Alphamax35 13-Jan-14
bradbear 13-Jan-14
Kevin Dill 13-Jan-14
cambow 14-Jan-14
Rick M 14-Jan-14
ridgerunnerron 14-Jan-14
Kevin Dill 14-Jan-14
12-Jan-14
What type of boots would you guys suggest for a horseback moose hunt?? We will be flown into camp and hunt horseback from there. Im sure there will be quite a bit of walking along with the riding.. Do you guys suggest pack boots or mountain boots??

The hunt will be late sep early oct in BC.. Will i need insulated?? My feet get cold

13-Jan-14
Who are you going with? 2 of us are considering a similar hunt.

13-Jan-14
I hunted with Gundahoo in Northern BC horseback, no problems with leather Hanwags and what I would suggest. Mostly Mountains, rivers, and bogs

13-Jan-14
I wouldn't buy boots specifically for horseback hunting. Go with the boot which suits the terrain and your preferences in a boot. If you have a large foot (wide especially) you can advise the outfitter early. They should have XL stirrups available if you need them. You want very comfortable boots, and you don't want to hang up in a stirrup if a horse runs out from under you. I know this from first-hand experience.

14-Jan-14
I shot a moose in the Yukon on Sept. 30 a few years back. It was cold, and the moose that time of year come down from the mountains into he valleys because of the rut and snow at higher elevations. That means you will likely encounter marsh and slough conditions when hiking. So the horse is not the big issue, the cold and wet will be. I personally like a good insulated mountain boot, gortex booties, and gaters. That covers everything. My 2 cents.

14-Jan-14
I agree with Kevin and Cambow. Riding a horse should not be an issue for any boot with the right stirrup. You may want more insulation if the rides are long as you will essentially be sitting for a longer period of time.

Good mountain boots with gaiters worked well for me on foot and would have been my choice to ride with as well had we used horses.

Plan for the terrain, not the ride. JMho.

Rick M

14-Jan-14
Not every outfitter is going to have extra large wide stirrups...or you hear the line- we had some but other guys are using them.

14-Jan-14
Or bring your own XL stirrups at $40 or less per pair and leave them for the guide. Available on Ebay. Small stirrups and big boots are so annoying.

• Sitka Gear