Pete In Fairbanks 01-Feb-14
ridgerunnerron 02-Feb-14
sbschindler 02-Feb-14
Pete In Fairbanks 03-Feb-14
sbschindler 03-Feb-14
Ken Taylor 03-Feb-14
Hollywood 04-Feb-14
27-Jan-14
Looking at Moose calls and wondering if anyone has a used " Moose Magnet" call they would like to sell or loan out?? Also if anyone has any feed back on this call both good luck and bad it would be great to hear your story.

Prez

27-Jan-14
I have been using one up here in Alaska for the last 10 years or so. Quite effective!

27-Jan-14
Yep... use it as an amplifier and raker. You still have to vocalize the calls. Buy one at any Fred Meyer or Wall Mart in Alaska... Ed F

27-Jan-14
I have had great success with it and wouldn't go moose hunting without it.

27-Jan-14
where you going moose hunting ?

27-Jan-14
I used a shortened elk bugle tube on my float trip last Sept. Cost me all of $5 and a whole lot easier to pack around. Called in 13 bulls, 2 cows and a calf.

28-Jan-14
I like the fact that the bull magnet doubles as a brush/tree raker.

28-Jan-14
I have one for my AK Moose hunts. It is easy to use, sounds good, as stated you can use it to rack brush/trees and it is a great hearing aid. Put it by your ear and you will be shocked at all the sounds you are missing.

28-Jan-14
Going to Alaska

28-Jan-14
the bull magnet would be good choice

29-Jan-14
If you are going Moose hunting, which isn't cheap, why would you want to borrow something that only costs $35 or less.

31-Jan-14
I like it a lot. Scraping, calling etc

01-Feb-14

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
I used one to call in this moose on the fourth day of my first moose hunt. They are pretty easy to make "moosey" noises with.

01-Feb-14
Unless you just like carrying more "stuff" around in the woods, why not just make moose noises through your cupped hands?

02-Feb-14
I was just thinking the same thing that Pete said...or just use a big mouth funnel?

02-Feb-14
On days with a bit more wind an enhancer will help out a lot. not saying the bull magnet is THE TOOL but it or something similar will earn its keep on the days just using your hands won't be enough.

03-Feb-14
I've never met the wind where my hands wouldn't work just fine. Then again, I don't pack a scapula or a paddle to rake brush. God made dead spruce poles for that. Lucky for us, He pre-positioned them all over the woods.

I am not a moose expert, but according to my journals, I have carried something like 70,000+ lbs of moose meat on my back over the years. And I've got the hernia surgery scars to prove it.....!

Use whatever you want. I just don't like carrying a bunch of crap/gadgets around in the woods. I'm too old to be a real "gadgeteer."

Pete

03-Feb-14
I wouldn't classify a calling horn as a gadget,necessary or unnecessary its just a matter of opinion.

03-Feb-14
It just wouldn't feel the same hunting moose without my birch bark moose call.

It weighs next to nothing, when necessary it can carry sound further than my hands (which I also use for calling), it helps me do a bull grunt better, I can use it for imitating a cow peeing, I can use it for drinking water or putting out a campfire, and it looks great in pictures, LOL!

04-Feb-14
...nothing beats a moose scap and your hands.

However, I have used the "magnet" with success. I've also used the "Mr. Waterproof" call and actually like it better because it rakes nicer and sounds more like real bone vs. the magnet which can sound a little too "tinny". The "Mr. Waterproof" call also flashes way better and totally convinces bulls that you are another moose.

The downside is it's bigger/heavier, so if you're limited on weight or space, better learn to call with your hands, rake with a stick, and flash a game bag.

Most of the time, seasons are short and conditions are such that you'll only be able to call effectively a day or two, so weigh the value of packing any call around for the whole season.

• Sitka Gear