P&Y panel score = 179 5/8. B&C score = 185 3/8.

22-Nov-13
Zachbow and Tradbow,

Those are awesome looking Shiras bulls!! Congrats to both of you!!

22-Nov-13
........man , those are some beautiful Bull !

Congratulations to all , and thanks for sharing !!!

08-Dec-13

DesertRat's embedded Photo
DesertRat's embedded Photo
Colorado 2013 DIY public land Shiras Moose

Gross: 169 5/8" Net: 163 3/8" Width: 53 5/8" (Green 54")

09-Dec-13
I'm drooling, congrats guys.

10-Dec-13
Congrats DesertRat! He's a pig. Did you happen to see a picture of the one the nonres killed with his rifle near we we met? It's a MONSTER!

Sandbrew

10-Dec-13
Sandbrew,

Negative...I didn't see or hear about it. Post pics if you've go them.

-DR

10-Dec-13
Whoa...

10-Dec-13

Dinkshooter@work's embedded Photo
This could be Ziek's bull 2 years before he killed it.

10-Dec-13

So hard to tell with those things.

10-Dec-13

10-Dec-13

Sure seems like this one would be P&Y. He actually looks more like Ziek's bull but there is a 4 year gap in time 2008-2012.

10-Dec-13

Jason Stafford's embedded Photo
Wyoming 2008

10-Dec-13

Idaho 2012

10-Dec-13
Matthews, Pretty curious about the arrow sticking out of the antler. You can't post something like that and not give a story :)

10-Dec-13

Sandbrew's embedded Photo
Sandbrew's embedded Photo
Here's some info on moose scoring I learned this fall.

This one makes B&C Awards at 148 0/8 he is gross 153 6/8 but misses All Time by just a few inches.

Before the hunt I told myself I was looking for a 10x10 moose with split brows during my hunt. For B&C split front brows is almost a must! I also knew I wanted a bull 40 inches or better wide. He is 47 inches wide so it passes the 40 inch "that's a good bull" rule of thumb.

Based on my reasearch most 10x10 and split brows would would be a mature bull 5+ years old and get me a score at or above the B&C min of 140.

During my scouting and hunting I looked first at the fronts for split brows. There are lots of bulls out there without splits so be careful and look for both splits if that's what you want. I then looked at the total # of points. Keep in mind length of each point is NOT a scored feature so a point 2 inches long scores the same as the 10 inch point.

I worried very little about overall spread. I also felt palm length and palm spread seemed like secondary concerns if the 10x10 and split brow was present.

Some observation on my bulls score - He lacks plam width since he only 6 4/8 and 7 6/8.

His plam length is good on one side 33 4/8 but a little short on the other 29 0/8

Right before I shot (at 23 yards) I realized I was looking at good bull and his 8x10 points seemed like a reasonable sacrifice for a bull I felt was wider than 40 inches so I let the arrow fly.

Sandbrew

11-Dec-13

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
This bull definitely was in the same family tree as the one I killed in 2012. I took this photo in 2009 in the same general area, and I think he was killed that year by a ML.

11-Dec-13

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Boy you guys killed some great bull moose. With the exception of Colorado and Idaho, those big boys are sure getting hard to find with everything that has happened with the wolves hammering some great Wyoming areas, which have caused many to put in for lesser areas and pretty much take all the best bulls in those areas. The result has been most of the bulls no longer live long enough, to get to the top end.

Utah used to have some great bulls too, but even here, things have really dropped off, with more permits issued and far few moose in general, than there used to be.

Here's a couple velvet bulls whose photo I took last summer.

Have a great bow hunt, and congrats to each and everyone who posted their bulls on this thread. They are some mighty fine sharias bulls. BB

11-Dec-13

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Merry Christmas to all the Bowsiters. BB

27-Dec-13

GOAT's embedded Photo
GOAT's embedded Photo
Colorado 2008. Ziek- It was "officially" measured at 175" and would have been a state record at the time. It went to panel and was measured at 168" and change. It was all about where the palm length was measured from.

17-Jan-14
#3 Pope&Young Alaskan Bull. The owner of our new local Archery shop shot this in 2009. 88 pounds of bone. Check out his left side. It looks like an elk rack coming out of the backside of his palm. I mounted them on a plaque for him today and my backs killing me from wrestling them. Him and his son packed it 1 1/2 miles to there camp. 16 total trips. Then packed it down to the plane. Pretty darn good for a DIY hunt.

17-Jan-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
#3 Pope&Young Alaskan Bull. The owner of our new local Archery shop shot this in 2009. 88 pounds of bone. Check out his left side. It looks like an elk rack coming out of the backside of his palm. I mounted them on a plaque for him today and my backs killing me from wrestling them. Him and his son packed it 1 1/2 miles to there camp. 16 total trips. Then packed it down to the plane. Pretty darn good for a DIY hunt. Sorry for the TBM post.

• Sitka Gear